Utah football: Sophomore Tyler Huntley named Utes starting quarterback

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 23, 2017 3:12 p.m.

I certainly hope that Chris B's prognostication is much closer than his prognostication about Travis Wilson.

Go Utes!

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2017 8:24 p.m.

@who am i sir?

-------------

hahaha...too funny. Hoping for a Florida school to give you a one and done at their home stadium? Maybe Central Florida, South Florida or Jacksonville St will take your call?

I guess I can see your point, it wouldn't do to tell recruits that since most of utahs games are shunted by the conference to the Pac-12's sub-regional networks most football fans around the country don't get the channel and wouldn't be able to see them play. Playing in person might be their only hope for family/friends etc to see them play. It's like you're back in the MWC on the Mtn Network again. Lol!

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2017 8:10 p.m.

@john in slc

I suspect we'll see all three in the opener.

---------------

Agreed. Everyone knows how Whitt keeps a short leash on his QB's. Problem is, after he's lost confidence in all three during the opener, where does he go after that? Chase Hansen?

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2017 8:07 p.m.

@mendonmick

Buckle up! Here we go! The depth we have at QB is amazing!

-----------------

Agreed. A couple years ago Whitt said the utes had the best QB situation in the entire Pac12!

• MichiganUte90 Richland, MI
    Aug. 22, 2017 7:37 a.m.

I was surprised Huntley was named the starter. We all get our info from the Tribune, Deseret News or other blogs. They were saying the same thing that TW would be starter. No reporter or blogger was at every practice, so Huntley must have been impressive as TW is a very good quarter back in his own right.

After having some time to digest the news, I can see what intangibles Huntley can bring. I remember watching Travis Wilson all those years. His throws would quack until ultimately missing the receiver. What he brought was his legs. I remember this lanky QB shredding defenses with his legs. Huntley apparently has good legs that are likely even better than Wilson's. It reminds me of Louisville's QB who often shreds the opposition on the ground. Let's hope Huntley doesn't have fumbles like that guy.

Ultimately, I see Troy Williams being starter around the second half of the season. The reason isn't any particular lack of faith in Huntley or Troy Taylor. I see Huntley getting tenderized to the point of a fairly significant injury. If he has a tendency to run like I have read, he's bound to get crunched. The nice thing is we have two very capable QB's to back him up.

• Harp83 Rock Springs, WY
    Aug. 22, 2017 12:40 a.m.

Huh??? This is gonna be interesting either way it will go, good or bad. Not sure why the senior QB that is a captain is going to be on the sidelines. Hopefully there is not a power struggle within the team with that. Either way, what do u have to lose at this point? Utes seem to be in the middle of the pac 12 every yr anyways, maybe this could be there jump to the top. At worse im sure we can still play mid pac 12 ball.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:45 p.m.

I called it weeks ago. As nearly every post regurgitated the name Williams.

College football requires a dual threat quarterback to excel and dominate. Huntley is scary fast and elusive. He instills fear into opponents and opposing defensive coordinators.

Its a long season filled with injuries and struggles, Williams will almost certainly play. Lets see if Huntley can light it up. Its great to see the Utes with such depth.

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:36 p.m.

Utah will need 2 if not 3 QB's to finish the season. The good news is all 3QB's are exceptional and they will roll with any of them running the plays. Unfortunately, BYU has a weak bench, if Tanner goes down, and the schedule is brutal for the first 6 games, it will be a long season.

• Vegas has Utes Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 21, 2017 5:30 p.m.

Whittingham just decided he wanted to win 9 games instead of 7.
    I predicted this since March to anyone who would listen... Huntley will rock

• bgmt GALLATIN GATEWAY, MT
    Aug. 21, 2017 4:41 p.m.

This kid has poise and control. Saw a glimpse of it in the bowl game last year. All of you arm-chair coaches need to support him and the team! Looking forward to a great year!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 4:09 p.m.

"Chris B's version of the Madden curse."

jello-rash:

Nah. He/she's not a real Ute fan, so it doesn't count.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 3:46 p.m.

A sophomore that has developed to where he was chosen over an experienced senior on an already ranked team. That's exciting! Go Utes!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 3:12 p.m.

Three sophomores from Florida projected to be starters at Utah this season. Future recruits will know that if they can beat out others they can start at a PAC12 school that has finished the past three years in the top 25 on the nation. Now imagine the boost in recruiting if future recruits were told that sometime during their career at Utah they would play a "home" game in Florida so that their family, friends, neighbors, classmates, etc. could see them play in person! That is why we must "free" ourselves from the annual commitment to play one of our three non-conference games against the same team and also change our philosophy in non-conference games to benefit our recruiting efforts in the areas we recruit. Dr. Hill, is there something I fail to understand or is the lack of understanding on your part?

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 21, 2017 3:11 p.m.

"I like KW admitting that this year is a wash out and looking to develop the team for next year. It is too bad for some of the seniors, but this move will pay big dividends next year."

Wash out? Not in your wildest wishful-thinking dreams....We play to win every year & Coach TT believes TH gives us the best chance to win THIS year.

In fact, ALL 3 of our top QBs are capable of winning games for us.

See you at The Coliseum.

Go Utes!

• SCgrad Thousand Oaks, CA
    Aug. 21, 2017 2:47 p.m.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 2:23 p.m.

Yep, slcftball. And, the middle of the pac is better than the bottom of independence, or the top for that matter.

• Tomahawk Red Miami Beach, FL
    Aug. 21, 2017 2:08 p.m.

ute alumni - Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 11:49 a.m.

