BYU's Signing Day features a little bit of drama

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 6, 2017 6:06 a.m.

kaysvillecougar:

"It's interesting and a positive sign that most of the head to head battles with Utah, BYU won - in recruiting."

It'll be interesting to see how you'll respond when you come to the dark realization that the cougars DIDN'T win the head-to-head recruiting battles with Utah. The Utes and the cougs went head-to-head on 14 recruits. The Y won 6 of them (Ah You, Tofa, Fauatea, Tuifua, Batty, and Henshaw), and the Utes won 8 (Unutoa, Vimahi, Suguturaga, Ford, Pututau, Agasiva, Richardson, and Penisini).

It's interesting how many times I've heard cougar fans claim to have won the head-to-head recruiting battles this year despite this fact.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 12:58 p.m.

"I'm sure that Utah ranked higher than BYU everywhere, but I don't really care. The question is - why do you care? You should be more concerned that ESPN has you smoked by 7 other Pac-12 schools."

65trap:

So you don't care that ESPN has BYU smoked by EVERY P5 school, and by 4 G5 schools, but you DO care about how ESPN ranks Utah's recruiting class? So, answer your own question--why do you care?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 12:25 p.m.

"Please tell the whole story, not just the piece that fits your agenda."

LOL, something that Ute "fans" avoid at all costs!

• worf McAllen, TX
    Feb. 2, 2017 11:28 a.m.

Can't put much stock into these rankings.

Many lower ranking teams beat those who are higher. Boise State does it frequently, and how was Wyoming successful?

Notre Dame, Oregon, and Texas were disasters with their high ranking recruits.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Feb. 2, 2017 11:10 a.m.

Re: S_Grundy
    I think you're the one in denial and deflection. Yes, I'm sure that Utah ranked higher than BYU everywhere, but I don't really care. The question is - why do you care? You should be more concerned that ESPN has you smoked by 7 other Pac-12 schools, including 4 in the Pac-12 South. If you're happy with being 5/6 in the Pac-12 South - don't let me rain on your parade.

• SageScott Scottsdale, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2017 10:54 a.m.

I don't put a ton of stock in these rankings but Utah is 8th in the PAC 12 per ESPN. Now what Utah does have is good coaching which makes them better than they look on paper with recruiting. As an example ASU has average coaching in my opinion. BYU is still to be determined. Detmer was lost early on with the offense, it will have to be seen if that was due to having a non West Coast offense QB or if that is going to be a continued problem.

• SageScott Scottsdale, AZ
    Feb. 2, 2017 10:34 a.m.

Ah You is the guy BYU had to get to make them not get nervous. I agree that WR seems to be thin. Maybe a late Ju-Co signing would help.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 2, 2017 10:31 a.m.

My good friend powertrap

Let us know what Rivals or Scout say? Please tell the whole story, not just the piece that fits your agenda.

• cal cougar camarillo, CA
    Feb. 2, 2017 10:25 a.m.

Looks like we are pretty similar with star rankings with Bronco's time at BYU. I thought that all that extra work recruiting would translate into better athletes. Not the case. Same old Bronco language from the coach about the irrelevance of star ratings. That spoke volumes about how they did versus their own expectations this year. I will say that Coach Lamb is a master of getting athletes that will perform that were off everyone's radar. That is hopeful.

I think the wins and losses are the recruiting tool. If Mangum can rally the team to a 2 loss season next year and the following, you may expect a substantial uptick in recruiting. It is not a case of the coaches not giving the effort on recruiting.

That being said, BYU coaches seem to get the most out of lesser talent. Hence, the close games with Utah and other quality programs that get much better talent.

• S_Grundy Denver, CO
    Feb. 2, 2017 10:08 a.m.

@65Toss

Another BYU Fan in complete denial.

Utah had an exceptional class. BYU's was very mediocre. There is no argument at all. You cannot spin this. Let me help you out with the facts:

Rivals - Utah #25, BYU#62;
    Scout - Utah #33, BYU #58;
    247 sports - Utah #36, BYU #66;
    ESPN - Utah #41, BYU #70.
    Average - Utah #34, BYU #64

Just so you know. Rivals has Utah as the 6 best reciting Class in the P12 only behind #6USC, #18Ore, #19Stan, #21UCLA, #23Wash. That is pretty impressive.
    But hey at least you guys were #2 in recruiting among Independents.

• Sounds right.. St George, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 9:45 a.m.

Actually they finished 58 on scout and that is better than 2015 and 2014 classes that were signed by Bronco.(I did not look past 2014) Just a heads up, maybe do a little research before you post something that is incorrect.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Feb. 2, 2017 9:40 a.m.

So here we go with the "My Ranking is Bigger than Your Ranking Game." Interesting, I just looked at ESPN's top 40. Neither Utah nor BYU were listed; however, I saw 7 Pac-12 teams in that top 40, so that means ESPN has Utah ranked no better than 8 in the Pac-12. I have no doubt that Utah is ranked higher than BYU, but Utah should be more worried about the Pac-12 South teams that were ranked higher - USC, UCLA, Colorado and Arizona State. Not to despair - you did beat Arizona but 5th out of 6 isn't very good.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 2, 2017 9:18 a.m.

At Long Last,

Nope, their too busy dumping on Utah's class rated #25 per Rivals.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 9:17 a.m.

Nice try behansenjr. Really doubtful you're a BYU fan. At long last, BYU came in at 65, but you're not a BYU fan so why do you care? Initially, I thought this was going to be a bummer class, but I think it's really solid. One of the strengths of this coaching staff is player development. It will be fun to see what happens in the next few years. I didn't expect Tufele to sign with us but I was hoping the kid from East who's dad died would make it to BYU. Too bad. It's interesting and a positive sign that most of the head to head battles with Utah, BYU won - in recruiting. Now it would be great to transfer that to the field.

• bhansenjr Drums, PA
    Feb. 2, 2017 8:05 a.m.

2017 worst class rating in years (according to ESPN and Scout.com). In this case quantity does not equal quality. Utah killed us.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Feb. 2, 2017 7:12 a.m.

Unable to find any listing for how BYU did on signing day. Anyone have a number from any rating group?