BYU hangs on to beat FCS Portland State 20-6 in season opener

• BigDaddyCoug SARATOGA SPRINGS, UT
    Aug. 29, 2017 11:06 a.m.

@East Coast:

You and I have very different understandings of what 'All Star' means.

Just curious, in what stretch of the imagination is 16 of 36 for 134 yds with a 3.7 yd average, 1 td and 1 int deemed an All Star?

Sure, it wasn't what we all expected or hoped, but really? It's not all gloom and doom.

Go Cougs!

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Aug. 28, 2017 8:09 p.m.

I think there is some wisdom to the theory that the team was trying to hide stuff from LSU. Like Mangum intentionally under threw multiple passes. That the receivers intentionally did not achieve separation. That the OL intentionally did not look good. That the D made PSU's freshman QB look like an All Star. Coaches intentionally gave handoffs to the lightest players on the team on several 3rd and 1s. BYU can take the film and use PSU's playbook against LSU. Quick short passes. Finding the open receiver and converting on third days frequently. Seriously, thought that both side of the ball did not look to terribly good. But the running game started looking better in the second half with El Bakri blocking. Give the 255 lb RB a chance please. Here's hoping for the next game.

• CH Cougar PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Aug. 28, 2017 2:29 p.m.

As a Cougar fan I would say this was not a great performance. There is a lot to be optimistic about (defense especially) and one game does not a season make or break. If you are going to struggle with penalties and stalled drives--this was a good game to do it.
    I hope the game with LSU gets played somewhere; then we will have a better measuring stick of this team's talent and potential.

• BigDaddyCoug SARATOGA SPRINGS, UT
    Aug. 28, 2017 2:15 p.m.

Wow, lot's of gloom and doom here. Personally, I'm not ready to throw in any towels yet. Fact is, there is a lot of talent on schools that aren't P5, regardless of what the kids on the hill say. They are hungry, excited, and have nothing to lose. They take chances that you wouldn't normally see (like a couple of 4th down tries that would normally be field goal attempts). Virtually every year we see one of these teams knock off a P5 team. That didn't happen here. In fact, it wasn't even close.

My thoughts. The PS corners were talented. Not sure how talented yet, but they were definitely talented. That caused all sorts of issues. When you can cover man to man on virtually every play, that gives you extra people to stack the box with, making it more difficult to run. Most teams can't do that, PS could. I doubt we will see that again this year, although that is how Michigan got us so badly as well.

I personally think we will be fine. Tanner was solid and will get better as the weeks go on. Running was a bit better than I expected, and D looked very good.

Still thinking we have a solid shot at LSU and I'm withholding judgement until I see that game.

Go Cougs!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 28, 2017 1:26 p.m.

"They went 3-8 last year."

Auburn went 3-9 in 2012. In 2013, they played in the national championship game, losing it by 3 points (does that mean they were triple-dominated then?). A team can get drastically better from year to year.

Now just watch the haters/obsessors claim that I'm predicting Portland State will be national championship contenders this year.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 28, 2017 12:07 p.m.

@Frozen Fractals -
    "..."every ESPN analyst all agreed that Portland State is a good team, even Chip Kelly said that. "

They went 3-8 last year. They're mostly just being polite. Plus I suppose BYU made them look decent."

You are aware that a team that was down the previous season is capable of being a great team the next season due to experience right?

Otherwise what hope do the utes have of improving beyond 500 in the PAC?

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 28, 2017 11:50 a.m.

@talkinsports - Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 27, 2017 5:15 p.m.

"And as to the self inflicted penalties, what makes you think they won't do the same thong next week."

"What makes you think they won't improve next week?"

Exactly. All we have to go on is PSU and it was ugly, not just vanilla.

"BYU played very vanilla on offense and defense, which makes defending it and calling plays against it very easy - no unexpected blitzes nor "surprise" offensive plays.

Line play on both sides could have been sharper, but that will improve as they get up to game speed."

But don't you see, Portland State can say the same thing. They can get sharper by next week and they can get up to game speed by next week. Maybe BYU was lucky to catch them this week before they had a chance to get in their groove and cut down on their mistakes.

