Trump says he loves Mormons, but Romney not so much

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    March 23, 2016 1:14 a.m.

Kasik is ten times the man that Donald Trump is. Would you like The Donald for a next door neighbor. I doubt it.

• Bumperboo Polson, MT
    March 22, 2016 8:10 p.m.

If only Dems would get smart and nominate Bernie, there would be no need for any what-ifs among republicans. None of them would have chance against good common sense Sanders.

• Lib Living on Planet Zion SLC, UT
    March 22, 2016 1:21 p.m.

@CrayonQueen

"Trump has been very generous to MANY people, he just doesn't call the media to advertise it".

First off. The day Trump doesn't advertise is a day the Sun doesn't rise and set! Secondly. If this is the case how do you have access to this information?

"I have done extensive research, that David Duke of the KKK never endorsed Trump because he stated that on his website".

Well there you have it! It's on Trump's website so it possibly couldn't be true or could it be? Apparently your research wasn't very "extensive".

“Voting for these people, voting against Donald Trump at this point, is really treason to your heritage.” {David Duke Politico 2/25/16}

“He’s meant a lot for the human rights of European Americans.” {D.D. Politico 2/25/16}

"Trump understands the real sentiment of America.” {D.D. The Root/NBC 8/25/15}

In conclusion. Born and raised in New York so unfortunately I'm quite familiar with Trump. He stands for bigotry, misogyny and intolerance just to name a few. Fortunately myself and the majority of America does not. Welcome Madame President!

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    March 22, 2016 10:31 a.m.

@NorCal

Two statements by Joseph Smith are consistent with the church's position.

In 1843, Smith said:

"If it has been demonstrated that I have been willing to die for a Mormon,' I am bold to declare before Heaven that I am just as ready to die in defending the rights of a Presbyterian, a Baptist or a good man of any denomination; for the same principle which would trample upon the rights of the LDS would trample upon the rights of the Catholics, or of any other denomination who may be unpopular and too weak to defend themselves. It is a love of liberty which inspires my soul & civil and religious liberty to the whole of the human race."

"Be it ordained by the City Council of the City of Nauvoo, that the Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists, Latter-day Saints, Quakers, Episcopals, Universalists, Unitarians, Mohammedans [Muslims] and all other religious sects and denominations whatever, shall have free toleration, and equal privileges in this city"
    {DN News 12/8/15}

"They're not coming to this country if I'm president. And if Obama has brought some to this country they are leaving, they're going, they're gone." {Trump 12/16/15}

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    March 22, 2016 10:04 a.m.

re Bob K

"Of course Trump is being Trump -- with all that entails. My guess is that many DN readers will not understand how much harm Romney has done himself nationally with this attempt to derail Trump after the train has long left the station."

Every time, Willard opens his mouth he reminds me of George HW Bush at the grocery store perplexed by bar code scanners.

• CrayonQueen Las Vegas, NV
    March 21, 2016 8:26 p.m.

TO: Lib living on Planet Utah

RE:
    "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel
    to go through the eye of a needle than for
    a rich man to enter the kingdom of God".
    {Matthew 19:24}

That is what the scriptures say, because many of the rich do not do anything for anyone else, however Trump has been very generous to MANY people, he just doesn't call the media to advertise it.

Romans 3:23 - For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. I will not pretend to know what anyone's personal relationship with the Lord is. That is between them.

I DO know because I have done extensive research, that David Duke of the KKK never endorsed Trump because he stated that on his website.

After looking into facts about the other candidates, I think Trump is the best. He's brash but can be very polished you just need to know him!

• NorCalCoug Shingle Springs, CA
    March 21, 2016 4:50 p.m.

Dear "Faith + Virtue + Knowledge", Utah County, UT

Please provide a link to the LDS Church website where the Church spoke out against Donald Trump.

For that matter, please provide a link from the Trump campaign, or a direct Trump quote where he gave a call to limit religious freedom for Muslims.

• Tmygrants Springfield USA, MO
    March 21, 2016 1:02 p.m.

To me as a mormon, this is no longer about an election. Personally, it has called the church itself into question. How could any church not say a word about their religion being used to gain votes, fame and wealth. When Trump made this statement he said it in humor because it's clear that Romney is against him, yet many mormons are for him. This is using our religion to slander another person. Seeing these corruptions done in the name of mormonism has stained the purity of our religion. These things have made me cry for days. None of these things should be done/said in the name of mormonism. I'm so heartbroken.

• Karthu South Jordan, UT
    March 21, 2016 10:46 a.m.

@Impartial7

They're not arguing over whether or not Trump loves Mormons, they're arguing on Trump being two-faced and hallow, just telling you what you want to hear. There are plenty of people that feel less than "love" for Mormons.

• Ssmith555 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2016 9:09 a.m.

A vote for Cruz/Kasich in the primaries is a vote for Hillary in the general because it enables a contested convention scenario to occur which will allow the GOP establishment to deny Trump, and supporters like me will not reward Ted Cruz and all of the Superpacs that have spent almost 100 million dollars in attack ads against Trump. Google Ted Cruz Dominionism. Ted Cruz has never managed people or created anything but rhetoric.

