'You exemplify everything I prayed you would be': Sister Elaine Dalton speaks to Relief Society sisters of Salt Lake City YSA Stakes

• Freba American Fork, UT
    Sept. 25, 2017 2:20 p.m.

Sis. Dalton never said ALL the marchers were behaving in ways unbecoming of Daughters of God. She said she saw some marchers in New York City behaving that way. She was merely commenting on what she SAW. And that is what I SAW as I watched the news of the marches in NYC and Washington DC. It's amazing how so many women are willing to EXCUSE the behavior of the women who were dressed in gross outfits and yelling profanities, as well as those who were marching in favor of abortion. Yes, there were some women who were not protesting in this way or marching in favor of abortion, but many were. They use their disapproval of Pres. Trump's behavior or remarks as an EXCUSE for the behavior of ANYONE who was marching. These critics of Sis. Dalton say they were marching for virtue. Little do they realize that they were marching for other things, such as abortion, as well, just by participating. She wasn't calling out ALL the women's marchers, just commenting on what she saw. In today's political climate a well-meaning person like Sis. Dalton cannot even comment on what she sees without her remarks being blown out of proportion or interpreted into something she didn't say at all.

• ja4486 Boise, ID
    March 3, 2017 9:32 p.m.

Sister Dalton literally said "all of those women" when she was criticizing the protesters. I protested at the Women's March on behalf of women who are oversexualized and for women who are assaulted. I also marched on behalf of refugees and immigrants who we are turning our backs on. I was not unladylike at all. I simply marched because I care about people and I want the government and others to support them (which is something I do in my private life as well, through volunteer work.)

To be quite honest, I would rather surround myself with unladylike women who protest against sexual assault than surround myself with polite women who quietly ignore such behavior.

• jsegovia Lexington, MA
    March 3, 2017 2:20 p.m.

We support your words 100%, Sis. Dalton. Thanks so much for having the courage to be honest and consistent, even when that comes with a penalty.

• WhateverWorks Las Vegas, NV
    March 2, 2017 10:56 p.m.

Sister Dalton was 100% correct that “there has never been a time like this" & never has the “opposition be greater.” She was also right that there is “so much hope” in the “change-the-world generation.” Years of reciting the Young Women values caused us to internalized them. So, we marched with F-a-i-t-h that we could inspire change & build a kinder America for all of God’s Children.

I marched to teach my daughter that she has a D-i-v-i-n-e N-a-t-u-r-e with infinite potential to do difficult things & face powerful foes. I marched so that she would know that her I-n-d-i-v-i-d-u-a-l W-o-r-t-h isn't dependent on her looks or the approval of others.

My family made a C-h-o-i-c-e to march in support of vulnerable & marginalized communities, because we knew that we would be A-c-c-o-u-n-t-a-b-l-e if we did not stand up & work for the cause of justice. I consider our march a truly G-o-o-d W-o-r-k, representative of our I-n-t-e-g-r-i-t-y. I could not look my Muslim & immigrant neighbors in the eyes if I did not stand in solidarity with them.

We did call “the world for a return to virtue” & our record breaking, peaceful march has inspired a movement that continues to grow & do good works.

• ihe in slc Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2017 4:52 p.m.

I attended the fireside where Sister Elaine Dalton spoke last Sunday, and I’ve been puzzled by the negative reactions to it. It seems animosity towards Donald Trump has caused some people to impute meaning to Sister Dalton’s comments, to put their mistaken interpretation into her mouth and then criticize her for it. Her remarks about the Women’s March were not a criticism of women standing for what they believe. In fact, one of the central themes of her message was to applaud women for doing just that. On TV I saw leaders of the Women’s March use fowl hateful language as a central part of their message. I think this what Sister Dalton saw in NYC that made her heart sink. The point is, both women and men should stand for their values in a Christ-like—not a contentious or hateful—way, and this is what Sister Dalton encouraged young adult women to do. Those who “marched” in this manner should feel good about it, realize they weren’t being criticized or shamed by her, and not feel a need to attack and shame her in return. I’m so glad Elaine Dalton is brave enough to speak up for virtue and chastity—ideals rejected by many today—and willing to be the target of mockery because of it.

