Tens of thousands celebrate diversity at Utah Pride Parade downtown

• doboy007 Orem, UT
    June 6, 2017 3:07 p.m.

Really??!! People still thinking Jesus said not to love and accept others? If he was in a grave he would roll over and tell everyone to CHILL! His message was love- over and over again. He scolded those who were on their high horses or in their fancy robes looking down on others and carrying rocks to throw.

• Lib on Planet Zion Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2017 1:51 p.m.

@lets be mature - Meridian/USA, ID

"I'm not saying that a gay rights parade violates my religious rights, but by that logic, you better be ok with a straight parade. Or a white pride(not supremacist, there's a difference) parade. Or a male pride parade. I'm not saying I'd want or participate in any of these things, but libs need to stop pushing this false narrative and double standard".

Specifically what are you saying? Obviously you are quite unaware yourself. Research "protective class" and feel free to offer a factually based retort. However, this time let us not only "be mature", most important let us be accurate prior to another daily anti-equality rant! Thank you.

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    June 6, 2017 12:30 a.m.

@sashabill -

Check out the story of Steve Tennes.."

Deep yawn...Obergefell v. Hodges. Equal justice under law applies to everyone! Including those in E. Lansing.

"The city says farmers, even those not located within East Lansing, have to agree with its non-discrimination ordinance in order to participate in the market". {Washington Post/Lansing State Journal/N.Y. Times}

“I think it’s a very strong principle that you should not be discriminating against somebody elsewhere and then come here and want to participate in our market". {E. Lansing City Manager George Lahanas}

"The situation started in August, when someone inquired on Country Mill’s Facebook page whether they hosted gay weddings. Mr. Tennes said no, explaining that his Catholic family believes marriage should be between one man and one woman. City officials found out about the post and reportedly urged Mr. Tennes to comply with its ordinance. After taking a break from hosting weddings at the farm, Mr. Tennes decided to refuse the order and announced on Facebook that the farm would continue to block same-sex weddings, Mr. Tennes was later informed that his farm would not be welcome back for the 2017 season".

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    June 5, 2017 7:58 p.m.

1st avenue,

The "moral underpinning" of the liberal argument is not much more than "Whatever floats your boat."
    I was around during the 1960's to see the emphasis which liberals once placed on freedom of speech and freedom of conscience, when they were protesting against the Draft and the War in Vietnam. (The name of Mario Savio, leader of the Free Speech movement at U.C. Berkeley, may ring a bell for some readers).

I have also been around to see how many liberals have curiously forgotten about those freedoms when people started disagreeing with them (on abortion or same sex marriage, for example). It is not based on principles, apparently, but just on whether one happens to agree with the "politically correct" crowd.

I call this an example of relativism. I also call it hypocrisy.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    June 5, 2017 4:03 p.m.

Marco Luxe,

I have never stated that diversity is inherently wrong, or unworthy as an ideal -- just that it is not, never was, and never will be, my highest ideal. If it is our highest ideal, or is not placed in the context of other values, then all we end up with (in practice) is a nebulous relativism.

Just for what it's worth, I am active in interfaith relations and dialogue, and have been for decades. I am also proud to be a member of a church which can do something more (or something different) than just dishing out a lot of vague drivel about "diversity."

As I alluded to in my previous post, my main objection to those who talk the loudest about "diversity" is that many of them don't practice what they preach. (This is also something that I have noticed for decades.)

• AZcoug8 Mesa, AZ
    June 5, 2017 3:44 p.m.

@sashabill

My concept of love and be loved is not complicated. I said it simply to be understood simply- not as an argument. I don't think you're a bad person for disagreeing with me, and I ask the same of you.

I have never shouted bigot, hatemonger or homophobe at anyone (I do take accountability for throwing out 'homophobe' in my original post, and I shouldn't have- that was preemptive judgement. I apologize.).

Nor have I marginalized any religious groups (even the one that marginalizes me for leaving), taken away anyone's freedom of speech- yours for example, or sent any hate mail.

I just read an article on the East Lansing case- thank you for pointing that out. It's a complicated issue for sure, and I wish you luck in fighting for what you believe. I also just encourage you to want the same for other people. That's it.

• lets be mature Meridian/USA, ID
    June 5, 2017 3:15 p.m.

I'm not saying that a gay rights parade violates my religious rights, but by that logic, you better be ok with a straight parade. Or a white pride(not supremacist, there's a difference) parade. Or a male pride parade. I'm not saying I'd want or participate in any of these things, but libs need to stop pushing this false narrative and double standard.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    June 5, 2017 3:06 p.m.

AZcoug8,

"The 'gay agenda' is to love and be loved. Period."

