Exclusive: Evan McMullin: I'm running for president to give voters someone they can support proudly

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 8, 2016 12:20 p.m.

why vote for someone who can never win? I couldn't care less about sentimental feelings -- I do care about the future of the Supreme Court because that will effect my kids and grandkids for generations.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 8, 2016 11:57 a.m.

I support Trump very proudly! I don't even know you Evan nor do most who claim they are for you. They only vote for you because you are LDS....but Harry Reid is LDS too??

• Facts are friendly Sandy, UT
    Nov. 8, 2016 10:39 a.m.

The NY Times poll shows 91% of Americans wouldn't choose either candidate. I think that poll is pretty accurate.

So, in my humble opinion, for those of you who seem so "proud" of either Clinton or Trump probably need to open your eyes to just how deeply flawed both people are. You're also probably "company" people, meaning affiliated Democrats or Republicans who just vote along party lines. How you can be proud of either Hillary or Trump is confusing to the other 91% of us who can't vote for either one.

Hillary will win today and Bill will get his plane and in-house movie theater back. The rest of us will go on with a general malaise over our deteriorating moral fabric as a nation and people. An in line with all the protests everybody seems to be making these days, I decided to carry out my own line of protest.

I wrote in "Jesus" as my presidential preference. Silly? maybe. Irresponsible? probably. Proud? Yes...absolutely proud of my vote,

• Ranch Here, UT
    Nov. 8, 2016 7:01 a.m.

I proudly support Hillary Clinton, Evan. You weren't even necessary.

• Clinton King (Ephraim) Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 7, 2016 10:44 p.m.

Great to see this op-ed! I already voted for McMullin!

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2016 8:13 p.m.

Hopefully, the election goes to the 435 people in the House, and they vote you in, and Mr. President - elect, you will do a marvellous job! And thanks for running on short notice, you will be a hero for decades to come.

• thehandthatrocksthecradle Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 2, 2016 5:36 p.m.

Newsflash, half the country Is voting for someone, they are proud of.
    Even better, we know who Trump is.

• Aurelius maximus Berryville, VA
    Oct. 15, 2016 10:17 a.m.

You want someone that can fight terrorism? How about a guy that has ACTUALLY lived in and fought in terrorist zones around the world!

"On September 11th, 2001 Evan was in training at CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia. He completed his training and repeatedly volunteered for overseas service in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia, spearheading counterterrorism and intelligence operations in some of the most dangerous places on earth."

If you agree LIKE and SHARE!

Google Bloombergs interview with him for more info.

• OregonGirl Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 13, 2016 10:31 p.m.

I didn't immediately jump on board the McMullin campaign, I read, and watched, and read and watched speeches and articles by Trump, Clinton, and Johnson. Then I looked up Evan, watched the few interviews out there, even watched his TED talk. I didn't want to like him or get behind his campaign, honestly I didn't. But I couldn't help it. Just take a little time and look, really look at his campaign, his hope for this country. Then see how you feel. I guarantee you will learn something.

• Go Cougs! Morgan, UT
    Sept. 11, 2016 9:41 p.m.

Every citizen should vote whether they belong to a party or not; whether they belong to a swing state or not; whether they agree 100% with their best candidate or not. Voting is a responsibility; it is our way to message what kind of candidates we want to enter the political arena to represent us.

I don't want candidates like Clinton or Trump. Johnson seems honorable but he and his party don't much my ideals and values enough. Absent another option, he would probably get my vote.

Evan McMullin has my vote because he is honest; honorable; patriotic; knowledgeable; experienced in the frontlines of foreign affairs, capitalism, and legislation; and I support his values of returning power to congress and the people who elect them, of pro-life, and of plurality.

• UtahBlueDevil Lehi Ut & Durham, NC
    Sept. 10, 2016 9:04 a.m.

GaryO.... not sure I would disagree with Ms. Clinton's analysis of who Trump's supporters are..... but regardless it was not wise to say. This could be her Romney moment where she said something she believes, lots of people believe, but still should not be publicly said. It gives people just one more reason to vote against you.

Lowering herself to Trumps level isn't the way to win anyone over other than the people she is mocking. Not a good move, nor a Presidential move.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Sept. 10, 2016 8:26 a.m.

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it." - Hillary Clinton

Yep

And the people who vote for McMullin are not deplorable enough to be put in that basket of deplorables.

But they aren't sensible enough to be put in the basket of sensible people.