• Light and Liberty St. George/Washington, UT
    March 2, 2017 2:47 p.m.

It is amazing how many people here missed the point entirely. Dalton wasn't excusing any poor behavior thing about Trump. She, however, was about advising young women to be virtuous in their own lives. The Women's March was mostly a bunch of anger directed toward President Trump. Look around, most of those women wanted nothing to do with virtue, life, and God. They were angry and funneling their own anger toward something that could take it, the Presidency of the United States. If most of these women really wanted to make a difference, they would be home attending to the needs of their own children, neighborhood, and life, not wasting time flailing away at Donald Trump. I passed through Costco the other day and saw a book about the Women's March. It was filled with vulgar, obscene, and hateful words, rhetoric and anger. There was nothing that was 'praiseworthy or of good report.' Anyone associated with that garbage ought to rethink what it is they truly represent. Thank you to sister Dalton for representing virtue, honesty, and goodness.

• Mormon Mom, Newberg, UT Newberg, OR
    March 2, 2017 10:26 a.m.

I deeply appreciate the comments, and the example, of Sis. Dalton. Truly, she was prepared to lead the YW of the Church, "for such a time as this." We have been blessed by her inspired leadership. I, too, was dismayed by much of the content of the Women's Marches--the crude language, the angry, ranting diatribes by "entertainers" who make $$ pedaling immorality, the tawdry costuming, the cursing, etc. Were I to march in support of a return to virtue, it would be under a different banner, with leaders who themselves exemplify virtue, dignity, Grace, and the truly feminine. That Right-to Life groups were excluded, is most telling of these organized protests. Thank you, Sister Dalton, for reflecting the light of Christ, which "breaks through clouds of strife," for pointing us to the Savior, whose goodness leads us to "a better choice than evil's anguished cries."

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2017 9:21 a.m.

Wow people. Read what she said. She never condemned protesting as a practice. She didn't say that these people shouldn't be protesting Trump. She didn't say that Trump is good or that he is bad.

What she said was that the protesters that she was were profane and not acting as a daughter of God should act. She said that she would love to see them out marching for virtue. So those of you that marched in the protest, if you were being respectful and ladylike, I don't think her words are condemning you.

I am amazed at how reluctant people are, when they hear words of counsel, to look within and say, "Is it I?" Instead, people throw up walls. I am constantly disappointed by people who put their political feelings above religious conviction or even family connections. How many people struggle with the church or their family because of their political outlook? Sad, warped priorities. And people not willing to look within and ask if they can change or improve. Instead, people castigate Sister Dalton.

The church's teachings are there to make us happy. They are not there to make us jump through hoops or do a little dance.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    March 1, 2017 10:45 a.m.

I'm just curious if Ms. Dalton as outraged by Ivanka showing her bare shoulders and bra strap last night.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    March 1, 2017 5:20 a.m.

Sister Dalton, a beautiful, courageous, and much admired church leader, has influenced and strengthened for good a whole generation of young women. If she saw and heard things demonstrated by the "marchers" that were not in keeping with the standards of the church, then it is her right to warn and speak out. My own personal thoughts concerning recent "marches" was that while Trump's stupid and embarrassing remarks, made years ago, were startling and terribly offensive, not a few, including men and women, would rather certain chapters in our own lives not be recorded and aired. Sister Dalton is right to suggest and champion for women the eternal value of better/best behavior, actions, and speech. Lady like = characteristic, suitable for a lady; refined, well bred

• bike/read/work bountifu, UT
    March 1, 2017 1:57 a.m.

I am perplexed at Sister Dalton's tone, but giving her the benefit of doubt,I think she is just ignorant of the facts and is just not well read. That can be the only explanation as these woman were legally protesting a president who bragged about being able to sexually assault women, who cheated on his pregnant wife, who has engaged in dishonest business practices by not paying small business contractors what they're owed. I don't want a president who sexually assaults, who lies and cheats. He is also a draft dodger that does not remember even which leg it is that got him out of the draft...oh yeah and he lied he was at the top of his class at Wharton.
    I would have rather seen in an ideal world her praising those marchers, praising the women who got women in the Boston marathon----praising and encouraging women to protest Trumps ban on immigrants as it wasn't that long ago that President Rutherford Hays luckily for us did not ban Mormon immigrants from Europe who were called by some "terrorists"

• MormonForever St George, UT
    Feb. 28, 2017 8:03 p.m.