• hilary nottingham, 00
    March 21, 2016 8:40 a.m.

A good businessman, like a good soldier, does not necessarily mean they are good politicians,and running a country is manifestly not like running a business. Business is just one facet of a many faceted jewel. A good diplomat for a start should possess empathy and intellect, healthcare worldwide is moving through vast changes - and then there is the 'military'. Trump cannot sack or get rid of people as a politician just because they disagree with him or walk a different political path. No country's leader works things solely alone. He will be a figurehead and have his strings jerked by the faceless manipulators behind him, just like all the rest.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    March 21, 2016 8:21 a.m.

"The emperor has no clothes!"

(For the benefit of the moderators: Mr Trump talks and talks and says nothing. And the peasants are to unwilling to admit it. Far from "off topic")

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    March 20, 2016 5:21 p.m.

@CrayonQueen wrote, "Once reporters reported the truth, now they insert their biases & emotions to suit their agenda & create sensationalism."

Yes, once they did. That was before Fox News.

Sadly, there is zero evidence that "removing state borders so plans are not limited & will provide lower costs & more competition." There are painfully few insurance companies interested in the folk in rural Georgia, and their premiums are much higher than in other states. I assure you that the insurance companies in, say, Connecticut are not interested in rural Georgia or they would have established an office there years ago.

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    March 20, 2016 3:43 p.m.

mominthetrenches wrote, "Romney is doing more harm than good. Very hypocritical for him and I am disappointed to see him so divisive-his actions can only be driven by his sheer envy for Trump's success being so outspoken, when he lost 2 times by being so guarded and perfect."

Who's he harming?

Hypocritical? Divisive? He thinks Trump is bad news. Did you expect him to support Trump just because Trump is claiming to be a Republican?

Sheer envy for Trump's success? Trump panders to the dark side of people who are upset and looking for somebody--anybody--to blame. I don't think that "envy" fits here.

Romney didn't lose because he was guarded and perfect. He flopped because he thought he needed to be more radically right to win. He threw away his common sense and integrity by bashing Obamacare, a clone to Romney's own health plan, dissing science, and claiming that tax cuts for the rich would somehow fix the economy.

Romney would have made a good centrist, whether he ran as a Republican or Democrat.

• CrayonQueen Las Vegas, NV
    March 20, 2016 3:19 p.m.

I wish ppl would do some research. Trump has never stood against religious freedom. He has simply said that Muslim refugees should be properly vetted before they are allowed into America & the FBI has said they can't properly vet them now.

If you have watched the debates you know that Trump said his healthcare plan would include removing state borders so plans are not limited & will provide lower costs & more competition. Cruz just said on Hannity almost word for word what Trump said, calling it HIS plan after he LIED & said Trump wants to keep Obamacare. You can't make this stuff up when it's on tv for all to see! Politicians will say whatever it takes to get your vote. Once they have it, they will do what they want, even Fiorina originally said this about Cruz. I have links to true incidents not lies that the media & others are writing to keep Trump from being the nominee. They have an agenda & it's NOT to tell the truth, it's to SWAY the truth!

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    March 20, 2016 9:43 a.m.

• turnitwayup Katy, TX
    March 19, 2016 9:25 p.m.

@NorCalCoug

And others who think Romney flipped or was a hypocrite to request Trump's past endorsement and now take him down do not understand.

"That is not how it works, that is not how any of this works."

Seeking, asking, getting someone's endorsement is very different than voting for or endorsing them. Romney wanted Trump supporters in 2012, he did not want his lifestyle or endorse his reputation. Romney accepted Trumps investment in Romney but Romney will not invest in Trump. I have no problem with that.

I might agree to lead you, to be your president...doesn't mean in turn that I would follow you in return. A president represents everyone, those that vote for her/him or not, those that agree with her/him or not.

Business success does not equal honesty, integrity, or leadership skills, it only means business success and Trump has that, his shell games have been successful, he is brash and a good entertainer. I would accept Trump's investment in me, but I will not invest in Trump.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    March 19, 2016 7:18 p.m.

I can't believe that Trump actually questioned if Romney was really a Mormon. This from the man who...... oh never mind. The fact that the Trumps life doesn't match his rhetoric at all seems to not matter to anyone. But still.... Trump questioning anyone else's faith is just a bit ironical and just a little bit hypocritical.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    March 19, 2016 7:04 p.m.

I was a Republican for almost 50 years. I can no longer associate myself with what the Republican Party has become. Although I voted for McCain (ever so reluctantly) in 2008, I voted for Obama in 2012. I never doubted that Romney was a good and devout man, but I disagreed with him once he morphed from the moderate governor of Massachusetts to a cardboard cutout who parroted the rhetoric of the far right. Still,I believe that he truly sees the dangers of electing the evil Donald Trump to the highest office in the land. I don't think he's trying to win political points, but to do as his conscience dictates and warn the electorate. I'm sorry to see him endorse Ted Cruz. While Trump is driven by ego,Cruz is driven by the dogma of the Christian Right. I'm not thrilled to vote for Hillary, but I know who she is, and I know she has the experience and the acumen to govern. If the Constitution is hanging by a thread, my friends, it is the right-wing fanatics who have shredded it. This Mormon is supporting Hillary Clinton. I can't in good conscience do otherwise.