Oh really? I guess that is true, if your concept of "love' includes shouting "bigot," "hatemonger" and "homophobe" at anyone who disagrees with you, marginalizing religious clubs and taking away peoples' freedom of speech on college campuses, sending hate mail and death threats to Christian business owners, or hounding people out of their jobs because of how they voted.

These things don't sound like "love and be loved" to me.

Check out the instances of people hounded out of their jobs for supporting Proposition 8 in California, or (for a current example) check out the story of Steve Tennes, of Country Mill Farms in East Lansing, Mich, who has experienced retaliation because his religious beliefs are not "politically correct." (For the record, I am contributing to his legal defense.)

• Marco Luxe Los Angeles, CA
    June 5, 2017 3:00 p.m.

sashabill claims diversity is somehow unworthy an ideal, but overlooks that at the heart of the concept is the Golden Rule: everyone, no matter where they're from should be treated with the respect that you would want for yourself. It's simply not human nature to accept "the other" as equal, but that is the goal within the diversity slogan. Since it seems like that is the goal of many scriptures too, it is confounding that many conflate their base instincts with religion instead of using their Golden Rule to embrace "the other".

Also, true reciprocal intimacy is a rare gift that should be celebrated in all its forms. I simply can't declare it immoral to share loving intimacy with a life partner. It seems we misunderstand scriptures if they are interpreted to be against love.

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    June 5, 2017 2:48 p.m.

1st avenue - New York, NY
    June 5, 2017 1:55 p.m.
    @DN Subscriber

Re: "so you are criticizing them for reaching out and supporting other people and issues that the see as important beyond their own desire for equality? it seems strange to criticize someone for showing concern for others".

It is a complete waste of time my fellow New Yorker. The daily anti-equality, anti-liberal rants from poster DN Subscriber speaks volumes to only character but also the realization/acceptance of factual information. Direct answers to questions requiring specifics will never be addressed in any retort. For continued strange comments/posts from this poster....Stay tuned!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 5, 2017 2:48 p.m.

gay pride -- straight pride -- white pride -- black pride -- brown pride ....all this stuff partitions people and someone is going to be happy and others upset. Why create a potential problem in your city? Instead parades shouldn't be about a race or a life style but instead an action such as bravery (WWII or Gulf War Vets or Mormon Pioneers). This is a bad choice by the mayor of Salt Lake. It should be about uniting not dividing.

• 1st avenue New York, NY
    June 5, 2017 1:55 p.m.

@DN Subscriber

so you are criticizing them for reaching out and supporting other people and issues that the see as important beyond their own desire for equality? it seems strange to criticize someone for showing concern for others.

• AZcoug8 Mesa, AZ
    June 5, 2017 1:47 p.m.

I marched in the pride parade yesterday, and told the guy with the megaphone the same thing as I write below. By the way, in case it matters (it shouldn't, but to some of the homophobes on this thread it does)- I'm a straight woman.

You may think that being gay, trans, straight is a choice. I disagree....but what I KNOW is that you chose to come here today to hate. That is definitely a choice.

His response? '* you.' (if only the DN moderator could screen his hate speech)

The 'gay agenda' is to love and be loved. Period.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 5, 2017 12:51 p.m.

"Celebrating diversity" as used in the headline seems to be code for "advocating for the liberal agenda."

The story later states: "The goal of the Pride Elevated theme was to encompass a number of progressive values, including environmental concerns, immigrant rights, reproductive rights, equal pay for women and efforts against racism."

That sure is along way from the original purpose of wanting equal rights for homosexuals.

• 1st avenue New York, NY
    June 5, 2017 12:52 p.m.

@sashabill

if you truly do not understand the philosophical and moral underpinnings of these arguments after almost 30 years of this debate then I would dare say it was by your own willful choice.

• ConservativeUtahisBest Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2017 12:25 p.m.

@Ranchhand

You can't refute my claim so all you can say is "I don't believe you"? You can believe anything you want. I will just stand on the side of truth. You can believe or not. It is up to you.

• ConservativeUtahisBest Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2017 12:20 p.m.

@utilitux

My family is probably one of the closest families you will ever meet. Everyone is always there if another family member needs help. We get together at least once a month for birthday celebrations. We confide almost everything to each other. A pretty big accomplishment for my grandparents with a family that size. The fact that you are trying to say you know my family better than I do is quite sad.

• Prometheus Platypus Orem, UT
    June 5, 2017 12:11 p.m.

sashabill said: "In short, by setting diversity as one's highest value, one basically just ends up with relativism."

I don't believe anybody is touting "Diversity" as a "highest goal," but it's definitely, needed as a starting point. If you can't accept others for who they are, and believe that you must change others to be like you, it doesn't make you morally superior.

