Exclusive: Donald Trump: Utah can help make America great again

• Edmunds Tucker St George, UT
    Oct. 15, 2017 9:56 p.m.

Also consider his books Trump Art of the Deal, Trump Think like a Billionaire Everything You Need to Know About Success, Real Estate, and Life, Great Again, Time to Get Tough making America #1 Again, Trump How to Get Rich, Trump the AMeirca we deserve, Trump 101, Trump the ARt of the Comeback, Trump Never Give up How I Turned My Biggest Challenges into Success, Trump Surviving at the top, Trump Think Big and Kick , Trump the Midas Touch Why Some Entrepreneurs Get Rich — And Why Most Don't, Tump Like a Champion An Informal Education in Business and Life, Trump 101, Trump Why WE want you to be Rich Two Men, One Message, Trump the Way to the Top The Best Business Advice I Ever Received, Trump the Best Golf I Ever Received. Trump Tower, Crippled America: How to Make America Great Again

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 8, 2016 12:18 p.m.

It's been a long year - a long journey for Donald Trump. He started as a seasoned successfull businessman but a rookie polititian with some rather raw communication mannerisms but I watched him grow and change each month and each debate from early spring to now and in my opinion the man is an awesome leader who represents everything I want in my president. Trump is a tough New Yorker and like Rudy Guliani who did a masterful job as mayor of New York after 911 with his toughness and compassion Trump also has the same toughness and a very real caring about him that people simply gravitate to. The man is not polished but he is genuine and that is why he stood so far above the rest of the field in the GOP. People believe him and they believe in him. Trump is not PC -- in fact he is anti-PC and again that is what is so refreshing about him. He is real! I truly believe Trump could turn this country around from the free fall it is in. I don't see another man (or woman) -- other than possibly Mike Pence -- who could tackle such a daunting task. America will not be saved if Hillary is elected.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 8, 2016 12:05 p.m.

It's election day, Donald. And they took away your twitter, because you're not capable of controlling yourself enough to not spew your vindictive rage.
    You do not deserve the codes. You do not have the temperament.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2016 10:10 p.m.

@ heavyhitter

"What's not to like about his positions laid out here?"

It's decisive, ignorant, hateful, unrealistic, and most of it is simply untrue.

• heavyhitter Lehi, UT
    Aug. 17, 2016 10:01 p.m.

I like the plain-speaking Trump. What's not to like about his positions laid out here? Well done.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Aug. 17, 2016 12:05 a.m.

"Indeed, of the 4.8 million registered Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries, only 10% of them are in camps.

According to the UNHCR, "out of the approximately 2.1 million Syrians refugees registered with UNHCR in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon, approximately 24,000 or 1.2% are Christians and 0.1% are other minority religious groups including Yezidis." source: the whig (Kingston Ontario news)

RRB
    "just 62 of the 2,550 Syrian refugees that have been resettled in the U.S. since the Syrian civil war broke out in 2011 are some denomination of Christian."

Obama has plenty of Christian refugees to choose from, so far it's 62 out of 24,000 to be exact.

• Contrariuser mid-state, TN
    Aug. 16, 2016 10:24 p.m.

@RRB --

"You mean that Obama can't demand that they be fair..."

It's not a question of just "being fair". There's a huge machinery involved in refugee camps and registering people and so on. The Christians simply aren't there to get registered, because they don't use the camps.

And the USA doesn't run the UN. Obama can't just snap his fingers and expect the UN to comply with his demands, you know.

"...This is Obama's responsibility, or one of his cabinet."

Get real. It would probably take millions of dollars to set up a new refugee system. If you want a different system, then start raising money to pay for it.

"They appear to be filtering Christians out," said Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)."

Well, of course. He's an extreme conservative. He vocally supports racial profiling, for heaven's sake. He even displays a Confederate flag on his desk, even though Iowa was never even a Confederate state. Of *course* he'd say something like that. But is he an expert on mid-East immigration? No, of course not.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 9:48 p.m.

@RBB. How is it any different? How come you give a pass on Bush? He was the president of the United States and led America into a false war.

Also 215 Republicans voted for the Iraq war vs 82 democrats in the house and in the senate it was 48 to 29 respectively. The republicans own the Iraq war plain and simple.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 9:43 p.m.

If Trump actually wrote ANY of this op-ed, I'll eat my Bernie T-shirt.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 8:46 p.m.

Shawn

Hillary, Kennedy and Kerry all supported the war in Iraq. Blaming just Bush can't be done, it was a totally different situation.

Let's stop trying to divert the discussion. Hillary messed up in Benghazi and it cost American lives.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 6:28 p.m.

I am not a Hillary supporter at all but how many people were killed in Benghazi compared to how many lost their life during a false war in Iraq?

If you were not calling for Bush to be tried for crimes and lies then you can not be upset about Hillary.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 5:08 p.m.

This is pure garbage. There is nothing here we have not already heard time and time again. There is no substance. No real plans.

Nothing.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 3:51 p.m.

Contrarius

You mean that Obama can't demand that they be fair in their initial lists of refugees? They are an initial list, they are not mandatory. This is Obama's responsibility, or one of his cabinet.

“They appear to be filtering Christians out,” said Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa).

