How faith and morality once played a central role in Hollywood

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Oct. 17, 2016 1:58 p.m.

This article is absolutely correct. modern entertainment industry has an open and stated agenda of promoting substance abuse and wanton sexuality. Part of this agenda includes an attempt to destroy traditional marriage and family.

Modern Hollywood portrays marriage as a burdensome institution to be scorned and ridiculed. Indeed, Hollywood treats marriage as something to be avoided at all costs.

Unfortunately, an impressionable public has begun to imitate what is shown on television and movies. As a result, the rates of illegitimacy and disease are skyrocketing.

The irrefutable fact is that wanton, uncontrolled sexuality does have harmful effects for both the individual and society. Shame on those who seek to impose this harm.

• Laura Ann Layton, UT
    Oct. 17, 2016 1:04 p.m.

I wish we had the same system in place. I miss movie that were powerful, but not vile, and immoral. The code stated that for every misdeed, there would be a consequence. I really miss this as it usually true. Thank goodness for Turner Classic Movies. I long for the days when movies made me feel better than worse after I've seen them. I just don't understand why anyone would rather see a most recent movies, than ones like 'Bring Up Baby,' 'The Maltese Falcon,' Bette Davis movies, Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, and so many others.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Oct. 17, 2016 10:32 a.m.

I disagree with the idea that Hollywood is not governed by morals and faith. The proper question to ask is which diety are they promoting faith in and which set of morals do they pronounce?

If Baal were worshiped today, I'm pretty sure current Hollywood movies would be seen as fully following in his footsteps for instance.
    Baal, Ashtoreth, Demeter, Narcissus: all fully worshiped, celebrated, and promoted by today's leftists and hollywood moguls. Along with Islam, of course. The humble carpenter from Nazareth is, of course, all of those deities mortal enemy.

• Hope & Faith give us strength Utah County, UT
    Oct. 17, 2016 5:41 a.m.

From the article,

"It wasn't until 1952 that the Supreme Court changed its mind"

Why am I not surprised? Of course it was the court. And kudos to Billy Hallowell for phrasing it exactly as it is. Being a body of men, all their rulings are subject to human mistakes. And there be many. The will of the people is dying. Men's hearts are failing them. And we can't fix that problem on our own. We require a Redeemer.

Does that mean everyone has to suddenly go to church? No. But if we cannot live by even a minimal code of conduct, then we are signing up for our own consequences, voluntarily, knowing which flock we want to follow. I for one want nothing to do with those who promote moral relativism and anarchy. I believe we need rules in order to exist peacefully and in order to protect the rights of everyone. But hey, Hollywood taught for years that there was nothing wrong with every behavior they themselves practiced. So we should listen to them and make our laws after what they say and be outraged at anyone who disagrees. Right?

Without Hollywood's flawless record of political and moral counsel, what would we ever do?

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Oct. 12, 2016 2:15 p.m.

@samhill - There is little control over what we have available to watch, read, or even to do and travel. Which is a wonderful thing. I think the real concern is that, even though we are a country blessed with agency in much of what we do, we choose to use that agency poorly. Hollywood feeds that and uses its agency to create 'authentic' movies and tv shows, but that authenticity isn't typically of society. Society is then bombarded with what it's told are 'authentic and realistic' images. As a consumer of that material I'm then tricked into thinking that that's how everyone else acts and I use my own agency to act out and to continue to consume that and worsening material. This is a shame to me, that a first world, educated, society chooses to eschew moral values in the professed name of being more advanced and able. All we're doing is tricking ourselves into making mistakes. We should be smarter than that.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2016 10:35 a.m.

"In New York State, for instance, the censorship board reviewed every film outside of the education, science and current events realms, screening to see if it was 'obscene, indecent, immoral, inhuman, sacrilegious or of such character that its exhibition would tend to corrupt morals or to incite crime.'"
    ==========

It is interesting to note how similar these kinds of prohibitive censorship rules mimic the current ones in totalitarian countries like N. Korea, China, Russia, etc.

I'm not sure if the increasing flood of filth from Hollywood and "entertainment" in general is a sign we're actually above the kind of oppressive stranglehold on free expression that is still the norm in countries that are generally opposed to individual freedom. I can say pretty definitively, based on now decades of personal observation, that our moral fiber as a country has been eroded as more and more people, particularly younger people, are persuaded that viewing graphic and gratuitous sex and violence in movies, TV, video games, etc., is inconsequential.

The fact is that the negative effects of that exposure and attitude are pervasive, insidious and severe.