Richard Davis: Although they may not realize it, LDS Church members will sorely miss Brother Reid

• Heidi71 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2017 1:48 p.m.

I don't appreciate Davis' lecturing stance. I just found out that he is or was the chair of the Utah Co. Democrat Party, so he is biased. And all those articles that he wrote against Donald Trump, were biased from that standpoint. Just because he is a BYU professor, doesn't mean he's smarter than the average voter. It's time the country come together. President Trump is not divisive. He's a uniter, despite what the MSM and "experts," like David say. Obama was the most divisive president we've had. Harry Reid is very divisive and embarrassing to the Church, and America in general. Let's stop with this nonsense.

• The Balloonatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2017 1:35 p.m.

When Reid spoke at the BYU forum in the mid 2000s, it was very disappointing. His talk was less spiritual than non-LDS speakers' who have been Forum guests. His speech was all about him. It was a lot of bragging and was politically divisive. Unfortunately, there were some screams of misguided, delighted approval from the audience. And those outright lies about Romney's taxes, etc.. Reid was a humiliating example of a member of the LDS Church. I felt the need to apologize on his behalf.

• PeanutGallery Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 5, 2017 2:24 p.m.

Mr. Davis is conveniently overlooking an important factor. Yes, Harry Reid may have done some things in his career that were beneficial to the LDS church, but the reason many church members are (rightly) critical of him is NOT because he is a partisan politician.

The real reason is because he has repeatedly abused the authority of his office, and has repeatedly done and supported things which have undermined the U.S. Constitution, a document considered divinely inspired by church members. He has also publicly lied in ways that have harmed private citizens. He has publicly supported legislation that was in direct contradiction to his most fundamental religious principles.

In his personal and religious life maybe he is seen as a quiet, kind, decent fellow, but that doesn’t excuse the behavior in his public life. Perhaps the reason some LDS church members are hardest on him is because they can more easily see through the double standard in his life.

• Chuck E. Racer Lehi, UT
    Feb. 4, 2017 12:29 p.m.

I can understand differences of opinion, but I just cannot get over the fact that he lied about Romney's taxes and even boasted about it.

• Lightfinder Independence, MO
    Feb. 4, 2017 1:44 a.m.

I am sorry, but having grown up in Las Vegas and hearing Harry Reid make many promises that he did not keep, I cannot disagree more stridently with both the tone and conclusions of this articles. Harry Reid consistently and stridently took political positions and made decisions enabling the continuation of partial-birth abortion, liberalization of many policies against church doctrine, weakening of the military, crony capitalism, a fully leftist- and socialist agenda, in short -- everything wrong with the National Democratic party. He blew up the filibuster in the Senate, and many other corrupt practices, all in the name of power. That said, there are members of the Republican party that I consider equally corrupt, but I don't consider them as "honorable brothers" either.

• parryj Provo, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 5:45 p.m.

I agree--Harry Reid did more for the LDS Church by deed and by example than Hatch, Chaffetz, or anyone else we've had since Frank Moss decades ago. He took positions that were about helping the poor and vulnerable, promoting true equality and fairness, and he was valiant in speaking truth to power. That was good for people to see as, for instance, Hatch and Chaffetz have politicized poverty and fundamental rights that all citizens should have. The criticisms of Reid by LDS members was hardly something only a few engaged in, as has been suggested in earlier comments. I was in the BYU Marriott Center when Sen. Reid spoke and was very embarrassed at how so many students conducted themselves on that occasion. I've heard so many ignorant and mean-spirited things said about him and feeling very sad and, yes, angry at how poorly uninformed, mis-informed, and/or dis-informed LDS members and Utah citizens have judged him. Thanks, Richard, for this editorial.

• Commenter88 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 3, 2017 4:52 p.m.

