Scottish Mormon in Parliament talks Theresa May and Europe's future

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    July 11, 2017 1:36 p.m.

This guy (bloke) seems OK. I must say that people in the Church do not all have the same opinions. However I would say to the young British sister, as I would say to any person in the United States: When a Referendum or Presidential Election is held we stand by the results.

It's hard when you cannot find a partner though. You could apply for BYU and may have better luck there, but the cultural differences between the UK and US is a a potential problem sometimes. On the whole I would guess that an American man marrying a British girl might be surprised, though, to find her easier to get along with than an American wife. Otoh I know of two American girls who were disappointed when they married American boys, though I don't know what the problems were. I know of at least one successful situation when an American man married a British girl. I wish the British sister success however in her marital aspirations. Don't give up.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 8, 2017 9:30 p.m.

@airnaut

What are you gong on about?
    you said:

"The LDS church had to nearly ram-rod that piece of legislation - the Utah Compact - down the throats of nearly every Utah State Mormon legislator - kicking and screaming".

The Utah compact was crafted by Elder L. Tom Parry and the LDS Church. It was an easy sale and was passed by the 90% LDS legislature with a breeze.

Stop looking for Straw-men.

• LDS-Ginny United Kingdom, 00
    July 7, 2017 7:55 a.m.

I have met Stephen Kerr at the UK & Ireland Single Adult Conference that he was involved in setting up. We have this conference every August in Manchester. I am not bothered about the party he is representing as each member as the right to their own political destiny. I myself am a member of the Liberal Democrat Party. I am, however, very upset that he is in support of Brexit. As someone I thought was on the side of the Single Adults in the church I am very surprised. In the UK we have more single sisters than brethren. If we found spouses from abroad we can't bring them over to the UK as they cannot have recourse to public funds for five years and the UK person has to earn £18500 per year. Most single sister earn less than this. These rules did not apply if the spouse came from another EU state. This will end once the UK Brexits and the same rules will apply to spouses from the EU. Also the Brexit is destructive and is not good for anyone. Our cost of living will go up and we will lose the sense of security and unity the EU provides for us. The referendum was full of lies and a lot of those that voted leave (which was only a 3.1%) majority.

• Strawberry shortcake ,
    July 6, 2017 12:23 p.m.

I think it's brilliant that we now have three church members as Members of Parliament. Whatever party they are members of, it must be a good thing in so many ways. They have the opportunity to influence policies for good and improve so much within their constituencies.

• Susan B GB, 00
    July 6, 2017 9:23 a.m.

Whilst Mr Kerr is an outstanding member of the church. I cannot understand why he would support the Tories deal with the dup. Bribe them to the tune of £1bn and support the insidious attacks on the disabled and poor. The consistent underfunding g of our public services, police fire and health. I cannot reconcile the torie ethics with the Ethics and belief of the church. Whilst we all need to be self reliant we also need to be charitable a d christlike. The Tories are neither.

• 7 limefield crescent Scotland, 00
    July 6, 2017 8:27 a.m.

Please can you change your remarks under the picture of Bro. Kerr , regarding his representing the people of Stirling Scotland in the British Parliament , He is only representing the people who voted for him as not everyone (even members of the church ) will have voted for him or the political party he represents. I personally don't live within his constituency but I know many who do and although he personally is a man of integrity the party he represents doesn't always show that same integrity as he does .

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    July 4, 2017 9:26 a.m.

Ssev posted:

=Where is the Prince of Peace in all of this? When did war and fighting replace
    =the fullness of the Gospel of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount?

The Prince of Peace usually works through the Holy Spirit, and I'm sure Stephen Kerr takes the Holy Spirit with him to Parliament every time he goes.

• ssev Maple Grove, MN
    July 4, 2017 8:08 a.m.

SK: The public feeling in this country is resolution. We're going to stand together and we're going to stand against hate, this twisted ideology that leads people to do such terrible, wicked things. We will stand together, and we will continue to preserve our way of life. ... We're absolutely resolute. ... We have first-class police and security in Britain. In the June 3 incident, the police took eight minutes to get to the scene in Borough Market and neutralize the three people who were doing the terrible things they were doing. ... You remember the Second World War poster: Keep Calm and Carry On. That's what we have to do, keep wits about us, and keep calm and carry on. Otherwise, we give those people the victory they must not have. ... The church is genuinely admired, and it's not a disadvantage at all. ... Although we are members of the church, when we are acting as legislators, we take that view. ... "

Where is the Prince of Peace in all of this? When did war and fighting replace the fullness of the Gospel of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount?

• airnaut Everett, 00
    July 3, 2017 1:16 p.m.

Having lived in the UK and other places,
    this interview is suspect.

Mainly - "Conservatives" in the UK would be considered left-wing Liberals in America.
    Just like Ronald Reagan could NEVER be elected by "conservatives" today.

As for this comment:
    "Utah's a good example on the issue of religious freedom. In Utah, you dealt with the rights of significant minorities, an issue of respect which lies at the heart of civil society. We're dealing with that in a similar way."

The LDS church had to nearly ram-rod that piece of legislation - the Utah Compact - down the throats of nearly every Utah State Mormon legislator - kicking and screaming.

They also endorsed Donald Trump -- someone the church, and this newspaper did not.

• Thomas Thompson SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 3, 2017 10:58 a.m.

I'm suspicious of anyone, but especially a politician, who insists on calling himself a "patriot" in a public media report. Even assuming the truth of the assertion, it seems a bit much.