Today's teens want gender equality, but not at home

• hbeckett Colfax, CA
    April 4, 2017 2:23 p.m.

I was very happy at home with the way mom and dad kept things going they always knew what and when to do it we were a traditional family mom worked outside of the home when she wanted to and dad was fine with that no arguing thatIi can remember they made choices that were fine to each other combined

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    April 4, 2017 12:09 p.m.

Hrm...

Compare last years study showing that men whose wives earn more then them are happier.

So I think this is another case of idiot kids not knowing what they're talking about.

That said? My grandmother asked me and my boyfriend "so, which of you is the woman?"
    My nephews and nieces? Have never asked that question or anything comparable.

So regardless of what they think is "ideal", I think the kids are going to be all-right.

• IceCreamGhost Sandy, UT
    April 3, 2017 2:18 a.m.

Having flexibility in gender roles is good for everybody. Every couple should just work out what works for them - in some cases it's completely traditional and the man works/wife at home and sometimes the complete opposite. The beauty of it is - the people involved get to decide! I call that progress. Everyone is different.
    @Simplicity
    Your argument ends with "As countries become more liberal/feminist/progressive the family unit crumbles. Traditions, religion and culture deteriorates as communism and fascism ensues. Good bye freedom and happiness."

As a woman I am so grateful that I live in a time where I can vote and inherit and get a job without discrimination, where I can choose the number and timing of my children and have freedom to live a life with choices. Your argument is vague and makes no sense. It incorrectly assumes that all feminists are the stereotype of man-hating liberals. I dont think you appreciate that "progressive" thinking has made life better for many groups that were previously left out of a great deal of what society has to offer.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    April 2, 2017 8:14 p.m.

Generally speaking, men and women are different. Men are wired as hunters and gatherers. Women are wired as caretakers and homemakers. This is not opinion, it is truth. Regardless of the liberal view of media and feminist/progressive movements this truth will prevail.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 2, 2017 1:03 a.m.

Sorry folks, but a dentist should make more money then a burger flipper.

The demand for particular skills is what determines the pay.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2017 1:07 p.m.

Work is work whether it is in the workplace or home. It is about fair division of labor that is important not gender roles & stereotypes. We need to quit locking people into roles and help people be fair, compassionate, equally responsible for success in both environments.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 1, 2017 8:14 a.m.

As Jeff Foxworthy notes, women do about 99.9% of the cooking and cleaning jobs at home, but men will take more recognition for their .1%.

• worf McAllen, TX
    March 31, 2017 11:25 p.m.

You don't whine, and beg for equality.

You take the bull by the horns, and make your own success.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    March 31, 2017 8:06 p.m.

@Frozen Fractals

Millennials are those that graduated high school around 2000. Most are in their 30s now. This group is very liberal. It's Gen Z, most of these are in k-12 or will graduating soon that are rejecting liberalism.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2017 6:52 p.m.

@DBreit1
    Good point, I'll just say I suspect there's not a very large difference between the voting patterns of high school seniors (the subject of this survey) and that of 18-24 year olds.

• DBreit1 Lehi, UT
    March 31, 2017 6:15 p.m.

@Frozen Fractals - Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2017 5:58 p.m.
    @illuminated
    "Generation Z, as they're calling it, is the most Conservative generation since the WW2 generation. "

"Then why do they overwhelmingly vote Democratic?"

Gen Z are too young to vote - they are still in High School, Jr High, etc.... It's the Millennials (Gen Y) that are voting/acting overwhelmingly Democratic/Progressive/Marxist (though a portion have strong libertarian leanings instead)...

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2017 5:58 p.m.

@illuminated

Then why do they overwhelmingly vote Democratic?

• Tiger750 usa, UT
    March 31, 2017 4:50 p.m.

It seems to me equality in the home comes down to people being happy with the roles they have assumed, working as a partnership. This comes down to personal likes and dislikes, talents, physical strength, patience etc. Being equal doesn't necessarily mean that I expect my wife to do half the vehicle repairs, or carry something heavy half way to the house from the back of the truck. The way I view responsibilities around the home is that we each focus on what we are the most capable of doing so we get the job done well and quickly so we can spend time doing something more fun and relaxing. Really it's all common sense, but it does rely on people being reasonable and open minded to ensure no one feels put on. The researchers seem to be working from the idea that men and women are the same, interchangeable, when I think as individuals we know we are not the same. The young people surveyed know this too and can recognize that some of what may be seen as stereotypes are actually common sense when it comes to deciding who does what. Then of course the one thing that can't be changed is that women are the ones who give birth to our children so a father can never be exactly a mother.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    March 31, 2017 4:27 p.m.

Generation Z, as they're calling it, is the most Conservative generation since the WW2 generation. This has the fake mainstream news media freaking out. Their viewers are literally dying off.

This new generation is getting their news off of YouTube and alternative media which is dominated by Conservative and honest journalism. That's why you see an all out attack on their advertisers (YouTube) and speech censorship on social media like Twitter and Facebook.

Generation Z is killing liberal journalism off slowly but surely. They're also pushing the Democrat party into balkanization, prominent only in small and irrelevent regional locations. We all need to be very careful. A cornered animal is at its most violent.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    March 31, 2017 10:08 a.m.

It seems the researchers wanted the research to come out differently. They said that the results are hard to explain, puzzling, and cognitively dissonant.

Researchers tend to be looking forward to their next project and the grant money they need to get. While the survey results are mixed, it is clear that the approval the majority of high school seniors have for more defined traditional male-female roles in the home is not going to sit well with most funding organizations that have been trending liberal for the past 30 to 40 years.

It is refreshing that the researchers had the integrity to honestly produce their results in spite of the fact in may cost them future grant money.

• worf McAllen, TX
    March 31, 2017 9:39 a.m.

Check a thousand people going to a grocery store, or buffet.

No two grocery carts, or dinner plates will be exactly the same.

Equality will never exist, because people are all different! That's the way it is!

• Sportsfan123 Salt lake, UT
    March 31, 2017 8:44 a.m.

I think listening to the younger generation can defenitely shed some light on the best way to raise children and manage a family.

Sometimes it takes alot for society to accept changes and allow freedoms and opportunities for both genders. I think women and men should have equal oportunities, for business women that seek a career they should have that oportunity, but if they choose to stay home to raise children that should be acceptable also.

Children raised by their own parents are better off then children who are not. Daycare is a great service for those who need it, but I think children being raised by their own mother and father at home is the best way to raise kids. Coming from a single parent home myself growing up and raising my children with my wife being home I see the difference and the benefits having one of the parents at home to support and rear the children, my kids are emotionally more stable than I was and are better students. Things I struggled with as I grew up with.

Studies show children raised in a traditional family with a mother and a father at home have a 85% better chance of becoming productive adults than other demographics.