Hollywood is suing a Utah-based movie filtering service. Here's why they might not win.

• TTT10 Provo, UT
    Nov. 14, 2016 12:35 p.m.

Anyone else curious why Hollywood is NOT suing ClearPlay, which is also a movie editing software? That's because @rJohnson nailed it on the head. VidAngel is illegally ripping DVDs and circumventing encryption technology to stream to your house in a gimmick sell-buyback program. They will lose the lawsuit. But their antitrust lawsuit might play out a little better.

• Xoltar Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 3, 2016 12:50 p.m.

I've been using VidAngel since their beta version and I love it! Filtering out objectionable content is important to me. And the price is fantastic.

Regarding, "You can buy it or skip it but you can't steal it. That's what VidAngel is doing.", that is not true. Every time I buy a movie to watch on VidAngel, there is literally a physical copy of the DVD in their vault that corresponds to the VOD movie that I bought. So, there is no stealing going on.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Aug. 2, 2016 10:46 a.m.

I've been using ClearPlay for years and have been very happy with their service.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 1, 2016 11:56 a.m.

when hollywood stops selling edited movies to show on airplanes or on network TV, then I might start to believe their concerns

Craig Clark
    I did not know hollywood was responsible for presenting history. I thought they were storytellers.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Aug. 1, 2016 9:25 a.m.

"...What they didn’t want was for their younger children to learn racist slurs like the N-word, an epithet hurled at Robinson regularly in “42,” the 2013 film about his life...."
    ______________________________

Back in the days of the production code in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s, Hollywood whitewashed much of the ugly side of American history to appease sensibilities to the point of presenting a picture that misrepresented what happened. Times have sure changed since then.

• RJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2016 5:28 a.m.

@Summit

"Hollywood is so out of touch with its customers,"

Then how do you explain $11 billion in revenues for 2015--a record, by-the-way?

"The world does not revolve around you."

Nor does Hollywood revolve around you. It makes what sells. You can buy it or skip it but you can't steal it. That's what VidAngel is doing.

• Summit Park City, UT
    July 31, 2016 9:11 p.m.

Hollywood is so out of touch with its customers, and overly controlling. If I want to mute a section, skip some content, watch only part of the movie, or make any other skips, jumps, or hops - that is my right to do so in my own privacy. And I will do it.

Get a life Hollywood. The world does not revolve around you.