Dick Harmon: Badgered about the offense, BYU coaches rising early, staying up late searching for solutions

• BYUToday OLATHE, KS
    Sept. 15, 2017 4:56 a.m.

All the dooms day and irritating Ute fans comments about BYU needing to drop a level or that they can not compete are just stupid! How about the Utes drop from the P5 as they can barely beat BYU?

Does BYU need to figure out how to win big games or even move the ball consistently, yes! Can they compete at a top level, yes!

A little intellectual honesty and perspective would be nice from fans!

So what, BYU is a little off, well the offense is a lot off this year. The program will survive and will have good years, bad years and an occasional great year. This is not one of those great years and without two wins against one of the last three remaining good teams on the schedule this will be a down, bad year.

I for one hope to see the players dig deep and play with some energy and focus! Let it ride and see if some turn around magic can happen! Why not start this weekend? Go for it. Win or lose so long as the players leave it all on the feild!

I am looking forward to Saturday's game! Time to see what this years BYU team is made of. Are they the team we have seen or are they going to be there better selves?

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 14, 2017 4:57 p.m.

@ Jello is Good - ,

13-16 is a losing record. When was the last time they had a significant win?

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 14, 2017 12:38 p.m.

@BleedCougarBlue - Enid, OK
    Sept. 14, 2017 11:57 a.m.

"@Jello, I agree with most everything you say on these boards but booing your team is NOT cool. Ever."

"Booo" to your comment. Boo, booo, boooo!

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 12:28 p.m.

SoonerUte:

Made the same mistake, but I thought it said "coaches searching for athletes".

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 12:19 p.m.

Oops. I read that headline too fast. I thought it said
    "Badgered about the offense, BYU searching for coaches"

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 11:59 a.m.

"Are we really doing this again Riverton? Do you really believe Utah is the only team in this rivalry with fans that exhibits poor behavior?"

Did I ever say or suggest that?

No. So by posting examples of classless BYU fan behavior, you're not proving anybody wrong.

And to add to that, I have never suggested nor implied that all Ute fans are classless. I know they are not. I live by them, work with them, and the majority are not. However, it is known that Utah fans tend to be more obsessed with their rival than usual, and with obsession usually comes an increase of ______ (fill in the blank).

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 14, 2017 11:57 a.m.

@ Jello is Good - Sept. 14, 2017 7:39 a.m. -@Woodworker - Highland, UT -

"First, I want to thank all the BYU coaches, staff, and players who have worked so hard this year. I am encouraged and lifted by your hard work and persistence.
    Next, we can honestly admit the need to improve, which is obvious, without "badgering" the team. Has judging, badgering, labeling, etc. ever helped anyone? Especially when compared to speaking the truth in love. We love you, Cougs!
    P.S. To all the BYU fans that booed when the Utes took the field, especially the fathers I saw booing right along with their children, I invite you to make a commitment to never do that again. Admit to your children that it's disrespectful, and use it as a teaching opportunity. Thank you."

Dude, critiquing your favorite team and Monday morning quarterbacking is part of the game. So is booing. These players are subjected to far mor criticism and screaming from their coaches every day than what they read on here or hear from the stands.

Relax and enjoy the game. And don't be so sensitive."

-----

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 14, 2017 11:44 a.m.

To our friendly rivals: why do you want BYU to drop down to Div II? Utah needs this rivalry to get national exposure. BYU is way too good for MTN west. Only Boise would be really competitive year in and year out.

BYU has played and beaten nearly every PAC12 team. Yes, Utah has won 7 in a row, but only one was a blowout. The rest have been good games, nail biters. Even this year, BYU had a chance to win, having held Utah to only 19 points. BYU is as competitive with top PAC12 teams than two thirds of the PAC12 conference (meaning USC and Washington look like top dawgs this year). Last year, BYU beat Michigan State on the road and Mississippi State at home. Last I looked, those are P5 teams.

BYU was a spread offense under Bronco. They trained for speed (go fast, go hard) and were somewhat small in the lines. This is changing - BYU is big now and will get bigger. I look for a very competitive team in years to come.

Relax and enjoy. And stop talking about joining a conference. Independence is better than joining the MTN or AAC.

