Hollis column: Controversial Kaepernick still without a job as NFL season nears

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 5, 2017 11:57 a.m.

I hope he stays unemployed. Let him play in the CFL.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2017 10:53 a.m.

I never liked his protest, there are better ways to make change.

However, he's not a good QB. He was a flash in the pan, something that was successful for a short time until defenses figured it out. An NFL QB needs to be a passing threat, he was never that threat. And that is the same reason that he played at Nevada, a school willing to build an offense around an athlete...traditional schools had no place for that type of offense. So while his protest might have put additional stress on teams to avoid him they were already avoiding him due to talent...

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 9:55 p.m.

This is a great example of the importance of entertainment (it's not). A great lesson for actors, musicians and athletes alike. Go ahead, make it political and the same will probably happen to you too. I would like to think I don't care what your politics are, but in reality, it does matter if you are in my face with it. I just subconsciously loose interest and don't watch, listen, etc. It's so easy to change the channel or hit the power off button. A "brand" is such a fragile and fleeting thing after all.

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Sept. 4, 2017 8:15 p.m.

Please...nobody hire him. I already had to get rid of my 49er stuff. I don't want to throw away another team jersey because they hired him. Maybe he and his lefties can go play in Canada. But..Canada might not want him either. They respect their flag.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Sept. 4, 2017 4:47 p.m.

Im going to shed a tear for Collin...

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 2:38 p.m.

I have my opinion - Kaysville, UT

I have said it many times, if you are going to be an average NFL QB, you had better be the PTA president as well....

• I have my opinion Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 12:39 p.m.

It's really a simple equation:

(His drama)>(His skill).

Teams want skill more than drama. They aren't required by government to be 'diverse'.

• Lone Eagle Aurora, CO
    Sept. 4, 2017 11:02 a.m.

Good. My feeling is the same thing should happen to all other NFL players who likewise dis the country.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Sept. 4, 2017 10:22 a.m.

Crooked politicians, and a bias media are the ones fueling racism, bigotry, and hate. They infected people like Kapernick.

The flooding in Houston, give evidence that many Americans do care for each other. No doubt about it!

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 9:06 a.m.

In addition to what everyone else has said, no one wants to pay to watch a game and have it turned into a political tool. Fine for the voting booth but not the football field.

• chans WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 9:02 a.m.

The NFL last year wouldn't allow the Dallas Cowboys to put a decal on their helmets honoring the 5 slain police officers but allow the anthem protest. I boycotted the season and still do. Kapernick has his rights but the NFL as his employer has the right to control his behavior during work a if they don't and are hypocrites and allow others to honor people who put their lives on the line I'll boycott again. My team the Seahawks has a player still kneeling and I'm still boycotting, I took the decals off my truck and don't wear their shirts or hats. I played high school football and love the game. Luckily there still is college football go BYU and University of Washington

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 8:52 a.m.

Worf his roots are in Ghana. Maybe he should go there and start the sport.
    I hope he never sees the inside of a football field or stadium again along with all those who are following his example.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Sept. 4, 2017 8:27 a.m.

I love it when consequences follow actions. Many of us, due to Kaepernick's silly actions have just stopped watching the NFL and are watching college football instead. This disrespect has spread to many non-white NFL players and they should suffer the consequences as well.

• DC Surfs Carlsbad, CA
    Sept. 4, 2017 8:00 a.m.

We are free to make stupid choices. We just aren't free from the consequences of said stupid choices.

I'm glad he is without a job.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 7:47 a.m.

The law of the harvest is still in effect.

• Chessermesser West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 7:15 a.m.

How many of us ,if we embarrassed our employers, by doing something that upsets our client base, would still have a Job?

Just because it is football, the same logic applies. Screw up at work and you are shown the door.

Do your protesting off the clock.

He acted foolishly and now suffers the consequence. Good.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2017 7:06 a.m.

He should be without a country as well! If you want to protest and have people sympathetic to your cause, there are better ways. Disrespect for something that most honor and revere will only garner dislike and disdain for both you and your cause.

• Max Upstate, NY
    Sept. 4, 2017 6:19 a.m.

Our Emotional Quotient is at least as important as our Intelligence Quotient. You can undo a lifetime of accomplishments in a 30 second rant. Sure we have freedom of speech. But we don't control the outcome of that speech. What we say and do will have an impact on our lives.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Sept. 4, 2017 12:07 a.m.

I wonder if Canadian football would take him?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 3, 2017 8:19 p.m.

we are supposed to care about this? There are lots of good flag respecting back up QB's in the NFL better in phycial talent than Kapernick and partiots of their country. I would rather here about their progress in the pre-season especially is they have local ties to the U or the Y.