While agreeing that Reid's membership should never come into question because of his political beliefs, I find the argument somewhat disingenuous. A few church members may have acted inappropriately, and that's too bad, but the wide swath of Mormons only opposed him for his political beliefs.
    We shouldn't feel compelled to aggrandize or genuflect to a leader simply because he is LDS and powerful. If his policies are inherently antithetical to some basic civil liberties (even some religious ones) and western values, there is nothing wrong with opposing him or demonstrating our distaste for him. Especially when he echoes rhetoric that insults the local population as racist and not compassionate, just because they believe in administering compassion in what they believe to be a more rational way. When you wrongly insult a population, you should expect to hear something in response and not claim to be a victim.

Maybe Reid did many magnanimous things for the LDS church. There is no specific evidence offered, except Mr. Davis' reassurance. If it is true, he should be commended. But that still does not give him immunity from his own rhetoric.

• Democrat Provo, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 4:38 p.m.

I agree with Davis's assessment. There have also been fair comments on this board about Reid's own political style and his fairly ruthless contributions to the 2012 presidential campaign.

For the time and place of Reid's upbringing, I venture to say that Mormonism probably made all the difference in his life and is probably the driving force of why he made it so far. Reid is a very pugnacious man. There are pictures online of him cleaning a guy's clock in a college boxing match and I've read stories about his Searchlight childhood and FBI video showing Reid angrily lunge across a table toward man who was trying to bribe him as a Nevada gaming official. Reid grew up in a hardscrabble Nevada town, full of prostitutes and rough characters.

He told Peggy Stack he had "zero" religion before his introduction to Mormonism. I can't condone anyone's poor choices, let alone rough edges, but I don't think politics produces more bad than any other field. I'll let someone else cast the first stone and congratulate Senator Reid on a storied career.

• Democrat Provo, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 4:19 p.m.

Re: Traveller,

Reid arranged for President Monson to meet President Obama and Elder Oaks in 2009. I think that was probably the tip of the iceberg in terms of the number of things he did for the Public Affairs arm of the Church, but certainly not the least important.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Feb. 3, 2017 3:09 p.m.

In over half a century as an active Republican, nobody has ever explained to me what theology, or what religious affiliation (if any) a person must have in order to be a Republican.

Conversely, in almost that long as an LDS church member, I have never once presumed to tell anybody what political party one must (or must not) join in order to be an LDS member in good standing.

How Harry Reid goes about being LDS and a leading Democrat is for him to explain to others - not for others to try and second guess for him.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 1:20 p.m.

I don't now how representative I am, but personally, I don't fault Harry Reid for being a democrat--I have several democrat friends who faithfully adhere to correct principles. I do not question his membership or his personal worthiness. However, there is a responsibility inherent to a public servant position, because one is acting on behalf of the public, to fervently protect the rights of the weaker party in any transaction. Harry Reid failed to do that when he neglected the rights of the unborn in advocating for unfettered abortion. This is not to overlook the situation of women who find pregnancy a burden, but merely to say that avoiding the killing another human being who is unable to defend him or herself is a higher priority.

Senator Reid, once again, sided with adults over helpless children in supporting same-sex marriage. Nature decrees that to be born a child requires both a mother and a father. Yet adoption into a same-sex-marriage home cuts off that child, who has no voice in the matter, from one or the other.

When in politics, it's easy to make these mistakes: children can't vote....

• nobody? FR, 00
    Feb. 3, 2017 12:26 p.m.

We as Church members are not smart enough to "realize" how great Harry Reid was. It's good someone in academia can clue us in to our ignorance. Thanks.

• Traveller Farmington, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 8:23 a.m.

As Charles Krauthammer pointed out today, we do have at least one thing to thank Sen. Reid for: because he destroyed the filibuster as a tool for blocking presidential appointments, Neil Gorsuch will be confirmed as the next Supreme Court Justice.
    Yes Reid supposedly reserved the filibuster for Supreme Court nominations, but everyone knows that if the Democrats block one, there's nothing to stop the Republicans from doing just what Reid did and remove the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees as well by a simple majority vote. With his short-sighted attitude, Sen. Reid ensured that President Trump will be able to get all of his appointments through, and that there's nothing much the minority party can do about it. There's no reason to think things will be any different if one of the liberal justices departs within the next four years either, which would finally tip the balance of the court.