Golden Rule, all other rules, laws, commandments are created as justification for bad behavior.

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    June 5, 2017 11:39 a.m.

3...2...1, until we all unfortunately read the daily anti-equality, anti-liberal comments spewing forth from the low information, non college educated demographic. You will not see myself participating or attending any "Pioneer Day" parades or celebrations if I'm currently in SLC at the time. Directly on cue the anti-equality faction proves once again it is unable to fully grasp and understand this concept. Furthermore. Have requested several times for specific examples of how "religious liberties" are infringed upon by a parade embracing equality? I'm still waiting! Thank you. #Equalityforall

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 5, 2017 11:28 a.m.

@IAlaw;

If "...from a Judeo-Christian standpoint ..." isn't trying to impose your beliefs, then what is?

"I believe in Judeo-Christian notions of morality..."

--- Stop focusing on sex. Morality is about far more than just sex (sex really isn't about morality anyway), all morality boils about how you treat others.

"I also happen to believe that homosexuality has a psycho-physiological basis similar to alcoholism and other addictions."

--- Or maybe it's just another aspect of human sexual attraction? You know, like some people are attracted to the opposite gender and other are attracted to the same gender? It is NOT an "addiction". You are spreading lies about others when you make claims that it's an addiction - and lying is certainly a violation of your "morality" & it's a violation of your own god's commandments.

@ConservativeUtahisBest;

I don't believe you. Just 'cause you don't know, don't make it so.

@utilitux;

I'm gay. Know of MANY others in my family. You meant ConIsBst. :)

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    June 5, 2017 11:08 a.m.

"Diversity" seems to be a favorite buzzword of today's politically correct community. Unfortunately, in actual practice it gives us little to go on.

The task of philosophy is to explain reality. The task of morality is to provide a system of values to guide our choices and actions; and the place or religion is to connect or align us spiritually with some concept of the divine.

A philosophy which has no higher concept than "diversity" is not much of a philosophy. A moral code which has no greater value than "diversity" is essentially no moral code at all; and a religious body which can do no more than to talk about diversity is not much more than an ecclesiastical flophouse.

• utilitux West Jordan, UT
    June 5, 2017 10:51 a.m.

Ranch Hand - you claim there are 60+ people in your family and none of them are gay. Based on your attitude towards freedom and rights for homosexuals you would probably be the last to know. You see, those that are in the closet would not come out if they have a family leader that is homophobic. That doesn't mean they aren't in your family - they are just in fear of not being loved and accepted by your and others in your family with the same intolerance.

• ConservativeUtahisBest Salt Lake City, UT
    June 5, 2017 9:44 a.m.

@RanchHand

I thought the newest talking point is that homosexuality is a genetic trait passed on through the genes. So why does large families have to do with that? My family plus Aunts, Uncles and cousins is 60+ people and there isn't a single divorce or gay person in the family.

• IAlaw Malvern, IA
    June 5, 2017 9:16 a.m.

@ Tolstoy :

You are doing exactly what I criticized in my initial post. You are not being honest in this discussion. I feel like I'm being straightforward in my statements, but you seem to be trying to twist my words into something they clearly are not.

Insofar as we were to define "science" as the discovery of truth about the physical universe, I do care about science, and I also believe that science and gospel truth agree. And, to the extent that scientists disagree with what I hold as gospel truth, then I'm going to disagree with the scientists. No doubt you think that's foolish, and that's your right.

I really don't care to debate any further about science or even religion in general. Like I said, my message is directed at those who share my faith, and also at deseretnews.com and lds-oriented media, generally. Perhaps I should have been more clear about that the first time. But I'm not going to keep going back and forth on this. If there are people of my faith or among the Judeo-Christian tradition who disagree with my initial post, who think that homosexuality itself is to be celebrated, I'd love to hear how they reconcile their view with the Plan of Salvation.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 5, 2017 8:58 a.m.

@IAlaw

so you do not care what science says and you are going to continue to spread misinformation in the name of religion? How exactly is that in keeping with your proclaimed belief in Judeo-Christian notions of morality?

• IAlaw Malvern, IA
    June 5, 2017 8:54 a.m.

@ RanchHand:

I'm not imposing my beliefs on others. If people want to have a gay pride parade, go for it. My post was directed at others of my faith in the context of an article published by a media arm run by those of my faith.

@ Tolstoy

I'm not concerned with what the medical community thinks vis-a-vis classification of alcoholism or homosexuality. I believe in Judeo-Christian notions of morality, and I also happen to believe that homosexuality has a psycho-physiological basis similar to alcoholism and other addictions. Ultimately, as I said above, my message was to others who share my faith, in the context of an article published by a media arm controlled by our church.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 5, 2017 8:24 a.m.