Stop with the silliness. Nobody in the BYU locker room was pleased with that performance. We looked ugly, played with no passion and made a ton of mistakes...or were the chop blocks, holds, off sides and fumbles also part of "the big plan" to deceive LSU?

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 28, 2017 11:42 a.m.

@MRM - Ogden, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 10:12 a.m.

"How about if they rightfully call targeting on our safety, he isn't in the game to make that key interception"

"I see similar plays not called as targeting every single week, so don't pretend that BYU got away with something that is "always" flagged."

For the record, I'm a big BYU homer, but I was very surprised targeting was not called. He launched at a defenseless receiver and hit the crown of his helmet on the ear hole of the receiver and our defenders arms were at his side with no attempt at wrapping him up. The receiver made no defensive move lowering his body causing our player to hit helmet to helmet when he meant to hit body.

The game moves fast, but to say, "We woulda killed him but for the peanalties" is silly. If not for the chop blocks, the runner may not have gained all that yardage and scored. We did not look sharp and we did not dominate the line. If you don't win the speed battles and you don't win the line battles, you better hope for luck as that is all that is left.

• fatenews Lehi, UT
    Aug. 28, 2017 10:02 a.m.

I think Bingham High could have beaten Portland State by 40 points. The game was too painful to watch, more painful than watching Hannity on Trump. Where's Taysom Hill when we needed him? And where's the overhyped all pro offense or whatever? Too much preseason hype.

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Aug. 28, 2017 8:08 a.m.

Very inconsistent play on both sides of the ball for BYU. 830PM Central Time on 2Sept will be here soon and Sitake had better figure out how to coach the Cougars "up" for this game. The players will need to play the best game of their career to date to beat LSU. Go BYU! Beat LSU!

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    Aug. 28, 2017 7:38 a.m.

Wow... Pahleeeeeezzz tell me they were holding back. Tell me they were not giving up the offensive play book.. Tell me Mangum is more accurate than that, tell me there is hope and what I saw Saturday will never happen again. I am grasping for any thread of hope. But I was not impressed even in the least with what I saw.

Completely unprepared. Not impressed with any of our offense except for Shumway and Bushman. Receivers can't handle press coverage. Oh, my.... say it aint so! But our season will be another long one. Some bright spots on D, but not dominating run defense.

oh well.... tough to be a cougar fan. But I will stay with em.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Aug. 27, 2017 6:36 p.m.

In my observation (and I may well be wrong) there is a distinct lack of overall talent in the team. I am thinking that the years of mediocre recruiting are catching up to the Cougars.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 27, 2017 5:15 p.m.

Jello is good...

What makes you think they won't improve next week?

• FanofSports American Fork, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 12:56 p.m.

Quick Observations:
    • OLine should have been able to dominate LOS. They didn't.
    • Lack of OLine impacted running game.
    • Receivers struggled to get separation. When they did, Mangum would either overthrow or underthrow the ball.
    • Very good Tightend.

Overall, lots of work to do.

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 27, 2017 12:49 p.m.

@ Blue coug

No hand wringing. Just my assessment of this team as it is the first myself and most others have seen them. Yes they won. But it's not the score I was looking at as they should have won. My biggest disappointment was that we did not control the line of scrimmage on either side. Mangum is what I thought he was. At least he had no turnovers thanks to Shoaf cleaning up his mess.

And as to the self inflicted penalties, what makes you think they won't do the same thong next week. What many people forget on penalties is they say if not for that we scored. I say if not for the holding or chop block maybe they don't get off the line of scrimmage.

• CyCarloUte slc, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 12:51 p.m.

A big Sitake fan, but this team was ill prepared to play Portland. I was thinking LSU wins by 10, now I'm thinking 27. Defense will keep the cougars in some games, but Detmer's offense is in trouble. Tanner did not look comfortable and the running game should have flourished against PS.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 11:20 a.m.

@Striker

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 10:58 a.m.

