LDS Church gifts $1 million to Mormon studies at USU just as professor moves to BYU for a year

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Dec. 17, 2016 7:21 p.m.

BYUH is in the process of a major expansion...

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Dec. 17, 2016 7:17 p.m.

@Green Chille
    You probably already know that Pathway goes a long way to accomplishing the goals you have proposed and at a fraction of the cost.
    I have a question for you: Do the donated funds come from Church-owned business funds or from consecrated funds? MY guess is the $$$ comes from Church businesses.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Dec. 15, 2016 10:29 p.m.

@Christoph... Star Wars is also about the same themes, but it doesn't make it the one true movie or the truest movie ever made.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2016 9:48 p.m.

Moreman, Book of Mormon is about good vs. evil, and we all know that exists, what name you put on people, whether it be the Egyptians, Babylonians, Assyrians, doesn't really matter, good vs. evil is the point, and more specifically, it is a book about soft heart vs. bitter heart.

To Green Chille, the Pathways program online, I think with Byu-Idaho, will reach all the world with low cost of tuition, which is what the internet is doing generally, the Ivy League will be envious and need to follow this pattern, cheap price with quality education (students coming before faculty) , and it doesn't hurt to, in this pattern, believe in good vs. evil in how we learn and serve and think and live. Ivy League is going down without moral education, it is all law suit obsession now.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Dec. 15, 2016 8:54 a.m.

When the church is done studying, point me to definitive proof that the Lamanites or Nephites ever existed as a culture in the America's as described in the BoM. What could possibly be studied about Mormonism, that hasn't been already. I suppose the church could open up the vaults and records to outside researchers. Why not allow people to study where the church invests it's millions of "research" dollars.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 15, 2016 8:28 a.m.

@greenchile - I agree that more can be done to expand CES but I have 2 things to say about it. $1M will not go very far in achieving your 3 points. And the Church has the resources to fund both items.

I think an internationally located BYU is a fantastic idea, Africa might be a stretch but somewhere like Australia or New Zealand could work very well. Imagine staffing with professors from the current CES 'called' to serve there!

• Green Chille Albuquerque, NM
    Dec. 14, 2016 5:47 p.m.

I was critical of the Church giving millions to the UU, and I'm equally critical of the church giving a million to USU, although at least this time there is a small connection to Mormonism, and perhaps a small benefit to the Church. However, the Church needs to be building it's own education system, and making it better.

Here are some simple, basic ideas that the church could use to better spend that $1M:
    1- Help turn LDS Business College (which has outlived it's usefulness) into an international prep school for students going to BYU and BYU-I.
    2 - Put up scholarships for non-LDS students going to BYU and BYU-I (much more effective missionary work than banging on doors).
    3 - Build a BYU-Africa. Clears up past, and helps the rapidly growing missionary work there.