7 reasons why people live in tiny houses

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Aug. 1, 2018 9:31 a.m.

Tiny homes are great for couples, but what about families? Where does the brooding teenager go? Where do the rambunctious elementary school kids go? Outside is fine, except when it's 100 degrees outside, or below freezing.
    I fit a family of 7 in an 800 sq ft apartment, and it was doable, though not a lot of private space. But I can not imagine going smaller and staying sane.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    June 25, 2018 10:59 p.m.

Why don't these kind of articles address the question of land and zoning? You have to park somewhere or build permanently somewhere, and zoning laws are generally not in favor of tiny homes.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    June 14, 2017 4:31 p.m.

Before you buy one of these, go to a trailer court and rent the smallest one you can find to test the concept out.

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    June 14, 2017 11:43 a.m.

@i have my opinion tiny homes have walls to survive the winter. For whatever reason, RV's don't seem to. @What in tucket kindle?

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    June 14, 2017 8:57 a.m.

If you want a tiny house, fine but why build it to tow it. If you want to move it buy a travel trailer, it costs less and probably better designed.
    I have a 400 square foot mountain cabin, built in place, which is nice and a place to sleep and be out of the weather.
    A funny trend I think.

• JkeithC Richland, WA
    June 14, 2017 8:59 a.m.

To be debt free is a very good goal. However if a young person gets himself $40,000 or $50,000 in debt on a tiny house and finds that it does not meet his or her needs in the future, will there be a market to sell? As in all things, prudence and caution is still needed.
    I think I would do well in a tiny house. I think my wife would not. Different Strokes

• Just saying 7 Indianapolis, IN
    June 14, 2017 7:15 a.m.

Love tiny houses. Simple, clean living without the price tag or work of a home.. Great way to keep the fledglings from returning to the nest.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    June 14, 2017 7:08 a.m.

Love these! This is my husband's and mine retirement plan: a tiny house that we can actually afford, and hopefully can drag around to visit our grandkids.

I'm so pleased to see the trend of "less is more" taking hold. Fantastic way to be good stewards and focus on what's important.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    June 14, 2017 6:27 a.m.

No room for books.

• I have my opinion Kaysville, UT
    June 14, 2017 6:13 a.m.

I understand the reasons, but I admit I don't get the whole Tiny House movement. Why not get a reliable but used RV or trailer? It's mobile, its small, it's built by experts in that industry.

• Hugh1 Denver, CO
    June 13, 2017 11:49 p.m.

Reminiscent of the 19th century prairie schooner...it will get you to where you want to be, perhaps even in a bit of style. The best part is the need to understand what you value in life.

• mallow Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 13, 2017 10:23 p.m.

This is obviously a great place to not have a family-as in children AND spouse.