According to data from the State Department, just 62 of the 2,550 Syrian refugees that have been resettled in the U.S. since the Syrian civil war broke out in 2011 are some denomination of Christian. That's wrong.

ECR
    How did she respond? Hillary is on record in an interview with Chris Wallace. “I don’t hold any ill feeling for someone who in that moment may not fully recall everything that was or wasn’t said.”

Matt Vespa quipped: Oh, so Smith is not only wrong — her grief may have induced some amnesia?

Utahbluedevil
    It's on the front page of the opinion section. Not the front page of the paper.

We have The Clinton foundation, the Clinton emails, Benghazi. How can you overlook this mess and her dishonesty?

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Aug. 16, 2016 3:34 p.m.

Hey comments -

" Hillary has already proven what a miserable failure she is in her current position. She has sold our country and sold her soul and is not to be trusted in any way shape or form."

Uh huh . . . That's what Trump and his supporters say, but the facts show just the OPPOSITE to be the case.

Why do you suppose that is?

Mitt Romney knows why.

"Dishonesty is a hallmark of Donald Trump."

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 3:13 p.m.

@JoeBlow
    RE: "What happened to the party and values of Lincoln, TR, Eisenhower and Reagan?? I hear you Coug. And I was a solid R voter back then"...
    ---
    Wow. You are even older than I thought. You voted for Lincoln?

=====

@ECR,
    I did read where she said she holds Clinton responsible.
    But she never said, Hillary Clinton "murdered" my son.
    Which you put in quotes. And called it "Fact".
    But she never said that (not a fact).

=====

The part of the Smith speech Clinton called a lie (or "wrong") was that she ever blamed his death on a video. I can show you several YouTube videos in which Hillary Clinton blamed it on a video (after she knew that narrative was not true).

Google "hillary clinton blames video for benghazi attack - YouTube"...

There's also a recorded phone conversation where she blames it on the video.
    Google "Hillary Clinton Benghazi Call Transcripts Released | The Daily Caller"...

There's also official State Dept Documents where she blamed it on the video. After she knew that was not the case.

• comments4us Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 2:57 p.m.

Utefan60 you have your head in the sand just like all of Hillary's other supporters. Hillary has already proven what a miserable failure she is in her current position. She has sold our country and sold her soul and is not to be trusted in any way shape or form.

• RodsA SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 2:45 p.m.

Trump is the best choice among the alternatives - if there were nothing else, just his choice of Supreme Court dominees would be enough to get my vote.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 2:41 p.m.

It is so sad that the GOP has spent millions and lied consistently about Ms. Clinton, yet she has survived all those false accusations, lies and blatant falsehoods.

That is a person I want as President. She has been put through the refining fires produced by the GOP and has made it through. And those who still call her every name in the book and falsify her supposed guilt are the ones that scare honest educated and decent Americans.

It is difficult for those who support Trump and the GOP to rationalize their poor decisions. Most Americans see through this and are taking their vote and their conscience to the Democrats.

• UtahBlueDevil Lehi Ut & Durham, NC
    Aug. 16, 2016 1:28 p.m.

What I find interesting is several times that I have included direct quotes from Trump, the positing was denied because it was considered "offensive". Once I deleted his quote, the post was approved. So here is a man who on a regularly makes comments that the Deseret News considers too offensive to quote, and yet many of you honor this man as though he will lead a moral correction in our nation.

I get peoples frustration with government. Anytime you feel your voice is not heard, frustration is surely to follow. But there is nothing in Trumps past that shows he will listen to anyone. His own campaign is trying to save his campaign by toning down his rhetoric... but he refuses. This is a man we are going to entrust working with Congress to get that side of government working for us again. That is a real stretch.

I don't want Hillary. I don't want Trump. We're going to end up with one of them. Trumps record of bankruptcies, bad debt, thousands of law suites, is troublesome. The one thing I do admire about Trump - he is willing to change his mind.

• Edward777 eugene, OR
    Aug. 16, 2016 12:58 p.m.

All one has to do is go to Trump's website and get all the specifics on policy you want. It is strange how the Democrats have mastered the concept of propaganda in this election. Edward Bernays would be proud. Claim Trump is an agent of the Russians without an iota of proof and you see it claimed throughout the media and social media. Claim Trump wants war, although it is Clinton that is the war hawk, and again, it gets repeated. Claim Trump is racist, and again, no evidence, just easy rhetoric to throw around. Strange how Trump can be simultaneously part of a Russian plot and wanting war with Russia. Strange how trump can be racist when most of his first-degree family is Jewish and he married a Slav. If Hillary wins Utah I will finally have to say Edward Bernays was right, hands down, and even Utah people, who I have always regarded as highly intelligent, are easily manipulable.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Aug. 16, 2016 12:02 p.m.

Ha! What a bunch of hoooey!

I can see why "Conservative" Utahans just LOVE this guy.

He's making all kinds of UNWORKABLE promises . . . Just like all Republican politicians do, but he's doing it brashly and boldly isn't he?

Sooooooo Impressive!!

Hey Tuffy Parker -

"Seriously?? This is the best Mr. Trump can offer to Utahns? "

Trump is a canny fraudster. You should trust his expertise. He KNOWS what Utahans want.

