Utah State student's family gets $172,500 in slackline death

• U-State1888 Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2017 1:12 p.m.

"the university put up no barriers to protect cyclists or pedestrians from slacklines"

For those of you who are not familiar with Old Main Hill, it is very large, fairly steep, and has a long cement staircase going up the middle of it. It was designed for pedestrians to commute up-and-down via the staircase.

I'm not sure why the university should be held liable for people choosing to act recklessly by riding their bikes down the hill's grassy areas (between trees) when riders can and are encouraged to use sidewalks or street biking lanes down the boulevard.

I went to Utah State and graduated the year before this tragic event took place. My heart aches for this family. But slack lining is common on campus and always takes place in grassy areas away from paths meant for foot and bike traffic.

In my opinion (and I'm sure many others) the most negligent party in this story was the rider. Sad as it may be...

• themoreyouknow Hurricane, UT
    May 20, 2017 12:11 p.m.

were the negligent students ever held accountable?

• Smokin' Joe ALTURAS, CA
    May 19, 2017 6:13 p.m.

They lost their son through an act of negligence. They're entitled to compensation. But $172k seems a pitifully low number.

• Oh, please! Saint George, UT
    May 19, 2017 11:28 a.m.

RichDaddy: Read the entire article. The family will donate the money to a charitable cause.

Without knowing more details, I think the fault lies more with the three students than the university. Also, if the deceased was riding across grass (my assumption), he bears some responsibility as well.

• drich Green River, Utah
    May 19, 2017 10:53 a.m.

Looks like a tuition hike coming.

• Jimbo Low PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 19, 2017 10:23 a.m.

I think the main difference between an incident and related settlement like this in Utah vs. say California is a couple of zeros.

• RichDaddy Lewis Center, OH
    May 19, 2017 10:05 a.m.

If the purpose of the law suit is truly "to bring about policy changes rather than collect damages," then donate the settlement to charity.