"hang on" is a bit misleading. They were in control of the game from the outset and only stupid mistakes and penalties kept this from being a rout. But still it was "horribleness" in action.

• MRM Ogden, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 10:12 a.m.

Jello is good...

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 10:12 a.m.

As long as the team doesn't have major injuries, they'll be fine over the season. This tune up game was huge. I'm not predicting a win next week, but the year BYU beat Miami, BYU had a week zero game and Miami didn't. And like this year, the first game was uninspiring. But the team got some kinks out. I think it'll be a much better game than many are predicting, and I'd bet it's close going into the 4th quarter. Then we'll see if Mangum can rally the team to a win.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Aug. 27, 2017 10:05 a.m.

'Twas a boring game. But that is why tuneup games are played early. The BYU defense looks good but room to improve.

Didn't look like Detmer even cracked open the past the first page of playbook. I believe they will improve next week. Maybe not enough to beat a good SEC team though.

For a you haters sniping and poking fun at BYU you seem to hypocritically forget that, in recent years, the mighty p5 utes have struggled terribly with their so-called patsies until late in the game. I'm very interested to see what the ute offense can generate on Thursday.

And if they struggle to the end what will the excuse be?

"The game was never really in doubt and they were just experimenting ."

It goes both ways folks. Maybe the plan was to have LSU over confident.

The act sold me.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 9:53 a.m.

Lots of needless hand-wringing by BYU fans and clueless gloating by BYU haters about a tune-up game.

The Cougars did what they needed to do to win the game, and in the process, learned alot about what they need to clean up in order to be better next game.

Most of BYU's struggles on offense were self-inflicted penalties that killed drives and wiped out big plays and touchdowns.

Clean those up and BYU wins by 30+.

• mdp Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 9:48 a.m.

So far, none of the new receivers or running backs stepped up to last year's bunch. I did not see much of a pass rush either- so much for the d line. It looks like a long year coming.

• CaptainFD LITTLETON, CO
    Aug. 27, 2017 9:33 a.m.

Not really a BYU or dedicated college football follower but I like the Detmers a lot. Watched Ty Detmer at BYU dismantle so many defenses (especially Miami). Watched Koy Detmer at Colorado Dismantle so many defenses. I have a lot of faith in the Detmers. They may not be pro material but they are amazing college football players. Koy Jr. may be small but he is a product of his family and the massive and advanced Texas High School football machine. I would like to see what he can do and see him get the experience and build him to his senior year. You need a field general that can dissect and hit surgical passes into the right receivers at the right time. Ty and Koy were great at seeing what was going to happen and then reacting. BYU fans do not lose faith. Stay away from the "Hype" quarterbacks and see what the next Detmer or Young can do. Neither of those QBs were big names when they came to BYU but they played well and knew what they were doing. Sometimes the "little" and unknown guy carries all the fight and has something to prove...and they do it!

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 27, 2017 7:54 a.m.

@Striker

And oh by the way, I'm relaxed and have been for quite some time. I have been relaxed for the last two years when I have made a very realistic assessment based on stats as well as the eye test. Mangum is not a top 25 QB. He is good, but does not have the ability to win games for you. I would argue that his long under thrown Hail Mary passes when completed were as much if not more because of the effort of the receivers and the mistakes of the DB's than because of him.

Hope the LB's step up more next game as the middle of the field was soft for us. I will give you that was a vanilla game plan, but we didn't start controlling the line until we started pounding the ball in the second half.

Stars of the game were Takitaki and Fanua.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Aug. 27, 2017 7:48 a.m.

Collectively, the LSU team is saying to themselves, "practice, we're talking about practice".

• Dixie Dan St George, UT
    Aug. 27, 2017 7:23 a.m.

The best thing about the game will be if LSU becomes over confident when they play the Cougars.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Aug. 27, 2017 7:18 a.m.

BYU Hangs on to win 20-6 ---I wonder what the headline will be if they win a close game.

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 27, 2017 5:03 a.m.

