Sign of the times: A restaurant is a restaurant, a bar is a bar in Utah

• TX BYU Fan Heber City, UT
    April 26, 2017 9:34 a.m.

Well, this is just ridiculous.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    April 26, 2017 9:23 a.m.

More ridiculousness from a GOP run state.

Where are all the Trump supporters who want to see 2 regulations removed for every new one created.

What if we had that type of leadership here in Utah?

The hypocrisy astounds us all.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2017 9:00 a.m.

Is Comic Sans an allowable font for the signs?

We already have the required "thorough cooking of meat" and the "consumption of alcohol may impair" advisory signs, plus the "in accordance with the Utah Clean Air Act" sign. So what's one more? Just laminate them and put them all in a Rolodex style flipper by the door. We can kill time waiting for a table. One sign required elsewhere but conspicuously absent in Utah is the health inspection score placard. Now that would be useful for consumers making dining choices.

Tell me again how Utah values free enterprise and hates government regulation?

• SFSteveS SF, CA
    April 25, 2017 11:54 p.m.

I grew up in SLC with all of the odd liquor laws ... saw my bro-in-law become alcoholic due primarily to the quirky laws, saw him change as he moved to CA and then to TN where a greater degree of sanity prevails ... he drinks very little now and quite responsibly ...

Living in CA, I don't see the problems with restaurants serving drinks that are mixed in view of diners ... I don't need nor do I SEE the need for signs that identify which establishments are bars and which are restaurants .... I don't go to bars but I don't have a problem going to places that serve good food and also serve drinks ... nor is it a problem for me to eat at a place that primarily serves drinks, but also has decent food ...

In my years living in SLC, one of the best made sandwiches in the valley was at a joint that was primarily a beer bar ... easily the best hot dog I ever ate was in a place whose primary business was selling beer ... I felt no compunction to drink beer in either place but sadly, both are gone...

That said, Utah laws ARE quirky and by any definition, odd. And for better or worse, the citizenry there is FAR more focused on alcohol than it ought to be and that IS part of the problem.

• libertarian Cedar City, UT
    April 25, 2017 11:03 p.m.

Utah has the most absurd and childish liquor laws in the world. Thanks to our state theocracy.

• mightymite , 00
    April 25, 2017 8:12 p.m.

I for one am so glad they finally addressed this issue. Way to many people are being traumatized by not knowing the difference between a restaurant and bar. This will alleviate so much hardship placed on families and strained relationships caused by this issue. Very glad the legislature stepped up on this one,

• OldSalt94 West Jordan, UT
    April 25, 2017 7:00 p.m.

So does this mean ".... Bar and Grill...." Can't mix.

Maybe it's time we get new legislature....how can you have any pudding if you don't kick your feet,....if you don't kick your feet, how can you have any pudding...

A bar is a bar, how sweet doth it smell?

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2017 6:04 p.m.

More nanny state nonsense from the state that now can declare some intoxicated on just one glass of wine!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 25, 2017 6:04 p.m.

Seriously? We are now worried about adult parents accidentally walking their brood into a den of inequity that sells alcohol? How about one step further and making restaurants, that also sell alcohol, state "This is a restaurant, not a bar (But we serve the devil's brew).

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2017 5:57 p.m.

"Nielsen said he didn't think the signs would make Utah look weird, a word often used to describe the state's liquor laws."

Does anywhere else do this? No? Then it makes us look weird.

• Loud Loiterer Sandy, UT
    April 25, 2017 5:33 p.m.

@ John Brown 1000

It seems like an unnecessary burden to local businesses.

By law, if the venue really is a bar, minors should be turned away at the door by the individual responsible for checking IDs upon entry. I don't think a sign out front is going to stop anyone from attempting to gain access minor or otherwise...

• Juggernaut32 Riverton, UT
    April 25, 2017 5:21 p.m.

John Brown 1000 ,

The implementation of these laws doesn't change anything for the people that abuse alcohol. People will still abuse it, people will still drink and drive, they'll still abuse others, and it still ruin lives. I respect the facts/opinion that you shared, it's your right. However I still feel that those statistics won't change enough for this to matter.

I personally feel that this decision was influenced by law makers personal religious beliefs. Again this is my personal opinion. If people are offended by seeing others have a drink with dinner, then I'm sure there are other options for dinner.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 25, 2017 5:21 p.m.

John Brown,
    Whenever someone has a religious or other reason that they, and therefore everyone else, should not be able to enjoy a beer or two, they often couch it up as a health and safety issue. For example, you note "Maybe because all those deaths are more than double the number killed by opiods (around 31,000 per year), which is more than all other drugs combined.
    Except, and I'm not sure where your stats come from, you often miss the big one. Also a drug, by the way. With regards tobacco, the CDC reports "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers."
    Maybe that's the low hanging fruit people should be concerned about most. But they're not, because preventing preventable death isn't their motive, is it? Meanwhile, I've got to get one of those signs for my garage.

• Procoug Layton, UT
    April 25, 2017 5:10 p.m.

Just so everyone knows... I am planning on opening a line of restaurants titled.... "this is a Bar." I am thinking of opening some bars titled "this is a restaurant." What a great name!

• John Brown 1000 Laketown, UT
    April 25, 2017 5:06 p.m.

Loud Loiterer,

I wasn't commenting on the signs. I was commenting on the question suggesting "mormons have such an immature relationship with alcohol."

The fact is that anyone who treats alcohol like grown-up Sprite is the one with the immature relationship.

As for the signs, if you'd read the law, you'd see the purpose of the sign is to indicate whether minors can enter. Any place that makes more than 30% of its revenue from alcohol is a bar and cannot admit minors. This isn't about Arby's or McDonalds. It's about distinguishing the other places where alcohol is a major or the major item.

• bshelt SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 25, 2017 4:57 p.m.

I'm sure in Laketown nobody drinks but many in SLC do responsibly. Again immature relationship with alcohol.

• Loud Loiterer Sandy, UT
    April 25, 2017 4:29 p.m.

@John Brown 1000

I'm sorry you need a sign to tell you that your local Applebees 'Is NOT a bar'.

I really hope the sign that designates it as being "a restaurant" slows down the 88,000 people that are dying of excessive drinking.

Get real.

• John Brown 1000 Laketown, UT
    April 25, 2017 4:11 p.m.

Maybe because many recognize that excessive drinking kills 88,000 people per year, shortening their lives an average of 30 years.

Maybe because alcohol seems to be a large factor in domestic violence, ruined lives, and violence in general.

Maybe because many have decided that the facts above just don't jibe with the portrayal of alcohol as a grown up version of Sprite.

• bshelt SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 25, 2017 3:28 p.m.

I'm LDS and live in SLC. Why do so many mormons have such an immature relationship with alcohol?