We Hillary Clintons supporters occupy that spot.

• LDS Guy USA, UT
    Sept. 9, 2016 10:24 p.m.

Thanks for running Evan! You seem like an amazing guy! I'm planning on voting for you!!

• Joshua Fusselman Boise, ID
    Sept. 9, 2016 1:16 p.m.

Vote your conscience.

• whatsup1 Kekaha, HI
    Sept. 9, 2016 12:19 p.m.

I like "moderate thiking's" comments, at last a candidate I can vote for without feeling I'm selling my county out.

• bradz03 Orem, UT
    Sept. 9, 2016 11:45 a.m.

@Fuzz - I used to be a Republican, but I declared my independence 50 days ago when Trump accepted the GOP nomination and it became clear that the GOP no longer represented my values.

So does that mean me not voting for Trump is a vote for Clinton? Or by not voting for Clinton, am I really voting for Trump? Or just maybe my non-votes for both will cancel out the corresponding "votes" for the other and my vote will actually just count for McMullin.

Whew...feel like I dodged a bullet there...

• UtahBlueDevil Lehi Ut & Durham, NC
    Sept. 9, 2016 10:46 a.m.

"So is the idea that McMullin will come in third and then the House of Representatives will save the day by choosing him over Clinton and Trump? "

No, the idea is regardless of will eventually win, I will vote not for someone who is offensive, has no morals, and doesn't represent the values I hold. You are supposed to vote your conscience, not vote for a winning team. Remember, had in 1776 the proposal to separate from England been put to a vote, it would have failed. Only 1/3rd of "Americans" supported the revolution in the beginning.

You're not supposed to be playing Fantasy Politics and picking winners and losers, but voting for people who represent your beliefs and values. if Trump or Clinton represents you... great... vote for them. But if they don't, don't endorse someone who will act against what you believe in.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 9, 2016 10:09 a.m.

This guy isn't running a campaign for president. He'll take your money and challenge Chaffetz down the road, but that's it.

• Moderate Thinking Logan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2016 8:58 a.m.

Fuzz, I'm sorry, but that is blatently and patently false.

Utah isn't a swing state. Utah has statistically less than a 0.1% chance (aka zero chance) of being the state which swings the election.

It doesn't matter how Utah votes. We won't decide who becomes the president. Even if Clinton were to somehow win in Utah because would-be Trump voters went for McMullin or Johnson or Castle, she would already have won because of winning big swing states.

This gives Utah the unique opportunity to vote its conscience. It's our right and privilege as Americans.

And my conscience says that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are unacceptable candidates. One of the two is likely to become our next president. How I vote won't make that determination. But how I vote does reflect who I am.

• Owen Heber City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2016 8:56 a.m.

@ Sasha -- My brother, as one who used to run alongside you, I respect your memories of Russia. But your comments sound almost exactly like those coming from our own strong-man Russia-loving oligarch now running for president.

• Fuzz Springville, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 11:13 p.m.

If you are a Republican and you vote for anyone other than Trump, you are voting for Clinton.
    If you are a Democrat and you vote for anyone other than Clinton, you are voting for Trump.
    There are only 2 candidates in this race whether you think so or not.
    Vote accordingly.

• KRB Katy, TX
    Sept. 8, 2016 5:31 p.m.

I am glad Deseret News is offering these OpEds. I am seriously disappointed that they have not published one from Darrel Castle of the Constitution Party. He is a real contender and his platform is THE CONSTITUTION!! We need to read reread and defend the Constitution.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 5:19 p.m.

"... denying Clinton and Trump a victory. If neither win a majority of votes in the Electoral College, the U.S. House of Representatives will choose our next president from the top three finishers."

So is this the Utah plan?

• liberate Sandy, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 4:00 p.m.

He has my vote. I can't in good conscience vote for either Clinton or Trump (especially). Gary Johnson is a worthy consideration but despite my libertarian leanings I for some reason cannot get excited about him (maybe it's his dis of Mormons or more recently his ignorance). Evan Mc is not a perfect candidate but at least my conscience will be clean.

And before somebody accuses me of throwing the election to Clinton by not voting for Trump, I am perfectly fine with that. I have said this before and I will say it again. I am taking the long view. In 2020 I would much rather have the chance to introduce a strong candidate to challenge Clinton rather than have a surefire disastrous incumbent Trump running against what will surely be a quality Democratic candidate.

