Hayward and Gobert: The new Stockton and Malone?

• Utah Valley Guy Springville, UT
    April 15, 2017 12:53 a.m.

Getting Hayward back, Hill back, and Ingles back would make Utah fans VERY happy indeed. I hope they've been putting money in the bank these past few years to be able to pay these guys what they've proven they deserve. They're not only talented players, they bring the kind of positive chemistry to the team that they'll need to win a championship in the next year or two when all the pieces come together and we catch a little luck for a change...

• TerryHaimes Sturgis, MS
    April 14, 2017 4:57 p.m.

You can bet that if Hayward has problems with Ingles, Ingles won't be resigned; however, my money says Hayward will insist on Ingles being resigned. I don't think the money is that big of a deal with Hayward. He is not going to leave a lot on the table but to do what he wants to do, whatever it is, he will. I see the contradiction. I think Gobert's, "do you want to win a Championship" will keep him in Utah. I hope so anyway. The other side of the story is, "the Jazz will be very very good without him if Gobert stays healthy, Hood improves, the Jazz keep Ingles and Exum and Neto develop like I think they can.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    April 14, 2017 9:07 a.m.

Fairly sure Gordon's wife doesn't care for Utah. If you follow Gordon on social media you will also see her profile and she doesn't seem enthusiastic about living here.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 14, 2017 8:41 a.m.

No, hopefully they will stay for a while and establish their own long-lasting legacy. Stockton and Malone. Hayward and Gobert. Remembered for decades, one would hope.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    April 14, 2017 7:02 a.m.

@ water rocket
    I think Hayward also has a home in southern California, too, and Doc Rivers and the Clippers are sure to make a bid for him. He might be drawn towards his old coach in Boston or his original home in Indiana, too. Let's hope his wife loves Utah. That would really help.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    April 14, 2017 2:10 a.m.

@Quietwalker

If it boils down to keeping Joe Ingles or George Hill — which it just might — I'd opt to keep Joe.

Ingles brings so much to the table for the Jazz: defense, offense, outstanding 3-point shooting and passing ability. The guy just makes the team so much better in so many ways. To me, it's like adding Jeff Hornacek to Stockton and Malone — Jeff was the missing piece that finally allowed the Jazz to make it to the finals two years in a row.

Imagine Hayward, Gobert and Joe Ingles as the core of the team. Add in Rodney Hood and an up an coming Joel Bolomoby and the Jazz' future looks bright.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    April 14, 2017 1:57 a.m.

The Jazz have two things that might keep Hayward in Utah. One, the Jazz can offer him a longer contract than anyone else. Two, they have a BIG ace-in-the-hole — whose name is Rudy Gobert. Gordon knows that Gobert is likely to become a Superstar or at least a perennial All-Star for years to come. Leaving him behind I'm sure is going to give Hayward second thoughts about leaving.

However, if in the end Gordon chooses to leave, I hope he does a sign-and-trade deal. It wouldn't assuage the pain of losing him, but at least it would leave the Jazz with something — instead of just an empty locker and a boatload of cap space.

• Quietwalker , Al Qassim
    April 13, 2017 9:29 p.m.

Got a feeling if the Jazz resign Joe Ingles, Gordon resigns.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    April 13, 2017 8:34 p.m.

I believe Gordon has a home here. His wife had her baby here. I suspect Gail Miller has made them feel like family here. He has made, and will make a fortune here. So why would he leave? For more money? How much money is enough? Will he leave for a championship ring? Didn't they just beat two of the best teams in the NBA? Will he leave for a better coach? Is there a better coach? I don't think so. Will he leave for a team that isn't so "injury prone"? That one may make him think a little. If he left, how well would he fit in with another team? Finding the right chemistry is really important to a winning team. Where would he find better chemistry? I doubt there is a better place for his chemistry with team mates than here. Does he hate Mormons? I doubt this even enters his mind. Does he hate the mountains, the city, the people? I sure hope not. The bottom line is that there are far more good things going for him than not, right here. Besides, he is the big fish in the pond here.

I think he is simply focused on winning right now, and these things can be addressed later.