BYU football program receives four commitments

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2016 8:44 a.m.

Good choice, education matters. BYU is a top 100 academic university with sports to match.

• Jello is Good Inside Your Head, UT
    June 16, 2016 8:37 a.m.

@Tomahawk Red

"I get a feeling when I'm down at BYU that I don't get anywhere else. I go to other schools and I say to myself, 'This is cool and all, but it's not BYU.'"

LOL!"

--------

Wouldn't expect you to understand but did expect you not to mock. Hope that wasn't your intent.

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    June 16, 2016 12:44 a.m.

Stocking up on one and two star prospects could possibly help BYU take it up a level and hopefully move them forward to perhaps compete with the Aggies for second place in the state of Utah. Lamb is getting the same kids he got at SUU to come to Provo. I'm sure he is feeling good about the job he is doing.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    June 15, 2016 11:09 p.m.

Welcome to the program fellas! There's a new attitude in the football offices...it's a very family atmosphere from what I hear.

Next season will be fun, and speculation is certainly fun, but I think most BYU fans recognize there will be growing pains.

And it's always fun to see the usual suspects here supporting BYU, dressed in their very best red threads no doubt...Welcome to our living room gents.

GO COUGS!!

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2016 4:18 p.m.

I worked on the hill for several years during my career but attended BYU for school.
    There is a night and day difference without question between the two schools, and the gap has gotten wider since Utah joined the PAC.

The prevailing attitude now is win at all costs and toss any sense of an honor code out the window.

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2016 4:13 p.m.

Kimmy p,
    Of course they don't get the same feeling. Eat, drink, and be merry is a much different feeling than what you get at BYU.

• Tomahawk Red San Francisco, CA
    June 15, 2016 1:53 p.m.

LOL!

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    June 15, 2016 1:48 p.m.

@ Stiker,

totally agree with you!

One of these games BYU is probably going to have BYU RS groups knits those scores of conference championship flags together and create a dome over LES.

Absolutely true, BYU has done what fans wanted to see it do to an extent - the inability to close on some opportunities last year (blown-out by Michigan, close loss to UCLA, loss to Missouri, loss to Utah) then the fans will have what they want - that was Bronco's folly, great coach but he didn't connect the heart of the team with the fans.

Due to the emotional disconnect, big wins were big but losses were bigger than the wins - that's what I see as changing.

How can you be mad at Ty Detmer - the guy could be a disaster and BYU fans would love him for years, he's amazing in so many ways.

How can anybody not like Kalani, again the fans are loving the energy.

I'm so sick of the Big XII talk, we've got an awesome schedule, new coaches, some amazing players on offense, wish everybody could focus on what we have not what we don't' have.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 15, 2016 1:09 p.m.

BYU doesn't need a conference championship. They have dozens. They want exposure and got it with ESPN and annihilating Texas twice. Now they have one of the toughest schedules and recruits filing in like crazy. BYU is in prime shape for the future, so it's no wonder EVERYONE still loves to follow BYU by commenting on an article about recruits coming years from now.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 15, 2016 11:57 a.m.

midmajors forever

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    June 15, 2016 11:24 a.m.

I personally don't care much about a conference title game at the end of the season, perhaps I haven't had a taste of one where it means anything other than yet another flag to fly above LES stadium, BYU fans like me grew up in the days where it was a foregone conclusion that we were the conference champions each year.

BYU and Ute fans have something in common with the PAC championship games - we've never watched our own team compete for it.

Maybe Utah should play in a few PAC championship games and win one before you brag about how great that is.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    June 15, 2016 11:15 a.m.

Kimmy,

Bronco did indeed move on, and he doesn't represent the BYU fanbase, he represented himself and that was part of the problem with Bronco and why a guy who could have 10 and 11 win seasons and went bowling each year wasn't loved by the fans.