@BYUalum;

It's all Obama's fault. Yep.

@IAlaw;

"Was this a celebration of diversity, or was this a celebration of homosexuality? If the latter, then I wonder: from a Judeo-Christian standpoint and particularly from the LDS perspective, should we celebrate homosexuality?"

--- Why should your religious beliefs have any authority over others at all? They are your beliefs and you have no right to impose them on others. None. As long as religious people keep demanding their beliefs get preferential treatment, conflicts will continue. LGBT CITIZENS have every bit as much right to celebrate as you do; and in case you think you don't celebrate heterosexuality, open your eyes, you do it every day, everywhere, with impunity.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 5, 2017 8:16 a.m.

@IAlaw

you're partially right we should not confuse the issues alcoholism is a recognized mental health and medical disorder being gay is not.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 5, 2017 7:53 a.m.

@BYUalum

so people celebrating diversity is divisive? I am sorry that others being able to openly celebrate who they are is so divisive. maybe you can set the example by asking your church to tone down the general conference and 24th of July parade or maybe we could all just make a little more room for others, wouldn't that be novel.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 5, 2017 7:54 a.m.

@Justiciaparatodos;

Thanks for your words. Some LGBT people don't really understand why OS couples would find one another sexually attractive. It works both ways.

@Uteofferouus;

Large families are bound to have more LGBT members. LDS have large families, it makes sense that there are a lot of us in Utah, conservative religious stronghold or not.

• IAlaw Malvern, IA
    June 5, 2017 7:16 a.m.

I feel like when it comes to this topic, everything is communicated in a somewhat disingenuous, if not deceptive, way. Was this a celebration of diversity, or was this a celebration of homosexuality? If the latter, then I wonder: from a Judeo-Christian standpoint and particularly from the LDS perspective, should we celebrate homosexuality?

I feel like this is where the issues are so often confused. Clearly we should love all of our brothers and sisters, gay or straight, or otherwise. But sometimes I feel like we flirt with the line between embracing the individuals and embracing the behavior. I love my alcoholic relatives, for example, and I accept that they most likely have genetic predisposition to the condition, but I'm not going to march in a parade in celebration of alcoholism itself.

Let's not confuse the issues, and let's be honest about our message at all times--especially with sensitive topics like this.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    June 5, 2017 7:11 a.m.

@Justiciaparatodos

last I checked my history book it was not the LGBT community fighting for decades to keep religious people from getting married. Last I checked it was not the LGBT community that fought for decades to keep religious people from adopting, last I checked it was not the LGBT community that fought to keep religious people from having equal protections in housing and employment etc... etc.... etc.... not being able to force other to live by thier religious dictates does not make people of religion the victims.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 5, 2017 7:03 a.m.

I don't agree with this kind of a demonstration in downtown Salt Lake City. It isn't necessary. Things like this just fuel the flame of division in our city and country. This is the legacy of Obama.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    June 5, 2017 6:53 a.m.

Very fairly reported. Good work Pat Reavy.

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2017 7:37 p.m.

The story seems to laud the fact that "Many of Salt Lake City's top leaders, such as Mayor Jackie Biskupski, Police Chief Mike Brown, Fire Chief Karl Lieb and Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill participated in the festivities".

Why is that news? It is well know that Mayor Biskupski is lesbian and that the other leaders are liberal sympathizers to the gay community.

It is indeed news that there is such a large number of participants in a gay pride parade in a city that is the home of one of the world's most conservative religions. That fact certainly is thought provoking and curious.

• Justiciaparatodos Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2017 7:34 p.m.

Diversity is a good thing when all parties respect diverse points of view. For example, many of us have over time begun to understand the reality that "same-sex attraction" is a true phenomenon in our society. While we may not condemn those who are attracted to others of the same sex, we also may not understand fully why two people of the same gender want to have sexual relationships with one another and even to marry. To many of us, it is anathema to natural biology and physiology and even to our intellectual sensibilities. Conversely, some in society find it strange that people who proclaim to be religious and have faith in God would ever judge those who choose a homosexual lifestyle in a negative light. They reason that "God fearing" people should follow the admonition to "love one another" and to accept each other regardless of lifestyle choices. I posit that it is perfectly acceptable for people to peacefully disagree with each other. We don't have to like the choices others make, but it makes a whole lot of sense to be civil to one another. When we strive to force other's to accept our point of view, that is when we error in my opinion.

• Jacobiuntherus Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2017 5:04 p.m.

Let's take pride in keeping God's morality commandments along with his commandments to love one another!