2 Weber County couples killed in plane crash on I-15

Witness says plane 'just nose-dived into the middle of the freeway'

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 27, 2017 4:21 p.m.

@BobbyPaluga

I've flown out of that airport many times on the same runway. It looks like he was making a normal departure, turned north, and then lost control. He was still in contact with Ogden Tower when it happened. Apparently there is one pilot who saw everything from beginning to end. Hopefully that will help sort things out. This sounds like mechanical failure more than pilot error though.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    July 27, 2017 11:04 a.m.

I knew Layne. He was a good guy. Built a multi million dollar business with his brother and wife. Sold it a few years ago to a conglomeration and made big bucks and stayed on to run it. He was an awesome snowmobile rider and great Dad. But, after losing his brother, 15 years ago, in an aviation crash, I never understood why he kept flying light aircraft. He had enough cash to fly him, his family and friends all over the world-first class. My condolences to his family, friends and employees. He was one of the good guys.

• zgomer Prestron, ID
    July 27, 2017 9:16 a.m.

How sad...we travel through there often and will see what is left on the road. Their work is done here, now they in the arms of heavenly father. It is a shock but somehow the kids will carry on, I am sure they were taught well by their parents. Shows that anything can happen at anytime. They can RIP now.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    July 27, 2017 6:39 a.m.

I am curious about the eyewitness account that the plane flew straight down into the ground. I have flown small planes and planes do not nose dive straight down unless the pilot flies the plane in that direction. Maybe some part of the aircraft disengaged ( aileron, which controls roll or banks) that disabled the plane. This is very tragic for both families.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2017 10:02 p.m.

Just horrible for both families, co-workers, friends, and neighbors. Both couples have 4 children. This is the 2nd son the Clarke family has lost in a plane accident since 2000. Condolences to the families. This reminds one of the terrible plane accident that killed Randy Wells and his two children back in February. He too loved flying and planes.

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    July 26, 2017 9:50 p.m.

It doesn't get much worse than this, two families devastated in a couple of seconds. I know that all who loved these folks are going through a horrible and painful period. I along with the vast majority of the readers wish we could help in some way nobody deserves this. It seems as if a too large a number of Utah connected folks have lost their lives in single engine private aircraft accidents, I hope the cause can be found and other pilots advised.
    There could be a number of reasons the aircraft stalled, the Bonanza is a little tricky to fly. If I had to guess I'd look at fuel issues, switching tanks problem etc. The Bonanza has earned the nickname "Fork Tailed Doctor Killers" given it was a popular aircraft for physicians who happen to be pilots. I've lost several friends who flew this model.