@Striker

Let me assure you that I watched every minute of this game and every game Mangum has played. I'm sure he is a nice young man and he is a good QB at best. I love my cougars, but if we are counting on Mangum to carry this team, we are in trouble.

Sure PSU was up for the game and are a good FCS team, but they are NOWHERE close as the speed and athleticism of LSU, Wisconsin, Utah, Boise State and Mississippi State.

And stop with the " if not for the penalties we would have killed them." How about if they rightfully call targeting on our safety, he isn't in the game to make that key interception. And speaking of penalties we need to stop with the chop blocks. This has been going on too long.

Before the season started I thought they would win between 8 and 10 games in the regular season. No I am adjusting to 8 to 9.

• Coach101 Houston, TX
    Aug. 27, 2017 2:22 a.m.

No doubt that Portland's DBs were exceptional but really saw nothing to get me excited about BYUs chances this year. Canada had some impressive runs but O line didn't help him much. I feel BYU's only hope now is the hurricane in Houston area makes it necessary to cancel or postpone the game with LSU next week. It could get pretty ugly next weekend unless a totally different BYU team shows up. But a win is a win and I have to keep reminding myself that this is the first game of the year - kinks will get worked out. Portland State knows they earned BYU's respect and congratulations to them for making it a really tough game.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2017 1:14 a.m.

I didn't watch the game. Did BYU go vanilla and hold back for LSU and Utah? It makes sense if so, but if I was a BYU fan, I would like to see my team just run all over a smaller program with a vanilla buffet of dominance. Isn't Portland State picked 8th in the BIG Sky? With temperatures in the high 90's and an altitude factor, a smaller team in the trenches should be manhandled in the 4th quarter. Shifting focus, many Ute fans are fired up, thinking Utah is going to have a high octane offense. Me, I will believe it when I see it. I don't mind running the ball on people, dominating the trenches and winning with special teams and defense. Stanford does it. Utah has done it and BYU should at least be able to do it to lesser programs like teams from the BIG Sky, WAC, MAC and MWC.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 11:16 p.m.

That was unimpressive

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 26, 2017 10:51 p.m.

"Other than 2 jump balls and one good pass over the middle, all other offense was running the ball. "

You didn't watch the game. Their DBs were in man coverage all game and played their tails off. They had excellent coverage. They game planned for a passing attack and guessed right. If it wasn't for BYU errors on penalties, this game would had been in the 30's. Everyone needs to relax.

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 10:21 p.m.

@Striker,
    Your comment:
    "Before little red spews their usual nonsense, note that every ESPN analyst all agreed that Portland State is a good team, even Chip Kelly said that." Trusting and believing what comes out of Chip "fired again" Kelly isn't worth a hill of spoiled beans. But I do agree with you that a win is a win no matter what.

• MoonlightGR Herriman, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 9:56 p.m.

Hey milkshake, don't lump us in with that big sky nonsense. Utah will be just fine.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 9:36 p.m.

I am by no means a BYU hater...

I watched the 3rd quarter and my observation is that BYU has very little athleticism and almost no playmakers. The WR position is especially weak. If the WRs can't get separation, it will be a very long season in Provo.

The gap of the talent level between Utah and BYU his widened tremendously. Anything is possible in a rivalry game, but after watching the 3rd quarter, Utah should have no problem handling BYU to make it 7 in a row this year.

• LoveTheKittens Central, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 8:45 p.m.

We are a playoff team for sure!!

13-0 at seasons end will surely get us in the playoff.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 26, 2017 8:41 p.m.

BYU 20 Portland State 6

BYU is lucky Portland was playing a "vanilla" offense.

After over a year under the tutelage of a Heisman winner who coached Brett Farve, Mangum could only manage 194 yards passing against the worst defense in the Big Sky?

• UU Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 8:33 p.m.

Striker,

Whatever helps you sleep, Portland was 3-9 last year. They are not a good team, probably bottom third of the Bug Sky.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 26, 2017 8:32 p.m.

