Should your boss know that you keep the Sabbath?

• Mel50 Nashville, TN
    May 23, 2016 8:45 p.m.

I'm a hairstylist in a family haircutting shop, and I've worked more than my share of Sundays over the last 30+ years. I went inactive for many years, and a few years ago when I was feeling the promptings to return to church, I told my boss I could no longer work Sundays. She reminded me that if I wasn't available all shifts I would be considered part-time and wouldn't be guaranteed hours, and promptly cut me down to 20 hours or less a week, causing me significant financial hardship. I endured and ultimately had to threaten legal action but finally won my Sundays off and still be full-time. And I love getting to go to church every Sunday and the opportunity to have callings and other responsibilities.

• Utes11 Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 19, 2016 1:39 p.m.

I'm a Manager of a Fitness Center that is open every day of the week. 95% of my employees want Sunday off.
    the remaining 5% is not enough staff to open up and run the facility. Here in our "unique" culture in Utah I HAVE to make some people work on Sundays. I let them know that it is part of the job when they are hired....yet later on I still get resistance to working on a Sunday. I've had to even do written warnings for workers not showing up to scheduled shifts. Now I am labeled as "anti-Mormon". What the heck????

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    May 19, 2016 1:32 p.m.

Regardless of your reasons why, if you have a schedule need/requirement/desire, then the best way to make sure it's met is to be open and upfront about it. Whether you want Sundays/Saturdays off for the Sabbath, want to come in late on Monday Tuesdays and Wednesdays for morning yoga, or want your weekend in the middle of the week so you can go on a daytrip to grandma (but work through the normal weekend), the more upfront and direct you are, the more likely your needs will be met.

It might have some job impacts. If you are unwilling to work Sundays, that will close a lot of service jobs unless your availability elsewhere makes up for it. But that's why it's the responsibility of everyone, as individuals, to choose, and then stand-by, their priorities.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 18, 2016 8:08 p.m.

I am much more likely to accept a job with no sunday work. I have had busy seasons where I worked 7 days a week for months at a time but I was usually able to accomodate going to church at some point.

I have found that most employers outside service industries don't like Sunday work any more than I do.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 18, 2016 8:44 a.m.

Sundays are the best day to get outside for a hike, bike ride or to ski. That is some of the holiest ways to spend time.
    Also, Costco is never crowded on Sundays in Utah.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    May 17, 2016 1:36 a.m.

LOL! We put so much unneeded stress on ourselves by worrying about minis-cure things like this. I'm sticking with "Oinko Boinko" with their song, "Just Another Day" when it comes to Sunday. If I make it to church, great, if not, great. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I would rather be working on Sunday than to sit among-st gossipers who thinks that so and so is a "menace to society" for being single after a year or more post mission life.....LOL!

• jeanie orem, UT
    May 16, 2016 11:36 a.m.

As a teenager I did not accept a fast food job because I would have had to work on Sundays. However, a few years later I worked as a nurse's aid at a rest home. Often my shift fell on a Sunday. Like the nurse said in a previous comment, I felt it made a Sunday more holy serving those who needed help. I never asked for Sundays off. The residence needed care every day of the week and if I didn't work, someone else would need to. I really didn't mind and even though I was being paid I didn't feel I was breaking the Sabbath.

• iNKSpot Wilsonville, OR
    April 30, 2016 8:23 a.m.

When our daughter was in high school, she worked at a local fast food restaurant. At the outset, she made it plain that she would only come on Sunday in an emergencies. For the first month or two, "emergencies" happened about every other Sunday. One Sunday morning the restaurant called while I was up early studying. When I told them that she did not work on Sundays, they promised not to bother They never called on Sunday again. Later she worked as a supervisor in a department store. After she had been scheduled several times for Sunday work, she approached Human Resources that one of her staff was a Sabbath observer. When the HR person learned that it was her, the response was, "you only have to be here one Sunday between Thanksgiving and Christmas and one Sunday during the half-yearly sale in the spring." It has been our experience that any employer who will not allow you to observe the Sabbath is not worth working for.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    April 28, 2016 6:03 p.m.

I own a freelance consulting company with offices in the US and China, everybody knows my religious rules.

In the US everybody understands it.

In China it's difficult to understand, they don't know why I don't work on Monday's until 2pm in their afternoon (Sunday in the US), they don't understand why I won't drink green or black tea, but generally they hit the point in which they understand and respect my wishes and realize that's part of who I am.

Growing up I had a few jobs that I had to work on Sunday for, my bosses were always very respectful, at the same time I feel like there is an obligation that if you are getting out of work on a Sunday you should keep the whole sabbath and not use one excuse to get out of work and then go home and forget that's it's a special day - people take the day too casually in my opinion.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2016 11:15 a.m.