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    March 19, 2016 6:40 p.m.

Can you blame Donald for being extremely disappointed by Mitt's betrayal of their friendship to carry the "bone" for the old, spineless GOP establishment?

• Lib living on Planet Utah SLC, UT
    March 19, 2016 6:30 p.m.

Baron Scarpia

"I'm not so sure... I think he'll do very well in Utah. Married successfully three times, he's a family man with significant material blessings that demonstrate his worthiness, I think Utahns will support him as their candidate".

The above type statement/comment unfortunately sums up the mindset and speaks volumes regarding the Trump supporter. Furthermore. Part of the quotation specifically..."Significant material blessings that demonstrate his worthiness"...Is the meaning vote for Trump because he inherited a fortune from his father? Is Trump closer to God due to his wealth? For example. Does the Mexican drug Lord Joaquin Guzman have "significant material blessings" as well? Vladimir Putin? President Bashar al-Assad of Syria? If one is rich they automatically "demonstrate worthiness"? In conclusion:

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel
    to go through the eye of a needle than for
    a rich man to enter the kingdom of God".
    {Matthew 19:24}

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    March 19, 2016 5:53 p.m.

I laughed when the Donald asked if Mitt were really a Mormon. Mitt did say once, addressing an audience of evangelicals, that the last time that God spoke to a man directly was when God spoke to Moses.

I think, though, that when Trump asked the question regarding Mitt's faith, he may have been making a distinction between thousands of his supporters outside the building, some of whom held banners with the legend: Mormons FOR Trump, on one hand, and Mr Romney, conversely, who evidently is not for Trump.

Clearly there is a distinction between Mormons. There are those who are pro-Trump and those who are against him. I am finding that those who favor Trump are more gentlemanly than the other kind. I have rarely heard such hate from professing Mormons as I hear from anti- Trumpers. I don't think they do their cause any good.

A poster on this thread asked: "Whatever happened to "love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"? " - Exactly. Let Mormons who really are Mormons state their oppositions in that way.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    March 19, 2016 4:54 p.m.

Fully Present:

There is only one candidate not taking the "dark money" or giving it to others in past elections.

FEEL THE BERN!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    March 19, 2016 4:39 p.m.

Patriot... Mitt said all of the things I was dying to say. I am not a Glenn Beck fan. I do believe in decency. I do not know how one can listen to the vitriol that constantly comes out of The Don and not be offended. Trump is not presidential. He is a self absorbed egotistical bully that will say anything the crowd wants to hear and admits that it is all just part of the "deal" and the "deal" is always negotiable. In other words, besides being extremely offensive, Trump hasn't given us any specifics as to what he will do to make America great.

Trump's history paints him as a moderate liberal. His crassness makes him intolerable. I'm a conservative Member of the LDS Church. If November comes down to only two choices, I will vote Clinton over Trump as clearly the lessor of two evils. This great country has shown it can survive a Clinton, not so sure it could survive the Don.

• Tom Mac bluffdale, UT
    March 19, 2016 4:32 p.m.

At least Trump spent time here and Romney was wrong how he acted towards him. He's better than the deceitful liars Cruz and Kasich. I think the media stories are a lot of embellishment.

• Liberal living on Planet Utah SLC, UT
    March 19, 2016 4:20 p.m.

Baron Scarpia
    Logan, UT

"Significant material blessings that demonstrate his worthiness"...Vote for Trump because he inherited a fortune from his father? Can anyone explain this rational? Does the Mexican drug lord Joaquin Guzman have "significant material blessings" as well? Does this "demonstrate his worthiness"? Furthermore. If one is rich they automatically "demonstrate worthiness"? Wow! Life in Logan, Utah is apparently ignorantly blissful!

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    March 19, 2016 4:11 p.m.

@ patriot - Cedar Hills, UT - "I am a Donald Trump supporter. I am also an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a returned missionary. By profession I am a Software Engineer with BS degrees in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. I get the idea that alot of LDS people are listening to the "scorched earth conservativsim" of Glenn Beck or the questionable progressive Washington DC establishment opinions of Mitt Romney and they are coming away with a completely jaded and false idea of Donald Trump NOT based on fact but instead based on the personal hate and insults from Beck or the political animosity of Mitt Romney. Both are misguided. As LDS people we are told to educate ourselves with the FACTS....."

Patriot, is it possible that just maybe that you are one of those who need to become educated with, and I quote, "facts"?

I mean no offense but two indisputable "facts" you are overlooking is that 1) Trump says whatever is necessary to gain someone's loyalty and 2) Trump is a bully.

I am an active LDS member and me, my wife and 2 sons will be voting for Cruz.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    March 19, 2016 3:54 p.m.

Trump says he likes Mormons but not Romney? What a shocker. He'll say anything to anyone. He's like a chameleon.