• UU Provo, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 11:12 a.m.

@Riverton Cougar "....have you gone to the BYU/Utah game before when the game was at Utah dressed up in BYU uniform/attire? I have, more than once. I hate to say that what I experienced was far different from what you experienced"

Are we really doing this again Riverton? Do you really believe Utah is the only team in this rivalry with fans that exhibits poor behavior? Go you youtube and type in "BYU fans throw trash". Then type in "BYU fan tackles Utah cheerleader". Watch, then come back here and tell us poor behavior doesn't go both waYs?

I can give more examples, just give me the word and I'll provide a list.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 11:05 a.m.

There is enough talent and knowledge in coaching at BYU. That certainly is not the problem.

Give it time. This is simply going to take time. Experience, experience and experience.

Let's see where we are in 5 yrs. Then we can start calling for heads if nothing has blossomed. It will take 4 -5 yrs to get things going. We are on year 2. Hang on Brotha's !! It will get better.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 14, 2017 10:40 a.m.

@ConradGurch - Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 14, 2017 8:50 a.m.

"Let's be honest here, BYU will never be a top level team due to the honor code. Please drop down to Division II!"

Division II, huh? So I can understand, although don't agree with, some haters arguments that BYU does not deserve to be in a P5 because of an average record against that talent. (13-16 since going independent)

But to say we can't compete with all other Division I competition (39-10 since going independent) is ridiculous. Please try to make some nod to rational thought before posting again.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 9:57 a.m.

"I don't care what coach you bring in BYU does not have the talent level to compete at the highest level!

If you don't believe me look at the Portland State game!"

Portland State has shown that they can compete with some P5 teams.

Besides, we all know it's only the BYU haters that call for BYU to drop to division II, and only the haters that will like such comments.

• Strike the Steel Newman Lake, WA
    Sept. 14, 2017 9:56 a.m.

Before anyone goes and gets too down on our year, I'd like to remind everyone we are 3-0 in coin tosses. Only 3-0 coin toss team in the country.

• vasislos Holbrook, AZ
    Sept. 14, 2017 9:51 a.m.

Sometimes the those who comment are just plain silly. Drop down a division because of some difficult losses? Can't compete at the highest level?
    Over half the members of the vaunted P5 conferences cannot compete at this "higher level." And this has been true since the time the Big 10 was nicknamed the "Big Two and Little Eight." I don't expect the usual trolls to actually provide fair analysis, but BYU has held its own in competition with P5 schools and top G5 schools. After the Cougs' impressive string of winning seasons and bowl games it is not time to write the obituary. Especially after only one year and 3 games with a nearly all new staff, new offense, and new defense.
    EVERY team has at one time or another fallen below the level that their fans expect. I wonder if there were those who called for the downgrading of Texas, Nortre Dame, Nebraska, USC, and even Alabama after less than expected seasons? The Arizona schools, UA and ASU, only sometimes make any waves in the Pac12. Downgrade worthy? BYU has been and will be fine and will on occasion be exceptional. Same as they have been over more than 4 decades.

• mdp Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 9:32 a.m.

I believe the problem is an offensive line that neither blocks nor opens holes well... big slow linemen are relics of the past. The defensive line is just as bad- no pass rush.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 14, 2017 8:50 a.m.

If you don't believe me look at the Portland State game!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 8:32 a.m.

"[Ute fans] where respectful cheered their team, but never said anything disrespectful to or about BYU."

Question: have you gone to the BYU/Utah game before when the game was at Utah dressed up in BYU uniform/attire?

I have, more than once. I hate to say that what I experienced was far different from what you experienced.

• evansrichdm West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 7:55 a.m.

Little worried about the C Staff not getting the needed sleep to think correctly. We as a fan base need to back off. Yes it hurts to lose, but really! people losing sleep will just lead to a mental breakdown.

Woodworker I am happy to say I was around a ton of Utah fans, one being a sister. They where respectful cheered their team, but never said anything disrespectful to or about BYU. When it came time to leave I thanked them for a fun night and wished their team the best for the rest of the year. Over all even though we lost I had more respect and love for UofU fans. Very different treatment from when I was a student at UofU in 2005-2006 and in the military.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 14, 2017 7:39 a.m.

