LDS Church issues statement condemning 'white supremacist attitudes'

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Aug. 20, 2017 2:09 p.m.

@RollFizzlebeef--I understand that it's challenging to keep current with a thread this long, but it seems you missed the LDS Church's first statement, which did, in fact, condemn all violence from every group responsible. This second statement was in direct response to white supremacist groups and or individual white supremacists asserting that the LDS Church, endorsed them, agreed with them or was in their corner. Since they'd already issued a blanket condemnation, and since, to my knowledge, neither BLM nor Antifa has made similar assertions, there was no need to include them in this statement...in fact, it would have been a little odd to do so.

• Weiss Del Mar, CA
    Aug. 20, 2017 3:14 a.m.

I am a Black, sorry , let me correct that.
    I am a multiracial member of the LDS church and I have experienced racism in the church.
    However, I have also experienced an abundance of love, kindness and respect from other members of the church. Many members I know are really embarrassed of misguided acts that were committed by their ancestors towards blacks. What a blessing the temples provided, to be able to be a proxy on behalf of a family member and to exercise the virtues we know to be true and morally correct. It is also important to know that the adversary seeks these opportunities to divide us as members of this great church. America is the only country in the world that people have to state their ethnicity on paper. Why?

• RollFizzlebeef Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2017 11:23 a.m.

Why can't the Church denounce ALL hate groups? Where was the church when BLM was advocating for the death of all cops and whites? When Antifa rioted and beat peaceful rally goers? Why now come out now and specifically single out the white supremacy groups?

Yeah, I agree with the church's statement. White supremacy groups are wrong and that ideology is not in harmony with the teachings of Christ, but they are not the first, or the loudest, or the most violent hate group to cause trouble this year. They're just the white ones.

This is not the first time a white supremacy group has had a rally. In fact, this group had a permit and scheduled this event legally. That's how these things normally go. If average decent Americans had ignore their blind hate, and if the media had not given them such sensational 'round the clock coverage then their message would have been limited and unnoticed by most. But violent illegal unpermitted counter protestors came intent on causing physical harm. If we ignore the white supremacists, they'll go away. You're not a hero for punching these dudes in the face for expressing their opinions. You're adding fuel to the fire. You're part of the problem.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Aug. 17, 2017 10:14 a.m.

Until the church directly addresses Ayla Stewart, by name, it is just lip service.

• Kevin J. Kirkham Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2017 7:22 a.m.

KevinSim - "What exactly did ANTIFA and BLM do, that constituted an attempt 'to attack and silence those whose views are not deemed acceptable'?"

As BYUgraduate pointed out, they were there causing violence. The White Supremacists got a permit for their demonstration and if the ANTIFA/BLM group would have just let them be, there wouldn't have been anything on the news. No fights, no injuries and few outside of the town would even have known that there was a demonstration. They gave those leaning toward radicalization a reason to be pushed over the edge.

ANTIFA/BLM are well known for INITIATING violence. Look at what they did in Berkeley and elsewhere when conservative speakers were invited in. When conservatives speak at colleges, they get bodyguards. Liberal speakers have no need. The same thing happened at Trump rallies. ANTIFA/BLM/Pro-Immigration groups should up and blocked roads and threw eggs.

A suggestion for the DN -My last comment was put on hold and after it was approved, it was placed well down the list where it would have originally gone. Delayed comments should be treated as new so that others reading the comments don't miss them. Thanks.

• byugraduate Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 16, 2017 11:10 p.m.

Antifa dressed in masks and attacked the crowds with baseball bats. Numberous pictures of this happening.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 9:54 p.m.

Good for the Church. In making this statement they are taking on some of their own members which in this case is a good thing. It is good for them to stand on the side of right.

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 9:37 p.m.

Omsdave posted:

=By not calling evil evil, it was an endorsement for ANTIFA and BLM, to attack
    =and silence those whose views are not deemed acceptable.

What exactly did ANTIFA and BLM do, that constituted an attempt "to attack and silence those whose views are not deemed acceptable"?

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 9:32 p.m.

At long last posted:

=Given the history of the Mormon church, it would be better for them to be
    =silent, rather than expose themselves to the charge of hypocrisy. There has
    =been an enormous change over the past 70 years in everyone's view of race. Let
    =us just accept that as a good thing and not be so very hard on some folks who
    =haven't changed yet.

