Note to bosses: Keeping older workers employed helps the bottom line

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 8, 2017 11:21 a.m.

Retirement, like religion, should be a personal choice. if, for example, you have various ailments and want to have some time with quality of life prior to disability then early retirement is a good idea. So, too, in context of seeing people your own age or younger dying off. Granted, many live much longer, but it's worthy of consideration.
    Mostly, it comes down to what you want to do and can afford to do. Not what's good for the economy or whatever.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    June 27, 2017 4:19 p.m.

Flipside: older workers not retiring keeps their positions fills. Which means the guy five to ten years younger doesn't have the opening to be promoted into. Which means the guy five to ten years younger then *him* doesn't have the opening to be promoted into, and so-on down the chain to the lowest entry-level positions, of which there are fewer entry-level positions for folks fresh out of college to get hired into.

Which leads to the bump in 20-something unemployment that we see.

Which leads to the decline in first-time home purchases and marriages that we see.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2017 3:02 p.m.

@patriot "Apparently you aren't worried about Obamacare and the fact that for 90% of people the premiums are more than their mortgage payment and the deductables make it unusable. "

This is absolutely FALSE, and Utah's current participation in the ACA is opposite of your statement.

But I can tell you what worries me, at that is the Republican plan to trash social security and medicare. This is Paul Ryan's dream since college.

Here's what's going to happen. Trump will solidify his grip on the presidency. Since he doesn't need poor whites anymore, he will give them the shaft with health care.

By the time his lower income supporters figure out they have been had, it will be too late. Trump & Co will establish a South American style dictatorship.

Only socialists like me will offer an alternative, but I will likely pay with my life.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 26, 2017 1:03 p.m.

re:Fred44

Apparently you aren't worried about Obamacare and the fact that for 90% of people the premiums are more than their mortgage payment and the deductables make it unusable. Maybe you are one of the folks who get free stuff that the rest of us have to pay for? Sorry if that gravy train is coming to an end -- actually I am elated! Obamacare was and is a complete BUST my friend and the numbers prove it. There is no future for anyone with Obamacare. At least with what the GOP is trying to by increasing competition nation wide and getting rid of the insane taxes and mandates we just might have a new health care plan forward looking that all of us can take part in and actually use! Best to do some actual research about Obamacare outside of what MSNBC tells you.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 26, 2017 12:53 p.m.

people I know aren't delaying retirement -- they are just not retiring. I think the whole concept of "retirement" is outdated and overwith due to the 2009 crash of the economy. Alot of people lost money -- lots of money in 2009 and I don't think the country ever recovered. There are some professions like teaching that offer a retirement package but most do not so most people work til age 67 now and then they transition into something lesser. I see most people wishing they could stay in their main profession til age 75 but the industry says no so people are left to work in lesser jobs that pay much less after age 67 just to suppliment their income. Everything costs so much now days -- cars are ridiculous with trucks topping $60k for a new Ford F-250. My wife and I sold our home and downsized 4 years ago so we could pay our home off by age 67. I see lots of people doing that same sort of thing now. Even still, I still plan on working past age 67 in some capacity just because the cost of living is so high. I guess we could always win Publishing Clearinghouse Sweepstakes??

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 26, 2017 9:18 a.m.

The problem with early retirement now is the uncertainty of the cost of future health care. With the current republican bills I would expect my insurance costs are going to increase dramatically. My early retirement is now on hold until we see how much damage the republicans are going to do.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    June 26, 2017 9:06 a.m.

This is essentially propaganda rather than news, from my viewpoint. The government needs folks to work longer to mitigate the shortage of workers in the population (legal workers) and also to delay using benefits like social security. This is not precisely fake news, but slanted to provide a government-desired perspective.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    June 26, 2017 8:38 a.m.

The opinions of German academics reported as facts. Hmm. Even the Harvard study referenced was from BMW workers.

Although we are supposed to be healthy until we turn 80 these days, there are many of us who retire early due to health issues. The decision was made for us. It's not so bad.

• Opinionated Sandy, UT
    June 26, 2017 7:58 a.m.

However, if I retire, not only will I have the time of my life doing the things I want to do instead of the things I have to do, but my job may very well go to some young buck trying to provide for his family. So, that would be a good thing.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    June 26, 2017 6:52 a.m.

Retiring from a job I enjoyed (Management Consultant) at age 58, I have found the opposite of this article's theme. My enjoyment of retirement has increased every year. There is ample opportunity to do what you enjoy and no reason to do much of anything you don't wish to do.

My wife and I have had nearly twenty years of delightful living post-retirement and it just gets better. The key is to have sufficient money to do your retirement the way you wish. That required being frugal for decades. Working at a job you enjoy is great, but being in near total control of your time and how you spend it is fantastic.

• carlyt ny, NY
    June 26, 2017 5:28 a.m.

Retirement differs from individual to individual. Some prefer not to retire and continue to work but for others the key to a successful retirement is to prepare for the lifestyle you want to live and the funds required to support that lifestyle and to remain physically, mentally and socially active once retired. If work is your life you should get involved in other things before retirement (hobbies, volunteering, travel, etc.) This will make the transition to retirement easier. I recently read several guest posts on the site Retirement And Good Living by retirees who redefined their lives once retired. They are sailing full time, started businesses based on hobbies, RVing across the US and New Zealand, backpacking across the globe, volunteering with various organizations, retiring overseas and more. It gives you a good perspective of the possibilities beyond working.