Is the right of way the right to die? What you think you know about crossing the street might kill you

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Aug. 21, 2017 6:06 p.m.

A great and much needed article. Far too many think that pedestrians always have the right-of-way, or that having the right-of-way is enough to keep them safe.

As my old drivers' ed teacher taught us so many years ago, "It won't do you any good to be 'dead right.'"

Drivers have got to put away the phones, take off the headphones, turn down the radio, and actually focus on driving. This is doubly true in school zones, residential areas, or anytime pedestrians are present.

The years of mandatory "double nickel" really degraded respect for speed limits. The fact is, speed limits in residential and school zones are set at 20, 25, or 30 mph for good reason. Risk of collision goes up with higher speed and odds of survival go way down, very quickly.

Pedestrians and cyclists have got to realize drivers cannot stop on a dime and cannot see beyond their headlights at night. Cycling or walking in the lane on blind corners in canyons is dangerous for everyone. Anyone who cannot maintain flow of traffic ought to protect themselves by getting out of the traffic lane.

No one wants to see someone get hurt. Let's all do our part.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    Aug. 18, 2017 10:23 a.m.

The photo of Brielle was horrifying.
    So glad she can still smile!

I was hit by a car in a crosswalk, not even seriously injured, and I STILL get panic attacks, years later.
    Be strong Brielle, you are awesome! (And you have an awesome brother who watches out for you!)
    This article was very informative, and much needed.
    I stress the part where it says "Forget who’s right. Stay alive." That was part of my problem. I just assumed the lady in the car saw me, and started out in the crosswalk. Not any more!

I check, and double check. Have actually avoided a few cars whose drivers were not paying attention, so I consider the earlier accident a blessing, as it make me be more cautious.

Be safe out there!

• JoshuaSFrear Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2017 1:28 p.m.

I posted a really long comment on here that just disappeared?? I feel my comment had a right to be over 150 characters long. But it gets deleted? Oh well, I'll revise it. In response to Mcclark. This is my sister you are talking about. She is reading all the comments because she is intrigued by what you guys have to say. But I want to tell you how upset your comment made her. You need to understand the trama this accident caused her. If you have no positive feedback on this article, leave. Plain and simple.

• JoshuaSFrear Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2017 1:22 p.m.

Mcclark, take a minute to think about what you said. This is my little sister you are talking about. I'm thankful that she is alive today. "Lord" knows it could have been MUCH worse. But I want you to think before you type. Brielle is reading all the comments because it means a lot to her that deseret news felt she was important enough to have a story on here. The accident has changed her life drastically. How would you feel if you had to go through this at such a young age? Not too great huh. After she read your comment she came to me crying. And I don't appreciate anyone making my sister cry. She did everything in her power to not have gotten hit. It is not her fault the dumbnuck driver thought it was a good idea to look backwards while driving forwards. Paying attention is one of the easiest things to do while driving, yet people can't seem to do it. Now if you're not going to post something positive, get out of here.

• mcclark Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2017 10:56 a.m.

I do a lot of walking, I dont trust anyone driving. All too often I see people looking at the walk light and once it turns green off they go without looking to see if a car is about to run them down. The article said the girl did everything right. I disagree, the car did not come out of thin air. Just because it looks OK to start does not mean stop looking for a car about to run you down as you cross the street.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Aug. 17, 2017 9:58 a.m.

Great article.

As a pedestrian, I always try to give cars the opportunity to proceed before I do. At crosswalks and everywhere, I try to make eye contact with the driver of a car crossing my path. It is incredibly dangerous to go in front of a car if you don't know if the driver sees you, regardless of whether you have the right of way as a pedestrian.

• humbug Syracuse/Davis, UT
    Aug. 17, 2017 8:47 a.m.

The video on reflection at night is very informative. Thank you. I didn't realize that white clothing would not show up at night.
    Where does a person buy reflective strips to put on clothing?

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Aug. 17, 2017 5:59 a.m.

A majority of folks seem to believe that the law will be sufficient to protect them. That is totally untrue. Ideally it would, but it is true that every law is broken regularly. You have the fundamental responsibility for your personal safety. This is so, whether it is traffic laws, protective orders, gun laws, criminal laws, property laws, or any others.