Trump is a bully. He liked Romney before. Bullies know no loyalties except to themselves.

America can do better than Trump.

Cruz 2016

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    March 19, 2016 2:46 p.m.

For Trump to try to cast doubt on whether Mitt Romney has a right to call himself a Latter-Day Saint, is an insult not only to Romney, but to all Latter-Day Saints

• hask Chino Hills, CA
    March 19, 2016 2:45 p.m.

Someone on this forum wrote that Mitt Romney flip flopped because he was campaigning for Kasich in Ohio and now he's saying vote for Cruz in Utah. That person wasn't listening to Romney's speech opposing Trump. He clearly stated his strategy to stop Trump in that speech. He told people to vote for Rubio in Florida, Kasich in Ohio, and Cruz in any state where he was most likely to win according to polls. So campaigning for Kasich in Ohio and telling people to vote for Cruz in Utah is exactly what he said he would do. He has not explicitly endorsed anyone. He wants to keep Trump from getting 1237 votes before the convention.

Also, it is ridiculous when people say they will vote for Trump just because Romney said they should vote for Cruz. Can anyone say, "low information voters"? You're going to base your entire vote on what one person you don't like (and who isn't running for office) said?

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 19, 2016 2:11 p.m.

byugraduate, you said "Trump is the only one concerned about bringing jobs back to the U.S. The other candidates will continue to send our wealth and jobs to China." Really? He could do that without being President, just bring back the jobs that he has shipped overseas. That would be a good start don't you think?

• Paul8777 Brigham City, UT
    March 19, 2016 1:40 p.m.

All politicians love Mormons when they come to Utah. Even Mitt Romney.

• nonceleb Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2016 12:45 p.m.

Trump will pander to anyone. What is forgotten is he called Mormonism an "alien religion" in 2014. That was not brought up once during his visit. Now he conveniently loves Mormons. Add them to the list of others he disingenuously loves - women, blacks, the working class, Midwesterners, American citizens of Hispanic origin, Evangelical Christians, etc. Of course he loves no one else as much as he loves himself.

• Pig Frizzle Tremonton, UT
    March 19, 2016 12:36 p.m.

He couldn't pander any more? ... Wear a BYU hat & say that Steve Youung is his great & tremendous friend.

Trump is so transparent ... I will not vote for him!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    March 19, 2016 12:25 p.m.

Trump sounded as sincere when talking about how much he likes Mormons as Hillary does when she talks about Benghazi or her emails.

• RSPcda Blackfoot, ID
    March 19, 2016 12:14 p.m.

Patronizing at best. I'm not falling for it.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 19, 2016 12:07 p.m.

Glenn Beck talks all the time about what a real conservative is. Well I will tell you what a conservative is NOT -- someone who says that unless Ted Cruz wins they will simply stay home and not vote in the general election. A true conservative will do EVERYTHING in their power to STOP Hillary Clinton from finishing the total transformation of America into a Socialist rat hole and you can't stop Hillary if you refuse to vote. Now who is telling you NOT to vote --- GLENN BECK !!! Yes Beck says it on his radio show almost every morning. So you decide what kind of conservative you really are --- the Beck kind or the Reagan kind who by the way had millions of "Reagan Democrats" who voted for him over his two terms in office. Where are the Cruz Democrats??? How does Cruz win in Ohio or Michicgan or Pennsylvania or New Jersey or Florida or any of the other BIG moderate states? These states WILL NOT move that far right to vote for Cruz and that is a fact.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    March 19, 2016 11:56 a.m.

I've seen nothing that indicates Trump loves anyone or anything but himself.

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    March 19, 2016 11:55 a.m.

Anyone who has worked with domestic violence victims can see the scary parallels between Trump and men who batter women.

During the courtship, the victim is overwhelmed with joy. This is the man they've always wanted, who tells them what they want to hear. Other people try to warn her. They see what this guy is really about--and they cite his track record to prove it. They cite his previous relationships which crashed and burned; they cite the lies he's already been caught in. But the woman refuses to listen. This is her Prince Charming; this is the man who is wining and dining her and promises to buy her a beautiful home after they get married. He has no concrete plans as to how to afford this..but, no problem, he loves her! When you point out the scary things that he's already done..she pooh-poohs them, saying, "That's just Jake being Jake".

You won't get through to these people. Even after the black eyes and the broken teeth, they will insist "He loves me. He just doesn't know how to show it".

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 19, 2016 11:46 a.m.

I am a Donald Trump supporter. I am also an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a returned missionary. By profession I am a Software Engineer with BS degrees in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. I get the idea that alot of LDS people are listening to the "scorched earth conservativsim" of Glenn Beck or the questionable progressive Washington DC establishment opinions of Mitt Romney and they are coming away with a completely jaded and false idea of Donald Trump NOT based on fact but instead based on the personal hate and insults from Beck or the political animosity of Mitt Romney. Both are misguided. As LDS people we are told to educate ourselves with the FACTS (not others opinions) and then use prayer to make the right decision. I hear too many LDS people at work or on the internet who need to chill out a bit and try to learn the real facts not the opinions of Glenn Beck or Mitt Romney.