Thank you, Senator Reid!

• Hackstermom Layton, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 6:49 a.m.

And again an entire membership is judged on the poor actions of the few.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Feb. 3, 2017 12:00 a.m.

I have in the past, and will now again, thank Brother Reid for his service to his country and to his church. Ditto for Brother Hatch.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 11:46 p.m.

@RedShirt "Now if you want an interesting research project, read what LDS Prophets have said about Socialism, Communism, and other similar government lead collectivist ideals."

I have read these sources. But things just aren't working out as predicted or assumed. Capitalism is the Lord's economic system, and socialism is the Devil's, it all goes. Capitalism VS Socialism to the end, when the Lord would crush socialism. But some funny stuff has happened since the Cleon Skousen books. Soviet communism unexpectedly collapsed. Then China adopted a weird hybrid system of capitalism and communism both.

And then the middle east erupted, so that the main opponent of the west is ISIS! What?! Now we are going to join forces with the kindly Russians to defeat ISIS.

This all means the political assumptions we grew up with in Mormonism are out to lunch. We need to read some new material, and soon because we just don't know what we're doing.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 9:18 p.m.

"Although they may not realize it, LDS Church members will sorely miss Brother Reid" No, they won't. I'm a democrat and I've said many times that the state Democratic Party should not even run any candidates in Davis or Utah counties where it is heavily LDS. We don't win there. We haven't won there in decades and that isn't going to change. Those areas will always vote republican, especially now that Trump is their president. Mormons support Trump more than any other group, by far. I have several LDS friends. I don't know a single one that isn't a die hard Trump supporter.

• Thinkin\' Man Rexburg, ID
    Feb. 2, 2017 6:46 p.m.

Thanks for the article. It's the most amusing thing I've read all day!

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Feb. 2, 2017 5:00 p.m.

@Red Shirt.
    I appreciate your sentiments. But, parts of the LDS Scriptures also mirror LIBERAL principles (i.e all things in common in 4 Nephi, the Anti-Nephi Lehies refusal to fight, and King Benjamin's teachings to care for the poor, to say nothing of Thomas S. Monson's teachings).

What is it today's prophets have said? I believe it is something like, there is good to be found in many political parties.

My personal opinion is that whenever someone begins to use Mormon doctrine or LDS Scriptures to justify their political leanings, they are on shaky ground, no matter if their name is Senator Harry Reid or...Red Shirt.

Now, off the top of my head, there is one exception to this. LDS Scriptures do indicate that the core philosophy and principles of the United States Constitution are noble, and inspired of God. I think I will stick with this one, and eschew all other attempts to justify one's political views by carefully picking and choosing this scripture or that scripture, or this prophet's words or that prophet's words.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 3:56 p.m.

To "Vermonter" I hate to tell you this, but if you read the LDS scriptures and see the role of government as dictated by God, it mirrors CONSERVATIVISM. The scriptures are full of examples of small, limited government being God's way, and powerful centralized governments being the downfall of civilizations.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Feb. 2, 2017 12:06 p.m.

@Craig Clark.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you that political conservatism is not and never will be a tenet of the Mormon faith. Likewise, political liberalism is not and never will be a tenet of the Mormon faith.

And, if we are both to be logically consistent, we must also disagree with Senator Reid's philosophy that being a good Mormon and a Republican is impossible.

Senator Reid is an honorable man, who has done much good for his fellowman and as an active member of the LDS Church. I honor him for that. But, he is simply wrong when he says that good Mormons cannot be Republican. With such statements Senator Reid merely fans the flames of divisiveness, discord and disunity in America and in the Church.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Feb. 2, 2017 10:27 a.m.

" . . . . Republicans criticized Reid for being partisan. Indeed, he was partisan. But he was no more partisan than Hatch or Jason Chaffetz, who receive little criticism from LDS members for their partisanship. . . . "
    ______________________________
    When I was young, I knew enough to keep a judicious silence about my political views in Church. It was obvious that many Latter-day Saints regard political conservatism as a tenet of the faith, which it is not and never has been.