But none of this matters anyway. Just looking at the electoral math, Clinton is going to win, and quite easily despite what the polls say.

• joanzone42 Orem, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2016 3:43 p.m.

It is such a relief to FINALLY have a candidate for whom I have respect and one who has the demeanor and has been incredibly trained, educated and experienced in every way that would inform him as President of the United States. If he could be on the debate stage (even if only as a "2nd tier" candidate), the American people would quickly be able to discern he is head and shoulders above all the others.

• bradz03 Orem, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 2:18 p.m.

Well I'm disappointed he doesn't use the Oxford comma, but that appears to be his biggest flaw. That and his baldness. Seriously though, I am proud to be able to vote for Evan McMullin. Any of the other options would leave me feeling disgusted with myself and lacking a logical explanation to give my children when I am eventually asked why I voted to destroy their future. Thank you for giving me a voice in this election.

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 2:08 p.m.

Evan McMullin is a conservative, which means we would get the same failed economic policies that have been creating a huge class divide for the past 35 years. When will the conservatives finally realize that supply-side economics is exactly what George H. W. Bush declared it to be: voodoo economics. Only the arithmetically challenged can in good conscience vote for a Republican or a pseudo-Republican like McMullin.

But his campaign is a major joke. His late entry into the race is a valiant effort at windmill tilting, but he's aiming at the wrong target. Why anyone would waste a good vote on Evan is a good question. May as well just leave that box blank. Protest votes may make you feel good, but if they help put Donald Trump in the White House, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

• BelieveInAmerica St George, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 1:43 p.m.

McMullin is right. His entry into the race has indeed give me someone I can proudly vote for...

Donald Trump.

• Jayson Meline Chubbuck, ID
    Sept. 8, 2016 1:30 p.m.

Sasha Pachev is spot on regarding the need to narrow the productivity gap as the best means to properly redistribute wealth.

"Instead of redistributing the income we should do something to get the top 1% to teach the less fortunate how to be competitive."

We don't need the top 1% to teach anything to the rest of us. What we need to do is invigorate and provide incentive for an entrepreneurial and innovative culture on a micro level.

Our tax code is written by the top 1%. State and local governments now acquiesce to the 1% in the name of job creation by providing tax exemptions and rebates that local small business or a micro-entrepreneur never would have a chance to receive. Our state and local governments pick and choose the winners of their local economies rather than have sound and prudent fiscal policy that applies to everyone equitably.

The former USSR and now Russian Federation has gone from communism to a hybrid of communism-oligarchy. The US is actually on a similar path.

Both Democrats and Republicans have created the class envy or "crab syndrome" along with crony capitalism that leads to oligarchy and socialism.

• Jayson Meline Chubbuck, ID
    Sept. 8, 2016 12:46 p.m.

I will be casting my vote for McMullin. I have no real expectation of his success, but will vote for him strictly on principle.

One compelling point he makes is that the two major political parties create the false argument of the "lesser of two evils." We have also been "duped" into the notion that our only option are the two major parties.

jbejar makes a valid point: Clinton and Trump are part of the baby boomer generation that has produced the absolute worst leaders in the history of our nation. There is no redemptive value to be found from the baby boomer generation as evidenced by measurable outcomes of the debt and fiscal deficit left to my generation and my children's to clean up.

I call baby boomers the enabler generation of political correctness as well as entitlement. They have provided zero leadership.

McMullin seeks to resurrect some values and approach of the WWII generation or my grandparents generation that brought us great leaders unlike we have seen from baby boomers. Trump and Clinton are a reflection of the baby boomer generation that has clearly failed the nation.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Sept. 8, 2016 12:37 p.m.

Apparently, Donald Trump claims to have the super-hero power of being able to read the body language of CIA agents.

Evan McMullin should be very VERY afraid...

• SC Matt Chapin, SC
    Sept. 8, 2016 12:31 p.m.

@Marxist:

"massive wealth concentration going on. Where is this taking us?"

Like I said, if this is your concern, then something must change with the way we do welfare.

When people will ask for fewer hours after a rise in the minimum wage, as they did in Seattle, so that they don't lose benefits, don't you think that contributes to income inequality?

Because if this is the behavior of more than a handful of people, then the lowest tiers won't gain income, no matter what we do.

The loss of benefits as income rises also applies to marriage. Poor people can lose over $5k/year in benefits just by getting married.