BYU went to independence when Utah went to the PAC, and Utah had a few years sitting home in December while they figured out their new system while BYU had a few years to figure out how to line up big games - both teams had growing pains, one by losing a lot of games and the other by finding a better way to schedule.

Look at BYU's future schedules including this year, not too shabby! Let's put that argument to rest, it's a pretty dumb tired one as some people have BYU's schedule stronger than Utah's this year (personally I don't know and don't care what a projected SOS might be, it means nothing to me unless my team is going to the playoffs, not a chance for either BYU or Utah).

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 15, 2016 10:49 a.m.

Coach 'em up.

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    June 15, 2016 10:11 a.m.

Ranger,
    While it is true BYU has upgraded their schedule, it has taken 6 years, and it isn't as if they play those teams every year. Just a few sprinkled in among the cupcakes each season.

And, the players at BYU will never have the opportunity to play for a conference title, at the end of the regular season. Instead, that's when the cream puff portion of the schedule kicks in. I'm just saying even Bronco got disillusioned with that reality,and moved on, but most of the fan base can't figure it out.

• Jello is Good Inside Your Head, UT
    June 15, 2016 10:03 a.m.

@KimmyP
    "Yes, it's true. Players don't get the same feeling at Utah, Stanford, or even Alabama as they do at BYU. Because at the others schools players can see how it feels to play in a P5 conference, against P5 competition week after week. At BYU, you can play Wagner, Savannah State, Middle Tennessee State, and New Mexico State."

Really? That's all you got? So tired and played out.

• WalkerTexas Ranger Greeley, CO
    June 15, 2016 9:40 a.m.

Kimmie P......You forgot to mention LSU, ASU, Mich St, Utah, W Virginia, Boise St, UCLA, Washington, Cal, Texas, Miss St, Cincinnati, Wisconsin and Missouri.....just helpin ya out there big guy....

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    June 15, 2016 9:26 a.m.

• Jello is Good Inside Your Head, UT
    June 15, 2016 9:20 a.m.

@Hugo

"I still say Sitake and his coaching staff are going to have more first year growing pains than BYU fans are expecting though. I really hope Cougars don't throw him under the bus when this year doesn't go as they expect."

There are Optimists (delusional) in all fan bases. I think most rational fans are looking at between 6-8 wins this year. Anything more and it will be a magical season. If we can live through Crowton and the last few years of Bronco's quirkiness, I'm sure we'll give one of our own a bit more rope.

• Hugo West Jordan, UT
    June 15, 2016 8:25 a.m.

These sound like good recruits. Congrats to BYU. Sitake has always been a good recruiter and it looks like he is continuing that trend at BYU.

• Jello is Good Inside Your Head, UT
    June 15, 2016 8:18 a.m.

@Tom in South Carolina

"I find it very difficult to root against Sitaki. I want only good things for him, except when the Utes play them. I want to seem him do well; I want to see Gary Andersen do well at OSU. They are both, the way I see things, still part of the Ute family, and I want to see them do well."

We feel the same way about Whittingham still being a part of the Cougar family along with Sitake. A couple of Lavell's boys.

• Tom in South Carolina Surfside Beach, SC
    June 15, 2016 7:52 a.m.

• Jello is Good Inside Your Head, UT
    June 15, 2016 7:48 a.m.

@CO Ute
    "so you are saying that LDS kids can't get the same feeling by attending Stanford, Utah, or even Alabama? Funny how a lot of athletes really enjoy their time at other institutions that aren't in Provo."

There are many 1st rate universities all over the country and they offer socially and educationally a great experience. Many LDS kids attend these institutions and thrive and love it there. But what is different at BYU is that there is a religious aspect promoted at the school that helps young people grow spiritually. If you are not LDS, you may not agree.

My daughter is a HS Jr. with a 3.6 GPA and good SAT's. They are just not quite good enough to get in to BYU. I want her to leave MD and go to a school where there are many other kids that believe the way she does. Right now she is leaning towards UofU or Weber St. I support her decision either way and she will do great.

