LDS Church reboots 'Meet the Mormons' with new faces, new stories, new footage; release set for July 16

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    July 15, 2016 7:56 p.m.

Joe Blow: "Remember. Slim". I'm not sure what you meant by that.

I believe that there is some truth in all religions. I also believe that the LDS Religion has yet more to learn. I also believe that we have been granted a dispensation of knowledge about God that no other religion has. We are the only one that accepts prophets and continued revelation; though many others, I believe, do get answers to sincere prayers.

God is a god of justice and mercy. He will be ever desirous that we arrive at the omnipotence and omniscience--and love, tempered with justice--that he has one day. In the meantime, we all should work with faith to try to become more like him.

That some religions are more god-like than others should be obvious, considering what we're facing today in the form of terrorism in the name of religion. But even from an academic standpoint [not to discount what I feel strongly are personal spiritual experiences] the LDS Religion comes closest, and just makes more sense to me than any of the others.

You are free to disagree, and I respect that.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    July 15, 2016 4:13 p.m.

" I think he works very hard and lovingly to bring us to the truth"

GL W8. Are you referring to mormonism?

I doubt that you will find many people in the pews of any church who believe that "the truth" lies elsewhere. I think we would all be better off if we accepted everyone based on their actions, and left religion out of it.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of religions out there. They chance that any one person has discovered the true ONE is slim.

"That's one reason why we work so hard in our temples--so that the opportunity for exaltation is made available to all."

You obviously assume that you have the true one. Just like many many of those of different religions.

Remember. Slim.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    July 15, 2016 2:28 p.m.

Joe Blow: "I cant imagine a god holding a persons religion against them." Neither can I. I think he works very hard and lovingly to bring us to the truth. Most parents work hard to keep children safe, healthy, and intelligent.

Bass679: "I would love to take my wife to the temple." There will be time. "[She} had some bad experiences in her teens with organized religion." That's not unusual, even with some unfortunate occurrences in the LDS Church. We are all human.

Much could be said about our need to exercise faith, patience, tolerance, and yielding to the will of God, but there's not enough space in this comment to do it. But we and and should reflect on the 137th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, where Alvin Smith was seen by Joseph to be an heir to the Celestial Kingdom. God knows our hearts, and Christ's atonement will cover things that have gone wrong in our lives, some of which weren't entirely our fault.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    July 15, 2016 12:40 p.m.

It's a super common mistake to marry (or date) with the intent to convert. I mean, don't mistake me. I would love to take my wife to the temple. But if you think of your spouse's religion as an item to fix it is not going to work. Mostly it takes understanding that even if you think an action is wrong, it doesn't make the person bad. My wife drinks, not often and not a lot but she does. She also looks for coffee as an ingredient in fancy desserts so in case I don't notice.

I made sure she had a visiting teacher and that she's invited to Relief Society things. As I told her, just because she's not part of the church does it mean she's not part of the ward. Honestly our approach to it comes from being raised in a very non-traditional (especially for rural Utah) family. It's not easy but if your partner's faith matters to them it should matter to you.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    July 15, 2016 12:18 p.m.

Bass,

Thanks for sharing.

Also, It appears that you did not marry expecting for her to convert. Good for you. I have to imagine that is a common mistake.

Personally, I cant imagine a god holding a persons religion against them. After all, I am confident that the most people follow the religion of their parents.

I also know both good and bad (ethical) religious and non religious people. I am not sure that I saw that the religious were more likely to be in the good category.

Your last line was the best - "What matters most is that we're a family"

Good for you.

Thanks,

• bass679 Novi, MI
    July 15, 2016 10:39 a.m.

continues...

I married a non-member myself and there are struggles. My wife is... vaguely Christian agnostic I suppose. She's on board with basic Christianity but had some bad experiences in her teens with organized religion. Mind you, we were still married in the Presbyterian church where she went as a child.

She doesn't really get the whole church thing but she understands how important it is to me. When we were dating I made sure and told her that to me, being active was not negotiable. Tithing is probably the biggest sticking point. I earn the lions share of our income and 10% of that goes to tithing. She's also not crazy about taking up a good chunk of Sunday for church, especially when I was in a Bishopric and 1-2 more hours a week.

That said, she loves family home evening and the church's emphasis on family. It bothers both of us that we don't have a temple marriage. She actually offered to convert so we could have one even though she doesn't believe. Maybe she'll convert, maybe not. What matters most is that we're a family

• bass679 Novi, MI
    July 15, 2016 10:28 a.m.

@JoeBlow
    My father wasn't a member, he and Ma didn't stay married long so I'll focus on my step-father who, though now a member, was not when he and my Ma married. My step-dad is a great guy, always has been. It was hard on my mom, to be married but not sealed. In the LDS church, family isn't the best thing, it's really the only thing. She struggled with inactivity but my step-dad encouraged her to be active and she would often to to holiday Mass with him, especially Christmas.

My step-dad was an active member of our ward for almost a decade before he was baptized. I don't mean he went to church, I mean that when someone needed moved into the ward he was there, when a service project needed done, we went. My ma always said, "marry someone who shares your values, it worked for me." Values don't necessarily mean the same church.

• BeeDub57 TULSA, OK
    July 15, 2016 7:46 a.m.

I recognize that many members of the Church - many good and faithful members - live in part-member families (whether through only part of a familiy joining the Church or a member marrying a non-member).

That being said, the normalization of members marrying outside the church is directly opposed to the emphasis the Church places - and rightly so - on temple marriage, and may convince many young people that their decisions to marry non-members are justifiable or "not that bad," though our doctrine explicitly states otherwise. Sad experience has also shown that members who marry non-members are far more likely to become inactive or leave the Church entirely. Showing such a situation as "OK" sends a mixed message that may do more harm than good in the long run.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    July 15, 2016 6:22 a.m.

"Nazhati married a nonmember and her story should appeal to part-member LDS families"

Can one be a staunch, believing LDS and be comfortable marrying a non member? Especially a female member and a husband non member.

I am interested to hear the comments on this.