Good luck with that, with getting the Mormon Church to be silent on the issue of racism. It would have been easier to get the Apostle Paul to be silent on Jewish-Christian relations after his experience on the road to Damascus.

I was an LDS teenager during the mid 1970s, so it should come as no surprise to readers of these comments that I was kind of racist myself for significant portions of that decade. I'm frankly ashamed of my views during that time. Does that mean that the more violent views of the Ku Klux Klan and neo-Nazis should repulse me less than my own views did? No, when one has truly repented of a horrible sin, there's no hypocrisy in warning others away from committing that very sin.

• timatotor Citrus Heights, CA
    Aug. 16, 2017 6:54 p.m.

I read a lot of comments about BLM, Antifa, etc. Like there is an moral equivalence.
    1st. the First Presidency has denounced violence in the past. 2nd. Those who ask why single out "white supremacists", why not BLM, Antifa, Black Panthers(!), seem to forget the long history of white supremacy in this Country. WS has a long and dark history in this country. Lynchings and Terror were common place not to long ago in this country. Those who espouse such ideology today, are linked to that horrible past. The specter of that racist ideology cast a long historical shadow, harking back to before the Civil War, so much that CSA attempted to codify it. The families and lives destroyed by that long dark history pale in comparison to those acts encouraged by BLM, etc. It seems to me that those who have a knee jerk reaction to BLM, either can't or won't acknowledge that such movements arise out of the feeling that black lives do not matter. Years ago African American men wore placard declaring "I am a Man"? Why, because they had been so marginalized and oppressed, that just declaring that they are a Man was act of defiance. You may not agree with the goals of BLM, but walk in their shoes.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 1:51 p.m.

Wow...interesting how commenter are feeding off each others' statements and forgetting what the LDS Church actually said. In their original statement they condemned all racism ("No man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ. Nor can he consider himself to be in harmony with the teachings of the Church of Christ."). Crystal clear to me.
    The followup statement reported in this article was made because it came to the LDS Church's attention that some white supremacist groups were asserting that the church was on their side. If seems to me that no further clarification is required regarding the other groups who are not making that assertion.

• Strong Man Eau Claire, WI
    Aug. 16, 2017 1:00 p.m.

I am beyond shocked at the many here who take even the remotest exception to this official statement by the Church. Any such statements strike me as unbelievably xenophobic and ethnocentric. I served a mission for the Church in a "non-white" country and quickly came to realize how xenophobic and ethnocentric I was as a 19 year old military brat who had lived outside of the U.S. for a good part of my youth. To those of you who feel to justify the actions and beliefs of white supremacists and/or feel resentment that the Church did not also call out the left/antifa in this -- Where is the Christ-like attitude in that? And, to those of you who likewise served missions in a non-white country but tend towards mitigation for the white supremacist point of view -- Did your missionary service not instill in you a greater sense of love for your neighbor?!!

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Aug. 16, 2017 12:33 p.m.

@ at long last. . . - Kirksville , MO - Aug. 16, 2017 10:10 a.m. - "...... Abe Lincoln was a dyed-in-the-wool racist by today's standards."

Your statement is false. Totally 100% false.

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 12:14 p.m.

Byugraduate posted:

=All hate groups need to be called out! No matter what color they are. All lives
    =matter!

and then Patriot posted:

=well said. Agree 100%. I wish the church would make the same statement.

In isolation that statement, "All lives matter," is completely true. But in context it's a jab at the other phrase commonly heard today, "Black lives matter." I'm pretty sure the LDS Church is sensitive enough to the context that it will never issue a statement that takes such a jab. And I'm glad of that.

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    Aug. 16, 2017 11:20 a.m.

The many posters here who have said something to the affect that 'All hate groups need to be called out' are missing the point. They also sound like a petulant toddler who was told to stop pestering their brother only to say 'But he started it!'. There are some organizations that are inferring that the LDS church supports their supremacist views. If your neighbor started rumors that you were doing something wrong wouldn't you set the story straight on your street? I think that Black Lives Matters incites through hate and is not a healthy organization for our country. However they never tried to use the good name of the church to further their agenda.

