Report: Former Lone Peak star Frank Jackson undergoes foot surgery, expected to be out until July

• gchris rock springs, wy
    May 25, 2017 7:39 a.m.

I am a BYU fan, but I would expect any high school athlete, given the choice of playing at BYU or Utah or Duke, especially if the goal is an NBA career, to choose Duke. Playing for the real Coach K seems like the fast-track to the NBA. What I find interesting is that a kid who can't make the starting five at Duke could end up being a first round pick in the NBA draft. That speaks volumes about the Duke program and why Jackson picked it over BYU.

• Not Much of a Fan Irvine, CA
    May 25, 2017 1:10 a.m.

Getting playing time is essential.

Chris Burgess would have had an NBA career if he'd played at the U his whole career instead of going to Duke.

Cooper Bateman would have had an NFL career if he'd played QB at the U for four years instead of going to Alabama.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    May 24, 2017 10:50 p.m.

@jpc53 I couldn't agree more. And if I had been in his shoes I would have gone to Duke as well. But they are also saying he's likely leaving Duke because he may not get PT next year with the quality of the freshman coming in. So in this case it's possible BYU may have been a better option for him because he may have been able to showcase his talent more and maybe been a higher pick than a mid to late second rounder. I could end up being totally wrong and we'll know more after the draft. I hope the best for him though and look forward to following him in the NBA.

• jpc53 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 24, 2017 10:14 p.m.

localblue,

By going to Duke instead of BYU he received better coaching, practiced against a better quality of talent and played against better teams. All of this could only have helped his development. I don't like one and dones, but if you are going to be one Duke is a great place to be one.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    May 24, 2017 7:22 p.m.

Yea if you want to get in the NBA it is better you go to BYU then Duke. Makes sense to me.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    May 24, 2017 7:14 p.m.

Too bad but he is now a late second round pick, at best.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 24, 2017 5:49 p.m.

@localblue

"maybe in this one instance BYU would have helped him more than the mighty Coach K."

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    May 24, 2017 5:18 p.m.

It is so comical to see how the blue faithful lose all objectivity when discussing their favorite team.

• localblue Sandy, UT
    May 24, 2017 5:02 p.m.

I hate second guessing and even though I love BYU I have no problem with the best players going where they feel most comfortable, perhaps where they'll be best coached or maybe even have the best chance of a championship.

But in this situation one has to wonder whether he wouldn't have been better served just to stay with his commitment to BYU. He would have got a ton of PT, and if he stayed for a sophomore year it would have only gone up, as opposed to Duke where they are bringing in some incredible freshman.

All indications are his upside is much higher than somebody like Jimmer and yet Jimmer was able to turn his time at BYU into a top 10 pick. Again it's hard to second guess decisions, and I fully support the dream of getting to the NBA by any means necessary, but maybe in this one instance BYU would have helped him more than the mighty Coach K.