• kranny utah, UT
    March 19, 2016 11:06 a.m.

To "thebig1"...if you're Mormon because of Romney, Harry Reid, or anyone else, you're in it for the wrong reason.

• swn83 Taipei, 00
    March 19, 2016 11:03 a.m.

@weightless skittles
    Clearly Mr. Hyde's values wore off on The Donald.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 19, 2016 11:02 a.m.

Many people have become hateful, and vicious.

Isn't this, what they are upset about with Donald Trump?

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2016 10:51 a.m.

@weightless skittles
    "The comments that I am hearing about Trump being an extremist is the very same comments I heard about Reagan before the convention of 1980 and during the Fall campaign. "

If people wanted to vote for another Reagan (albeit one with less stage presence) they'd be voting for Kasich (Pataki was probably the closest but obviously he went nowhere).

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    March 19, 2016 10:16 a.m.

Trump for 1st President.

• byugraduate las vegas, NV
    March 19, 2016 10:14 a.m.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    March 19, 2016 10:09 a.m.

Interesting how the obama worshiping crowd, who gets all worked up and offended, when somebody allegedly questions the supreme rulers faith, but suddenly they are just fine with themselves questioning the Donald's faith.

• common sense in Idaho Pocatello, id
    March 19, 2016 10:06 a.m.

weightless skittles - Trump is no Ronald Reagan

Mominthetrenches - Mitt is motivated by "sheer envy". Are you kidding me? Mitt is motivated by a love of country and the Republican party.

Also, "quit the pious lectures on how Trump is so evil". So, shoot the messenger all you want to but tell me what is untrue about "Trumpism has become associated with racism, misogyny, bigotry, xenophobia, vulgarity, and most recently threats and violence". (Romney's statement)

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    March 19, 2016 10:06 a.m.

@Bravo

"Where was the Bible thumping Senator from Texas?"

Pay attention to the news a little better, please. He is here TODAY!

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    March 19, 2016 10:01 a.m.

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”

― Adolf Hitler

• Jj thomsen Niskayuna, NY
    March 19, 2016 9:49 a.m.

Hey, Utah Mormons... does Trump remind you of Nehor? Alma 1 (and the chapter just previous) make interesting reading.

• Jj thomsen Niskayuna, NY
    March 19, 2016 9:44 a.m.

Cruz would need 50% of the vote to take all the Utah delegates. I predict he gets it, thanks to Romney. Cruz was never my first choice, but he is much much better than Trump, and I don't think Trump's approach will be effective in Utah.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    March 19, 2016 9:28 a.m.

Bob K you're 100% correct.

The next President of the United States Donald J. Trump.
    The man that had it and lost it Mitt Romney.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 19, 2016 9:24 a.m.

Trump will say whatever his audience wants to hear. To believe that he speaks the truth is laughable. Trump says he is an outsider, he couldn't be more wrong. Trump is beyond the typical politician who changes positions as often as he/changes underwear, Trump changes positions, sometimes in mid sentence, with no thought our concern as to what tomorrow may bring and what he may have to say to cover up what he said today.

• Joemamma W Jordan, UT
    March 19, 2016 9:23 a.m.

Trump loves rattle snakes, scorpions, cobras, Mexicans, Muslims, women, blacks.if they'll vote for him.

Trumps hates: rattle snakes,scorpions, cobras, Mexicans, Muslims, women, blacks.if they criticize anything he says..

Trump will deport 12 million illegals, but will bring the good ones back which is 11,800.000.00 them.

Trump doesn't like planned parenthood, but will continue to fund them because they do good thing like dismembering babies and selling them for profit.

Trump doesn't like Obamacare but will replace it with universal healthcare which is basically the main reason for the existence of Obamacare.

If you're a Trump supporter?? WAKE UP!! Please consider Ted Cruz

• 3025stc Santa Monica, CA
    March 19, 2016 9:20 a.m.

My guess is that, out of the 1.200 (wow--what a turnout) there were very few Mormon people at this rally and probably just as many Mormon's scattered among the protestors. To truly back Trump one has to care little about family, embrace bigotry, and want desperately to vent anger. Some Mormons have a little bit of the last two going on, but almost all Mormons cringe at the idea of tearing families apart. It just doesn't fly. I honestly think that Mormon Republican voters will stay home, or cross the aisle to punch a ticket for HRC or Bernie before they would hold their noses and vote for the Donald in the General. Do you really, honestly see strong Mormon women looking at this guy and saying--"Hmm, okay. I GET him." Sorry, I don't.

• ldsknack ringgold, GA
    March 19, 2016 9:20 a.m.

trump is the only non politician in the race. politicians are the reason the country is divided along racial and economical lines. it's time we take back our govt ant put people in charge that will put the lower back in "we the people". don't like trump? then run for office or support someone that cares more about the country than their own bank account. trump doesn't need a lifetime salary or lifetime medical care, unlike reid and hatch. Romney messed up when he waited past Super Tuesday to throw his name into the race. now he only sounds bitter. trump isn't my first choice but when he accepts the nomination, which it appears he will be offered, you need to put down your "hate" and rally behind the best chance we have to save our country.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    March 19, 2016 9:08 a.m.

