Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during free-agency period

• Irving IRVING, TX
    June 28, 2016 10:23 p.m.

@ECR

Great point. The Jazz need to trade for Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, or JJ Redick. These are the few of a handful of guys that can consistently make threes that aren't one sided. Let's be realistic. This type of player is what everyone covets and it will cost $15 mil or more in free agency. An available player that you speak of will most likely be a one sided 3-point shooter with defensive and other offensive liabilities, which such player has shown the inability to stay on the floor and consistently effect the outcome of the game (Channing Frye, Anthony Morrow, even Kyle Korver). 3-point shooters making 37%-41% is probably what the Jazz mgmt is going to settle for and I believe they have a couple of those already. Maybe someone like a Jared Dudley may be available, but no one to get super excited about. Play-making and creating your own shot when the offense breaks down is what they lacked last year...and perimeter defense; and George Hill helps immensely with all of those needs, as should a healthy Dante and Alec.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 28, 2016 9:24 p.m.

@joe5

I agree that Orlando might offer...but...giving him a loaded contract would help get other free agents and take Orlando out of Free Agency...I think that for the brass to prove they will be aggressive...they should try offering contracts even to RFAs...like Fournier and Beal...as of right now...we need a shooting wing...and we need to dispose Burke and Burks...

• Super cool grandpa Orem, UT
    June 28, 2016 7:56 p.m.

Dennis Lindsay says he's going to be aggressive in free agency and today rumors are that we interested in Solomon Hill who was drafted by the Pacers and not offered a contract. He averaged like 4 points and 2 rebounds a game and the Jazz are willing to pay 9 to 13 million. Wow, are the Jazz out of their minds? If we can not land a free agent that can help, why pay millions for less then average talent. I'm starting to think the Jazz front office is getting desperate. If we going to risk millions why not Chandlor Parsons or Nick Batum or Fournier. Even Bazemore from Hawks won't be a bad deal but stop with the d league players. If after 3 years of playing in the league you only averaging 4 points why would I offer you 10 million to sit on the beach. Please Jazz management make a splash in free agency and give the fans something to be excited about!

• TexasCoug Midland, TX
    June 28, 2016 6:27 p.m.

Mack wasn't the problem at the end of the year. Favors and Rudy were injured the last several games when we needed wins, and Burks still wasnt' ready to come back. Too little depth with significant injuries and lack of experience to finish out games against Lakers, Clippers, and Dallas. Favors will be much better at start of season now that he has had time to heal. He was playing great before he got hurt. Gordon continues to improve every year and yet many say he is not a number one guy and to get rid of him because he is heading to Boston. When his numbers decline then we know he has maxed out his potential. Jazz probably won't get top free agents like Durant, but there are quality free agents that they may be able to get like Luol Deng or Jared Dudley that would give us good depth behind Gordon and greatly improve experience. Jazz will get 50+ wins this year and playoffs and this time next year all the boo birds will be quiet. This young Jazz team is envied by many GMs out there.

• fortydam OREM, UT
    June 28, 2016 5:43 p.m.

This move underscores the fact that the Jazz do not no what Exum will bring. He was playing great defense, but couldn't shoot or pass the ball with any efficiency. I think the Jazz were also worse with Mack. Neto should be the the guard in waiting. Exum may prove himself, but this draft trade indicates the Jazz aren't sold on him. They need a go to veteran at the wing, Hayward isn't a main outlet, he would defiantly improve if he had someone that demanded more attention. Getting a quality veteran to come to Utah will be a challenge.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    June 28, 2016 5:20 p.m.

I have a man-crush on Fournier so you won't get any argument from me on that score. As I said, I've been drooling over him for two years. And your right that the Olidapo trade further sealed his fate.

But you need to enter the era of positionless basketball. Fournier and Harris did pretty much the same things. Fournier was the purer shooter and Harris was the stronger defender and rebounder.