• R Charles Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 12:26 p.m.

This is awesome. What he said about the Founding Fathers is true. They did risk their lives for freedom. Now many politicians will only risk things to get re-elected. His strategy to take the decision to the House of Representatives is valid. Those who mock his campaign because he entered so late and is only on so many states' ballots and he doesn't have a running mate yet don't understand the 12th Amendment. He doesn't need to be in every state to win electoral college votes, and he probably wouldn't be able to take his VP with him if he won anyway.

Let's vote for someone good we can trust, not for the lesser of two evils. It's possible, guys. Utah needs to step it up.

• Sasha Pachev Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 12:23 p.m.

Today my wife showed me pictures of Moscow and asked me if I missed it maybe just a little bit. I replied that even though it has been over 20 years since I left my memory was not that short. I said - this is almost like showing somebody who spent 20 years in prison the pictures of confinement and asking him if he missed it. Compared to the economic and political freedoms of the United States, life in the Soviet Union was a prison camp. What made it so? Precisely the mindset of overzealous equality and social justice which produced a toxic mindset of constant envy, a paranoid belief that the very source of your misery was the success of somebody else, and if only you could make him fail, your worries would be somehow magically gone.

The problem with the lower income bracket in the US is not that the top 1% has taken all of the money. Rather it is that they do not know how to compete in the free market. Instead of redistributing the income we should do something to get the top 1% to teach the less fortunate how to be competitive. We should also put more effort in making our market truly free which will properly reward the real achievers.

• jbejar West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 11:57 a.m.

Evan's MBA from Wharton gives him a sound economic background to work with. Evan McMullin clearly has not had his platform front and center, but from what I have seen on different sources is much more economically sound then Bernie Sanders pipe dreams backed my economists who overestimate the effects of gov't spending (Mr Friedman). He believes that much needs to be done to help the poor and supports flexible programs on the state level to help with their needs. I also agree with his concern for the national debt that he has expressed we need to do something about. As a millennial, we need leaders who are concerned with the future generations like Evan who have viable sustainable sound economic policies.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Sept. 8, 2016 11:28 a.m.

Evan McMullin may be sincere, knowledgeable, and experienced but he doesn’t sound much different than the politicians he is criticizing. To connect with the people, he must give them a compelling reason to vote for him. If the best he’s got is to tell us what we already know about the deficiencies of the two party status quo, then he still has a long way to go. He might start by running for the state legislature or something more modest.

• MaxPower Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 11:25 a.m.

If Deseret News thinks this guy is seriously a contender, why haven't they asked and or published one from Jill Stein?

• Traveller Farmington, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 11:14 a.m.

Where the USSR succeeded it succeeded in spite of socialism, not because of it. The Soviets were much more socialist immediately after the revolution, but backed off on many of those positions in the face of the reality that socialism doesn't work. Collectivization of the farms, for instance, was a disaster.

Socialism was the Soviet Union's ultimate downfall. In a system where economic success went unrewarded or even was punished there was simply no incentive to succeed or innovate.

And if you want to speak about wealth concentration, look at what the heads of the Soviet government had when compared to the average Soviet citizen. And their path to those perks was strictly political - they didn't produce anything useful in order to gain those benefits.

The fact that many Russians want the old ways back simply proves that some of their voters are as clueless as some of ours are.

• Florida2Moscow Clermont, FL
    Sept. 8, 2016 10:51 a.m.

I see here blatant disregard for the great good that Evan McMullin stands for. Why can't we as a people accept a good thing and fight for what's right? We have become so accustomed to corruption, gainsaying, moral compromises and cynicism, that we either scoff at someone like McMullin or remain silent. A little bit of T. S. Eliot makes me think about this situation.
    "All our knowledge brings us nearer to our ignorance,
    All our ignorance brings us nearer to death,
    But nearness to death no nearer to GOD.
    Where is the Life we have lost in living?
    Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
    Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"
    The cycles of Heaven in twenty centuries
    Bring us farther from GOD and nearer to the Dust."

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 10:36 a.m.

@SC Matt "If Marxism was so wonderful, the USSR would have been wildly successful.

But when actually implemented, all they did was freeze the status quo, and inhibit development."

I didn't write my comments to defend the USSR or any other system, but as an aside the USSR was in fact "wildly successful." It took a feudal country to super power status in the space of 20 years. I don't deny Russian socialism couldn't give rank-and-file Russians the consumer goods they wanted. But, also as an aside, polling in Russia says 1/2 the population would like the old setup back.

