Wisconsin fans stunned by their treatment at BYU game

• The Blue Side Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2017 4:38 p.m.

@ Steve C. Warren.

No doubt Madison has great people in it too. But you're the only one who's mentioned looking at themselves as being more righteous than anyone else. There's no need to be sensitive about doing good! If it's good, do it and don't be ashamed of it!!

We should all be proud that we're welcoming others into our state and onto our campus in such a warm and inviting way. Then we should do more of it!

• JCT2017 Madison, MS
    Sept. 25, 2017 10:01 a.m.

This is SO true! In 1998 BYU came to Tuscaloosa to play Bama and my wife and I went to the game. After a 38 - 31 loss to Bama, the BYU fans were in the Houndstooth bar just soaking up the experience. They were SO friendly, having the time of their life, talking to everyone, complementing the Bama fans on the victory, the band, the program, the campus, the Bear Bryant Museum, the bar, you name it. lol My wife and I still tell that story all the time "BYU fans are the nicest people you will EVER meet!" :)

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Sept. 21, 2017 7:48 p.m.

We happened to be sitting by obnoxious Wisconsin Fans who were using foul language and commenting loudly on everything so everybody could hear them. Resisted the strong urge to turn around and say something. The game itself was bad enough without having to endure foul mouthed 20 something year old Wisconsin fans who drove all night to get to Provo. Just being honest that all did not exhibit good behavior. But no BYU fan said a word to them. Proud of BYU fans behavior. Thanks.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 20, 2017 4:33 p.m.

Wisconsin fans were treated well in Provo, and BYU fans would have been treated equally well in Madison. Let's resist the urge to view ourselves as more righteous than others.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    Sept. 20, 2017 9:10 a.m.

I know some Wisconsin fans that were at the game, they were impressed with the way they were treated at the game and the Gay Pride parade in downtown Provo before/during the game. No at all what they expected.

• imustbebored sandy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2017 10:46 p.m.

Really? Yep, I am a Ute all the way. Don't usually miss a Ute game. Even bought BYU tickets for a while so I could be in Provo wearing red for the annual rivalry and appreciated the fact that BYU did such a good job bringing in some great teams. But let's be realistic about this. I known Utah fans can be brutal, especially to BYU fans, but Utah fans drink and that creates part of their problem. BYU fans on the other hand don't drink, so they don't have an excuse and they are absolutely brutal, not only to Utah fans but any opponent. I have noticed that when BYU losses or is in a tight one their fans are crazed, however, if they are whipping an opponent things change and they almost feel like they have to be kind as a result of the beating. Maybe getting beat as badly as they did brought out some humility and kindness.

• BlueMoonOden Wilmette, IL
    Sept. 19, 2017 5:32 p.m.

As a BYU fan this really makes me proud. Last year my son and I attended the Wisconsin/LSU game at Lambeau field in Green Bay. The fans really got along well and it was a great time for both sides. Too bad this is not the norm.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 19, 2017 1:57 p.m.

I read the comments on here. Here's how this works:

BYU fans doing something nice.

And BYU fans and those who are civil say "that's good".

Then BYU-haters come on here and say the nice behavior never happened, or if it did, it had an ulterior motive. Face palm, indeed.....

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Sept. 18, 2017 5:37 p.m.

Henry - It is pretty easy to remain civil in one's behavior when your team is getting curbstomped by the opposition. The real test is being civil toward opposing fans when your team is doing the curbstomping.

In my experience that is when the true fan behavior is shown, and is often found wanting. That is when many weaker-minded fans lose emotional control. I have certainly experienced this at the Huntsman Center with Cougar fan on several occasions in earlier years during their long win streak over the Ute BB teams .

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 18, 2017 3:36 p.m.

I might add that many of my fellow Utah fans who went to LES for the rivalry game the week before commented on how civil everyone was to them. Nice to see that happening. The ultimate test will be when Larry Krystkowiak and the Running Utes visit the Marriott Center in a few weeks however. I've got my fingers crossed.

• vasislos Holbrook, AZ
    Sept. 18, 2017 2:38 p.m.

Games at LES should be known as a great place for visiting fans, teams, and media to attend a football game. This should be a national reputation and one the Y strives for every year.