I love Mr. Romney, but he erred in fighting Trump. He also lost some credibility. Mr. Trump does indeed carry a lot of baggage, but he is a successful business man and who knows he may do this country a great deal of good if he wins. He wants Obamcare out and it would fail regardless. He wants a better military that is good. He wants to hold back Muslim immigration. I am surprised a lot of people ignore Europe and its Muslim problem. Islam needs some serious changes.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    March 19, 2016 9:07 a.m.

Trump likely won't get any delegates from Utah at all. Maybe then he might say he didn't mean it when he said he loves Mormons. Most people in the state supported Romney when he spoke against Trump. There is a lot more anti-Trump sentiment than Trump is willing to admit.

• Idaho_Runner Rexburg, ID
    March 19, 2016 9:00 a.m.

At least the Donald is consistent and I consistently find his plan to make Mexico pay for a wall unsupportable, his rhetoric inflammatory, and his categorizing and generalizations of people offensive.

• weightless skittles Hewitt, Texas
    March 19, 2016 8:53 a.m.

I would also like to remind people that one of Trump's advisors and an accountant Stephan F. Hyde was loved by Trump . Hyde is a Mormon who was killed in 1989 in a commuter plane crash on the way to Atlantic City to oversee one of Trump's casinos. At the time, close associates of Trump said that Trump was very close and trusted Hyde because of his integrity and work ethic. They said that Trump trusted Hyde and truly respected and admired him. I believe Trump when he says he loves Mormons. Mr. Hyde was a great example to Trump of the Christ like values taught in the LDS faith

• Utexmom Flower Mound, TX
    March 19, 2016 8:48 a.m.

I think Utahns should be referred to as Utahns, not Mormons. Utah is 60% Mormon now. The other 40% has got to feel excluded when Trump refers to them all as Mormons.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 19, 2016 8:48 a.m.

Trump may or may not "love mormons". But, if you look into Ted Cruz & his pastor Father, it's very clear what they think of mormons. And, it sure isn't "love".

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    March 19, 2016 8:44 a.m.

I tried listening to the lying Don- but quickly got fed up with his foolishness that I turned to Hannity's interview of Cruz and learned something- Cruz has substance and workable ideas. Trump is clueless and egotistical... just like Obama.

• David Centerville, UT
    March 19, 2016 8:44 a.m.

Eight years ago Barack Obama won the presidency by campaigning with very little specifics regarding his plans for the country--"Hope & change" did not reveal much by way of specifics. Trump has followed the Obama playbook by offering very little. Instead, he promises we'll be "strong again", we'll "win again", and that "Mexico will build that wall". He says we'll all be "rich". But no specifics, other than he specifically attacks others like a school yard bully.

I am shocked that Trump has support. He is bombastic, vulgar, petty, thin-skinned. What details he offers are clearly promises he cannot keep. But Americans have become so self-absorbed and ignorant regarding the principles of our founding that they are easily swayed by anyone that comes along and promises them what they hope for (quoting Napolean Dynamite, "All your dreams will come true", vote for Pedro).

Well, Donald Trump is Pedro. It is so sad, the depths we have fallen to.

• ECR Burke, VA
    March 19, 2016 8:43 a.m.

"He's just joking. That's how Trump is. He jokes a lot,"

Those are almost the exact words my nephew used several years ago when I criticized Rush Limbaugh for his referring to a picture of then 12 year-old Chelsea Clinton by saying, "You've heard of Sox, the White House cat but did you know there was a White House Dog?"

These two misogynistic fools are two peas in a pod. Don't ever try to explain away their hate mongering for jokes. Nobody is laughing…except the ones who think just like they do.

• DaveRL Bayfield, CO
    March 19, 2016 8:42 a.m.

I think Trump's past comments of "loving the poorly educated" speaks volumes about his supporters.

• james d. morrison Boise, ID
    March 19, 2016 8:35 a.m.

Kind of misquoted him when you paraphrased him. He said his Jewish friend pays the tithing of his employees because they can't handle the temptation of money. The way you wrote it softens the insult.

• Bravo922 Bountiful , UT
    March 19, 2016 8:28 a.m.

At least Donald showed up to make a speech and show he cares, however briefly it was. Where was the Bible thumping Senator from Texas? We want to start calling people phony... Well he's there man.

• common sense in Idaho Pocatello, id
    March 19, 2016 8:22 a.m.

Eastcoastcoug "I've got news for Trump supporters:He has NO plans for the country." Wrong.

I'm gonna make deals. Great deals. Because I'm rich, smart. Everybody else is stupid. I've got a brain. I don't need no advisors. All I need is me.

Just a little short on specifics. Please be a little more understanding.

Sarcasm intended.

• weightless skittles Hewitt, Texas
    March 19, 2016 8:17 a.m.

