Why depression recovery rarely happens with a single solution

• summarizerer Berryville, VA
    Feb. 23, 2017 7:33 a.m.

@lets be mature

"These injuries to the soul can only be healed when we turn outside of ourselves and serve others."

Sooo...your saying it is all a spiritual issue? While I will agree there is a spiritual part to depression I would say that there is in very deed a physical side to it as well. You might be a great person but have a vitamin D deficiency like I developed and still end up with depression and mental health difficulties.

@Worf..

"The cause often stems from our own decision making such as:"

There are plenty of people with depression that don't fit your list.

You can add "Not getting enough sunshine", "being stuck in an office with no windows" to your list.

Something that I rarely hear advice for is to make sure your getting the vitamins your body needs on a daily basis. Personally cooking is a weakness for me and many others so I am taking a multi-vitamin while I try and improve my cooking skills and have a balance of vitamins in my diet through food.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Feb. 20, 2017 12:04 p.m.

A really excellent article. I have know several people who have taken medication and it has made a world of difference in their lives. Obviously the best results are going to come from medication in conjunction with other behavioral changes in your life. It's just like any other medication, you will get the most benefit from you high blood pressure medication if you also change your diet and activity level.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    Feb. 19, 2017 11:14 a.m.

Terra Nova,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I agree with them all.

Too often we tend to put depression in a box, when in reality it is far more complex than that. True, there are some commonalities among those who suffer from depression, but depression has many different components that go beyond the commonalities many times.

Depression can also have many "sisters"....an example of one is anxiety disorder. Another is shame.

As is almost always the case with anything, in order to fully understand the complexities of depression, one needs to actually experience it, know someone who does, or be trained in the field.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2017 9:06 p.m.

The naive comments made by some people regarding clinical depression never seem to amaze me.

• Tracy A. Provp, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 1:17 p.m.

As it says one treatment may not be the answer, I think I could say for most this is the answer. I do not sell it or have reason to share other than how well True Hope works as I have experienced for myself. It can be purchased slightly cheaper at Q-Sciences in PG, UT with the same formula and by the same founder. The big deal is it is chelated (so it gets into the cells) micronutrients that cross the blood-brain barrier. The focus is on minerals in the right proportion and balance to do so much!! I hope you get to experience the difference as depression is not for me (or you). Other nerve conditions can use this too and there are studies to show traumatic brain injury is improved because neurons, dendrites, synapses, etc increase.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 8:45 a.m.

@worf - The behaviors you describe are often attempts to self-medicate for depression. They are not the root cause of depression.

@Rubydo - The value of medication should not be lightly or summarily dismissed. The problem with medication is that "when it works" it only does half the job. It may eliminate or "take the edge off" persistent depression, but there is no pill which will magically take care of the hard work associated with rooting out the unhealthy thought processes in which depression is more likely to thrive.

@lets be mature - Service is a key component to creating a happier life space. I appreciate the general direction of your thinking. Thank you. I would add that cultivating gratitude is also very helpful. Spending time thanking others is an effective form of service. Spending time in prayer or meditation with a special focus on finding some form of good in ALL that is going on in your life is helpful. And it is hard work.

Nevertheless, ignoring persistent on-going depression is unwise. Don't ignore depression which has gone longer than two weeks. Depression is a disease. It happens. There are effective therapies.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Feb. 16, 2017 10:09 a.m.

IMO, most depressions can be cured if you know the cause.

The cause often stems from our own decision making such as:

* drinking alcohol
    * taking drugs
    * sexual permissiveness
    * listening to certain kinds of music
    * spending beyond our means
    * etc

Once we find the cause, the cure becomes easier.

• Rubydo Provo, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 10:03 a.m.

Placebos are more effective than antidepressants.

• lets be mature Meridian/USA, ID
    Feb. 16, 2017 9:19 a.m.

A piece of advice to anyone struggling- don't focus on it. Focusing on your own depression, much like stress, simply makes it worse. These injuries to the soul can only be healed when we turn outside of ourselves and serve others.