Good article showing the results of such behavior. Positive feelings toward the Y and Provo. We WANT people to come here and to come back. And giving the visiting team, its coaches and administrators, and its supporters a good experience can open up all sorts of opportunities down the road for scheduling, recruiting, and hiring.

But . . . why, oh why cannot the usual Ute trolls refrain from trying to turn such a positive article into something negative? Is your resentment and obsession really that deep?

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 18, 2017 11:50 a.m.

I've had to travel to see BYU games, and most places treat BYU fans well. Ole Miss was great, very fun. West Virginia game at Redskins Stadium was great and we were in the middle of West Virginia crowd. Very fun game, and BYU came down right in front of us on their last drive and couldn't score, the WVU fans were conciliatory.

I went to my first Provo game in Provo in many years, this year, and have season passes. I had to give my Utah game tickets to a Utah fan! He was fine. Football is supposed to be fun and sportsmanlike.

And sometimes you have a losing season, and this one is not looking good.

• SillyGander Winnipeg, Canada, 00
    Sept. 18, 2017 11:39 a.m.

Our Lord and Savior even Jesus Christ Judah (8 B.C. - 33 A.D.) commanded on the last night of his Israel-Judean-Palestinian ministry:

"A new commandment I give unto you: That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another."

John 13: 1 - 38 (34 - 35)
    John 14: 1 - 31 (11 - 21)
    John 15: 1 - 17 (9 - 17)

This is one of the principal identifying marks of a Christian who is a true follower of the only begotten son of our Heavenly Father even Jehovah God (Yahweh Elohim Allah). True followers of Christ are supposed to have love for one another which related to the second (2nd) great commandment of the Lord:

Matthew 22: 34 - 40
    Mark 12: 28 - 34
    Luke 10: 25 - 37

Leviticus 19: 1 - 37 (17 - 18)

It is by loving one another as Christians and by loving our fellow human beings as we would love ourselves that we prove our love for our God and His son Jesus which related to the first (1st) great commandment of the Lord:

JST Matthew 22: 1 - 44 (33 - 39)
    JST Mark 12: 1 - 50 (33 - 39)
    JST Luke 10: 1 - 43 (26 - 38)

Deuteronomy 6: 1 - 25 (4 - 5)
    Leviticus 19: 1 - 37 (17 - 18)

Matthew 25: 31 - 46
    JST Matthew 25: 1 - 47 (32 - 47)

A folks should all be like these fans!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 18, 2017 11:23 a.m.

The Truth:

So why can't we be as kind and open to U of U fans. Excuses are many, but in reality if we are ambassadors to the school and disciples of the faith, should we let excuses rule the day. I think not, we should be kind regardless of the opponent regardless of the outcome. That is truly the sign of a disciple.

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2017 11:02 a.m.

I find it sad that the Y has to have a huge article written about how they treated the Wisconsin fans. I am sure it is because the game was so lopsided. As I read the DN yesterday (yes, the one you hold in your hand) I saw more articles on the Y about fans treatment than about the game itself.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2017 10:17 a.m.

"you cannot make the distinction between an official flag on a flagpole vs. a fan waving one in the stadium."

Pluto:

When the proclaimed rule is "no flags in the stadium", that's called a distinction without a difference.
    #BYU-Pfail

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Sept. 18, 2017 9:59 a.m.

@who am I?

I'm sorry that you cannot make the distinction between an official flag on a flagpole vs. a fan waving one in the stadium.

#U of U education.

• Lolly Lehi, UT
    Sept. 18, 2017 8:51 a.m.

I will never forget how well we were treated at Notre Dame.

• Swan Ronson St. Louis, MO
    Sept. 18, 2017 8:30 a.m.

I can buy that BYU fans and administration go the extra mile with fan bases who may not often visit Provo. That's perfectly reasonable, isn't it? One assumes that fans from Logan and SLC are already familiar with Provo, so no first impression is needed. That doesn't mean it's acceptable to mistreat more local opposing fans, but I wouldn't feel the need to roll out the red carpet, either.

Flashing back to 1990, I attended the BYU-Utah game at Utah with a friend who was attending the U (I was at the Y). I sat in the middle of the Utah student section decked out in blue. I have to say, I expected to get hassled and would have been fine with it to a point . . but absolutely nothing happened. Of course, part of it may have been that BYU and Detmer were destroying the Utes on the field, but nevertheless, I let myself be a target for abuse and was basically ignored. Kind of hurt, to be honest.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Sept. 18, 2017 8:20 a.m.