I doubt this will have any meaning at all to LDS people, since I am gay and clearly it is unacceptable for members to consider that I believe in God! You know, I missed something!!! I really did! Oh, I have tried for over thirty years . I thought for sure they cared!Have you noticed. lately, how much spying is going on among you? Do you even care when it is doing extreme damage to a fellow member? Or is it just easier to go along as they humiliate a rape victim? Have you even considered what it does? Pain, damage, more than you can ever know unless you have been there! THe key word is " INTENTION! " You know, you should realize that the intent is not good!
    Sadness! If there is no love, the church and beliefs mean "NOTHING!" Treating a person differently, depending on how much they go to church, well, you get what you want! Just pray that you don't have the pleasant reality check that sincere love for you is probably an illusion! Don't think that they all see it like you do!

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    April 28, 2016 8:43 a.m.

@Curmudgeon.
    Thanks for the correction on the scriptural reference. Need to read my scriptures more. Perhaps this Sunday…

@bamaphone.
    Fair point on more fences to keep our oxen out of the mire.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    April 27, 2016 9:30 p.m.

Is this the same "poll" that over sampled people that identify as Jewish or LDS? I would think if religion wants to continue to claim moral authority that the paper that represents one of them may want to make clear that this poll is not an accurate reflection of the general american publics attitudes. Of course not print several articles that all engage in false dictomies, either you keep the sabbeth or you do it engage in a day of rest, would help too.

• Seagull Suz Sandy, UT
    April 27, 2016 7:42 p.m.

...the majority of my work life was in healthcare...I worked my share of Sunday's in a 7 day x 24 hour environment...serving others did not seem to me to be a problem on the Sabbath...if one's work schedule includes a shift on your religious holiday and a schedule cannot be accommodated for your special day..you might need to think about other employment....

• bamafone Salem, UT
    April 27, 2016 7:41 p.m.

Pretty interesting how often that ox falls in the mire, a fence could help out.

• citygrrl SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 27, 2016 6:09 p.m.

Thank you, Noodlekaboodle, for pointing out that an insistence on having Sundays off means that co-workers can't always get their time off when they would like. It's fine to speak up and say you prefer not to work on Sundays, but please, people, be cognizant that your religious beliefs may not be everyone's, and may impose hardship on others.

And blackattack, not EVERYONE keeps the Sabbath the same way the dominant religion in Utah does. Catholics are required to attend Mass once a week and on Holy Days of Obligation, but they are free to shop, eat out, recreate, etc. Their activities shouldn't be limited to Monday through Saturday just because some people are confined to church and home on Sundays. Nor should anyone else's.

• KJR Alpine, UT
    April 27, 2016 5:51 p.m.

Unless you are at a very small company, one way to to minimize the impact is to rotate with others to share the burden. We also need to remember that there was a time, not so long ago, where "keeping the Sabbath, included stoking the fire, boiling water, feeding the chickens, slopping the hogs, milking the cows, and hitching up the horses before heading off to Church.

• andrejules Midway, UT
    April 27, 2016 5:35 p.m.

From the day after I graduated from high school I worked at radio and TV broadcasting stations.
    They operate 7 days a week. Back then, when you were looking to go on an LDS mission you had to be interviewed by a General Authority so I had a chance to talk at the SCERA theater with Church Patriarch Eldred G. Smith and Apostle Richard L. Evans (for many years the voice of the Tabernacle Choir on Sundays). They both explained that there are some jobs which do require work on the Sabbath, what we need to do is see that we do our best to fulfill our church responsibilities along with our work duties. Many times I have gone straight from overnight work to a Bishopric meeting or slipped into a Sacrament meeting a little late. While working at the Church's short wave station Radio New York Worldwide, I rarely had to work on Sundays as I helped cover our many Jewish workers on Saturdays and on Jewish Holidays.

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    April 27, 2016 5:02 p.m.

@Vermonter:

Contrary to popular belief, there is no reference in the Bible, whether Old or New Testament, about any ox being in the mire. You are probably thinking of Luke 14:5: "Which of you shall have an [--- the actual word wouldn't get past the moderators] or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day?"

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    April 27, 2016 4:14 p.m.

Thirty-five years ago, in Logan, most stores closed on Sundays. The population has remained largely LDS but more businesses now open on Sundays.

• CDM1525 West Point, UT
    April 27, 2016 2:46 p.m.

