Comcast to offer gigabit across Utah service area

• Knifegloves Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2017 12:14 p.m.

BEWARE! I just called Comcast to ask about this and they do NOT offer a $70/mo option with a 1-year contract. The offer is $159/mo (no contract), $110/mo (1-year contract), or your current plan PLUS $70 to add the gigabit service (1-year contract).

I was disappointed to call and find out that there is NOT a $70/mo option as this article indicates. Though, I'm sure that that's how they described it to the reporter.... only to find out that it's not really $70/mo but instead if $70 ADDITIONAL per month. Just another example of it being impossible to predict the costs of Comcast services.

• Pilountry Brigham City, UT
    April 25, 2017 3:45 p.m.

The article makes mention of "CenturyLink and Google Fiber currently offer gigabit service in limited service areas in Utah."

But makes no mention of UTOPIA and it's various ISP's already offering gigabit connections in limited service areas in Utah as well? That's kind of shoddy.

Guess I'll enjoy my gigabit connection for $50/mo without a contract, as opposed to $160/mo through Comcast where you'll still share the limited copper with your neighbors subject to the same congestion slow down during prime time.

• Octothorpe USA, UT
    April 25, 2017 11:12 a.m.

Just got off the line with Comcast. They REQUIRE that you lease a modem from them for Gig service and will NOT allow you to use your own modem (even if capable/compatible).

• Maverick10 Taylorsville, UT
    April 25, 2017 10:24 a.m.

the proof is in the pudding. Lets see the details. do I need to use their Modem?
    If not what modems are compatible?

When and Where will it be available?

I doubt that I will ever see it available in Taylorsville.

We shall see!!!!

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    April 25, 2017 9:29 a.m.

Yes, Yes, Yes, and yes!!

This shows that competition in a market economy is good. Cable, telephone, and other utility type companies need to be regulated and not allowed to have monopolies.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    April 25, 2017 8:22 a.m.

What arguably is the most hated Corp. in the Country has once again set the hook.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2017 8:01 a.m.

Well, if Google Fiber wasn't the last nail in Utopia's coffin, I think this might be.

Too bad. I would have bought a Utopia connection had it been available in my area.