Hey Kerrie Lou -

" This election has become much more than simply electing a president. It's become a referendum on fear & hate vs love and freedom."

. . . Beautifully said. But the Trump campaign is melting down. What a mess!

In the interest of posterity, I'm getting the new Time Magazine (the one with Trump literally melting down on the cover) framed.

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Aug. 16, 2016 12:01 p.m.

I strongly believe Trump is a worshiper of Mammon and would be the worst POTUS ever.

• provo_indpt Provo, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 11:11 a.m.

C'mon Utah, we NEED to show the world that we are smart enough not to vote for an arrogant and immoral narcissist whose fear-mongering is meant to appeal to this nation's most ignorant. NEVER TRUMP!

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 10:29 a.m.

Ernest T. Bass: "The party of Nixon, Palin and Trump. Time for a complete overhaul, GOP."

...as opposed to the party of Obama, Gore, Pelosi, Reid, Kerry, and Hillary??? Physician...heal thyself!

I expected nothing less than a bunch of comments where liberals can find nothing redeeming in anything Trump says and nothing wrong with anything Hillary stands for.

It is sure to be a nasty election process over the next few months.

• ECR Burke, VA
    Aug. 16, 2016 10:26 a.m.

2 bits - Since you were reading the text of Patricia Smith's speech did you read further where she said "I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son. Personally!"?

And then a note at the bottom of the text says this, "In response to applause and commentary from the audience, Smith replied, "That's right: Hillary for prison. She deserves to be in stripes.""

So tell me how that narrative - that she is responsible for his death and she deserves to be in stripes - is different than someone saying another person murdered their son. My comment was in response the 'prelax' who said "Clinton can call a gold star mother a liar" which she definitely did not, as indicated by the quote from her interview with Chris Wallace. I'm wondering why you didn't address that untrue statement with the same vigor you questioned mine.

Donald Trump complained that Khizr Khan "viciously attacked me" and then went on one of his tweeting fits. Hillary Clinton accepted and understood the comments of Patricia Smith without attacking her in retaliation. Which person will act like the adult once they get to the White House?

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 10:21 a.m.

A few years ago, when it was politically expedient, the Republicans were all up in arms about the ballooning debt, even though the drastic increases were necessary to keep the economy afloat. But now they are embracing someone who wants to give us a double dose of supply-side economics by reducing tax revenues by trillions. At least be consistent, Republicans. If you really do want to reduce the debt, then please start talking about tax increases and sensible cuts to wasteful government programs, such as our massive defense budget.

You know that we really can't do much with Social Security and Medicare. They will increase because of the retirement of the Baby Boom generation, and your economic policies have prevented many of these retirees from saving enough to live on. So that leaves you with few option, the most significant being military. We can't continue prosecuting unfunded wars and making big investments in the military-industrial complex. If you want to reduce the debt, get real about it.

• Contrariuser mid-state, TN
    Aug. 16, 2016 10:19 a.m.

@2 bits --

"Smith didn't say Clinton "murdered her son"."

Actually, she pretty much did, though not in those exact words.

Her exact words -- and I quote -- were: "I blame Hillary Clinton. I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son."

• comments4us Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 10:11 a.m.

Like others here, I decry what Hillary has done much more than what Donald has said. Regardless of his deliverance, he has shown more patriotism, more concern for our police and military, more concern for our security, more concern for our commerce, and more concern for our rights than Hillary ever has. Her lying, illicit, illegal, murderous, treasonous, and corrupt activities make her a catastrophe for our country, not to mention that she receives support from governments where it is legal to throw gay people off buildings and murder Christians. Donald's priorities are in America's best interest, while Hillary's priorities are in the rest of the worlds interest, and in lining her own pockets. I support Donald 100% and I hope Utahans will pull their heads out and recognize that he is the best option to keep our country from being sold out from under us.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 9:29 a.m.

@ECR 6:21 a.m.
    RE: "FACT: After Patricia Smith, the mother of a young man killed in Benghazi, said Hillary Clinton "murdered her son"...
    ---
    If you're going to claim to be stating a "FACT"... at least get the facts correct.

Patricia Smith never said Hillary Clinton "Murdered" her son.

This is the direct quote from her speech at the Convention...
    "When I saw Hillary Clinton at Sean’s coffin ceremony, just days later, she looked me squarely in the eye and told me a video was responsible. Since then, I have repeatedly asked Hillary Clinton to explain to me the real reason why my son is dead. I’m still waiting"...

She blamed Clinton for not getting a straight answer about what lead up to her son's death. She didn't say Hillary "murdered her son".

====

Whether Patricia Smith is a liar or not (as Hillary Clinton stated in the DNC debate)... can't be proven (PolitiFact). Only Hillary and Patricia know what she said.

Smith didn't say Clinton "murdered her son". Smith does hold Clinton and her department's lack of response partly responsible.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 8:38 a.m.

Put all your energy into helping Trump get better instead of dividing us up even more.

Hillary is worse than everyone even thinks and she is going to win unless we unite!+

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Aug. 16, 2016 8:33 a.m.

"What happened to the party and values of Lincoln, TR, Eisenhower and Reagan??"

I hear you Coug. And I was a solid R voter back then. But, you must admit that the GOP did not get to this place over night.