I have lived in the South and seen white, black, asian and pacific islanders exist in the same church unit and it was wonderful. We are all children of god. Sinking to another persons level won't solve any problems.

• SuzViews Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 16, 2017 10:09 a.m.

Thanks for sharing this update! I applaud the LDS Church and everyone who is denouncing white supremacy. I believe Americans have a moral obligation to speak out about what happened in Charlottesville. Edmund Burke has been quoted as saying, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men [and women] do nothing."

Additionally, I applaud GoDaddy, Google and other business leaders who are withdrawing their support from groups and individuals that are connected with the white supremacy movement.

I want to go on record by stating that I condemn in the strongest terms white supremacy groups and their philosophies of superiority, hatred, racism, bigotry and misogyny (e.g. how these groups are now demeaning Heather Heyer, the counter protestor who lost her life at their white supremacist rally).

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Aug. 16, 2017 10:10 a.m.

Given the history of the Mormon church, it would be better for them to be silent, rather than expose themselves to the charge of hypocrisy. There has been an enormous change over the past 70 years in everyone's view of race. Let us just accept that as a good thing and not be so very hard on some folks who haven't changed yet. Abe Lincoln was a dyed-in-the-wool racist by today's standards.

• Jon1 Arlington, VA
    Aug. 16, 2017 9:28 a.m.

This brief statement says it all. The basic core of the Gospel, the greatest commandment.

• omsdave Visalia, CA
    Aug. 16, 2017 9:15 a.m.

I'm surprised at the attention/controversy the subject has garnered. The demonstration organized in Charlottesville, was attended by white nationalists and white supremacists from all over the country and from Europe as well. And less than 2000 people showed up. We should be rejoicing that the number is so tiny. That averages out to less than 40 people a state, how insignificant is that? I don't understand how people are getting sucked in this big media fueled nothingburger.
    I support our church leaders in their capacity to reveal and teach principles of the gospel. When they offer their opinion on political, social, or musical event I take it for what is.
    When those at the church PR desk write up a statement only condemning one side for being racist, but no condemnation for the other side who shrouded in masks sought to take away their agency to lawfully assemble and engage in free speech; what does that say?
    Don't we value agency as well? By not calling evil evil, it was an endorsement for ANTIFA and BLM, to attack and silence those whose views are not deemed acceptable.
    The problem is many of our beliefs are not considered acceptable. What do we do when they come after us?

• p e RICHFIELD, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 8:56 a.m.

I agree with the majority of sensible comments here which point out the realities of the LDS Church's statement. To the article's author: I appreciate your reporting of these statements. My only nitpick is that you didn't entitle it: 'Local Churches Issue Statements...'. I know the Catholic diocese is too big to call you out but don't they deserve some recognition, here, as well?

• Kevin J. Kirkham Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 8:47 a.m.

In Moses 3:17, the Lord tells Adam that he is forbidden from eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but the Lord allows him the choose for himself and reap the consequences. This promotes the idea of individual agency and responsibility. D&C 1-1:77-80 state that the Constitution of the US was established to maximize freedom and therefore agency. Western culture exalts personal freedom and responsibility. Other cultures, including White eastern European cultures, tend not to and instead impose laws based on theology or the supremacy of the state. Western culture breeds success while the others bring poverty and lack of freedom and agency, even amongst those embracing the latter while living in the West.

The bottom line is that not all cultures are equal and that we should be promoting a culture that promotes freedom and individual responsibility. It's not about race. I would much prefer to be around people of different races and religions who embrace Western culture than be around White LDS that reject it.

The Church should condemn the violence of the Alt-Left/Antifa as well.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Aug. 16, 2017 8:44 a.m.

@ patriot - Cedar Hills, UT - Aug. 15, 2017 10:25 p.m. - "re:byugraduate ("All hate groups need to be called out! No matter what color they are. All lives matter!") - well said. Agree 100%. I wish the church would make the same statement."

They have. Many, many times.

They say that every single time they say "ALL people are children of God". Surely you understand that.

• JonathanPDX Portland, Oregon
    Aug. 16, 2017 8:19 a.m.

