VidAngel announces major change, allows users to filter Amazon, HBO and Netflix content

• Hope & Faith give us strength Utah County, UT
    June 18, 2017 8:19 a.m.

I rarely watch new movies anymore.

Spielberg once said he was interested in movies anyone could watch, the "big hitters" so to speak. It's easy to see why. He studied the golden era classics and why they worked, then he capitalized on them. We were given a story, some virtue, some thrill ride, some thought provoking, and some new marriages of ideas. His blend didn't offend anyone, except the people who revolted at sentiment as if joy was a disease. That crowd seems to have taken over Hollywood since the Spielberg era.

Marvel, Michael Bay, Netflix, HBO, it's all filth, glorified violence, excessive recycling of material, cheap parlor tricks to make up for increasingly weak dialog, and anything else that helps the cookie cutter format cash in as long as it's able to. Creativity and intelligence do exist in art still, it's just not found in Hollywood. I'm not sure it ever was really. A few directors managed to break into success and gave us several classics worth watching. But Hollywood? No, Hollywood is and always has been the problem.

We don't need a filter premium that still means funding trash.

We need studios outside of L.A.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 14, 2017 11:55 p.m.

I might pay $8 per month for studio content. Not worth it to piggyback the existing Netflix fee

• Debbie G Cedar City, UT
    June 14, 2017 4:07 p.m.

This is wonderful news from Vidangel. I use Netflix but have to bypass a lot of movies due to the language. I am also a Clearplay user. Have 3 of their players 1 of which is their blu-ray player. Love it. This is awesome to hear that the technology is available for streaming ! Yahoo !!!!!

• rroehale Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2017 12:48 p.m.

I'm a fantasy fan, but Game of Thrones reportedly has so much violence, sex, and nudity in it that I wonder how much of a plot would be left without it.

• nevilleman22 Bellevue, NE
    June 14, 2017 10:06 a.m.

With VidAngel, it was a wonderful thing to have. Now, however, they just seem to make it better.

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    June 14, 2017 8:22 a.m.

The question is...since they're essentially viewing your netflix on the cloud then streaming that to your device, is that another violation of the DMCA or not? And if it is will Vidangel once again decry it as "they're censoring us!" LOL. At least there are some other options out there now (clearplay, play it my way)...

• mulrich Columbia, SC
    June 14, 2017 7:03 a.m.

This is great news and the outcome I was hoping for. The system VidAngel had in place didn't have a good chance of prevailing in court so I'm glad they'll be able to continue in a new and more legitimate way. Hopefully they can quickly settle the case against Disney and sign a similar licensing agreement with the major studios.

As far as pricing goes, $8/month seems reasonable for the services they provide (this will be especially true once they get major studio content). The price of the content is what it is, and there's plenty of less expensive stuff out there for those who don't want to pay.

• Jefe-Ute Richmond, VA
    June 14, 2017 5:43 a.m.

Not sure how vid angel sees this as a win. The old platform of a $1 rental made sense. Paying $7.99 per mo for vid angel only makes sense. But paying $20/mo for someone else to fast forward Netflix for me isn't worth the cost. I think vid angel goes out of business quickly.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    June 13, 2017 10:19 p.m.

Well, good for them, but the cost is a deterrent for what my family wants to watch. We want to watch Game of Thrones, but that costs $4 an episode on Amazon, then the VidAngel cost. Yet, I can buy all six seasons on blu-ray (Amazon) for less than $1.50 an episode.

I guess we will continue waiting until content producers get a clue on pricing. Hmm, now that I think about it, that isn't true, we moved on long ago to watching other things, even though we've read all the books. Most likely we will someday view GOT on broadcast TV.