@Woodworker - Highland, UT
    Sept. 13, 2017 6:29 p.m.

Relax and enjoy the game. And don't be so sensitive.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 7:37 a.m.

If you have to "get up early and stay late to find a solution" when you are at your forth game of the season that ship has long passed. There's always next year!

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Sept. 14, 2017 7:32 a.m.

Byu has too many fair weather fans who think the world will come to an end if they don't win all the time. I remember when they booed Lavell Edwards. Many think they are so much smarter than the coaches and know all the answers but in reality have no solutions. For example the boys on KSL radio sports show on Saturday's.They hardly have any sports news.They just argue over who knows more about what's going on.

• cy1951 Arlington, VA
    Sept. 14, 2017 6:29 a.m.

As a long-time BYU football fan, I joined many who dreamed of getting Ty Detmer to return to campus to coach football. HIs reputation for understanding the game was legend. You have to believe that he will be able to teach his players all they need in order to "get it" and succeed. They appear to be recruiting pretty good players -- the kind of players, at least on paper, who appear capable of doing what he wants his offense to do on the field. Maybe it will take a bit longer than anticipated. Maybe Tanner Mangum and company will come around soon. Maybe it will take a different QB to show how effective Ty's offense can be. Patience is hard to come by when the team up North dominates the boys in blue on the field. It is hard to sit by and watch an offense struggle at the school that virtually invented college football offense. But if you believe in Ty and his abilities -- and I know I do -- you have give him and his players time. Kilani Sitake is such a good man, and his players believe in him, too, that he also deserves time to put it all together. I don't like having to wait, but I will. Go Cougs.

• Magic Happens Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 14, 2017 6:07 a.m.

Dick writes regarding 1991:

"After a brutal Sept....BYU then turned things around."

Of course they did. They played, Air Force, Utah State, UTEP, Hawaii, New Mexico, Colo State, Wyoming, San Diego St. and Utah. Not exactly murderers row.

We see this pattern repeated over and over and over. The cougars loose to the teams they want to compare themselves to and believe that they are as good as and then beat up on the weak part of the schedule. We are about to see this pattern repeated again this year and again next year. Egos are sensitive things, but until the cougars accept that they are no longer a top shelf team, the frustration will continue and the media will need to continue to promote the narrative that they are young, inexperienced, learning a new system, have new coaches, brutal schedules, on the cusp of a special season and on and on. Just another boat load of miserable excuses. To those who don't want to believe these points, I am reminded of Dr. Frasier Crane's comment to Cliff Claven, "What color is the sky in your world?"

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2017 9:50 p.m.

Wow, I wish I could be more positive like "Woodworker". But there was this sentence in the article that really bugs me: "BYU then turned things around". Oh, I think they may turn it around alright after losing to the likes of Wisconsin, Miss. State, Boise State, and probably Utah State. The problem is that we fans have been waiting for years now to beat the good teams and not just the weaker ones! Most of us don't care now if they turn it around against the marshmallow teams in the latter part of the season. The "turn around" needs to happen now - this Saturday!

After all the build up and hype we endured in the pre-season which excited most of us more than any recent preseason we can remember - the dismal showing is well, dismal.

If the Cougs don't turn it around ASAP, I think it will be a cold day in heck before a lot of us fans ever get excited for this program again. And if you think the recruits aren't watching - dream on. Okay, I got that off my chest and now I'm going to bed to dream of beating Utah some day - ugh.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 13, 2017 9:22 p.m.

I watched a tape of the game yesterday and talked to a few people who are former players. The consensus of opinion is that the problem is more than than the players not understanding the offense. There are too many gaps in the basic level of talent needed to run this offense effectively - at least against top opponents. This could get really bad. If BYU really tanks this year that could really hurt recruiting just when it was beginning to pick up.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2017 7:05 p.m.

Gotta feel sorry for Ty. He's gone from teaching Brett Favre how to play quarterback to coaching a group of offensive players who are not skilled enough to accomplish what their fans feel they should be able to accomplish.

That's a tough spot to be in for Ty.

• Woodworker Highland, UT