Thanks for your comment Spokane.
    Jarom Jordan predicted this reaction. He said if BYU wins by 50 they'll be overconfident playing the next opponents. If they win by only a few touchdowns the season is lost. He nailed it. He understands how ridiculous the BYU fan base is, and we are.
    Remember last year how LSU was losing to JSU and it was tight late in the second. LSU only won by twenty and it was doom and gloom for the team. They actually fired Les Miles mid-season. These teams have nothing to lose. BYU and Utah have been so lucky to get FCS teams at the right year. BYU has played historically good teams like Northern Iowa and Eastern Washington, but caught them on not so good seasons.
    These teams often have an offensive output, so we're all shocked this was a defensive output.
    PSU had a great game plan, but BYU still held their own. I would not be surprised to see them beat Oregon State next week.

• Portland coug Portland, OR
    Aug. 26, 2017 8:20 p.m.

Ouch, I am going to take a lot of flack at the office this week.

• Tilka Portland, OR
    Aug. 26, 2017 8:17 p.m.

Was surprised to see the empty midfield seats. Mangum's miracle passes in the past were all miracle catches on under thrown balls. Nearly all passes beyond 15 yards were under thrown today.
    Based on today's showing it will be a long day for BYU fans against LSU next week.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Aug. 26, 2017 8:04 p.m.

not impressive, but they didn't have to be.

Portland was WAY fired up for the game and kudos to them, their D played well and kept great coverage.

If that was our A game then we're in a mess of trouble - BYU did enough to make it through the game, we didn't "hang on" to beat Portland, it was calculated to get a win.

Nobody got hurt, right?

LSU probably wasn't impressed and probably didn't see the playbook much and isn't too worried about BYU, that's a good thing.

Not impressive at all, but we're 1-0 and probably worked out some things that will make next week better.

I think we found a RB that can break out with some hard runs, and we found one that is dangerous in open space.

Trinneman needs to pull those balls in, the WRs need to find ways to get open, glad that was seen in a week where we can afford the mistakes.

Not impressive, but again, it didn't need to be. We'll find out next week if we've got a team or not.

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 26, 2017 7:44 p.m.

As I have said for more than a year. Mangum is not that good. Those that have been counting on him carrying the team need to get over that. Other than 2 jump balls and one good pass over the middle, all other offense was running the ball. The defense mostly looked good. Hopefully the D and running the ball will get us to 9 wins.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 7:41 p.m.

My fustration over BYU's offensive play has calmed down a little bit. I think my expectations were just too high. However BYU did win. I am just so tired of a so so, okay season, forget about the continuing string of annual embarrassments against our SLC neighbor. The next 6 games will not be fun. We should win in Logan, and Boise is way overrated this year. However, we will be lucky to be 3-4 after 7 games and BYU most likely will not be bowl eligible until week 10, 11, or even 12. I really hope BYU does not have to win in Hawaii to be bowl eligible, BYU tends to play almost as bad in Hawaii as they do against the red hoard for SLC. I think it's time to crawl back to the MWC, if they will even have us.

• Krmy Orem, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 7:37 p.m.

First game jitters are gone. New players have now played in a game at the college level, they will adjust. You never show off your best stuff in the season opener - that's good coaching. BYU didn't play a great game, but they did play a strategy game. Ty Detmer knows all of this and BYU will be better next week.

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 7:10 p.m.

A completely unimpressive win against a terrible opponent!

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 7:05 p.m.

A win is a win in college football this day and age ... Just look at Oregon st out of the superior pac12 today .. Colorado st scores 50 something points and blows them out !! Neither the Y nor Utah could win the MWC .....

• golfwt Boise, ID
    Aug. 26, 2017 6:28 p.m.

Very, very, bad. Don't get too much on the quarterback as he had no receivers open. Maybe we have few if any fast receivers that can get open. Amazing that the coaches at this point have no idea who the running back might be, and penalties, stupid penalties. BYU is headed for a very bad showing at LSU unless a miracle happens and could be a very bad year. I just will not be able to watch the LSU game, must be better things to do.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 26, 2017 6:25 p.m.

Wow, a lot of negative comments. A win is a win. Don't forget that Portland knocked off Washington state to open the season two years ago.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Aug. 26, 2017 6:17 p.m.

