LDS missionary finds his own Jr. Jazz jersey while serving in Africa

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    May 10, 2017 10:31 a.m.

The story about the jersey brought tears to this old granny. I can testify that the Lord moves in mysterious ways to help our missionaries to teach the gospel. My family have always been members, but I have one son who served, and a grandson also. We all had some special moments in that period of time on our lives.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 9, 2017 7:36 a.m.

When I was a brand new, and often depressed, missionary serving in Robertsdale, Alabama I was outside a Piggly Wiggly grocery store one day and happened to see that the truck delivering groceries to the store had a Utah license plate. Made me smile and I felt just a little more connected to home.

I had that small experience and many other more profound, powerful experiences on my mission that showed me that Heavenly Father loved me and watched over me. And since He loves me, warts and all, I know He loves all of you, too. I find this amazing and humbling all at the same time.

• Uganda Guy Murray, UT
    May 7, 2017 6:36 p.m.

While driving near the Katakwi Uganda. I spotted a young man riding a bike wearing a shirt that said "Salt Lake County Recreation". I had to stop and take his picture.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    May 7, 2017 2:37 p.m.

Good. But, what happened to the young boy with the jersey?

• Landcruisermike Lehi, UT
    May 7, 2017 1:46 p.m.

I had a similar experience, not as personal as this minor miracle, but I was rendered speechless when a woman in Buenos Aires answered her door wearing a T-shirt that said; I'm a Salt Lake City Sandbagger 1983.

• SpectacularPony Tooele, UT
    May 7, 2017 10:10 a.m.

I spent several years of my childhood living in Accra, Ghana, so this story was really special for me. We were the only "members" living in Ghana at the time (1970's) so when the church first began sending missionaries our home was the mission home. Our church group that started out as just the 4 of us in our family listening to conference talks on cassette tapes each Sunday, eventually grew to over 2 dozen and of course many other branches had formed throughout Ghana by the time we were transferred back to the U.S. in 1980. Now there is a temple and wards and stakes. It's amazing to see how it has grown! I'm so happy for the Ghanaian members. This story has touched me--so thank you so much for sharing it. The great thing about stories, poems, films, art, etc. is that it can speak to many people in many different ways and spur different emotions and reactions based on ones own life experiences. What you feel can be totally different than what I feel and that is what is so wonderful! To criticize the writer, or the missionary because they didn't have the same reaction or feelings about the experience that you did is not kind or enlightened.

• islandboy Honolulu, HI
    May 6, 2017 8:31 p.m.

I really enjoyed this article as well as the comment by Sashabill. There really are no coincidences just God's tender mercies provided to us a lot of times when we really need it.

• QuerqueCougar Albuquerque, NM
    May 6, 2017 2:56 p.m.

Great story. Nicely told. It's great that God speaks to each of us individually and personally so as to increase our faith in Him.

• TuckerB Provo, UT
    May 6, 2017 1:03 p.m.

Coincidence? I think not! What a great story. Some may think, "That's just a coincidence." I can understand how people conclude that. But I think stories like this are a great example of how God works. He gives us a reason to believe that He is there watching out for us, but He doesn't make it undeniable. He allows us to use our agency to choose if we're going to believe or not. He never forces it. Beautiful.

• Nephiwon Crown Point Essex, NY
    May 6, 2017 12:09 p.m.

There really is a God in heaven and He directs His work. I love this story. It's a classic example of His touch. A real tender mercy extended to a faithful one. Dear God what would thou have me do?

• sdg St. George, UT
    May 6, 2017 7:26 a.m.

This was a sweet story. @Keyboarder, the story was about a missionary feeling like he was in the wrong place. The shirt was his answer. Another story could be written about his connection to the people.

• Granny Saint George, UT
    May 5, 2017 9:21 p.m.

A young elder from St. George (a Bundy, I think) serving in Latin America saw one of his childhood quilts in the hands of a young child who had lost everything in a flood or earthquake or similar circumstance. Wow!

• keyboarder College Station, TX
    May 5, 2017 6:07 p.m.

It is a neat story, but I was fully expecting to learn more about the boy. I realize that perhaps this young missionary could only learn one thing at a time... and that he was still developing his own sense of worth. But what about the boy? Where's the thankfulness that the boy got the smallest portion of that missionary's comforts from back home? After realizing that God loved himself, what about thoughts of how he loved the boy just as much? Instead we hear in the video that "God loves the Jazz?"

The way the article went on about the jersey being so precious, then the quote "It was really just there to tell me that I was loved" , for a moment as I continued reading I thought he was going to ask the boy if he could take back the jersey. I was relived to read that he gave it back to the boy. I'm not trying to diminish the story, but is that really all that such an experience was supposed to teach the missionary, teach us? How about a realization that we could do more to help our brothers and sisters in Africa by donating to charities? Could it be possible that some day the gutters there don't have to smell like we "would imagine a gutter would smell like in Africa"?

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    May 5, 2017 2:43 p.m.

My story is maybe not as inspiring as Parker's, but is perhaps worth sharing.
    A young schoolmate first tried to interest me in the LDS Church when I was about 12 years old, and in middle school. I had little interest in religion at that time, and certainly no interest in joining an other church.
    I told my mother about it, and she - knowing that I have little talent for dancing and don't enjoy going to dances - informed me that the Mormons have lots of dancing in their religion. That "solved my problem," and I promptly forgot about the LDS church for the next 12 years.

Later, at about age 24, was when I finally did join the church. Soon after that, I was attending my first stake conference as a new church member, and someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, and was met by the same young man. He had just returned from his mission in Peru.

• Husker1 Northern Utah County, UT
    May 5, 2017 2:17 p.m.

This is a great story. A little too great.

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    May 5, 2017 2:14 p.m.

Such a great story! Thanks for sharing.