I do not understand why anyone who considers themselves to be an American patriot would choose to wave a Nazi or Confederate flag or support either cause. Both the Nazis and the Confederates were (and still are) enemies of the United States. Just as Matthew 6:24 says, "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon," the same is true in either supporting the U.S. Constitution and the rights and freedoms guaranteed within or opposing it by following either of those two philosophies.

• 83Ute Ogden/Weber, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 7:53 a.m.

@America First (2:25 pm):

"what a shame...so now not only must whites pay for sins we did not commit, but we must also be willing to lose our identity and country."

You can be at peace to know that you will not have to pay for any sins you do not commit. I'm not sure where that statement came from. Nothing in the church's statement implied that.

Why are people so upset about this statement? It baffles me. It is not a statement about violent groups. The church has condemned violence on many occasions. This statement is about white supremicists. Feelings of race superiority are sinful. Intimidating other races based on these feelings is sinful. This shouldn't be a new concept. Why all the fuss about calling this kind of stuff a sin? Do people believe it is not a sin?

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Aug. 16, 2017 7:20 a.m.

My Grandfather and 2 of my Uncles fought against Fascism. I am an old disable Air Force Officer and it bothers me no end that the nazi flag is allowed in America. They are a hate group. They and their flag and any other symbols should be outlawed. I am certain that the freedom of expression did not apply to that flag when we were fighting Hitler, and nothing has changed about what it stands for since WW2. It must be made illegal.

• Cutedog Rupert, ID
    Aug. 16, 2017 5:05 a.m.

This was a group of white supremists, not white nationalists, and as far as I could read, no LDS people were involved. Also, I have never heard one Mormon say the white race is superior to the black race.

Is it okay for blacks to hate whites and speak against them, as in the college that had an all black day and made a point of saying white students were not welcome on campus? There seems to be more racism directed at whites in our country these days.

I wish the church statement had said no race of people is superior to another, and racism against any skin color is contrary to the teachings of the church.

• dancencj bakersfield, CA
    Aug. 16, 2017 2:57 a.m.

The side that merely "opposes racism & bigotry" also led directly to the murder of 10 cops last year in Dallas, Baton Rouge & NYC.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 10:33 p.m.

rE:dancencj

excellent point. All lives matter. The violent hate speech calling for dead cops by Black Lives Matter was as EVIL as it gets yet we heard nothing -- no official condemnation. It scares me that even the church is intimidated by political correctness.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 10:25 p.m.

re:byugraduate

well said. Agree 100%. I wish the church would make the same statement.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 15, 2017 9:59 p.m.

"People are not upset at the Church, but at the fact that one evil has been called out, and the other is being protected. Both sides were wrong, that's the discussion that we should be having. Racism by any other group is just as vile as that by the white supremists."

Well said.

The counter protestors have their own form of hatred and intolerance and incited much of the violence. So why do they get a pass? It seems the Church (and the media, for that matter) should be condemning ALL forms of hatred and violence. Yes, one individual moron took it way too far, but both sides of the demonstration share responsibility for this tragedy.

• byugraduate Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 15, 2017 9:14 p.m.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 15, 2017 9:12 p.m.

I'm with the Church 100% on this. I'm just disappointed they didn't take it far enough. White supremacists are intolerant, bigoted, despicable people, and they should be called out. But they had a permit to protest and they had a constitutional right to demonstrate, as distasteful as it might be.
    The organizers for the counter protesters did not have a permit and incited much of the violence (this is not speculative and is well documented) exhibiting their own intolerance, bigotry and dispicable behavior.
    So why do they get a pass? It seems the Church (and the media, for that matter) should be condemning ALL forms of hatred and violence. Yeah, one individual moron took it way too far, but both sides of the demonstration share responsibility for this tragedy.

• It Begins In Utah Logan, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 8:04 p.m.

Thank you to the Church for making this distinction.

I'm a Utah native but have strong southern roots. I have ancestors that fought and died for the cause of the Confederacy. But just because it is part of my history or ancestry, I know it wasn't right. The "traditions of our fathers" can be wrong, and just because it is history, tradition, or culture, doesn't mean it needs to be glorified.