I find it humorous that the 'virtue signaling' article is still right at the top of the BYU sports articles, while you have to really, really dig down deep to find the article about the 40 -6 rout, you know, the game article. Why would that be, I wonder. . . ?

Interesting for the author to declare the Badger fans 'stunned' by how gracious the host fans were. I really question whether they were stunned or not. More likely the team from Wisconsin was stunned by the Cougars' ineptness, don't you think?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2017 8:02 a.m.

Prior to the Utes joining the PAC-12 and BYU going "independent I attended the last 5 Ute /cougar games at LES. As I have said many fond memories. I do recall being told by an usher to not display my Utah flag or it would be taken from me. "Flags are not allowed in the stadium." The entire game I kept wondering what those 5-10 blue material with a white "Y" flying from a staff were called, if not a flag.

• niners Fayetteville, NC
    Sept. 18, 2017 6:50 a.m.

All I am saying in my previous posts is BYU is treating the big name opponents better. In my experience, and many others I know, that is true. It is easy to treat important people and organizations better, life in general (everyone does it). It would have been impressive if the ECU fans were treated this way when I was there in 2015, or the Utah fans that show up with their families, being completely respectful. It would be impressive if the SJSU fans are treated that way when they show up later this year. I'm not saying LES is a bad place at all. Just typical. The rivals aren't treated well (typical), and the small fan bases are treated as unimportant (typical). No need to get defensive. If being nice to Wisconsin fans makes you feel better about the 40-6 score...that's great.

• John Brown 1000 Laketown, UT
    Sept. 18, 2017 6:49 a.m.

If we can't win games, at least we have this. Good job, to all those at the game!

• niners Fayetteville, NC
    Sept. 18, 2017 6:08 a.m.

@rivertoncoug
    "I've been to a ton of BYU games, and this behavior is certainly not only for top 10 teams or "big" name teams. But I can say that it's a lot easier to treat people nicely when they are classy. If you're not seeing/experiencing what these Wisconsin fans experienced, I think I might know why."

Ya, blame the father taking his son out to a game as the problem. To add to my story below, the thing the ECU fans couldn't believe was how bad you all disliked Bronco. The things being yelled down at Bronco weren't pleasant. Everyone in the ECU section kept asking "who is Bronco?" We were just glad the anger wasn't directed at us (being outnumbered about 200-1). That was the biggest takeaway from the ECU fans I talked to. Either way, from your perspective, I'm sure you'll blame the ECU fans for that experience. But you know, ECU isn't a top 10 team, so we didn't get free ice cream.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 10:58 p.m.

"Speaking of juicy, Jeff Wendorf, vice president of the Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association, credited the Utah Valley Convention Center’s catering staff for properly preparing the requisite brats the way Wisconsinites like them."

Honest question. Is the Utah Valley Convention Center associated with BYU in any way? Were these available at the game or where were they made available to Wisconsin fans? Why I ask is what is BYU (and the church's) stance on cooking with alcohols such as beer and wine. (Note: I am a life time member of the LDS church and thought I new the answer to this; however, this quote led me to believe Wisconsin considered this as a positive associated with BYU.)

• byu_realistic Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 10:15 p.m.

I too tried to be nice to Wisconsin fans during the game. Part of this motivation comes from previous interactions with other fans--specifically Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Nebraska fans in South Bend, Dallas (we played OU there in 2009), and Lincoln.

Fans from all three schools were very cordial and nice. I'm glad BYU is reciprocating. I thought it a nice touch that they played the UW fight song (On Wisconsin!) during pregame.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 9:33 p.m.

I have to agree with Joe Schmoe regarding the behavior of some fans from USU and U of U but wold also include some from BYU, too. I'm a former Aggie and have seen fans from all three of these schools behave obnoxiously. It is embarrassing. It used to be better, and sportsmanship from the fans was more evident. I don't like going to games anymore because it can be totally out of hand.

I was impressed this last little while with students from BYU and U of U coming together over climate change. Good for them.

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 8:55 p.m.

Inevitable that Ute fans comment on every single BYU article. Sheesh.