Harry Reid is an American statesman. His stature as such will be better appreciated as the divisive issues of his time fade into distant memory.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 9:13 a.m.

"The difference is these members agree with Hatch’s and Chaffetz’s partisanship. ... Is it possible for LDS Church members to reach the point where we can accept each other’s partisan and ideological views without questioning whether the other person really belongs in the church?"
    =======

Ya know Richard, you should ask that question of Reid himself. As you surely know, he doubted how any faithful LDS Church member could be a Republican. That probably played a part in his very public and vocal renunciation of Romney as someone who was **not** a good representative of the LDS Church.

Though I think the 13 LDS Articles of Faith, particularly the last three, should act as a good guide, far be it from me to know what party **any** member of the LDS Church should belong to.

I have never joined any political party because of the perverse priority that so many people seem to place of party over nation. Or, as seems to be the gist of your article, over faith.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 9:04 a.m.

I respectfully disagree with Dr. Davis.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Feb. 2, 2017 8:22 a.m.

Sorry Richard, but honestly, I won't.

• Lew Elton Jeppson Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 11:39 p.m.

@Traveller "I've often wondered how Sen. Reid squared his support of abortion without restriction with his membership in a church that views it as a serious sin in almost all circumstances. Likewise his support of LBGT rights. No doubt these and similar issues are the cause of much of the LDS criticism against him. "

Senator Reid understands something of the circumstances ordinary people face. Unlike most LDS he understands women seek abortions mostly because they face extreme circumstances often related to the guy who got them pregnant. Remember him? Many of you almost assume the woman brought about her pregnancy all by herself. Those of you who hate Reid lack compassion for women who face this terrible decision.

Moreover, unlike most LDS, Reid understand LGBT is not a matter of choice for the most part.

I respect Reid's compassion. He is a good man.

• Anita Sandy, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 4:24 p.m.

I grew up in Senator Reid's ward in Virginia and knew him and his wife as kind, unassuming ward members, faithful in attendance and callings. His sons attended seminary with me and they are good family men. I wish that politics wasn't so divisive and full of rancor as we seek to unite as church members seeking Zion.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Feb. 1, 2017 2:54 p.m.

One might be tempted to excuse Senator Reid for his Romney attacks by rationalizing that it was in the heat of political battle.

Likewise, we might attempt to excuse Senator Reid saying Republicans are not good Mormons, because some conservative Mormons attacked him the same manner.

Should these 2 things forever tarnish Reid's otherwise stellar career in public service?

We should not judge too harshly. But, young LDS attorneys and law students must judge if Reid is an example they can follow in their career development.

If Reid had shown some regrets over these things, I think most of us could easily forgive and forget. But, unless I missed it, Senator Reid has shown no regrets.

Sorry to say this, but I view Senator Reid as a Democratic equivalent of Donald Trump. When he is questioned about his flaws and inaccurate and offensive statements, he does not apologize, but usually doubles-down.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 2:43 p.m.

It was as I learned about Sen. Reid's personal commitment to church activity a decade ago that I came to more fully understand the fact that personal political views do not dictate one's personal commitment to the Gospel.

I do not understand how any active LDS can support laws permitting elective abortion on demand.

I'm sure there are very faithful members who do not understand how an active member can support the right to own and carry guns, and to oppose what I view as radical environmentalism.

We would all do well to avoid questioning or judging another's private devotion or worthiness before God based on his political or social views.

On the flip side, we also do well not to assume that every social or political position espoused by an active church member is the right course to take.

It would also be as wrong to support a man simply because he is a member of the church as it would be to oppose him simply because he isn't a member. Those who voted for Romney simply because of his church membership are no better than those who voted against him for no other reason.

We need friends. Those friends don't have to be LDS.

• Traveller Farmington, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 2:32 p.m.