The comments that I am hearing about Trump being an extremist is the very same comments I heard about Reagan before the convention of 1980 and during the Fall campaign. People in Utah, the country, and media kept shouting that he would bring us into WWIII. It did not happen. He is the very reason the Soviet Union collapsed. Reagan was a great negotiator.Remember the Reykjavik meeting with Gorbechev. Everyone was screaming that Reagan messed up when he walked out on the talks because he would not cave to the Soviets. Remember, it was Reagan who pushed for greater spending on the military and a buildup of weapons technology. Trump left the Democrat party ( as did Reagan) and came out in support of Reagan when it was not popular. Whether you agree or disagree with some of Trumps ideas, he loves the United States. I voted for Cruz when he ran for the senate here in Texas. I can certainly support him if he got the nod. But, I will not sit back and hear the same false rhetoric that I heard about Reagan when this country needs a strong leader now more than ever. Hiilary - NO!

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    March 19, 2016 8:15 a.m.

I'm an LDS registered Democrat who voted for Romney the last two times. I am not sure who I will be voting for, but I will say that Mitt, in particular, has disappointed me on all levels with his turn against Trump. He is acting like a spoiled billionaire baby not getting his way. He is acting with a lot of hatred, it's more than how he felt disdain running against Obama, his actions are motivated by sheer envy that Mr. Trump is gaining such a following by acting sensational and downright obnoxious. Keep it up, Republicans, you are wondering why the Dems keep winning...as much as you may not like Trump, the proof is in the votes-people ARE winning. Like it or not, I, personally, think he is the only one who can beat Hilary Clinton. Pretty sure we could put a montage of shady comments together from every single candidate and run disparaging ads-even about our dear Mitt. so please quit the pious lectures on how Trump is so evil.

Hilary is just sitting back with the

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    March 19, 2016 8:13 a.m.

Vote for Trump.
    Romney is bitter and jealous of Donald Trump's sucess.
    Where has Romney been the last few years taking a stand against the Democrats? Ever since he lost the election he has been silent.

Marco Rubio professes to dislike everything about Trump, yet Rubio is more responsible for Trump's republican nomination (if Rubio truly believed Trump was so bad for the country he would have resigned earlier and Cruz would've gotten most of his votes). Rubio is a huge reason Trump will win.

Romney is trying to tear republicans apart because Mitt wants Hilary to be president. No other explanation to what he is doing.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 19, 2016 8:12 a.m.

Trump loves trump, and no one else.

• common sense in Idaho Pocatello, id
    March 19, 2016 8:11 a.m.

More pandering by Trump. Of course he loves the Mormons. What else was he supposed to say in the state of Utah? That Mormons are members of an alien religion? Oh wait, he already said that.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2016 8:06 a.m.

Attacking religion and race is integral part of the new Republican strategy. At least they have added something to attack the President and Hillary constantly without any programs or plans.

• BU52 Provo, ut
    March 19, 2016 8:03 a.m.

"I love all the Mormons, stupid enough to vote for me"

• Tanto Slc, UT
    March 19, 2016 7:56 a.m.

Does Donny know that one of his benefactors in the past, Harry Reid is a Mormon? There is no good choice this time around.

• essence Ivins, UT
    March 19, 2016 7:43 a.m.

Has anyone else noticed that Donald says he "loves" people or places...until he doesn't because they do something he does not like and they fall out of favor? He throws the word "love" around in a very cavalier manner, which is very troubling to those of us who value the true meaning of the word.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    March 19, 2016 7:39 a.m.

Mind over matter.

It doesn't matter what the Donald says...

if he is the re-Publican nominee...

R's will line-up and vote R.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    March 19, 2016 7:29 a.m.

TRUMP is for me. I'm a Mormon Republican.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    March 19, 2016 7:13 a.m.

This is my favorite quote from Trump...

"Do I love the Mormons? I have many friends that live in Salt Lake City -- and by the way, Mitt Romney is not one of them," Trump said to applause. "Are you sure he's a Mormon? Are we sure?"

So Trump is questioning if Mitt Romney is really a Mormon? The serial womanizer is questioning Mitt Romney's religious credentials. You may not agree with Mitt's political views, but this is really the type of person you want as President. The man who misquotes the bible at Liberty University, that admits to multiple affairs, serially marries the next blond model, questions Mitt's faith? This is the best 35% of Republicans think America has to offer.

Very sad.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    March 19, 2016 7:09 a.m.

between Mitt Romney and Harry Reid i am ashamed to be a Mormon.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    March 19, 2016 7:05 a.m.

I'm not so sure... I think he'll do very well in Utah. Married successfully three times, he's a family man with significant material blessings that demonstrate his worthiness, I think Utahns will support him as their candidate.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    March 19, 2016 6:18 a.m.

Trump has been successful in capturing the anti-establishment
    feeling sweeping through Republican primaries. Mitt
    Romney's comments make little difference at this stage of the
    campaign. Republican's need to unite if they expect to defeat Hillary.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    March 19, 2016 5:41 a.m.

To all the avid Trump supporters.

Historically, has Trump been Fiscally conservative? In earlier times, has Trump been Socially Conservative?
    Do you believe that Trump is religious?

Be careful what you wish for.

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2016 5:39 a.m.