(See, I do like Utah, just not some of the zealots.)

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2016 7:46 a.m.

Since he said NO to the utes will mean that the utes really didn't want him anyway.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    June 15, 2016 7:44 a.m.

Pretty cool to see a kid from Spokane sigh with BYU. Last year, Scott Peck, from Central Valley signed with Utah. Spokane pumps out a few D 1 players each year. Best of luck to Cambell Barrington at BYU.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 14, 2016 9:44 p.m.

People should have a good attitude wherever they go, and we all have different comfort zones.

• G-Day-M8 Where is Waldo, UT
    June 14, 2016 9:22 p.m.

Co Ute:

First, excuse my terrible sentence structure in my first post. I must have consumed to much blue kool aid.

You are the only one who wrote; "LDS kids should be expected." No one else said it but you. London_Josh didn't say it, Ute Buster didn't say it. Kalani Sitake didn't say it.

Either Inferiority is transparent, or there is a serious, hate all things BYU feeling, that some ute fans expect other ute fans to have.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    June 14, 2016 8:25 p.m.

Co Ute,

"Wish people would be more like Sitake and not take the attitude the LDS kids should be expected to go to BYU"

Yeah, not really.

Perhaps you missed the article today about how BYU is scouring the world looking for the best LDS talent, enjoy the quote from Sitaki:

“We’re going to focus on the LDS athlete first, regardless of where they’re at. We’re trying to find them and recruit them and do our best to convince them that BYU’s the place for them to be. We’re going to search the whole world, to be honest with you. We’re calling out all LDS faithful. . . “They shouldn’t feel obligated just because they’re LDS to come to BYU. We should do our job as recruiters and coaches to make them feel wanted and welcomed at our school, There’s a bunch of really good LDS athletes out there . . . I’m excited that there’s a bunch of guys that are out there representing the church the right way."

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    June 14, 2016 8:20 p.m.

Co Ute,

There are tons and tons of jabs at how BYU is "different", and BYU is indeed different, and some of those differences are highlighted in comments like Pay made.

Yes, a lot of others do really enjoy their time when they aren't at BYU - that comment only punctuates the point that others have been inferring to, BYU is different and the activities kids engage in are also different. I'm not saying good or bad because that's subjective and foolish to think that all others places are "bad", there is a good on every college campus and bad at BYU, but there is also a certain feeling and religious overtone at BYU that uniquely attracts some kids who wouldn't enjoy other schools.

To each his own, right?

• G-Day-M8 Where is Waldo, UT
    June 14, 2016 8:10 p.m.

Co Ute:

I think you read into Ute buster's comment, things he did't say. It was Conner Pay who said "I get a feeling when I'm down at BYU that I don't get anywhere else,"

Who said anything about an attitude that LDS kids should be expected to go to BYU? I sure didn't eat it in the article. Even so, If there are people who that think that way, why should that be your business? I don't believe it's my business to criticize a Ute fan who may feel the same about a Utah commit who loves the Utah.

I wish people would let people be people and not have their thoughts policed.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    June 14, 2016 7:46 p.m.

@Utebester - so you are saying that LDS kids can't get the same feeling by attending Stanford, Utah, or even Alabama? Wish people would be more like Sitake and not take the attitude the LDS kids should be expected to go to BYU. Funny how a lot of athletes really enjoy their time at other institutions that aren't in Provo.

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2016 5:50 p.m.

He is spot on. He won't get that same feeling anywhere else.

• CougMan San Diego, CA
    June 14, 2016 5:15 p.m.

Wow, Chris B is that really you?? Are you going soft on us, by being magnanimous towards a BYU commit, or are you just temporally being kind because Sitiki and the BYU Coaches sang the U fight song for losing that charity event to the Ute Coaches?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2016 3:47 p.m.

Congrats to him and byu.

Must be a good player