I can see it working against an employee in Utah the opposite of that employee doesn't keep the sabbath day holy. I've seen instances where preferential treatment is afforded those that are LDS over those non-LDS employees. To this day, working in Utah, I will never let people I work with know my religion or lack there.

• blackattack Orem, UT
    April 27, 2016 2:32 p.m.

As a teenager, it was difficult to find a job that didn't require working on a Sunday. I wanted to make a regular exception to my beliefs and my mom taught me an important lesson that the Sabbath is more important than money.

Of course, some jobs require it and I agree with many of the comments that one should work a Sunday if all reasonable accommodations have been made.

One way to alleviate this issue is to limit what one does on a sabbath because businesses will meet demand.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    April 27, 2016 1:43 p.m.

If an employer really values the employees he/she will do whatever it takes to accommodate. If I work somewhere I'm not happy then I'll be out looking for another job. And if I don't speak up then I'll be less content at my job anyway...

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 27, 2016 12:40 p.m.

My son told his fast-food manager that he would take any hours and do any nasty job to be able to have Sundays off. They accommodated him, and to some extent, took advantage of his offer. After not too long, it just became accepted and he was accommodated.

More difficult to do in Utah than Eastern Washington, but if you don't ask, it's a lot harder.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    April 27, 2016 12:22 p.m.

It really depends on where you work, I used to run a restaurant in Davis County that had Sunday hours, and was right next to a freeway off ramp, so we were still very busy, even on Sunday. Every single employee of the store told me they didn't want to work Sunday, and complained bitterly on their one day a month rotation they worked on Sundays. I guess my point is, yes, if one person wants to take Sunday's off for a business that is open on Sunday the employer should be able to accommodate them, but you also have to consider that you're insistence on not working Sundays may be forcing others, who also would prefer the day off for the same religious reasons, to work. Bottom line, if you get a job at a business that is open Sunday's you should be willing to work the occasional Sunday, or find a job somewhere that isn't open Sunday instead.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    April 27, 2016 12:07 p.m.

I agree that it can be counterproductive to wear your religion on your sleeve. But, it usually does not hurt an employee if they tell their boss upfront that they “prefer” Sundays off. Most employers are reasonable enough to avoid giving you Sunday work if they value you as an employee. But, it’s also a good employee that tells the boss they will work Sunday if there is an emergency need. At least Christian workers should be ok with this, as there is something in the Old Testament about the “ox being in the mire.”

• Carlos71 Tempe, AZ
    April 27, 2016 11:57 a.m.

I work in IT and have done so for the last 34 years. Having to do system maintenance on weekends has been and is an inevitable part of the job. I strive to keep the Sabbath day holy as much as it depends on me, but not inflexibly. The Lord expects observance of the Sabbath day from everyone, which includes my teammates. It doesn't seem right to me to look for an exception for myself that would transfer that workload to another teammate. Therefore, I share on the weekend workload with everybody else as long as that workload is necessary and inevitable, and I feel that this is fair.

• Sitting Under a Tree Grantsville, UT
    April 27, 2016 11:25 a.m.

One of the companies I regularly purchase from, B&H, closes their physical and online stores for the Sabbath and all Jewish holidays. I respect and honor them for doing so, and gladly deal with the occasional inconvenience this causes me. Good on them and their employees for honoring the Sabbath.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    April 27, 2016 11:13 a.m.

I've never worked on Sunday, and I've had to quit a job once because they scheduled me after I told them I wouldn't do it.

My family has always had what we needed and much more because of this.

Stand up for what's right, let the consequences follow no matter what.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 27, 2016 10:58 a.m.

The "weekend" as we know it was a victory of organized labor, not religion. Please remember that. Andrew Carnegie's steel mill employees got only one day off per YEAR! I think it was the 4th of July, subject to check.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    April 27, 2016 9:47 a.m.

Businesses don't think people should be given any rest. It shouldn't be any of their business, though, whether you attend church or "keep the Sabbath day holy" or not.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 27, 2016 8:29 a.m.

Saturdays are always a busy day.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    April 27, 2016 8:21 a.m.

What if you don't "keep the sabbath day holy?" Some bosses will hold that against you. So, best to not even wear your religion on your sleeve in the workplace.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    April 27, 2016 5:48 a.m.

My boss knows I will do just about anything to not work on Sunday. Sometimes, it's unavoidable. In the Automotive world weekend work usually means some sort of an emergency but usually I can arrange my schedule to work around Sundays. Then again I'm a salary employee. If I was hourly it would require a lot more effort on my part and a lot more accommodation with other folks. Still, I think colleagues are usually willing to work around religious beliefs.

As long as I'm willing to cover a Jewish colleague on Saturday I'm sure he'll cover me on Sunday.