It has been building. The GOP, along with Fox and right wing radio along with the Tea Party has put forth an ugly narrative that fosters this kind of rebellion.

And it has culminated in the outright hatred of our current president and the desire to see this country fail unless one of theirs is at the helm.

Unlike many, I want a balanced government. I want to see R and D come together and construct balanced solutions.

I hope to see the GOP of old return, but I am not optimistic.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Aug. 16, 2016 8:31 a.m.

@SHELBY135
    FARMINGTON, UT

God sent Donald Trump to save America.
    10:13 p.m. Aug. 15, 2016

====

THAT is a scary statement...

• dave The OC, CA
    Aug. 16, 2016 8:14 a.m.

If you do not believe that America is not great now, get out.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Aug. 16, 2016 8:07 a.m.

"How many more scandals can she side-step until until some Americans take off their rose-colored glasses, use common sense, and realize that Trump is going to win?"

How many more scandals can you all make up? That's how many more she can side step.

On one hand you all demean her , resolve, intellectual abilities, and accomplishments, and on the other are bewildered by how she can escape 40 years of scandals.

One quick answer is it's the scandals that are the lies, not her responses.

Trump is going to win...we're you in charge of Romney's campaign polling per chance?

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Aug. 16, 2016 7:40 a.m.

Scare, scare, scare, I'll fix it all for you, me, me, me.

What happened to the party and values of Lincoln, TR, Eisenhower and Reagan??

• UtahBlueDevil Lehi Ut & Durham, NC
    Aug. 16, 2016 7:34 a.m.

RRB.... its still there..... what are you complaining about?

• ECR Burke, VA
    Aug. 16, 2016 6:21 a.m.

prelax said"

"It amazes me that Clinton can call a gold star mother a liar, and no one says a thing. But if Trump does it, it's front page."

FACT: After Patricia Smith, the mother of a young man killed in Benghazi, said Hillary Clinton "murdered her son", FOX News Chris Wallace asked her to respond and she said, "Chris, my heart goes out to both of them. Losing a child under any circumstances, especially in this case, two State Department employees, extraordinary men both of them, two CIA contractors gave their lives protecting our country, our values. I understand the grief and the incredible sense of loss that can motivate that."

"The sham of an investigation by the FBI that would put anyone else in prison will be followed by an investigation of the Clinton foundation after the election."

FACT: The FBI WOULD put anyone in prison who; 1. Promotes the idea of a foreign government (Russia) hacking government websites; 2. The statements - kidding or otherwise - of those proposing "Second Amendment Remedies" to solve a political disagreement. So why isn't Mr. Trump in jail?

• ECR Burke, VA
    Aug. 16, 2016 5:57 a.m.

Wow! I see I'm late to the party but I still want to give my opinion of this op-ed. Like the op-ed from Hillary Clinton, it is obvious that someone else wrote this for Mr. Trump (I say that mainly because he never once used the term 'bigly' in this essay). But in the tradition of almost all of Mr. Trump's speeches, he spend more time making false statements about his opponent than he does explaining his policies. So let me just make a few points:

- Rather than being 'adrift' for 8 years, our country has slowly, but surely, recovered from the worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression. If we get, as Mr. Trump fears, four more years of the Obama Administration, then I guess we can expect a tripling of the stock market and the creation of 14 million new jobs.

- Calling ISIS "Islamic terrorists" will not give us any more advantage than we already have in fighting against those evil forces.

- The ONLY candidate who has shown a tendency to threaten religious liberty in this election is the man whose name is listed as the author of this essay..

• RRB SLC, UT
    Aug. 16, 2016 12:48 a.m.

Trumps reply to the DN stays on the front page for 10 hours, Hillary's for 3 days. Why??!?

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Aug. 15, 2016 11:27 p.m.

@JDay writes, "there are too many troubling things about [Hillary] (abortion, gay marriage).

Did Hillary announce plans to make you get married to a same-sex person?

Did Hillary announce plans to make you get an abortion?

Hillary doesn't think that YOU should make the decision about someone else's marriage--or their pregnancy. And it sounds like you don't like that.

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Aug. 15, 2016 11:04 p.m.

@RichardB --

"Obama's administration is in charge of our immigration, not the U.N."

Read my post again. Yet again -- even the National Review acknowledges that the fault lies with the UN.

Obama doesn't just pick immigrant names out of the air. They get the list of immigrant applicants from the UN, because the majority of the refugees apply through the UN refugee camps.

Yet again -- "That so few of the Syrian refugees coming here are non-Muslim minorities is due to American reliance on a United Nations refugee-resettlement program that disproportionately excludes them.[....](M)inorities have difficulty getting to step one in the U.N. process."

The UN process is to blame, not Obama.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 15, 2016 10:17 p.m.

Trump has taken the party of Lincoln and turned it into the party of John Wilkes Booth.

But Utah will still go for Trump by at least 15 points.

• SHELBY135 FARMINGTON, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 10:13 p.m.

God sent Donald Trump to save America.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 9:46 p.m.

According to NATO statistics, the U.S. spent an estimated $650 billion on defense last year. That's more than double the amount all the other 27 NATO countries spent between them, even though their combined GDP tops that of the U.S.