No need to play the season. Utah will be NC. Wow!! Fantastic news. I heard whit is looking at next years unifirms. I'm so proud of my p5 standing and a huge part of the PAC 12. Words can't describe my overwhelming joy.

--------

Fail

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 1:37 p.m.

good for him. Thats a big step/change for the Utes.

But really- is it going to matter? They will beat BYU but still be irrelevant in the PAC12. Utah fans are you getting used to the 6th-8th place Bowl game? but...but..but...

I guess middle of the PAC is better than the bottom.

• CyCarloUte slc, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 1:25 p.m.

I thought they should have made the change sometime last year. Troy is a great kid, but a little hesitant to run when the opportunity afforded itself. I am excited for a great opportunity for Tyler. Let's rock and roll in the South division!

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 1:20 p.m.

It does not really matter who the QB is. With a new OC every year any of them will struggle as they try to figure out what type of offense they are going to try this year, and then again next year....and so forth.

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:53 p.m.

@Chris B - Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:48 a.m.

"Mark my words

He'll go down as perhaps the most important player in the history of our program - in leading us to the 2017 Pac 12 championship

2017 Pac 12 Champ Utes! Ball out utes!"

Chris B's version of the Madden curse. Sorry Huntley.

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:50 p.m.

@water rocket - Magna, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:16 p.m.

"I see this as a long term decision, and not just a one year deal. Considering how Huntley is a sophomore, this will give the Utes a three year starter. This is one of the reasons BYU probably should have started Mangum last year. Huntley will grow into the Taylor system and be a better fit, long term."

How silly of a comment. Huntley is starting because Whit and Taylor feel he gives them the best chance to win this year with the team they have. Hill started last year because he gave BYU the best chance to win with the team BYU had last year. And based on Hill's performance with the Packers so far it would seem that the offensive woes last year may not have been his fault. Good luck after September 9 Huntley.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:42 p.m.

"No need to play the season. Utah will be NC."

(faux)ute alumni:

Then no need to comment on every story.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:38 p.m.

I doubt Williams is worried much ... He will be back to the starting QB in about game 3 ....

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:30 p.m.

Congratulations to Tyler

In growing the new offense, there will be the inevitable growing pains.

1 QB making it through an entire season without injury would be amazing.

2 outstanding QB's waiting in the wings to step in if necessary.

2 other back-ups having an entire year to learn the new offense.

Tuttle coming next year.

Go UTES!

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:27 p.m.

PG Fan: "It sounds like he was going to transfer if he wasn't given an opportunity to start. "

Exactly where did you hear these "sounds" that no one else could hear?

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:15 p.m.

Wow, Bateman must be incredibly disappointed...there goes any NFL hope for him!

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 12:16 p.m.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 11:53 a.m.

As a BYU fan, I'm surprised but pleased. I hope he's the starter for the Utah/BYU game. Williams is scary good and Huntley may become so, but I'd much rather BYU face Huntley than Williams.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 11:49 a.m.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 21, 2017 11:00 a.m.

Wow! I did NOT see that coming! I kind of figured Williams and Bateman were like 1A and 1B -- depending on how much Taylor wanted to see the Utes air it out (Bateman) or read-option (Williams). I had Huntley at #3. Color me me very surprised!

Go Huntley!

GO UTES!!!

• PG #1 FAN Lindon, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:56 a.m.

It sounds like he was going to transfer if he wasn't given an opportunity to start. After they lose to BYU, Williams will be back.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:48 a.m.

We have the luxury of playing 3 mid majors to start the season, so all QB's should see some playing time, to see how they perform in game action.

We'll be 3-0 without breaking a sweat

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:48 a.m.

Mark my words

Note: I never said he'll be the best player ever, but he'll be one of the most important and most noteworthy.

2017 Pac 12 Champ Utes! Ball out utes!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:46 a.m.

I predict TW gets plenty of play this year.

Go TH!

Go Utes!

• Jaden Larrabee Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:39 a.m.

I have high hopes for the Utes but I don't see this working long term for the rest of the year. I love Huntley but the vibe I got from him coming out of camp was that he was an athletic run first QB. Considering the fact this is supposed to be a pass-heavy offense I think Troy was the better, proven pocket-passer. They probably plan on playing all of them against ND and depending on how they play, if the depth is what they say it is, they will have a new starter for week 2 and possibly the rest of the season. Regardless, Go Utes!

• Minnesota Ute Bloomington, MN
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:21 a.m.

Awesome!!! Go Utes!!!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:03 a.m.

I suspect we'll see all three in the opener.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:01 a.m.

Way to go Huntley! We are rooting for you!!

Show 'em what you're made of! Best of luck!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 21, 2017 10:02 a.m.

Shocker! I'm cool with it though. We have seen what Williams can do. I really hope Huntley performs well; it would be awesome to have a 3 year starter. With Tuttle coming in next year; nothing is for certain though. Competition is a good thing and I do feel for the Seniors. Play your best regardless of class; that's always a good rule of thumb. IMO

Go Utes!

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 9:59 a.m.

Good for Huntley! The athletic department better be sending Dennis Erickson a gift basket for recruiting Huntley, Moss, & Simpkins!

Let's just hope that Troy Williams doesn't transfer...

Go Utes!

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Aug. 21, 2017 9:56 a.m.

While I feel for Troy Williams, I believe this choice is the best one, given what I know about Taylor's offensive strategy. Go, Huntley! Go Utes!

• MendonMick Mendon, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 9:50 a.m.

Buckle up! Here we go! The depth we have at QB is amazing!