BYU students wear hijabs to show support for Muslim community

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Neanderthal Springville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 1:21 p.m.

@David Lloyd-Jones:
    "Fear of Sha'aria in the United States is entirely the work of delusionals, cranks, and self-serving fear mongers."

The fear of Shariah in the United States is the fear that, accepting this type of mid-east governance, will mean the end to Western Culture.

• Veeshard South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 24, 2016 6:57 a.m.

I don't think these "supporters" have gone far enough. They need to get out on the streets and bow down to Alllah! Now that's a show of support!

• David Lloyd-Jones Toronto, 00
    Dec. 20, 2016 10:28 a.m.

ArizonaMormon,

You have it right about Sha'aria.

In my childhood, Sha'aria was "the law of the land," i.e. part of the provincial legal code, in Ontario, Canada. As everwhere, it applied only to followers of Islam, and its main applicability was in marriage law, and only where people included it in their marriage contracts, and in commercial agreements where both parties agreed beforehand.

It was removed from the law for an odd reason. A small minority of self-declared "orthodox" Jews were using their own cruel misreading of Jewish law, on the books in parallel with Sha'aria, to mistreat their wives during divorces.

Small quick amendments made it possible for both communities to continue to use their customs by mutual agreement, but without "The State" appearing to back up cranks.

And of course, well done, BYU kids! Happy Channukah to all!

-dlj.

• Brien Littleton, CO
    Dec. 19, 2016 10:04 p.m.

This gesture is an insult to the women wearing this outfit, this is not in their aid.
    This scarf, and more eg hijab, burka etc, is forced upon the Islamic women by the men to ensure the man's low life attitude towards morality and the man's definition of proper behaviour.
    It is misogynist control, as has been normal throughout human history, and is indoctrinated into their religious dogma. The women are 'taught', by men, to believe that it is for their modesty and advances their holiness.
    It is a control mechanism, and these 'supportive' women are just kidding themselves and are simply augmenting this controlling behaviour.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    Dec. 18, 2016 3:53 p.m.

I have considered wearing a skull cap (topi, taquiya, knit cap, kufi, or whatever) to show solidarity with Muslim men. The only thing holding me back is the fear of rousing more heat than light. I especially might cause a stir if I wore it my LDS meetings, since I am in a branch presidency. Is there a prohibition in Church doctrine against wearing hats in church, or is it just a cultural custom of western Christianity?

Does anyone know if Jesus had His head covered when worshiping His Father?

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2016 10:26 a.m.

@Husker1
    "This isn't about ISIS."

It is in the comment I was responding to.

• Jarred Canada, 00
    Dec. 17, 2016 8:42 p.m.

I can appreciate wanting to support Muslims; but I question the validity by wearing a garment that is designed to prove women to be inferior and subserviant.

Islam isnt peaceful. The Shi'ites and Sunnis murder each other more than anyone else, and thats saying alot.

Islam denies that Christ is God and there is no middle ground with them.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Dec. 16, 2016 12:44 p.m.

@ hemlock. "One is for others to see. "

I believe it's more of "not to be seen."

• Husker1 Northern Utah County, UT
    Dec. 16, 2016 12:29 p.m.

@Frozen "What they would think is that organizations like ISIS should be the ones to blame, not all Muslims."

This isn't about ISIS. I have spent considerable time in countries that enforce Sharia Law. Women's rights are extremely limited and they are treated like third-class citizens. I find this symbolic show of support for Islam very puzzling, especially the fact that women are willing to show support for a religion that treats women very harshly as a whole.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2016 11:28 a.m.

ute alumni - SLC, UT
    Dec. 15, 2016 4:06 p.m.
    "Are the Muslim students going to wear sacred LDS clothing to show solidarity?"

One is for others to see. The latter is private and has significance only for the individual who is wearing them.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 16, 2016 9:22 a.m.

A beautiful statement by the students. Good on them.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Dec. 16, 2016 8:44 a.m.

Reference donning the hijab:

I checked a few reliable travel websites. Women visiting certain Islamic countries are asked to wear a headscarf irrespective of their religion or background.

Others wearing sacred LDS clothing (as some have suggested) would not be a show of solidarity (or respect).

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Dec. 16, 2016 6:31 a.m.

@Vermonter
    The eyes only garment is called a Niqab. A Hijab just covers the hair.

Honest question though, is it disrespectful for a non-muslim to wear the hijab? Some countries that require Burkas and niqabs require them of all women but I'm not sure about hijabs. My understanding is there's nothing special about it, it's the modesty provided by covering up but I'm unsure.

Somewhat unrelated, one of my co-workers just returned from his Hajj. It was wonderful to talk with him about it and share some of my experiences in the temple. I was very honored that he talked about such a deeply spiritual experience and that I was able to reciprocate.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2016 8:33 p.m.

@Vanceone
    "Prediction: Every single one of these students thinks that ISIS is being falsely blamed"

I don't think a single one of them think that. What they would think is that organizations like ISIS should be the ones to blame, not all Muslims.

• ArizonaMormon Mesa, AZ
    Dec. 15, 2016 8:09 p.m.

Cool gesture by these BYU students. I don't understand the negative reaction in some of these posts.

As a Latter-day Saint, I believe that one day Jesus Christ will return to the earth to reign temporally on the earth, thus replacing democracy with theocracy. That doesn't mean that I am in any way advocating for the imminent overthrow of the United States in the name of the Lord.

I believe that it is possible (and commonplace) for Muslims to have the same approach. One can be a devout, faithful Muslim and be pro-democracy, pro-constitution, pro-freedom, and pro-choice.

Hasn't anyone noticed that Shariah law bears a strong resemblance to the Mosaic law? But then why don't we see Latter-day Saints attacking Orthodox Jews the same way they attack Muslims?

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Dec. 15, 2016 5:19 p.m.

They probably are familiar with middle eastern customs.

I just wonder how well they understand Sharia law, and how much of it they support. If one of daughters were to do this, we would have to talk, at length.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Dec. 15, 2016 4:19 p.m.

Just curious. Did the men who are members of the BYU Muslim Association also don the hijab? Also, did any of the non-Muslim members of the Association don the eyes-only-showing black hijab to show solidarity the various sects of Islam?

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2016 3:39 p.m.

Prediction: Every single one of these students thinks that ISIS is being falsely blamed and that we need to import all their single military age men and let them loose through the country. And they all vote Democrat.

I understand wanting to find the good in Islam, and there is some there, no question. But it is far, far overshadowed by the whole "Kill the infidel" that is commanded by the Koran.

But I'm open here. Let's propose a "BYU students wear the hijab" week in exchange for letting the missionaries into Saudi Arabia.

A fine trade, in my opinion.