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 8:43 p.m.

I'm glad Wisconsin fans had a good experience hospitality-wise at the game. But I'm wondering if they were shocked that we weren't even as good as their scout team.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 8:37 p.m.

I know we're supposed to kill them with kindness and all that stuff, but I would certainly love to have BYU's football team be able to compete with the top 10 teams as well.

@niners

"This is great. I just wonder why they don't treat everyone this way? Only the 'big' name teams they want to impress? They don't do this for Utah or USU fans. They don't do this for SJSU fans. I mean it's great to be nice and all, but why do you pick and choose who you're extremely nice to? It comes off as insincere when you are only doing this for top 10 teams."

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 7:43 p.m.

I read this article with great disbelief!

As a UTE fan with season tickets going back to the late 70's, I can assure you I have as many "stories" about being treated with disrespect by Cougar fans in an era when LaVell was running up the score as this piece had feel-good stories.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 17, 2017 7:07 p.m.

niners

"thousands of empty seats" at the BYU -Wisconsin game = 16,000+ higher attendance at LES than a typical "sell out" at RES.

Try to keeping things in perspective.

• niners Waynesville, MO
    Sept. 17, 2017 7:02 p.m.

@bluto

They give free ice cream to every teams visiting fans? Funny, I've been to LES twice with my Utah apparel and once with my East Carolina apparel (I live near ECU and had friends on the coaching staff) in 2015. In my first game to LES in Utah gear we had Y fans in front of us intentionally holding up signs so we couldn't see all game. (the sign had a picture of a screw and then the red U). And yes we asked multiple times for them to stop during play. The second time was in 2003 (the freezing game that ended 3-0). The stadium had a ton of empty seats due to the weather. My father was sitting half way onto the seat next to him (it was empty) and the Y fan behind us made him slide over because "that is his dads season seat, and a Utah fan can't sit in it". The third time, with my ECU apparel I was treated fine. No better or worse than any other stadium.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Sept. 17, 2017 7:00 p.m.

Too bad Bluto can't follow the lead of the Y fans mentioned in this article - they welcome visitors while Bluto always says something negative about Utah fans.

Kudos to the fans that are reasonable to visitors and to BYU for trying to make people feel welcome. Thumbs down to the handful of posters here on both sides that made negative remarks.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 6:42 p.m.

Joemamma,

"There are not many places in this country or metro area where you are treated like a human being should be treated regardless of race, ideology, political beliefs or religion."

You should get out more.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 6:41 p.m.

Was it Samuel Johnson who opined:

Virtue signaling is the last refuge of a cougar fan?

Or something...

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 6:38 p.m.

I love it.

Season's a mess but at least cougars scan still cling to virtue signaling.

It never ends...

• niners Waynesville, MO
    Sept. 17, 2017 5:07 p.m.

@idablu

"Were my eyes deceiving me or was there more red in the stands than the previous week?"

That might have been because BYU actually sold out their stadium (first time in a while) for Utah and we only got our hands on the "allotted tickets". Meanwhile, against Wisconsin, there were thousands of open seats available in every corner that was sadly visible for your "national audience" to see. Wisconsin fans basically had their pick of seats minus the student section.
    Also, a good portion of our new apparel is black, and doesn't stand out against the BYU navy blue apparel.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 5:04 p.m.

@Niners

you wrote:

"I just wonder why they don't treat everyone this way"?

Answer...They Do.
    I've attended many BYU-Utah games, there is no comparison between the 2 fan bases.

The real question is, why don't Utah and USU fans treat BYU this way?
    You already know the answer to that question.

Just look and see how Whittingham, and his mentor, Urban Meyer treated BYU.

Not mentioned is the fact that BYU leaves a gift for every visiting coach and player when visiting LES.

This is how teams with class act.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 4:25 p.m.

As someone that grew up in Southern California and not a BYU fan, I have had this same experience every time I attend a BYU game. Now that I am here living the dream, I always try to be kind to the visitors.

Contrary to what some posters like to say on here, I have seen this exact same kind of treatment to Utah and USU fans (and every other school) that came to Lavell Edwards Stadium. The only ones that don't get treated kindly are the ones looking for trouble to start with. You can't act like a jerk the whole game and expect people will go out of their way to be gracious towards you. What goes around comes around.

