Poll: Honesty and integrity top traits Utahns value

• RichMcDuck Tempe, AZ
    May 25, 2016 1:24 p.m.

Honesty & integrity must NOT matter to the Utahans who voted for Mitt in 2012. Mitt did NOT have the integrity (honesty) or courage (bravery) to tell the truth about President Obama's place of birth or to "shout at the devil" (the donald & all birthers). He made hypocrites of a million+ Mormons who included him in their prayers at night and would "bare false witness" against the President of the United States the next day. Mitt, you are a disgrace!

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 21, 2016 3:06 p.m.

1st ave
    nor do I support trump. I think I did explain why hilary's supporters cheered when she refused to address her credibility issues - they don't care.

I think the same can probably said for trump supporters - they are so disgusted with BO, hilary and everything the dems have foisted on them, they would accept anything over hilary.

• 1st avenue New York, NY
    March 21, 2016 2:16 p.m.

@lost
    so liberals acknowledge she has an honesty problem (I cannot explain why some would choose the cheer that) yet we hear nothing from Trump supporters who refuse to even acknowledge his dishonesty. The funny thing is Trump has flat out said he will lie tf he think it will give him an advantage yet his supporters refuse to acknowledge he lacks honesty and integrity. As I stated before I do not care for either one of them and think they represent everything that is wrong with our current primary election process.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 21, 2016 11:46 a.m.

Furry, 1st Ave,
    Even liberals acknowledge hilary has a problem with her credibility. There was an interesting graphic in the print version of the DN, it showed that only 45% of dems cared about honesty and integrity. When asked in a debate how she would address her credibility issues, she did not dodge the question, but flat out refused to even answer. She said something like, “we’re not even going to go there”. What is really sad is her supporters cheered, making it very apparent they do NOT care about honesty and integrity.

Imperial7,
    we were talking national politics, but you could not resist, could you?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 21, 2016 4:56 a.m.

Honesty & Integrity? Those are noble attributes. However, one just needs to look at our Utah Legislature to know that those attributes don't apply locally.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 21, 2016 12:13 a.m.

@RC in WJ,

You said:

'Is it possible that there are very few Honest politicians with integrity, and those that are honest find it not worth the effort to fight the establishment, be it Right or Left!'

Very much so! I do feel Trump is honest with integrity, and loves this country. Not everything in his life has been perfect, but he will do what's best for the country.

He's got the backbone to fight the establishment, and I'm glad he finds it worth the effort.

The fact of Democrats, Republicans, and media, fighting against him, tells me he's different, and perhaps what we need.

It would take someone of his arrogance, self confidence, and backbone to heal this nation.

• sunshinegirl Midvale, UT
    March 20, 2016 5:18 p.m.

I think Utah people are up in the night if they would vote a Democrat in over Donald Trump. If they want honesty, then they are certainly blind folded if they think Hillary or Sanders would be truthful. Come on Utah I have a hard time believing this is how you feel.
    I don't approve of Trumps vulgarity either but when it comes to Trump vs Hillary or Bernie I'd vote for Trump in a heartbeat. Right at this point I lean toward Ted Cruz, but there are things about him that concern me too. If Trump or Cruz can put this Nation back on its feet, I'll learn to deal with some of the language from Trump.

I pray every night that Gods hand will be in the decision making of who will be in charge of this great Nation come November.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    March 20, 2016 1:34 p.m.

@lost in DC 7:35 a.m. March 20, 2016

Interesting that the next headline down says utahns would pick hilary over trump, when she has no honesty nor integrity, so I guess we really do not value those traits

------------------

In truth, no politician has either honesty nor integrity. Those qualities just don't come with the "job". That being said, Ms. Clinton and Sen. Sanders are less lacking in those qualities than any of the Republicans who have been in the race or have been discussed/suggested in connection with becoming President. That's truly a sad commentary about what it means to be a politician.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    March 20, 2016 12:31 p.m.

Re: Worf

" I don't think this nation is capable of electing a person with honesty and integrity. They will believe the lies."

