After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for justice in day care abuse case

Delay after delay after delay has been 'living nightmare,' parents say

• AreaReader Suburbs, AZ
    May 5, 2016 6:41 a.m.

Uncle_Fester says, "Yeah she's walking around free, that's because she's not been convicted of any crime. What is the problem with that exactly?"

The problem is that a trial should have been held and justice should have been served six years ago. Shame on the courts for allowing this to happen.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    May 2, 2016 8:39 p.m.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    May 2, 2016 8:39 p.m.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

• Capsaicin Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2016 2:11 p.m.

Daycare. I honestly have no idea why anyone would willingly put their kids into one of these places. No only do they cost a bundle, you're leaving your kid up to a total stranger. I can understand babysitting services for a couple hours, but daycare implies 6+ hours leaving your kids in the hands of supposedly trained professionals with very little state/city oversight. No way I'd do it.

• Bumperboo Polson, MT
    May 2, 2016 1:52 p.m.

When I first started this article, I was skeptical about the abuse and was willing to give the day care owner the benefit of the doubt. After reading the extent of these children's injuries, I am outraged over the lack of any meaningful investigation into what goes on in this woman's day care center. Thankfully, the children have survived their ordeal, but this woman obviously needs to be investigated, shut down, prosecuted or at least and given the help she obviously needs to stop her physical abuse of children. Being the grandmother of two children who experienced abuse in a day care center, I am all for taking a hard stand on this issue.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    May 2, 2016 12:36 p.m.

I issue my strongest possible condemnation to child abuse of any form.

• Edwards Street Payson, UT
    May 2, 2016 12:04 p.m.

I'm so sorry for these three brave families who have had to endure abuse and injustice without a day in court for six long years. I'm sad for their children and grateful there has been tremendous healing in spite of the inefficiencies of this long process. I hope that my voice is just one among very many that calls for justice at last!

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2016 8:32 a.m.

The inefficiencies and ineffectiveness of big government are nowhere more apparent than in the woeful performance of the so-called "justice" system.

I've been going through a similar six-year struggle within a class-action law suit against a person who has absconded with tens of millions of dollars. And yet, with all of the evidence of his crimes piled up and obvious to all he is still able to use the legal system against itself to forestall any effective action to bring him to justice. And, in the meantime, the lawyers and others in the vast, lumbering machinery of the legal system are paid handsomely to attend hearings, file charges and appeals, and basically shuffle papers.

The dysfunctions of the legal system start with ineffectiveness in actually enforcing law, such as the ridiculous negligence in border enforcement and immigration policies, it continues with outright corruptions of law, such as the misuse of power by the IRS and ERA, and culminates in an inability to even effectively address criminal behavior as horrible as those detailed in the cases of blatant child abuse outlined in this article.

We MUST turn ourselves around.

• mercy Sandy, UT
    May 2, 2016 8:17 a.m.

I am so sorry, it is so unfair and my heart is broken for all of you. Love your children and keep on trying to prosecute, don't give up. Children are so precious and innocent and I am proud of all of you for persisting in your efforts for justice. Praying for all of you. love to all children involved. mercy

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 2, 2016 7:50 a.m.

Our legal system in this country / state is a joke. Too many laws and lawyers to protect the criminals. 6 years??
    Get rid of lawyers and create a system that brings swift and harsh punishment for criminals. There should be laws that regulate how long a case can go before either trial or sentencing.
    Absolutely ridiculous!!

• Uncle_Fester Niskayuna, NY
    May 2, 2016 6:28 a.m.

These cases are always difficult but I am usually much more suspicious of parents and other relatives than day care settings where anyone could happen to walk in. Articles like this which demonstrate a complete forfeiture of the purpose of the Fourth Estate which ought to be reporting free of bias, instead attempt to foment anxiety about the process -you know actually proving who did what and when- and are not helpful. Justice is not merely a quick conviction or if the McMartin Pre-School case is any example any conviction at all, nor is it the pre-determined outcome these people seem to expect. Yeah she's walking around free, that's because she's not been convicted of any crime. What is the problem with that exactly?

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    May 1, 2016 8:00 p.m.

My commendations to McKenzie Romero for taking the time and effort to write an understandable and clear account of what has happened with three young victims and their families. That those in authority should allow this case to drag on for so long is inexcusable. The child care giver is obviously a manipulator and irresponsible person, who should have not been permitted to retain a child care business after the first incident. This certainly doesn't do much for confidence in the justice system!