They fought in the name of an evil institution - slavery. The south built its economy on the backs of slaves who were forced to live without freedom or dignity. When the evil was challenged and ultimately dismantled, many sought to preserve a remnant of these wrong traditions. It doesn't make it right. It's time to separate ourselves completely from this unfortunate legacy and move on.

• jalapenochomper albuquerque, NM
    Aug. 15, 2017 6:50 p.m.

The United State is separating into 'ites' with the predictable outcome that always happens. We are on the verge of Civil War II. I have to trust church leaders on this.

Hopefully our brothers and sisters in Africa will not have to take us as refugees, though they are one group Cristian enough to do so.

• Tilka Portland, OR
    Aug. 15, 2017 6:28 p.m.

what is "white Culture"? I am white, my ancestors are white and they have their own ethnic culture. So is it wrong to celebrate that I am of Danish, French or German ancestry?

• BYGardner SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 5:58 p.m.

@dancencj. I'm not aware that the black panthers, or the others, every claimed to be inline with LDS theology. The Utah chapter of Vanguard America however has a picture of the Salt Lake Temple on their homepage. That is why the church has a right to make a public clarification.

• Nanook of the North Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 15, 2017 5:25 p.m.

@GenErik - "The alt-Left is behind the recent Alt-Right white supremacy riots."

@dancencj - "Has the church issued a statement on the violence perpetrated by ANTIFA, black lives matter, the black panthers, or any other non white group?"

I'm afraid both of these comments do NOT reflect reality. First, what "alt-Left", and what could possibly make you think they had anything to do with that herd of racist whites in Charlottesville? And meanwhile, what violence have people against fascism ("antifa") or people asserting that Black Lives Matter Too committed? Especially when compared to the violence that white people have committed against non-white people over the last few centuries? Please, it's OK to have an opinion, but base your opinions on facts, not myths.

• John in Denver Brighton, CO
    Aug. 15, 2017 5:25 p.m.

I am glad that the LDS Church was more than just "deeply troubled" by white supremacist attitudes and went so far as to acknowledge it is a sin. White supremacy has nothing to do with celebrating your heritage. As it's name implies, white supremacy is an attitude that those who are white are inherently better than those who are not. Such an attitude is false and, as the Church acknowledged, sinful.

For those wanting to celebrate their heritage (white, black, Asian, Native America, etc.), go research your family history and do temple work for your ancestors, no matter where they came from.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 5:16 p.m.

I don't think God would approve of any hate group.

The lack of a statement towards both sides involved disturbs me.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 5:05 p.m.

@ imsmarterthanyou

Placing your culture on unequal footing is simply wrong. To lift one culture above another is not a celebration... far, very far from it. I am in full support of bass679 comments. One of the first definitions of the word "Celebrate" is 1. To observe (a day or event) with ceremonies of respect, festivity, or rejoicing. Note the word respect. Placing one race above another shows a great lack of respect and therefore does not fit into the definition of Celebrate. What happened in VA did not include respect, festivities or rejoicing. Sorrow, death and humans behaving badly was all that occurred there. Hate bears that bitter fruit.

• MBB Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 4:52 p.m.

It's unfortunate that the LDS church had to clarify their previous statement concerning Charlottesville. However, I am grateful that they did. I do not understand why so many have such a problem with stating that any semblance of white supremacy is bad. Perhaps, it's fear. I'm not sure.

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    Aug. 15, 2017 4:42 p.m.

If we're gonna start lumping the attempted CSA in with the rest of "white culture" just because there were white people involved, then that opens the doors for a lot of other things. Let's start talking Holocaust, shall we?

• dancencj bakersfield, CA
    Aug. 15, 2017 4:34 p.m.

Has the church issued a statement on the violence perpetrated by ANTIFA, black lives matter, the black panthers, or any other non white group? If not why? Why are they singling out a group, with what my understanding of the events, was not the only group in the violent protesting in VA. Just an observation that no statements are made when the violence is perpetrated by non whites or illegal citizens. Wonder why now?

• bachelors of science Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 4:33 p.m.

I am glad the Church has come out with these statements. A lot of eyebrows were raised when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was front and center during Trump's inauguration.

I know a lot of people who took this as, "the Church is Trump's side."

Glad to see the Church slowly distancing itself from President Trump and his administration.