Striker: "...note that every ESPN analyst all agreed that Portland State is a good team, even Chip Kelly said that. ...they did beat Washington State two years ago with the same coach."

They were 3-8 last year and were 32 point underdogs in this game. Somebody didn't think they were very good. They win a game two years ago with the same coach? When did that become any kind of measuring stick? That "winning" QB is gone and replaced by an unknown freshman.

You'd better hope it keeps raining in Houston.

• milkshake NL, 00
    Aug. 26, 2017 6:13 p.m.

BYU is again, way overrated. To Ute fans, North Dakota is twice the team that Portland State showed. They are much bigger and more talented than PSu. Thursday could be interesting? I don't think BYU or Utah would win the Big Sky Conference!

• worf McAllen, TX
    Aug. 26, 2017 6:09 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see how Portland State plays against Oregon State next week.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Aug. 26, 2017 6:06 p.m.

Ty "freaking" Detmer and the New Sheriff. Be afraid; be very afraid.

Little did we all know this comment was actually directed towards their own fans. I feel a lot safer now.

• Lee Corso American Fork, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 6:00 p.m.

Not all is lost as I hear the BYU volleyball team is gonna be great again this year!!!!

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:56 p.m.

BYU will be beaten big time next week. I expected much more today, they sure did not live up to the hype!!!

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:45 p.m.

Play sloppy, win the game but keep it close. Clearly, this was intended to make LSU overconfident next Saturday. BYU's top players deserve an A+ for hiding how great they truly are. A brilliant strategy! I sure wouldn't want to be in LSU's shoes. I'm predicting a blowout.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:40 p.m.

I don't know if "horribleness" is a word, but that what I watched today. If BYU plays like that the next 4 games and it's going to be "ugliness."

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:39 p.m.

For those of you who spent most of last year trying to convince us that Sitaki was playing the wrong quarterback, apology accepted.

• rslutefan Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:40 p.m.

Power5 conference opponents beware. The official march to the championship began today in Provo!

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:32 p.m.

Maybe siting Mangum for a whole year wasn't such an inspired idea.

Or, as always, there was too humch hype around Mangum.

It's almost September and I haven't see one story about him being in the hunt for the heisman...the season is young.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:32 p.m.

Is the game over yet? I fell asleep about five minutes into the 1st quarter.

• Willie Saint George, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:30 p.m.

I guess I expected a different outcome than 20-6 against a State team.
    Unless LSU is not prepared, not likely, BYU will have their hands full in Houston next week. Maybe they could hope that flooding will cancel game.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:22 p.m.

Pathetic

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:24 p.m.

Well, I'm liking Utah's chances more and more now that I saw the "greatness of Ty Detmer".

LSU is licking their chops. Mangum is going to get his lunch eaten these next 3 games.

• hobbes1012003 Roy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:11 p.m.

............That has to be one of the most disappointing games I have ever watched. I was stoked for this season and had extremely high hopes and for good reason! If this game is any indication( and I seriously hope it was a fluke) This will be a painful year. Come on BYU, get your stuff together and play like we know you can! Enough of this playing crappy in the "gimme games." That was in the end a "W" but emotionally it feels like a loss.

• top of the world ,
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:08 p.m.

Ok, this is as per today's game. This comment is based upon the play of the team vs Portland State and does not take into consideration the fact that the Cougars might improve. Nor does it take into consideration the fact that they may go the other way. Based on today's showing:
    We will lose to LSU.
    We will lose to Utah.
    We will lose to Wisconsin.
    We will lose to Boise State.
    We will lose to Mississippi State.
    None of these games will be close.

The other games could be toss-ups. After the LSU game I will take another look. Very poor offense. Too many penalties...and that's without the non call of targeting. Very poor pass defense. The interception should have been a completion and was tipped only because the ball was too high. And then, with great field position following the interception...no points. Their receivers were open, ours were not. Chip shot field goal...missed. Play inside the twenty very poor. Too many running backs. None of them could get into a groove. Needing two yards on a crucial play we give it to a small back instead of a bruiser. Touchdown called back...someone out of position.