Thank you Sister Dalton for your good words. I agree with you.

• We wear Blue ogden, ut
    Feb. 28, 2017 7:34 p.m.

WE ARE DAUGHTERS of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. WE WILL “STAND as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” (Mosiah 18:9) as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:
    Faith • Divine Nature • Individual Worth • Knowledge • Choice and Accountability • Good Works • Integrity • and Virtue.

I marched because I believed in these words. The words we teach YM to live by every week.

How dare she diminish that.

• Kia Kaha St George, UT
    Feb. 28, 2017 7:22 p.m.

Mother Eve would have been at the front of the march. Deborah the prophetess would have been there in her chariot and with her sword. Virtue is about having the courage, strength, honesty, passion and compassion to take a stand and raise your voice and move your feet in pursuit and support of your most deeply held principles. This fearless ACT, symbolized by the Women's March, is the ultimate expression of love for oneself, for our children and for each other. The war in heaven opened the door to these types of courageous choices. The war in heaven closed the door in the face of he who would have canceled the march and arrested everyone that attended. Lets be done with the shaming and the assault on free agency. Love will always rule the day.

• PianoChick27 Olympia, WA
    Feb. 28, 2017 4:42 p.m.

I am a Mormon mother of daughters, active in the church, who marched in the Women's March after the inauguration, my family alongside me. Sister Dalton said, "What would happen if all those women were marching and calling to the world for a return to virtue?" But I was march for a return to virtue. We have a president who bragged about being able to sexually assault women, who cheated on his pregnant wife, who has engaged in dishonest business practices by not paying small business contractors what they're owed. I don't want a president who sexually assaults, who lies and cheats. I want a virtuous president who takes their job seriously and who respects others. That is why I marched, and why I took my daughters with me.

• aschnitzius Dallas, TX
    Feb. 28, 2017 4:09 p.m.

Disappointed to hear her esteem "ladylike" behavior above coming together peacefully to protest. Those of us with daughters in the church are worried about commentary like this. I'm raising strong women who will stand strong against wrong. I'm not raising them to be ladylike. This is part of the reason our church is hemorrhaging women. Forcing them to choose between being ladylike and strong is a foolish choice to ask them to make. For my generation, and certainly the generation of my teenaged daughters, strong trumps ladylike every time, and thank goodness for that.

• Aephelps14 San Luis Obispo, CA
    Feb. 28, 2017 3:42 p.m.

This is why I have such strong reservations about raising kids in the LDS church. The message being sent is that it is more important to be lady-like than to have a voice and stand up for your rights or those of others. It also sends the message that being upset by the normalization of "locker room talk" is not okay. This message, along with the anti-feminist sentiments expressed by leaders of the church over many years, clearly speaks to the leader's inability to hear an important message unless it is expressed in a manner befitting their personal tastes. Frankly, it makes me sad and disappointed, but not surprised.

• ELO Los Angeles, CA
    Feb. 28, 2017 3:38 p.m.

I wonder if Sister Dalton realizes that it was women marching in the 60's and 70's that enabled her to run in all those marathons, as well as some brave women actually breaking the gender barrier and running in marathons when it was forbidden. Men didn't just suddenly have an epiphany lift the archaic rules in the early 70's.

Maybe "unladylike" behavior is good for something.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2017 12:59 p.m.

"You be fussy."

Unless you're at a protest apparently...

• kla795 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2017 12:49 p.m.

The term 'ladylike' is problematic. Her use of it suggests that women are supposed to put up and shut up. If you stand up and let your voice be heard, well, that's 'unladylike'. If being a 'lady' means that we stand silently by while we ourselves or women we love are marginalized, assaulted, and abused, then I'm happy to call myself 'unladylike'.