@Frozen Fractals
    If you personally believe an action is wrong, particularly if you believe it will result in the death of a third person, then choosing not to stop someone else form doing it is also wrong.

If you are a political representative and your constituents believe strongly in something that you believe is seriously morally wrong, then I see two choices: 1) Convince them to change their minds before you make any votes to support it, or 2) If you can't convince them, resign as their representative and let someone who shares their belief on the issue make the vote instead.

Voting for what the people want when you personally know it is wrong is the "I was just following orders" excuse.

• Chris Herrod Provo, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 2:27 p.m.

Mitt Romney could have possibly have become the highest ranking Mormon had Reid not to continue to lie over and over and over again. The real question is, "When did honesty become irrelevant?"

As quoted in the Washington Post:

Yet Reid (D-Nev.) not only refuses to retract the allegation but also seems to take great pride in it. When pressed by CNN's Dana Bash last year about continuing to defend a statement that is not true, Reid responded, "Romney didn't win, did he?"

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 1:17 p.m.

@Traveller
    "I've often wondered how Sen. Reid squared his support of abortion without restriction with his membership in a church that views it as a serious sin in almost all circumstances."

He's personally pro-life, but didn't see fit to impose that view on everyone else.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    Feb. 1, 2017 12:43 p.m.

Dirty harry has a long history of scandal and rumors of payoffs with favor and influence trading throughout his senatorial career. He appears to be a top notch sleaze and a dirt bag, who we will miss him about as much as an embarrassing cheap suit or a kidney stone.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2017 12:41 p.m.

Marxist,

Perhaps your copy of the Constitution lacks Article I, Section 8 where Congress is authorized to tax us and write laws for defense (space), science (space), interstate commerce (air traffic control), roads and railroads (post roads).

It's all there in black and white. Eisenhower checked on the legality of creating our Interstate Freeways. They were needed to quickly move the military anywhere in the nation. The Constitution supports defense. Kennedy checked on the legality of spending money on the space program. Again, the "high ground" principle of defense justified having the "highest ground". Ask the families of soldiers killed taking the high ground what they paid.

Amendment 10 clearly requires marriage licenses, insurance, and most of the nonsense heaped upon the nation by Reid, and those who served with him in Congress, to be handled by the States or the people. It's all there in plain sight in the Constitution.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 11:46 a.m.

@Mike Richards " The concept of forcing us to buy insurance is not in the Constitution. The concept of forcing us to reveal our tax information to the public is not in the Constitution. The concept of lying about those with whom we disagree is not in the Constitution."

And exploring space is not in the Constitution, a weather reporting service is not in the Constitution, air traffic control is not in the Constitution, land grants for the first transcontinental railroad are not in the Constitution, the Geodetic Survey is not in the Constitution, etc, etc. But all of these have been at least de facto declared constitutional.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2017 11:38 a.m.

Kent,

Obviously your goal is not to defend Mr. Reid. I wouldn't either. His actions as Senate Majority Leader are not defendable.

• The Educator South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 9:35 a.m.

Senator Reid cared about people. Which is a heck of a lot more than what I could say about Hatch, Lee, or Chaffetz. They only seem to care if there's a camera around.

Get Educated

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 9:31 a.m.

Mike,

I don't recall you complaining about the lies Mitt Romney told when he was running for president. His honesty rating by the fact-checking services was consistently lower than President Obama's or, this go-around, Hillary Clinton's. Of course, Trump is in a league of his own. But as a very partisan Republican, you, like lots of other Mormons, simply overlook the factual errors and outright whoppers that come from Republican politicians at a consistently higher rate than Democrats. Why is this so?

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 9:26 a.m.

Right on, Richard.

Not only was Harry Reid a great friend of the church, he was a great friend of the poor and of the underdog, unlike many so-called Christians. He stood up for the agency of man, a crucial aspect of God's plan, whereas Utah Republicans show by their actions that they are enemies of agency.

It's very telling that Reid aligns himself with a man like Obama whereas Hatch, Chaffetz and other Republicans align themselves with a man like Trump.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Feb. 1, 2017 9:22 a.m.