As to McMullin, he has nothing to say about the transformation happening to capitalism - the massive wealth concentration going on. Where is this taking us? That's what I want to hear from the candidates. I'm not hearing much. Only some "third" party candidates have anything useful to say. That's why I'm supporting SP-USA candidate Soltysik for president.

• Owen Heber City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 10:29 a.m.

" ... time as the House Republicans’ chief policy director ..." The only institution with lower approval ratings than either candidate.

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 10:12 a.m.

McMullin has got my vote. His assessments of both Clinton and Trump are spot on. Johnson is highly preferable to either Clinton or Trump, but does come with the baggage mentioned in the article, thus McMullin is preferable. Although he has my vote, I think if he were to write another op-ed piece and spell out more of his positions and give some specifics, it may engender more confidence in the undecided electorate.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 9:35 a.m.

Don Quixote lives in Evan McMullin with one exception...Don Quixote sings "The Impossible Dream", Evan is living "The Impossible Dream".

• bryant77 Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 8:58 a.m.

McMullin knows policy, especially foreign policy. He has integrity and is nuanced and inclusive--rather than dogmatic and divisive--in his approach to real issues facing America. His solutions are informed and practical. I trust him. The only problem is his late and somewhat haphazard entrance into this race. Still, he has my vote.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 8, 2016 8:43 a.m.

So is the idea that McMullin will come in third and then the House of Representatives will save the day by choosing him over Clinton and Trump? And he really expects to be able to govern with virtually no popular support? There is a reason nobody else was willing to go along with this plan.

Hopefully, this election will be enough of a jolt so that more people will participate in primary elections and put up party candidates that can talk policy instead of trading insults. If we had Jeb Bush vs Bernie Sanders we would be having a much more interesting campaign right now. If we allow Congress to save us from ourselves we only invite corruption and more apathy.

The people must decide this election - not Congress.

• SC Matt Chapin, SC
    Sept. 8, 2016 8:25 a.m.

"We need a candidate who knows some economics (like Sanders)."

If Marxism was so wonderful, the USSR would have been wildly successful.

In the end, the "average person" in the USSR had a lower standard of living than somebody in the US at the 10th percentile of income.

And that's all that can ever happen with socialism, or Marxism. Once the incentive to innovate is gone, progress stops.

"income share of the top 5% has risen from 22% to 37% the last forty years, and the share of the top 1% has risen from 8% to 22% over the same period."

One of the biggest barriers to the poor doing better is that we give welfare sub-optimally. We take it away as income rises WAY too quickly. As a result, people who get benefits are "stuck" where they are. People who don't get welfare face no such barrier.

Remove the barrier for the poor to advance and they will.

When Seattle passed the $15/hr minimum wage, people started requesting fewer hours so they don't lose benefits.

It gave them more free time, but doesn't improve income equality.

• David Centerville, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 8:15 a.m.

Finally someone that is inspiring, that is grounded, that has high character, that has vision, that can truly lead.

McMullin has my vote.

Who could possibly vote for Trump or Hillary?

I was going to vote for Johnson, but his support of illegal drugs is concerning, as are other social and foreign positions.

McMullin is much more aligned with my positions.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 7:46 a.m.

Evan McMullin has proven he's inept in running a campaign. He's only on the ballot in 9 states. In 8 of those States, they won't let him change his VP pick, due to legal statutes. Yes, we need change in Washington. No, Evan McMullin doesn't come close to the change we need.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 7:32 a.m.

The big problem with McMullin is his ignoring of economic matters. His view of the world appears to be entirely political, whereas we live in a politico economic system. From economists Piketty and Saez we have that the income share of the top 5% has risen from 22% to 37% the last forty years, and the share of the top 1% has risen from 8% to 22% over the same period.

These are astounding changes. I wonder what McMullin thinks of this. Will we ever know?

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2016 7:11 a.m.

The big problem with McMullin is his ignoring, indeed his ignorance, of economic matters. His view of the world is entirely political, whereas we live in a politico economic system. From economists Piketty and Saez we have that the income share of the top 5% has risen from 22% to 37% the last forty years, and the share of the top 1% has risen from 8% to 22% over the same period.

These are astounding changes. I wonder what McMullin thinks of this. But I suspect he doesn't think about it at all.

We need a candidate who knows some economics (like Sanders).