But their roles were pretty close to the same thing the Jazz have with Hayward and Hood. Who's the SG and who's the SF? They're similarly sized and both can play either position and even moonlight at PF in small lineups. When I make my dream lineups for the Jazz, I use three positions: PG, wings, and bigs. I know Trey Lyles is a stretch-4 but I often categorize him with the wings instead of the bigs. Why? Because that's where he spends the bulk of his time.

Anyway, we're in agreement he would be a "good get" for the Jazz. I just happen to believe Orlando will match any offer and he is not available for trade.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 28, 2016 2:13 p.m.

@joe5

first of its spit-balling...i don't see you recommending anyone...another point....Tobias Harris is a SF/PF and Fournier is a SG...when they Traded Tobias...it signaled Aaron Gordon as the building block...so you are way off on your assessment and you should know the players' position and who'd be next up on their roster before saying that the reason they traded tobias was for fournier...but the fact is...its for Aaron Gordon...the only thing that we could do is offer fournier a contract that would tie up Orlando...in the hopes of targeting other players...the only reason why i made a statement...is to point out our needs...and that is a shooting wing..so yeah...finally...let me correct you...the only trade the magic did to seal Fournier's fate as a magic...is when they dealt victor oladipo to the thunder...it made sure they have spots for Fournier and Hezonja...but with free agency around...and Orlando showing interests in Lin and Barnes...it wouldnt be bad to try and give fournier an offer sheet..he is RFA after all

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    June 28, 2016 12:20 p.m.

kakashi: hahahahahaha!!! Why not just offer Ingles for Blake Griffin?

You seem to have no concept that there is another team's interests involved in a trade. Listen, I love Fournier. I used these message boards for the last two years to suggest that the Jazz should be pursuing Fournier, I quit when Orlando traded Tobias Harris during the season. That pretty much signaled Orlando's intent to commit to Fournier as a young building block for their team.

I mean, you gotta be kidding. What in the world makes you think Orlando would take Jazz castoffs in exchange for one of their building blocks?

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 27, 2016 9:52 p.m.

Trade Burks and Burke to Orlando...for either Evan Fournier or Mario Hezonja

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 27, 2016 5:18 p.m.

Coleman: I think your a little pessimistic about Hayward , I don't see him leaving for Boston, I think this Jazz team is better than Boston, the Celtics are just in the weak eastern conference, that is why they made the playoffs . If this team stays healthy they will show that they are pretty good. I predict Lyles will prove to be a reliable offensive option and a better one than Favors in less than 2 years.

• J-Remmy North Ogden, UT
    June 27, 2016 2:04 p.m.

While I personally haven't heard Lindsey say in the past that they will be "aggressive" in free agency, i'm not optimistic that they are going to lure anyone over here this year. The jazz have their starting five. What big name free agent is willing to come over and back them up? Especially since EVERYONE has cap space this season. Not gonna happen. Then you start going down the free agent list, and ask the same question. The jazz will get what they always get: A mediocre player who won't tip the scales for the jazz the slightest. I will be the first to hope i'm wrong

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    June 27, 2016 9:56 a.m.

The only problem with Utah being "active" during the free agent market is that we have a horrible record of picking up free agents. More often than not, they add little to the team and are on the last legs of their careers. Probably more what we need is to find out what we actually have and determine who we need and who we should let go. The addition of George Hill might help our guard line temporarily but is no long term solution. Gordon Hayward will likely leave after next year because Boston will be too appealing to him. We then need a good backup three that can defend and we need to let go of all of our small guards and utilize the big athletic ones we acquired. Alec Burks needs to be traded and Trey Burke, Neto, and Mack need to be moved elsewhere. We have some promising young players that I believe are NBA ready and we need to first start there.

• ECR Burke, VA
    June 27, 2016 9:54 a.m.

"The team’s biggest needs now include finding another solid wing who can defend and be an outside threat and perhaps a backup center who can stretch the floor."

What the Jazz need is somebody who shoots and makes nothing but 3's, every night, consistently. That is the hthreat they've been missing in the modern game. Get that, and everything else falls into place.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 27, 2016 9:24 a.m.

"Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during free-agency period"

If "active" is defined as "actively being told no by every decent free agent in the NBA", then yes, I agree that they will be active.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    June 26, 2016 7:44 p.m.

In other words in previous years free agency the Jazz weren't trying...

• Houdini Dallas, TX
    June 26, 2016 5:46 p.m.

I loved watching Kobe score 60 in a meaningless game. The Jazz did the right thing for one of the greats.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 26, 2016 3:43 p.m.

I agree with most of you...Jeff Whithey and Trey Lyles are the way to go....when Gobert was down...i think Whithey stepped up big time...the guy can screen rotate make himself free...defend....while Trey Lyles...i can see him time from SF-C...our Diaw perhaps? but still...this team needs a legit go to guy...when you are on a stretch to close or to come back...and you need scoring...we need that dependable guy....unfortunately for Hayward it's really not his game...we need to let go of some of our players...like Trey Burke...Alec Burks...the brass need to choose between mack and neto...i think Neto is our backup...and Exum is our long term starter....but...i can only have lowered expectations for our team...as the wolves are going to crush us in time....

• TerryHaimes Sturgis, MS
    June 26, 2016 2:12 p.m.

I still say the "big deal" is the front office change from developing young players to winning. "Notifying players that they have to adjust to sitting or playing at the will of Snyder" in my mind is big big big. I still say the Jazz had the roster to make the playoffs even with the injuries if Snyder had been playing to win instead of develop. I will never be happy over the Jazz throwing the last game so Kobe could go out a hero.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    June 26, 2016 2:11 p.m.

As much as I like Trevor Booker, someone out there is going to offer him more money than the Jazz are willing to pay. With the way Lyles played last season, Booker will become the third option at power forward. That's why I think the Jazz are going to let him walk away.

By drafting Joel Bolomboy the Jazz already have their 3rd-string power forward waiting. Joel brings a lot of the same athletic attributes Booker has, but is taller and a better shooter. Joel also comes with a 40.5 inch vertical leap. The Jazz should be able to sign Bolomboy for something around a million dollars per year, that's a lot cheaper than what Booker will be willing to sign for.

• General Alpine, UT
    June 26, 2016 7:28 a.m.

Chemistry is critical. Didn't the Jazz have a worse record after adding Mack?

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    June 26, 2016 7:13 a.m.

In contrast to the Debbie Downers I think the glass is half full. I really think Whithey and Lyles are pretty good backups and can get better. Think Booker will get a better contract and Hanlan from last year will be on the summer roster. Think Burke will fit in either Pistons or Bulls or Kings. Neto over Mack for the long haul. Johnson should be let go and Pliess throw in on a trade.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 25, 2016 10:46 p.m.

Kalashnikov, I think you Missed a major piece and that is Lyles , I can see him being a much bigger part of the offense this year , I love his offensive game and think he will be used by Quin in a much larger role this coming season. If Exum is healthy and can stay that way his improvement as well as others improvement will make the Jazz a playoff team and probably a 50 win team. Go Jazz.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    June 25, 2016 9:56 p.m.

"Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during free-agency period" Ill believe that when I see it.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 25, 2016 7:43 p.m.

being a Jazz fan...i have had lowered expectations...i wont expect champagne celebrations at end of the season...i'd expect us to compete...go to playoffs...take our first or second round exit...and people would clamor how consistent the Jazz has been...being a playoff team...for a decade...without winning anything...right now...they have yet to met my already lowered expectations...we have Hayward..who isnt a number 1 guy...we have an inconsistent young Rodney Hood...who people are gushing over...but i dont...too inconsistent for me...a role player at best...Alec Burks a young injury prone player..Trey Burke who couldnt get it going...Favors a humble guy great attitude...but could be better...the only bright spot...the length of Gobert who i hopefully wish to be more dominating on D....Dante Exum..who we really havent seen the potential...