Oh and guess what kind of treatment I received at USU and UofU when attending there?

• JBs Logan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 4:23 p.m.

I'm happy to hear it. That has not been my experience, whether driving in Utah County, my team playing BYU as a different shade of blue, or at Education Week. My experience has been exactly the opposite.

Having experienced Wisconsin and Minnesota Nice when living there, I'm glad truly good, kind, and nice people were treated nicely while guests at BYU. Now BYU needs to work on spreading it around in other aspects as well.

• matman Provo, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 4:01 p.m.

Our fans are so nice and so is our team :)

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 3:35 p.m.

This is how teams with class act. Good example for the Red team up North.

Urban Meyer brings dissing your opponent to a whole new level. Utah would do well to extricate his traditions. He brings it with him wherever he goes.

The evening stars shine a little brighter when Ohio State loses.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Sept. 17, 2017 3:23 p.m.

Perhaps the nicest thing BYU did for Wisconsin fans was to roll out a nearly comatose team and allow the badgers to pummel it mercilessly.

• Common sense conservative Herriman, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 3:12 p.m.

Great story for the fans. Unfortunately the football team also rolled out a nice welcome mat and was very accommodating to the visiting team.

• Red Corvette St George, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 3:03 p.m.

I have no doubt that the Wisconsin fans were also stunned by the way BYU rolled over and played dead in the game and handed them such an easy win.

• niners Waynesville, MO
    Sept. 17, 2017 2:01 p.m.

This is great. I just wonder why they don't treat everyone this way? Only the "big" name teams they want to impress? They don't do this for Utah or USU fans. They don't do this for SJSU fans. I mean it's great to be nice and all, but why do you pick and choose who you're extremely nice to? It comes off as insincere when you are only doing this for top 10 teams.

• Scorcho Layton, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 1:54 p.m.

facepalm

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Sept. 17, 2017 1:51 p.m.

The team also let Wisconsin have their way all day long.

It was classy to expire the clock when one more play would have likely added 7 to the board .

I'm actually nervous about usu, but the thing is, this "boring" second half of the season might actually be exciting! Always a bright side, right?

• PacUtes Orange County, CA
    Sept. 17, 2017 1:15 p.m.

Must admit...Utahns, in general, are nice people.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 12:54 p.m.

there you go....pretty much how visitors have always described LES, except for the fans up North who come down looking for fights.

at the end of the game, like Wisconsin fans, I was also wanting more beer, as in my FIRST ONE.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2017 12:29 p.m.

Were my eyes deceiving me or did it seem like there was a lot more red in the stands than the previous week? Wisconsin travels very well considering the distance they had to come. I'm glad BYU fans were good hosts, considering the beat down we took. I hope the fans can carry that warmth to every home game in receiving visitors. And when the visiting team is announced, please, no more booing, as was heard last week when the Utes took the field.

• Joemamma W Jordan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 12:07 p.m.

This is the reason why Utah is great. Its God, its religion and its people..

There are not many places in this country or metro area where you are treated like a human being should be treated regardless of race, ideology, political beliefs or religion..

Whats LGBT supporters come on here and say "but you hate gays" we might disagree with them but we do not hate them..

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 11:54 a.m.

When I first saw this headline, I thought "oh no, what sort of hijinks was going on yesterday..." I was pleasantly surprised, however, to see that was just the opposite of what I was expecting. Way to go Cougar fans. Way to stay classy.

• Watcher1 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 11:12 a.m.

Having graduated from both USU and Wisconsin, I figured BYU fans would be hopeful this year, since Wisconsin has started the big machine moving a little slower in recent games. But, we have to remember it's just a game. People who believe that displays of personality, character, and common decency aren't necessities in any kind of missionary work or other public relations efforts are living in a dream world. Sounds like BYU and Provo did a decent job of it this year.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 10:47 a.m.

Classy Cougar fans are the best. Perhaps this tough season has a lesson for cougar fans? It really isn't about what happens on the field that matters. (Although I pray that Detmer will get this offense going soon.) It is about being good ambassadors to some great people around the country.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 17, 2017 10:04 a.m.

Wow! A tolerance for beer drinkers and great hospitality? Fantastic. Hope it becomes contagious
    and long lasting. Good for BYU fans.