Here's a thought and question! Is it possible that there are very few Honest politicians with integrity, and those that are honest find it not worth the effort to fight the establishment, be it Right or Left!

• Viva la Migra Denver, CO
    March 20, 2016 12:05 p.m.

If you read Romney's "endorsement' of Cruz carefully, you'll see that he doesn't really support Cruz - he just thinks he can get Utahns to support him in overwhelming numbers - so the establishment can get their brokered convention and bestow a more worthy candidate, like Paul Ryan, or maybe even Romney again on us.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 20, 2016 12:00 p.m.

Regrettably, honesty and integrity are liabilities to a candidate. Nobody with those values could fundraise a campaign sized war chest. You have to sell out.

• Chuck E. Racer Lehi, UT
    March 20, 2016 11:16 a.m.

I hate the term "fiscal conservative" mentioned in the article. Shoot, everybody's a "fiscal conservative! What it really means is that they don't want to pay for all the stuff they still want!

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    March 20, 2016 10:08 a.m.

Would Utah for General Patton for president? Probably not. Yes, Patton had idiosyncrasies but He was America's tool to get us out of a pickle with Germany. Now we need someone to get Americans heads out of the sand. Americans have become "cowardish". Would Utah vote for President Kennedy knowing all the women he had but he helped America. What if Utah was a Mexican border state? Then Utah would be a major drug highway. Clinton's "We are a village" is too hippie while the terrorist flow in through the border and threaten our families. We Americans are too thin skinned and get our feelings hurt easily. What happen to the tough America. At least Trump is honest and not politically correct. The Washington politicians know nothing beyond the "Beltway"; all we hear is scandal after scandal over there. No Leadership

• 1st avenue New York, NY
    March 20, 2016 9:41 a.m.

@lost
    So do you think Trump is any more honest or has any more integrity then Clinton? I think these two appittimize our political race to the bottom.

• David Lloyd-Jones Toronto, 00
    March 20, 2016 9:06 a.m.

I agree with SFSteveS about the Republican side. On the values and integrity question, I'd say Kasich has it pretty much sewn up. On the plain question of factual honesty, he's number one in a race with only one runner. On the important question of Medicare and Obamneycare, I don't think he has acted well. It's simply that he is alone among Republican Governors in not being actively and aggressively wicked. He is alone among them in not working hard to deny his poorer constituents health insurance.

On the Democratic side, I respectfully disagree with Steve. He has swallowed some GOP talking points, seems to me. It's pretty clear that both the excellent Bernie and the very fine Hillary have made some mistakes in their lives. I think that Hillary's integrity is solid, and her "dishonesties" have been honest errors. I'd call it 50-50 on Utah values.

Last note: I am unsurprised that a largely Mormon audience would rate religion low on their list of things to consider. Values transcend religious affiliations, and sectarian considerations have no place in politics.

-dlj.

• Elsleuith Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 20, 2016 8:02 a.m.

If Utah really values honesty and integrity they wouldn't vote Clinton.

• Utah_Happyman Orem, UT
    March 20, 2016 7:53 a.m.

Cruz has no family values. One must only look at his family relationships. Family unity is not a dictatorship.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    March 20, 2016 7:35 a.m.

• SFSteveS SF, CA
    March 20, 2016 4:07 a.m.

‘Poll: Honesty and integrity top traits Utahns value’

well, so much for Hilary ... Cruz is pretty much toast too ... Trump is a farce ...

so, it's either Kasich or Bernie and I just don't think the majority of citizens in this country are ready for a Scandinavian-style socialist government ...

if the poll is accurate, it would seem Kasich is the next Pres ... I'm with Utah on this one

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 20, 2016 1:23 a.m.

Honesty and integrity are great, but can people recognize it when it's there?

Can people see through all the propaganda, and deceit, to vote in an honest person with integrity? Good candidates are falsely demonized, and people will believe it.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this nation is capable of electing a person with honesty and integrity. They will believe the lies.