NCAA softball: Utah rallies to beat BYU in walk-off fashion in NCAA regionals

• Jackie Treehorn St George, UT
    May 20, 2017 4:35 p.m.

cougarsrock, I missed it, how'd that double-header sweep work out for you?

• top of the world ,
    May 20, 2017 1:24 p.m.

My post was awkward, at best. Too big of a hurry to move on to other things. My point was that by leaving 11 players stranded, it was a point in the Y's favor that they managed to have that many on base, in addition to those who scored and those who were out, such as double plays, etc. The point in Utah's favor was that they kept these 11 from reaching home. I realize it's a moot point, but the production of the Y players at the plate was quite positive. Hats off to the U defense and pitching to keep the score down. I'm wondering how Bull will fare after throwing two full games. The U is in a very good position in that regard, with neither of their top two having thrown a single full game. That was good coaching on the Ute coaches part. I still predict the U will move on, but not past the Super Regional, unless somehow the Huskies get taken down in the Seattle Regional. If the Huskies get taken down, I will root all out for the Ute ladies. Go Cougs! Good luck, Utes. Go U-Dub.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 20, 2017 9:49 a.m.

cougarsrock,
    3rd pressure game in a row coming up for byu. Go Pressure!

• top of the world ,
    May 20, 2017 8:46 a.m.

I appreciate the fervor of those who are commenting, on both sides. I like to see fans who believe in their teams and are not afraid to go out on a limb in support of their colors. That is so much better than the few who just cast demeaning, nonsensical remarks at random. As to which team is the better squad this season, I don't think that can be pinned down either way. So far they have split. If the Y can manage the first game and the U takes the second, they split again. Given the fact that the Y left eleven on the base and the U left three, that speaks highly of the Y. Then again, why did the Y not score more with so many in position to do so? That speaks highly of the U. And additional comparisons favoring each team could be made. My early-on prediction was that the U would win because of deeper pitching. Not better, because I think Bull is the best pitcher in the SLC Regional. But deeper. She threw full games two days in a row and now must throw another today. That's a great deal to ask when you consider how good Utah is. BYU is best...Utah is best? Save that for the grade school playground. Go Cougs! Good luck, Utes!

• cougarsrock Springville, UT
    May 20, 2017 8:42 a.m.

ekky,
    so much for your emotional loss theory ... these 2 teams are very evenly matched and i would not be surprised at all if the Y takes 2 games today after choking that game away yesterday ...

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 20, 2017 2:21 a.m.

We complete the sweep of the field in Game 1 tomorrow....We play against a tougher overall schedule & are the better tested team....Our rested pitching will be the overwhelming difference.

• Jackie Treehorn St George, UT
    May 19, 2017 10:03 p.m.

65: "the team that only needs to win once will grip and panic in the 2nd game. I've seen it too many times."

I'll bite. See 2016 Kentucky regional.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    May 19, 2017 9:19 p.m.

"Emotional loss for byu. They'll get eliminated this evening."

Let me guess - your autocorrect said that. I guess if a 12-1 win constitutes elimination then your autocorrect is correct.

If BYU wins the first game - they will win the second game because the team that only needs to win once will grip and panic in the 2nd game. I've seen it too many times.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 19, 2017 8:17 p.m.

No way byu beats us twice, assuming they win tonight....I'd be shocked were they to beat us even once....Certainly not w/where the respective pitching stands.

• skitter Orem, UT
    May 19, 2017 6:37 p.m.

Hailstorm, yes when a person is on base and they fail to score they're called "stranded runners". This is a very common term in baseball and softball. It's not disrespect or excuse for a loss. It's simply using the correct language of the game.

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    May 19, 2017 6:04 p.m.

Stranded runners ?
    Sounds like good defense under pressure.
    Great game today for the cute Utes !
    As for Salmon Idaho... In science and in life when you say, " always," you will lose the argument. Always never happens.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    May 19, 2017 5:44 p.m.

The talent gap between Utah and BYU widens year after year.

• Old Cougar Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 19, 2017 5:07 p.m.

Congratulations to both teams on an intense game (watched it on ESPN3). Both matches have been quite close, 4-3 and 3-2.

BYU definitely has an uphill battle. To win the regional they will have to win an elimination game tonight and then play two more elimination games (both against rival Utah).

Defeating Utah twice will be difficult, but not impossible; however, playing 3 games in a 24 hour period drains energy. Time will tell. Best wishes to both teams.

Who said the rivalry was dead ???

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    May 19, 2017 5:02 p.m.

Went to the game. BYU stranded way too many base runners. When this happens you let the other team hang around and increase your chances of getting burned in the end.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    May 19, 2017 4:53 p.m.

Well done, Utes!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    May 19, 2017 4:53 p.m.

BYU won't get eliminated this evening. If BYU wins the first game tomorrow - Utah will spit the bit in the second game - it always happens.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 19, 2017 4:22 p.m.

65toss - evenly matched team when Bull is throwing for BYU. Maybe a different story if they play again tomorrow.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 19, 2017 4:17 p.m.

Sorry, autocorrect got me. My comment should read...

Emotional loss for byu. They'll get eliminated this evening.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 19, 2017 3:52 p.m.

65TossPowerTrap,
    Emotional loss for building. They'll get eliminated this evening.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    May 19, 2017 3:44 p.m.

Great game by two evenly-matched teams. Can't wait for the rematch.