Generous gift by Carolyn and Kem C. Gardner will make new U. classroom building possible

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Oct. 28, 2016 11:55 a.m.

Wow, what a great and generous couple.

• Lou Solverson Portland, OR
    Oct. 28, 2016 11:48 a.m.

OSH was outdated 30 years ago when I walked its halls (yep, I'm old). Just another great addition to a University that represents its state in an incredible way. Thank you to the Gardner's.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Oct. 28, 2016 11:44 a.m.

@smitty1400.
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the Gardners. I'm not trying to dig up dirt, and I know nobody is perfect. But I wonder what other past business associates think of the Gardners. There has to be positive and negative. Given the write-up on their philanthropy, hopefull more positive than negative.

• CMO Beaver Beaver, UT
    Oct. 28, 2016 8:14 a.m.

Gardner is a good man

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 28, 2016 7:43 a.m.

Something is very wrong here!

A new building at the "U" without the Eccles name on it?

Perhaps the Gardner-Eccles building would be more apropos. LOL

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Oct. 28, 2016 7:43 a.m.

Ok. Did my own research. Education, law degree. Experience, developer.
    Personality, facilitator.
    Connections, knows everybody who is anybody in Utah.
    A modern American success story. Outside of morality, Gardner's success story is remarkably similar to Donald J. Trump's story.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Oct. 28, 2016 5:49 a.m.

Curious. How did Kem Gardner use his "education, experience, personality and connections" to become wealthy? How did he make his money? From the article, it appears that his wife was a school teacher. Given the state of school funding in Utah, i assume they did not acquire their vast wealth through her career. Sorry I'm an outsider.

• German engineering Salem, UT
    Oct. 27, 2016 11:15 p.m.

Thanks for restoring my faith in America during this noxious political season. It is amazing to see wealthy people like this who are good people, good grandparents/parents, generous, humble, and kind. Aside from the Gardners, there are several other such families involved in the U, such as the Huntsmans, Sorensons, Eccles, Marriotts, and so on.

Such a refreshing contrast from he-who-must-not-be named.

• BYU Sports Nut Heber City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2016 11:07 p.m.

Great gift from the Gardners. Super good people.

• JKR Holladay, UT
    Oct. 27, 2016 9:35 p.m.

Thanks very much to the Gardners. One of the strengths of this university is so much philanthropy --good people willing to help the institution in so many ways.

• MTerry SANDY, UT
    Oct. 27, 2016 9:00 p.m.

So is Orson Spencer Hall going to be demolished, or refurbished for other uses? I have fond memories of OSH Hall as a U student in the early '60's.