Trump has a point about making NATO share the burden. Right now we have 50 nuclear weapons in Turkey, an unstable country with Syria across the border.

Trump was asked the question if he wanted a Muslin registry, it wasn't his statement, but one posed by a reporter. He answered maybe a Syrian refugee database. It turns out, we already have one.

His list of judges has received praise, would you cast shade on your sister on national TV.

• roseparkT Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 9:33 p.m.

Trump is the man!

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 9:33 p.m.

Utah can help make America great again.

Don't vote for trump.

• pkrtms american fork, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 9:05 p.m.

If you agree the USA should threaten to abandon NATO, screen people based on religion from coming, start a national registry on peaceful citizens based solely on a religion, encourage other peaceful nations ( japan south korea ect ) to get nuclear weapons because we want them to pay us more for protection and 100's of other insane and immoral things this man espouses, vote for him. It is good to remember - he has NO chance of winning nationally- NONE.- He is going to lose no matter what utah does. This is Utah's chance to stand and say NO - republicans here do NOT issue blank checks to the GOP. We expect candidates to be good people - we dont need perfect, but we do require them to be HONORABLE- Trump thinks his Pro Abortion sister would be a great justice nominee ! He wouldn't appoint good justices even if he had a change too. He is no conservative. I do NOT vote party lines if the nominee won't do what he promises, insults nearly everyone he meets and is more concerned with his twitter campaign than learning how to run a country.

• Grumpy Granpa Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 9:03 p.m.

Hillary and Trump are two faces on the same coin both are a disaster for this country. This is an all time low in our history, and as such history will not look favorably upon us. Third party candidates are the only moral choice.

Better yet, we should clean our own house first, but non-of our locally elected representatives will be ousted even after the prison relocation fiasco. There is no one to blame but ourselves. Shame on us.

• utroyalwulff logan, ut, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:58 p.m.

if trump gets less electorial college delegates than Mitt does mean Trump is a bigger choker? It looks that might happen except I think trump will bail and Pence will have to take over.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:51 p.m.

Being socially acceptable is something the world expects. Trump is it.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:43 p.m.

Re: nicholdraper

That was quite and impressive list!

And as long as we are in the list mode, could you give us a list of why you are STILL living in this "less great America"?

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:33 p.m.

Orrin Hatch is pushing for passage of TPP. Donald Trump likens TPP to "rape of our country". Either Hatch thinks it will be a done deal before Trump is elected, or secretly suspects that Hillary will get elected but wants to make it look like He is supporting the Republican Candidate. Or, Trump, in obamaesque style, is saying what the voters want to hear but will not oppose the TPP if elected.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:32 p.m.

I like what he said, he's not pretending to be someone that he is not.

Contrarius
    Obama's administration is in charge of our immigration, not the U.N.

10 percent of the refugees are Christian, yet Obama allows less than 1%. Why is the press silent on Obama's discriminatory practice?

• Global Warner Provo, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:27 p.m.

Trump shows again that neither he nor his PR writers have any understanding of Utah. Garnering support from pols like Hatch, Herbert, Okerland & Adams only shows that some Utah officials will vote for any person wearing a GOP hat. The Donald is one of the worst presidential candidates in history as evidenced by his lack of knowledge about how our government actually operates, what U.S. values really are, why most patriots reject his racism, sexism, partnership with Putin & his thugs, & fear-mongering accusations to the “uneducated” he says he loves.
    Where are the Donald’s plans & specifics, etc? He seemingly can’t get beyond naïve rhetoric about wiping out ISIS, fantasies about building a wall, & how he’s going to block Muslim immigrants by psychological trickery he now calls “extreme vetting. He’s not just wrong about Utah & America, he’s an outright embarrassment around the globe.” I want a better, more inclusive society for my many kids & grandchildren who live throughout Utah.
    Donald, America is great, & gets greater every day. Yes, we have challenges, but we’ve always united to solve them in the past. And we certainly won’t if you were to be elected.

• NobodySpecial Alpharetta, GA
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:17 p.m.

Gary Herbert and Orrin Hatch must be very, very proud to be called out by name as endorsers of Mr. Trump. I'll bet they're scrap-booking this article right now for posterity.

• nicholdraper West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:10 p.m.

Want a list of countries that are better than the USA. By GDP per capita they are: Quatar, Luxembourg, Singapore, Brunei, Kuwait, Norway, United Arab Emirates, San Marino, Switzerland, Hong Kong. By the number of Billionaires created China beat the USA by 100 to 4 last year, we still lead by most billionaires but at the rate we going we will not be for long. By child mortality rate 29 other countries are better than the USA. By ease of starting a business, we are now 7th. By religious freedom we are 9th. The USA used to lead in all these statistics. Make America Great Again isn't a slogan for no reason.

• UtahBlueDevil Lehi Ut & Durham, NC
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:06 p.m.

"We don't need 5 justices managing the 50 states, we can all manage things ourselves, thank you very much."

Ah yes..... as we have seen, unchecked the states and people have done things "ourselves" just fine.... Not. I am surprised that the party of the constitution is filled with so many who would willfully get rid of the basic principles that has kept our country running now 200 plus years .... that we have 3 separate legs/pillars which ensures checks and balances. Now "conservatives" would abandon that basic foundation of our country.... deciding that we should have mob rule by the majority.

