VidAngel has temporarily stopped streaming filtered movies. Here’s why

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Jan. 2, 2017 9:43 p.m.

Warner Bros., Disney and Fox need to get a clue and provide this service or allow others such as VidAngel to do so. Does anyone think Hollywood doesn't need more revenue?

Domestic video gaming took in $22 billion in 2014 while domestic movies took in $28 billion. The entertainment future isn't movies with games being more interactive, they need to evolve to increase entertainment market share and hence profits.

• UtahTroutStalker draper, UT
    Jan. 2, 2017 5:50 p.m.

You cannot take other people's intellectual property and alter it in order to make money for yourself unless you first get the permission from the owner.

Sorry folks that is the way it works.

Perhaps the LDS church, Evangelical Christians, Catholics, etc... could pool their resources together, pay some really great writers, and make content that were more family friendly (at least in their eyes).

• Janet Ontario, OR
    Jan. 2, 2017 5:49 p.m.

This is a subject close to my heart. I have a grandson in his teens who has been an avid movie buff since he was five. He understands a lot about acting, direction, special effects, and so on. His goal in life is to be involved with movies, probably in some area of production. He knows junk when he sees it, but he likes some of it. He also knows what is technically excellent. His parents allow him to watch what I would not. I have tried to discuss standards with him, and not just the "no rated-R" standard. I try to recommend movies that have great scripts, excellent acting, and good production values, but there's not much I can do otherwise. I have non-LDS grandchildren who watch anything they please and pretty much always have. Language? "We hear that all the time at school." Violence? "It's just a movie." Sex? "It's just one scene, Grandma!" One of my daughters was very strict about TV and movie content, but as her kids grew, they and their dad watched more raunchy or violent stuff. It's everywhere! Ever watch a censored R-rated movie? It's fill-in-the-bleep and annoyingly choppy. Better to skip it.

• mamiejane Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 2, 2017 11:04 a.m.

Why not either not let children watch these shows or watch the questionable content, where appropriate, and have a family discussion about the movie? We were not allowed to watch Hogan's Heros at my house because my father believed it trivialized Nazis and the Holocaust. No 3 Stooges either, because my father (who had been in military) did not like the violence with no consequences. I understood that choice and we talked about it as a family. Creating fake versions of content doesn't help people work through why Directors chose to include nudity, violence, bad language or sex (does it move the story forward, or is it just exploitation?). I understand the legal issues but I also think families are better served by working through these problems in a different way.

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    Dec. 31, 2016 10:18 a.m.

There are at least 40, maybe 50 original shows on Netflix, Amazon, Freeform and others that are extremely high quality writing, acting, production, costuming, special effects. Most are the equivalent of 12 or 16 or 20 hour feature films, long-form storytelling in a brand new format. And new ones keep being created, each arguably better than what went before.

If Vid-Angel can compete, good on them. Options and expanded creativity are a good thing. But the competition is stiff, from mainstream high-gloss productions like the Marvel expanded universe and the coming "A Series of Unfortunate Events" with to shows like "Sense8," high concept created by the Wachowski Sisters & J Michael Strazinski and filmed in 16 different cities the second season to the genre-bending "The OA" that came out of nowhere and and created world-wide buzz.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 31, 2016 8:18 a.m.

@RSHGUAM:
    "I'm not part of the LDS Church and legal or not, VidAngel provided a great service. "

"legal or not"? Would you say that about a pot dealer in your neighborhood selling to a glaucoma patient? So, you're going to teach your kids that it's OK to break the law, as long as it helps you be moral?
    I have young kids & I rely on my guidance as to what they watch. Not some illegal technology.

• mulrich Columbia, SC
    Dec. 30, 2016 8:41 p.m.

I don't think what VidAngel was doing (ripping DVDs and streaming) was legal but I really appreciated the ability to filter movies. I hope VidAngel and the movie studios will come to an agreement that will allow VidAngel to rent and filter movies in a legal way.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 30, 2016 5:45 p.m.

When I was growing up if there was a movie or tv show that was inappropriate, my parents parented and told me no.

VidAngel can split whatever hairs they want, but they were effectively streaming movies for a dollar without paying streaming license fees.

It is hard to buy "morality" as an excuse from a company that so blatantly acts in an immoral manner.

• RSHGUAM Amarillo, TX
    Dec. 30, 2016 5:19 p.m.

I'm not part of the LDS Church and legal or not, VidAngel provided a great service. As the father of two young children I don't want them watching films with questionable content and language. The service allowed them to see movies that they wanted to watch but were inappropriate for their age. Who actually talks with that much profanity in real life anyways. I hope they get this figured out quick so parents have more options for children's entertainment.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 30, 2016 12:55 p.m.

Bottom line; they got caught breaking the law. If they continued to ignore the court order, they'd be jailed. Regardless of their supporters, they were breaking the law. The LDS church is an astute business. IF there is such a demand for clean movies in Utah and for their 15 million members, why can't the church partner with VidAngel and others to produce movies that are supposedly in such high demand?