Professor Davis,
    Nice opinion piece.

Though I do not agree with most of Senator Reid's political positions, I think he served honorably and is a good member of the Church and did much good for the Church as a public servant.

But, unfortunately, in my mind, Senator Reid will always carry 2 blemishes. The first is the manner in which deceptively attacked Mitt Romney, and even took pleasure in it.

The second blemish is that while you and Senator Reid decry the way that some church members attacked and improperly judged Senator Reid because of the his partisan politics, Reid is himself, is simply hypocritical in this area. In his interview with the Deseret News about a week ago, Reid stated, "I can't understand how anyone can be a good Mormon and be a Republican." I don't know. Perhaps Senator Reid was just joking. But, on its face, this is not an example that I could recommend to any member of the Church.

• Traveller Farmington, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 8:34 a.m.

Mr. Davis is very vague about what contributions, specifically, Sen. Reid made that an LDS member should be grateful for.

He says Sen. Reid helped when the Church needed it. When did he do that, exactly? Can we get dates and specific details of how he helped? It's not difficult to see why the Church membership doesn't know of these incidents if you can't name them either, Mr. Davis.

It is possible to be a Democrat and not support those specific planks of the Democratic platform, but to all appearances Reid gave them his full support.

• MlJ Simi Valley, CA
    Feb. 1, 2017 8:26 a.m.

I appreciate the effort in the article to normalize if not victimize Senator Reid. There is no question he gave his life to public service, was a leader among his peers and made a wonderful living because of it. I do not question his faith nor should anyone openly request for the revocation of his temple recommend or membership. Having said all that, he lied an inappropriately attacked people for the sake of partisan politics. He did not turn the other cheek. He was not humble about his positions. He did not lift up his fellow man. He was a part of dividing this nation. I don't care what letter you have next to your name, politics is ugly and I have seen other nonlds politicians behave with more character and dignity than the Senator. I wish him well in his retirement and hope he continues in his pursuit of faith and service as we all do. God will work it all out in the end for our good.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 8:05 a.m.

why the constant effort by the DN to rehad reid's image?

did he lie about romney's taxes? yes

did he later brag about it? yes

after the LDS 1st presidency sent a letter asking its member to write congress in support of the marriage amendment, did he also vote in favor of it? no

has he supported abortion and gay marriage and liberal judges who do not value and outright oppose religious liberty? yes

cannot say that I will miss him at all.

• Semi-Strong Louisville, KY
    Feb. 1, 2017 7:55 a.m.

President Gordon B. Hinckley had once been a Republican delegate at the state level. His counselor, James E. Faust had been a prominent Democrat. I only ever saw them demonstrate love to, respect for, and cooperation with each other.

A wonderful example for us all.

• Jim Cobabe Provo, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 6:05 a.m.

I would be more than pleased to help Brother Davis in his quest to make sure that Brother Reid is the last Democratic politician. Other DC Democrats also seem by their actions to be quite anxious to help bring this about.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 1, 2017 5:08 a.m.

One of the purposes of mortal life is to finally know ourselves as we are known by others. The sum total of our actions define how we approached every decision in life. Our actins show how we see our responsibilities. It reflects our agency. The duty of Congress is clearly spelled out in the Constitution. The concept of forcing us to buy insurance is not in the Constitution. The concept of forcing us to reveal our tax information to the public is not in the Constitution. The concept of lying about those with whom we disagree is not in the Constitution.

I do not agree with many of Mr. Reid's actions. It is not my job to judge him but I would never encourage anyone to emulate his actions.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 1, 2017 12:16 a.m.

"The power of the Senate majority leader's or minority leader's office was used on behalf of projects sought after by the LDS Church. Unfortunately, too little of that effort has filtered out to church membership."

True, and the same could be said for the Democrats the late Bill Orton and Wayne Owens.

There was never a more devoted member of the Church than my late mother, but she was always harassed for her Democratic Party participation. She tolerated it without rancor. The same cannot be said for me.