I have some really bad news for Utah ultra conservatives...... you are not part of any majority.... and you would become the subjected minority. Utah is a very small state run by a very small minority. Be very careful of what you ask for.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 8:05 p.m.

I thought this was a great editorial. I understand he gave a "presidential" talk on foreign policy today also. I want to hear that. Trump has never been in politics before. One of the things that people like about him is he is straight forward and no PC garbage. Others are used to her lying about her lies and saying what people want to hear wherever she is. They are conditioned to think that is ok. Time to change parties and commands. I don't think this country can take another 4 years of continued Obama-Clinton regime!

The Clinton Foundation money-laundering is just beginning to get to full steam. How many more scandals can she side-step until until some Americans take off their rose-colored glasses, use common sense, and realize that Trump is going to win?

Trump-Pence 2016

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Aug. 15, 2016 7:55 p.m.

@prelax --

"Obama has ignored Christian refugees. He has banned them through inaction."

Nonsense. Even the uber-conservative National Review admits that the low number of Christian immigrants is due to UN policies, not Obama.

"That so few of the Syrian refugees coming here are non-Muslim minorities is due to American reliance on a United Nations refugee-resettlement program that disproportionately excludes them.[....](M)inorities have difficulty getting to step one in the U.N. process. The religious terror that drove them from Syria blocks their registering. The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is largely limited to collecting refugee applications and making resettlement referrals from its own camps and centers -- the burden of feeding creates strong incentives for this practice. ... Knox Thames, the State Department's new special adviser for religious minorities, wrote that "many minorities have not entered the UN system because they are urban refugees." That is, because they live far from the remote U.N. camps and aid centers, they lack the information and access to register. And, as is widely known, many non-Muslim refugees try hard to avoid these camps."

• utahbug , UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 7:54 p.m.

The trend in crime has been decreasing since the early 1990s, and illegal immigration has declined. The article contains many misrepresentations (some of these started with Sean Hannity, which KSL dropped from its radio show).

I'm pretty sure that Governor Hubert wasn't really supporting Trump. He was supporting his good friend Pence. It's like ordering a double cheeseburger that happens to have pickles (I hate pickles). Keep in mind that the lieutenant governor and many other high-placed Republicans are not supporting the GOP nominee this year. Elections are not just about the party -- candidate values also matter.

Utah is unlikely to vote for Clinton, and Utah is unlikely to make a difference in the Presidential election. But for this election (any election), I think it's perfectly acceptable to vote your conscience, even if that 3rd party candidate doesn't stand a chance of winning. In fact, voting for a 3rd party would allow Utah to make a statement about what is not acceptable.

• prelax Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 7:38 p.m.

The marketing by the DNC is taking over the election. Hillary can do no wrong according to the majority of the press.

I like his statement. If you want more details, check his website or any of his 10 books.

• waikiki_dave Honolulu, HI
    Aug. 15, 2016 7:37 p.m.

Vote Hillary for President in 2016! Anyone but Trump. Be scared about the Donald sitting in the White House. Imagine it . . . surrounded by yes men, his family running the WH staff and Trump himself making military decisions, running the economy; Sarah Palin as Sec'y of Energy; Ben Carson as Surgeon General and finally, the worst of all, Mike Pence as 2nd in command, and don't forget, Rudy Guliani as Attorney General. I can't imagine a worse nightmare, even Clinton with all her short comings is better than Trump.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 7:01 p.m.

Re: Prelax

"Trump wants law and order, and borders to protect us, like they used in Biblical times."

Oh Yeah! Like in 2 Corinthians!

• Mark Terran Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 5:51 p.m.

I see authenticity, benevolence, and patriotism in this article.

In contrast, I see an utter void of Faith, Hope, and Charity, and numerous distortions and falsehoods, in many of the reader comments here.

There are various, likely explanations for this, including the following:

One: a desire on the part of some persons and entities in this state to maintain virtual non-enforcement of U.S. immigration law, for enhanced profits but without regard for the well-being of society at large; and,

Two:

“For behold, at that day shall he [Satan, the great arch-enemy of Liberty] rage in the hearts of the children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good.” (2 Nephi 28:20, Book of Mormon]

• prelax Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 5:44 p.m.

Impartial7

Obama has ignored Christian refugees. He has banned them through inaction.

• prelax Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 5:03 p.m.

A vote for Hillary is a vote for abortion. A vote for Hillary is a vote against religion. Hillary lies about lying. She doesn't have Utah values, without the constant attack by the media, she would not be ahead. Shades of Bernie Sanders.

• Watchagonnado Draper, utah
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:41 p.m.

Either we start getting behind Trump or we will end up with Hillary Clinton as the president. If she wins, it is not just four to eight years of Hillary, but a Supreme Court that will have an effect for generations. Our children and grandchildren will not have the America we have. Electing Hillary will end religious freedom as we know it. This is a binary choice, if you are not for Trump you are for Hillary.

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:40 p.m.

Utah, can, but Trump can't

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:40 p.m.

"Donald Trump: Utah can help make America great again"

Yes, by voting "none of the above"!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:37 p.m.

Those who want to "make America great again" should heed the words of Edmund Burke who warned that "great nations and little minds go ill together."