• prelax Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 4:31 p.m.

@Desertbloomer - Provo, UT

People are not upset at the Church, but at the fact that one evil has been called out, and the other is being protected. Both sides were wrong, that's the discussion that we should be having. Racism by any other group is just as vile as that by the white supremisists.

• Jason85 Ogden, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 4:09 p.m.

It's good to see the lds church progressing in the right direction. Unfortunately there are still those of my grandparents generation who were college students and sat at the feet of Mark E Peterson who was unfortunately an apostle at the time and proclaimed his pro-segregation and racist ideas as gospel truth in his talk "Race Problems as They Affect the Church" given at BYU.
    Other church leaders of his day held similar sentiments. These teachings have since been dissavowed by the church as heretic but it's pretty clear that these prejudices and subtle biases are still held by many of the lds baby boomer population, my parents included (though i still love em to death) to whom these ideas were passed on.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:48 p.m.

Frozen Fractals.

Yep there is a difference between the color of your skin and your culture. I take pride in my ancestors and my Scandinavian and pioneer heritage. But I am not proud of it because of the color of my skin nor the color of my ancestors skin. I am proud of it because of what they did, and who they were, the skin color is irrelevant.

• Desertbloomer Provo, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:43 p.m.

It's rather disturbing how many people are angry at the church. White supremacy and racism is and has always been against God's plan.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:41 p.m.

@GenErik
    "Why were the police ordered to stand down when they could have prevented the violence? "

The white supremacists came armed... with guns, and guns make it difficult for police to get involved. Same reason why that Bundy standoff over the cattle in Nevada ended up the militia fending off the cattle seizure.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:28 p.m.

@imsmarterthanyou
    "So it's sinful to celebrate your heritage if you're white because if you do you are a racist. "

There's St. Patrick's Day, Octoberfest, we get Christmas markets around the world derived from the central european tradition in Germany and surrounding areas and no shortage of cultural events with dance (Irish, Russian, etc), and food (literally from anywhere), and dress, and whatever really. Does anyone have a problem with those events based on things from predominantly white countries? I don't think so. We just had a different kind of heritage celebration a few weeks ago with Pioneer Day.

What is white culture? It's not those things because whiteness isn't what matters there.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:21 p.m.

"Church members who promote or pursue a 'white culture' or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church."
    I read this as the Church is condemning behavior to establish a culture that is white, rather, a society devoid of anyone not belonging to the Caucasian race. It is NOT condemning the heritage or culture that white Americans belong to. If we are going by culturally "white" behaviors, I've met black people, Asian people, Latinos, and Native Americans that are as "white" as you or I. It's not white culture; it's American culture.

• 2close2call Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:19 p.m.

Wow, surprised at the number of Deseret News readers and commenters that appear to be for the "white nationalists". By the way if "white nationalists" don't want to be called Nazi's, I recommend the don't go around waving the Nazi flag at protests, like many were shown to. Just my .02.

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:09 p.m.

It is both remarkable and alarming that this statement needs to be issued at all. I am still trying to recover from Trump's news conference today. What's next? All I know is that all churches and institutions of virtue need to continue to speak out against the ugliness that is bubbling up in this country and condoned if not supported by the facade of a leader in the White House.

• Going Outdoors San Ramon, CA
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:10 p.m.

This statement has no weight until you put the essay on blacks and the priesthood on the front page of the Ensign WITH a heart felt apology. Then in the next issue disavow and apologize for decades of collateral damage for the absolutely blatant racism of the white & delightsome doctrine from the Book of Mormon and past leaders. Until that happens you are spitting in the wind.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:06 p.m.

There is nothing saying you can't be proud of your heritage. The problem arises when you begin to believe that because other cultures and races are moving into your neighborhood or country that it is somehow minimizing your heritage or culture or value.

• GenErik Ventura, CA
    Aug. 15, 2017 3:02 p.m.

The alt-Left is behind the recent Alt-Right white supremacy riots. The so called alt-Left groups were infiltrated and organized by alt-Left people plus the Democrat Gov, Mayor and Police chief who were all too happy to lay the trap. Why were the police ordered to stand down when they could have prevented the violence? Who told the police to stand down.