• Carrie123 Beaverton, OR
    Feb. 28, 2017 12:32 p.m.

Dear Sister Dalton,
    You said, "What would happen if all those women were marching and calling to the world for a return to virtue?’”...
    For my sisters and brothers who marched, this IS why we marched.
    Standing for virtue is standing against sexual abuse and misogyny.
    Standing for virtue is standing against mass deportations.
    Standing for virtue is standing against racism and xenophobia.
    Standing for virtue is standing up for the poor and needy.
    Standing for virtue is standing for free speech and liberty.
    Standing for virtue is standing for freedom of religion for everyone.
    We marched to uphold virtue.
    This IS our standard of liberty...

“And it came to pass that [s]he rent [her] coat; and [s]he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it—In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our [families], and our children—and [s]he fastened it upon the end of a pole.” – Alma 46:12

I felt love, sisterhood, compassion. I felt that people were trying to bear one another’s burdens, to mourn with those who mourn.
    My experience at the women’s march was nothing of what you describe.
    I hope having this other perspective might help you to see why so many women would march.

• wbishop Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 28, 2017 10:26 a.m.

I proudly marched in Los Angeles. I think there is virtue in promoting equality for women. I think there is virtue in pushing back against a man who sexually assaults women (instead of just staying silent). I think there is virtue in sticking up for marginalized groups. Strong women can still be women of virtue.

• Bonesflint Fruit heights, UT
    Feb. 28, 2017 10:09 a.m.

My son, daughter, and I marched in Park City. As I watched all of that take place, my heart just sang and I thought to myself, ‘What would happen if all the women and men in the world were marching and calling to the world for a return to virtue, to equality, and to liberty for all?’”

• Nanook of the North Los Angeles, CA
    Feb. 28, 2017 9:43 a.m.

Sister Dalton seems to have a very high esteem for the value of "Virtue". Yet when women stood up and marched to protest the fact that the new President has absolutely ZERO respect for women's virtue, Sister Dalton calls the marchers "unladylike"?! Does Sister Dalton think it's MORE "ladylike" to just meekly accept the fact that the new President has a completely opposite view of the value of "Virtue" than she and the women she was speaking to have? I Don't Get It.

• Benevolus Fruit Heights, UT
    Feb. 28, 2017 9:27 a.m.

It's very ironic Elaine Dalton chose to denigrate people protesting against a man who brags about abusing women.

Certainly she is aware of the thousands of well-mannered women who turned out to the Utah State capital. Why not mention them as examples of great behavior?

• mamiejane Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2017 8:34 a.m.

America has a President who has bragged about groping women and spoken about women's bodies in a demeaning way. I hope Sister Dalton understands that many of those women who marched after the inauguration against President Trump comments and conduct toward women were marching for virtue.

• Charity for all Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 28, 2017 7:44 a.m.

I appreciated her comments on the women's march. I have family members and good friends who have matched several times and matched with love and "virtue". She would have been proud of them. And it sounds like the last commenter and her daughter's did it with "virtue" too. Sister dalton made no blanket statement of condemnation only sadness and regret for a few she saw personally. And we won't know all she really said since this is just a quick summary. Sister dalton is one of the most charitable and wise women on this earth I believe. Let us not cast aspersions to her.

• new commenter Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2017 7:37 a.m.

Breaks my heart she'd put down so many women who were marching for what they felt was right. ... she tells us not to be so hard on ourselves while judging millions of women around the world for marching. Sister Dalton, thousands of Mormon women marched. Without women's marches throughout history, including some irreverence, we'd not be able to vote as women, to work, and to have so many rights we do. Let's lift ALL women up, not shame some to make others and yourself feel better. Women are struggling for equality all over the world, and this was a moment for women to stand in solidarity and not judge anyone for their plights. Don't judge another if you haven't walked in their shoes.

• RKLD Provo, UT
    Feb. 27, 2017 9:36 p.m.

It is very disappointing to hear Sister Dalton characterize the women's marches in this way. My daughters and I proudly marched for civic virtue at the women's march in SLC on Jan 23. My participation was largely motived by my belief in the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ and my hope for a more virtuous world.