Utah gun rights group takes aim at .05 DUI law

• Allisdair Thornbury, Vic
    March 26, 2017 5:15 p.m.

This weekend proved drink and guns don't mix, 20 people shot in a bar.

Sign the law and move on, nothing to see here.

• The Universal Curmudgeon Canada, 00
    March 23, 2017 3:55 p.m.

As I understand the reported objection, the "Gun Rights People" are concerned that the police will burst into people's homes and forcibly administer "Breathalyzer" tests as a part of the super secret, hidden, covert, conspiracy to take guns away from all Americans.

I won't SAY "Paranoid" but I sure can spell it.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    March 23, 2017 1:13 p.m.

More attempts by the religious right to impose upon us their beliefs in this state.

Hopefully, 2nd amendment rights folks can put an end to the madness.

• Oh, please! Saint George, UT
    March 23, 2017 11:12 a.m.

@ I M LDS 2

This wasn't "debated in Congress" because it is a pending State of Utah law. :)

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    March 23, 2017 10:41 a.m.

Should anyone who is "self" impaired carry a firearm? I don't think so.

• Web Geek Lehi, UT
    March 23, 2017 10:23 a.m.

Bottom line: if it's not safe to drive at .05, it's not safe to carry a gun at .05. End of discussion.

Governor Herbert, please sign this law.

• Tyler McArthur South Jordan, UT
    March 23, 2017 10:02 a.m.

I hope Governor Herbert signs this bill into law. It will undoubtedly save lives. You're allowed to drink. You're allowed to drive. Just don't do it at the same time.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 23, 2017 8:25 a.m.

Guns over public safety. The gun nuts are out of control.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 22, 2017 10:14 p.m.

This should be interesting. Nobody is able to defend a reduction of .03 when it comes to Utah motorists.
    But gun owners...they are owed a pass. Just ask them. Aside from alcohol intoxication, there are all kinds of premises under which they will demand you be able to own guns which would disqualify you from driving.
    Will someone who has a BAC of .06 be allowed to have a gun in a car yet not drive it? Are we serious about trying to split hairs at this point, or is this just an issue of control?

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    March 22, 2017 9:46 p.m.

Whether we are talking about driving or carrying a gun, the question that had not been adequately answered is: does the .03% make a practical difference in impairment. From the data I have seen, it does not.

But the gun lobby does raise a new issue: does having .03% more alcohol in your system justify suspending a person's 2nd Amendment rights? If so, on what basis? And why was this issue not debated in Committee and in Congress?

• 3grandslams Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 22, 2017 9:40 p.m.

Every conceal class I've taken forcefully declares alcohol and guns don't mix...at all. Gun right activists need of all people to support this bill.

Second, nobody will be arrested for having a drink with dinner. Ridiculous fear tactics. Bottom line if you get pulled over for wreckless driving and your BAL is .05, you're busted. If .05 doesn't inhibit you, no one has to worry.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    March 22, 2017 9:08 p.m.

Let me see if I understand this... the gun lobby, who is against any kind of regulation of guns, wants us to believe it is a good idea to have people packing guns, the same people who many consider to be impaired enough to not be able to drive safely.

This is what makes this type of group plus the NRA seriously hard to take. As a gun owner and user myself, I can't see how any logical person could not see the value of keeping people who are drinking to not carry a gun. How in the world do you defend this stance? Just what we all need, drunk people loosing their inhibitions while packing.

Let's keep guns safe for everyone. Drink. Cary a gun. Just not at the same time.