All racism is bad but the alt-Left is trying to divide, conquer, smear and take under mind the President and all conservatives. They can not win a debate of ideas so they resort to trying to pin criminal acts on opponents which they set up. Time for us to quit being puppets in their efforts to overthrow the country.

• prelax Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 2:59 p.m.

I think they put themselves in a bad position by not condemning all hate groups.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Aug. 15, 2017 2:57 p.m.

@Nanook.
    Interesting perspective.

So, one can celebrate their Northern European ancestry, just not too loudly or publicly.

Are you saying that if one does not exhibit white guilt, then they might be guilty of white supremacy?

Or is there a common sense middle path that allows one to treat others with dignity and respect, courtesy and kindness, and at the same time allows one to not be embarrassed that their German and English ancestors came to America, settled in Georgia and raised children that had a southern accent?

• Pacer Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 2:43 p.m.

With some of the comments on here you'd think the Church had announced they were canceling the Pioneer Day parade AND the lights at Temple Square.

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 2:40 p.m.

@imsmarterthanyou
    I see nothing in this statement by the church that says white people can't celebrate their heritage. My understanding is that the church encourages everyone to celebrate their heritage, no matter what race or nationality we all come from. I celebrate my pioneer heritage, ancestors who were early American colonists, and my European heritage from various countries before my ancestors came to this great land. In none of this do I believe that my heritage, nationality, nor my ethnicity makes me better than anyone else. We are all equal in God's eyes.

The church has a Lamanite Generation group at BYU, and is certainly celebrating that heritage, but having this group does not promote that this group of people is ethnically or morally superior to any other group. My reading of their statement is that whites/Caucasians should not say they are superior. White supremacists who believe that every other race is inferior and should be subservient are morally reprehensible. I believe that anyone from any other race who held similar views that their race is superior to all others would be in an equally bad moral position.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 2:31 p.m.

To szmith in Bountiful, nothing is ever 'too little too late' , for instance, we still mourn that previous presidents created an explosion of lawsuit culture and to 'imsmarterthanyou', who said you can't celebrate your heritage? Sing and dance all day long, just try not to attack others in a car. We are talking common sense here, which the church believes in.

• American First Merced, CA
    Aug. 15, 2017 2:25 p.m.

Wow this sure sounds like pandering to political pressure to me, what a shame...so now not only must whites pay for sins we did not commit, but we must also be willing to lose our identity and country. The way is much more narrow than I thought.

• Nanook of the North Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 15, 2017 2:09 p.m.

To those who are worried about "white culture": "White culture" exists. In fact, it not only exists, but it is pervasive and ENDEMIC around the world, thanks to imperialism. Movies, TV shows, media, the Internet ... even most computer languages are based on English words. "White culture" DOES NOT NEED "protection" or whatever ... if anything, it needs to back off and make room for other cultures. So if you say you "just" want to promote "white culture", you're either blind to the reality out there, or you're using code words for "white supremacy".

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Aug. 15, 2017 2:06 p.m.

@imsmarterthanyou
    There's a stark difference between celebrating your heritage and advocating racial superiority and/or purity. Do you not understand the distinction? That you can be proud of your heritage without disparaging others?

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 1:58 p.m.

So it's sinful to celebrate your heritage if you're white because if you do you are a racist. However, if you are any other race, the church will even provide a place for your racist rally at BYU, Hawaii, or any of their other numerous properties worldwide. Lamanite Generations at BYU is only one of hundreds of examples. But that is the way of hypocrites.

• szmith Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 1:39 p.m.

So, is this "too little, too late" as well?

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Aug. 15, 2017 1:33 p.m.

Wonderful to see this but there are always some who will turn a blind eye to the explicit statements from church leaders. I'm sure we'll hear more on this topic in October.

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 1:30 p.m.

Amen.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 1:30 p.m.

Hopefully this is strong enough for any of you still under the delusion that the LDS church condones white supremacy attitudes (including mitigating or minimizing them because "others have been violent who weren't white supremacists").

The violence perpetrated in VA over the weekend is evil and wrong, period. The white supremacists in VA had hatred on their minds because that's all they know...there is no other voice in their groupthink culture that lends reason or harmony to their closed and narrow-minded thinking.