The team has lots and lots and lots of room to improve.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:08 p.m.

Every year the same story of BYU hype. Utah is licking its chops.

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 5:05 p.m.

Boy are we bleeding! 14 points over a weak FCS team. I said it before and I'll say in again, Tanner just does not have that instinct to put a team down, that winning intangible to lead the team to a sounding victory.

If we have to suffer two more years of this it will drive ticket sales into the gutter.
    7 - 6 may be a stretch this year, but I guess we might get to go to the "Patoto-e" bowl if they'll have us.

Next week get to see a team with a real "Eye of the Tiger". Maybe it will a good time to go to the movies.

• UU Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:59 p.m.

The good news for BYU fans, Kalani has a Whit coaching style.

The bad news for BYU fans, Kalani has a Whit coaching style.

For all those who chided Utah's 24-0 win over Southern Utah, welcome to the club.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:54 p.m.

That's okay Cougs, LSU is no Portland State. Keep your chins up.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:54 p.m.

Dave S:

No..."Sheriff Sitake" is going to come out "guns a blazin"...eventually? Or maybe, it's what we would expect with the cougs. Is this the byu team LSU and Utah will face? If so, it could get really ugly. Well, it's only the first game, too early to tell I suppose.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:48 p.m.

And how about Takitaki? Wow, incredible game!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:46 p.m.

Before little red spews their usual nonsense, note that every ESPN analyst all agreed that Portland State is a good team, even Chip Kelly said that. Their defense was really solid. They might beat Oregon State who was awful today and got roasted by the MWC. Portland did beat Washington State two years ago with the same coach. Penalties took points of the board today, but still BYUs defense was as good as we thought they'd be. They got a comfortable win.
    LSU just might overlook BYU now. Could be a good result.
    But, in an era when FCS is beating FSC, BYU still hasn't lost to them.
    Good win Cougars.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:46 p.m.

Bring on the Mangum is in the running for Heisman stories!

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:44 p.m.

It's a good thing they had this game before LSU in front of a friendly crowd.... they play the way they played today.... the LSU game will be ugly. But a win is a win.

• matman Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:44 p.m.

Offense offended me because according to the hype we were suppose to dominate and Mangum was suppose to just throw TD left and right, and our line was suppose to be stronger instead we were penalized so much on chop blocking. At least we won the preseason.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:36 p.m.

Not good. BYU would have a tough time winning the Big Sky based on this performance.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:31 p.m.

No playmakers on offense and an average defense at best.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:29 p.m.

Trevor Matich was half right - the receivers looked bad, BUT Mangum was also horrible and Detmer was horrible.

My optimism for the season was seriously damaged watching that.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:26 p.m.

Wow! This sort of total domination by one team is rarely seen in college football. I sense great things in the offing. . . maybe.

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Aug. 26, 2017 4:07 p.m.

Awful. Hate to say. Magnum severely disappoints. Not fired up. come do not give the ball to Dye on a 3rd on one. Are you kidding me. Worst call of the day.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 3:24 p.m.

What was the Line? 37.5 points? I don't think they'll cover. I'll bet the line will be about the same against LSU, only going the other way.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 3:17 p.m.

Let's see, to this point the Cougs have given up two fourth down plays, have more major penalties than TDs (maybe more than first downs...).

Now, the 700 pound elephant all the blue cool ade drinkers and sports writers and announcers won't talk about: Tanner Mangum cannot complete a "long" pass unless the receivers adjust their routes and out jump the defenders. Watch the replays from the bowl and the spring games. The Cougs were lucky the final ping pong TD pass was caught and his spring game was far overshadowed by the other QBs. (He had, what, five interceptions?)

Now in this game, all his "long" passes except one have been under thrown. Either Ty hasn't seen this or he can't get Tanner to improve. If this doesn't change really soon, this will be, at best, a .500 season.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Aug. 26, 2017 2:56 p.m.

Boring first half!! Get ready for another mediocre year.