5 secrets you need to know before becoming a teacher

• Lolly Lehi, UT
    Sept. 12, 2017 8:07 a.m.

It is interesting that the Roy High article and this one would appear in the same edition of the DN.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Sept. 5, 2017 4:44 p.m.

Are there risks associated with teaching? Sure! Same as with any occupation.
    Between teaching jobs, I worked in a metal fabrication factory--once as a parts assembly man and once as an administrative assistant with plant safety as part of my job.
    I needn't relate the list of injuries, including life-threatening ones, I witnessed. I even came close to losing a finger or two to a punch press when on the assembly line.
    In my teaching years, allegations of misconduct were more rare than the frequent plant accidents. Most teachers faced minor complaints from parents and students, but these were manageable. My observations were that most students respected most teachers even if a teacher was not a "favorite."
    Since retiring, I now substitute in a number of schools. IMO recent innovations in education have resulted in improved quality of teachers and students.
    Teaching is not a profession one should avoid because of the risks. Rather, the rewards overwhelm any real or imagined peril. One of those comes when meeting former pupils outside educational settings and renewing friendships.

• golf tooele, UT
    Aug. 31, 2017 1:37 p.m.

If your looking for a dead end job with very little respect then teaching is it. I'm sure you will love the pay. One bonus is your kids will qualify for free school lunch.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 18, 2017 6:31 p.m.

I have had several "careers." I loved my 19 years of teaching full time on 2700 South in SLC. The article covered many important factors in becoming a teacher, and it certainly is an attainable goal. However, if you don't truly love working with people (children AND adults), it won't work. It is essential to have a huge dose of patience and resilience. I would say I attained those through the grace of God, and I would say that it wouldn't have worked had I not had children of my own and had a start on those qualities, thanks to my children.

• mgw1947 Pocatello, ID
    Aug. 17, 2017 6:56 a.m.

Am a retired USA public school teacher living in Chile, and the "five secrets" are all good. If you
    love teaching and children of all ages, they will know it and love you back. If you respect yourself and your students, they will feel that and respect you. It was always an adventure, never boring, and I wouldn't change any of it if I could do it again.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2017 12:21 p.m.

Warning!!! If you plan to become a teacher you better bring a teacher's aid/witness with you every day unless you are willing to take the chance of some spoiled brat pointing a finger at you screaming sex offender and have the entire school district, the cops, and the community out for your blood. Good luck with that.