Donald Trump has repeatedly shown a reckless disregard for the values that made America great. Threatening to ban a people on the basis of their Muslim faith will not foster religious liberty or national security. Insulting the Gold Star parents of a fallen soldier who challenged his blanket banning of Muslims shows disrespect for military families and intolerance for anyone who dares disagree with him.

His petty insults, cruel remarks, intemperate speech, and bizarre policy pronouncements raise serious questions of his knowledge of or interest in important policy issues or the values that govern public discourse. He has demonstrated on a daily basis that he is hardly the person to turn to in an effort to "make America great again."

• Tuffy Parker Salem, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:33 p.m.

@kerrielou - Well stated. The Clinton campaign obviously did their research and, at least on paper, understand the Utah complexities. Trump's effort in this Op-Ed to connect with that same electorate are amazingly out of touch - embarrassingly so. From my perspective, this attempt to connect with the Utah voters further solidifies his disconnect rather than helping close the gap. It's indicative of how far the Trump campaign is in over its head.

That said, please don't mistake my observations on this as endorsement for Ms. Clinton. The mainstream parties (and I supposed the primary process) have left us with dismal choices this election cycle. I am decidedly voting third party this time with the hope that someone more inline with my preferences will emerged for a run in 2020.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:23 p.m.

@Christoph;
    "One party wants to ban Muslims, and the other party Christians, and I ask, which is worse? "

Where do you get this? You sound like Trump. Ever see footage or photos of Hillary in church? There's ton's of them out there. Ever see President Obama in similar situations? Plenty of times. His children are baptized Christian (Trump's daughter is Jewish). Ever see Trump in church? His campaign says he belonged to a church and that church issued a statement that said he wasn't a member. President Obama's been in office for 7.5 years. How many times has he tried to ban Christians? About as many times as he's come to get your guns.

• JDay Orem, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:11 p.m.

While I do not support Trump for numerous reasons, this article does a good job at highlighting a lot of problems with Hillary that she conveniently overlooked in the op-ed she wrote for the DN. While it certainly sounded nice and did a lot of cozying up to church members, there are too many troubling things about her (abortion, gay marriage, untrustworthiness, etc.} that make it very very difficult for myself and other Mormons to really get behind her. Not surprisingly, she failed to address any of them when speaking to Utahns.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:10 p.m.

Sorry, Donald (ghostwriter...).
    Utah, the nation and the world can't afford a first trump term as president.

• Clinton King (Ephraim) Ephraim, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 4:00 p.m.

"As the people of the Beehive State know, the result of this election could have catastrophic consequences for our businesses, religious institutions, military and families."
    One small change: As the people of the Beehive State know, the result of this election *will* have catastrophic consequences for our businesses, religious institutions, military and families.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:55 p.m.

@nonceleb.
    No specifics? A lot like Hillary’s DNews Op-Ed.

@sunderland56
    Just because America has lost its greatness doesn’t mean that other countries are better places to live (yet). America is just not as great as it used to be.

But, here are 3 that are looking better and better:
    Great Britain—Reason: Brexit (Recent financial news is that investors are turning bullish on Britain—go figure).
    Australia—Reason: No Trump, and No Clinton.
    Canada—Reason: Government-funded health-care, with the option to go south of the border if you end up on a waiting list for a specialized procedure that you will die without.

Additionally, 65 to 75% of Americans say we are on the wrong track (can you say “decline”). Begs the question, how do we get back on the right track?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:53 p.m.

The party of Nixon, Palin and Trump. Time for a complete overhaul, GOP.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:49 p.m.

Mr. Trump's letter seems to be dripping in sarcasm.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:44 p.m.

Someone has said, simplicity is the greatest sophistication, that is all we need in the future, simple principles. We don't need complex, and our country is starting to dislike candidates who think they are expert on all the nations of the world, that is what advisors are for. We need simple people with personality and yes, also, our country loves entertainment, so we look for a candidate to entertain us all the time too. We don't need 5 justices managing the 50 states, we can all manage things ourselves, thank you very much.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:44 p.m.

christoph
    Brigham City, UT

I did not think she would get elected one time. But then the Republicans gave us Trump. Hard to say what they will offer in 2020.

• SLars Provo, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:36 p.m.

Gingrich said it best, Hillary lies about lying.

I remain much more bothered by what Hillary has done, than by what Trump has said. Hillary faces more hearings on her foundation and favors while secretary of state. And it might not have the Obama administration to "handle it".

If Hillary is elected we could be looking at years of investigations and hearings. That would give us a wounded President that would be unable to focus on issues.

• UtahBlueDevil Lehi Ut & Durham, NC
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:35 p.m.

And those consequences would be what? We were told Obama would come and take our guns. Gun ownership and the ability to take guns onto federal lands was liberalized. We were told that under Obama he would liberalize abortions.... and yet the number of abortions over the last 7 years is down. Trump says crime is rampant, and yet by most statistics, crime is down. We are told that Hillary will be a blank check to put anyone on the Supreme Court she wants, and yet we have seen Obama can't even get hearings for his nominee.

The fact is that the Constitution provides certain balances where a President can only do so much. When the other side is out of office, they both make ridiculous claims, and here again we have Trump doing likewise. Trump again is pandering to a welcoming crowd - despite the facts he can do little of what he promises.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:33 p.m.

"Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have tried to undermine our religious liberties on the altar of political correctness."
    ______________________________

What Trump derides as political correctness, others of us regard as basic human decency. That includes how we characterize Mexican immigrants, Muslims, women, or anyone else. Trump’s proposed immigration restrictions threaten religious liberty which ironically is what he here sweepingly accuses Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and the Democratic Party in general.

• kerrielou Kennewick, WA
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:15 p.m.

@Tuffy Parker It's quite the contrast with Hillary's, although I'm sure she had lots of help. Regardless, his message to Utah does not in any way convey an understanding of Utah's very unique history or population. He would garner support from Mormons the same way he would from evangelicals, but Mormons are not evangelicals. Their faith is much more nuanced and at least on paper, much more tolerant.

Trump has zero understanding that yes, the LDS are a very peculiar people, despite the desire in the recent past to be part of the mainstream "Christian Coalition." I have seen that desire temper and the church to once again embrace it's uniqueness. Even his stance on abortion is not in line with LDS doctrine or policy, because as peculiar as they are, the leadership of the LDS church are often loathe to proclaim absolutes. Whereas many other faiths recklessly paint themselves into corners they cannot escape. Corners especially prone to fear, bigotry, and intolerance.

• clearthink Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:10 p.m.

I'd rather have someone who knows how to get things done than yet another politician with a ten-point plan that disappears the moment he/she is elected.

People complain because Trump doesn't detail "how" he'll accomplish his goals. Did they ask "how" he was going to become the leading real estate developer in Manhattan? Did they ask "how" he was going to build a skyscraper? Or "how" he would improve world-class golf courses? Or "how" he would develop a top TV show, write top business books, or even win the Republican nomination?

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:06 p.m.

If we continue down the Obama/Clinton liberal path, the U.S. will collapse in the next few decades. If it weren't for politically correctness, Trump would easily be ahead in the polls. I have never seen such biased reporting in my life. Look, illegal immigration floods the market with workers who drive down wages. Build that wall! Bad trade deals encourage multi-national corporations to use cheap slave labor overseas. If Trump doesn't become the next President, the middle class will not exist for the next generation.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 3:04 p.m.

One party wants to ban Muslims, and the other party Christians, and I ask, which is worse? Both are worse. Anyone would have lost to Mrs. Clinton, she will win. Yet, change is coming. She won't be re-elected.

• Web Geek Lehi, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:49 p.m.

Trump and Clinton are equally a train wreck waiting to happen. My vote may not win over those that choose one of these evils, but I will at least be able to say I did not vote for either evil. Utah is better than Clinton and Utah is better than Trump. And while 6 electoral votes may not change the outcome of election, it's worth it to show the GOP and Dems that neither of these candidates represent Utah values!

Let's turn Utah 3rd party!!!

• utroyalwulff logan, ut, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:45 p.m.

wow neither he or hillary seem like valid options for me. I guess I better check out Gary Johnson and hope he is at least reasonable. Being the father of a teenager I can imagine trump getting a crazy whim and sending him and all the other kids his age to war over something unwarranted because he is thin skinned. Im not sure he would understand the consequences and emotions of people that lost children to a war he started. Hillary- I dont even know where to start with her, so I wont.

• jean22 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:39 p.m.

I sense a ghostwriter here.

• sunderland56 Moab, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:35 p.m.

Dear Mr. Trump:

The phrase "Make America Great Again" implies that America is no longer great. If you belive that, could you list the countries that you think are greater than America right now? And, if you could, the reasons you think those other countries are greater than the USA?

• Tuffy Parker Salem, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:26 p.m.

Seriously?1? This is the best Mr. Trump can offer to Utahns?

Regurgitated fear mongering and a few paragraphs of pandering on religious freedom and pro-life does very little to unwind the seemingly unending train wreck that occurs every time Trump makes a public speech.

• nonceleb Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:22 p.m.

As with everything else, he never explains how. No actual strategy or plans. Just bloviating rhetoric.

• kerrielou Kennewick, WA
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:11 p.m.

As a former Mormon I have often been disappointed in the church's stance on social liberty issues. They always seem to be about 20 years behind, but I do hold out hope that in this election they will make the honorable choice. I do still have some faith that members will put decency, love of all people, and country, before party politics. I know how strongly the church feels about religious liberty. I also know how strong is their desire to be recognized as a "mainstream" Christian church. I hope their core beliefs on religious freedom, even for Muslims, will carry the day in Utah in November, because Trump basically just called for an alliance with Russia to wreak full scale imperialistic, "to the victor go the spoils," war on the entire middle east.

If Trump wins, god forbid, 50 years from now our grandchildren and great grandchildren will ask us did we vote for Trump or Clinton, not some irrelevant 3rd party. This election has become much more than simply electing a president. It's become a referendum on fear & hate vs love and freedom.

• DavidMiller Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:04 p.m.

There is the 2016 election in a nutshell.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 15, 2016 2:03 p.m.

There are so many mis-statements, untruths, and pure junk in this OP-Ed, it's too numerous to comment. How about the D-News fact check this "piece" and write a report for us in the next few days. Utahn's are smarter than he thinks.