Trump loves anybody who supports him, and hates, disrespects, insults, and puts down anybody who opposes him. Whatever happened to "love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"? Trump suggests Romney is not a Mormon, but I question whether Trump is a Christian of any stripe. All while loving him, of course, and praying for him--that he never crosses the threshold of the White House.

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2016 4:53 a.m.

This Trump fellow is quite unusual.

• tesuji Bountiful, UT
    March 19, 2016 4:00 a.m.

Trump in the past has said Mormonism is an alien faith, and that's why Romney lost. Trump says whatever his audience wants to hear.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    March 19, 2016 3:21 a.m.

Of course Trump is being Trump -- with all that entails.

• 1studlyman Logan, UT
    March 19, 2016 2:35 a.m.

Donald will only say whatever will please his immediate crowd. I'm certain down the road in another context he'll flip and say he like Romney a lot.

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    March 19, 2016 2:27 a.m.

I am not sure who I am more concerned about - the people who support Trump or Trump himself.

• NorCalCoug Shingle Springs, CA
    March 19, 2016 2:12 a.m.

Go Trump! Mitt is being a hypocrite - go listen to Mitt's fawning praise of Trump upon receiving Trump's endorsement during Mitt's run just 4 years ago. Mitt basically said then, that meeting Trump and receiving his endorsement was one of the highlights of his entire life!

Google search:

That One Time When Mitt Romney Praised Donald Trump...

"Mormon's For Trump!!"

• PorcupineTree PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    March 19, 2016 2:04 a.m.

I was at the rally. I had a very fun time and was most impressed with Mr Trump. I loved his enthusiasm and energy. I truly felt like he believed in what he was saying.
    We waited outside for a few hours and saw a few protesters. They didn't bother me much. Many of them were holding signs with profanity and some of them yelled at us and swore at us. We just yelled jokes back at them.
    They most made themselves look like idiots. It was like they were trying to incite us, to no avail. Nobody around me really cared much and we thought it was funny.
    I don't know what makes people want to protest. It wasn't like any of us were going to be suddenly persuaded. Especially by people who had foul mouths.

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    March 19, 2016 1:43 a.m.

Guess what I love Mormons and I love Romney not so much do I love you. Never will I vote for a man like you Trump your rude, arrogant, do not have anything to improve our Nation all you say is I this and I that. It is all about you. Whereas for Romney he is a good man who loves this Country and you never hear him say I this and I that. If only you were half the man that Mitt is you would be good but guess what you are nothing compared to Romney. You are so jealous of him and that he is such a good man. Has been with the same wife for close to 50 years. He has never cheated on her he gives to his Church in his service and loves God as well as his Country. So you can say all you want Trump about Romney but you sir are the loser not him.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2016 12:55 a.m.

At this point the election has gotten so crazy they all tell you what you want to hear. It is estimated that the 172 presidential election cost just $300 million in today’s dollars. 2008 candidates raised and spent 1 billion dollars. When Obama beat Romney 2.6 billion. The candidates could spend up to $2 billion each to get to the White House in the 2016 race. And the total costs could reach $10 billion for the presidential and congressional races. The amount of money raised and spent has exploded since 2010. That is when the U.S. Supreme Court changed America’s election laws. The court’s decision, known as “Citizens United,” took away most limits on spending and fundraising for elections by outside political groups. There is no limit on the amount of money people, corporations, and PACS can give to "super PACS". Basically, the election is being bought by the highest bidder. There is a lot of dark money being given in this election. We don't really know who all is buying the election and our democracy. If all of this doesn't worry people I don't know what will.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    March 19, 2016 12:48 a.m.

I don't see how there can be a brokered convention. If you only count Trump winning the states where it is Winner Take All and he has a double digit lead, he'll have nearly 1,300 delegates. That's giving Cruz all of the delegates in states where Trump is leading with less than a double digit lead and giving Cruz all of the delegates in states with proportional delegate selection. Why the media discussion? Just to boost ratings?

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 19, 2016 12:17 a.m.

One supporter was "surprised (Trump) bashed so much at the beginning" because she wanted to hear more specifics about his plans for the country.

I've got news for Trump supporters: He has NO plans for the country. Just hot air and more bashing. You all seem so willing to say 'That's' just Trump being Trump". If he were running things, you wouldn't be so gracious. This guy is a complete disaster waiting to happen.

• Faith + Virtue + Knowledge Utah County, UT
    March 18, 2016 11:38 p.m.

Trump's advisers like Mormons. Why?

The LDS Church spoke out against Trump's call to limit religious freedom for Muslims, barring their entry into the U.S. Romney is a small part of it. He's a headline. The fact is, Trump wants to secure as much Utah vote as he can get. The fact is, he won't get much at this point anyway.

Sorry Trump, but when you speak out against religious freedom (you know, a 1st Amendment right) then this state doesn't support you. No one should, religious or otherwise! Extremist views to diminish freedom isn't what we need in a country that's already losing freedoms in favor of fake rights.

Trump is an extremist.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    March 18, 2016 11:09 p.m.

Dump the Trump!