Teachers ask for resources in interpreting, using SAGE data to help students

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    March 25, 2016 10:34 p.m.

cmsense:

The SAGE test is not "good". But my father had this saying, "that many people can't be wrong." Too many teachers and students think the SAGE is pointless. My daughter, who scores well on the SAGE, says she and her friends don't want to try this year because they are sick of being tested. I feel bad for their teachers. But teachers are sick of it, students are sick of it and even if the data was valid, which it isn't when the people taking the test aren't held accountable, it isn't that available to teachers to help their instruction.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    March 19, 2016 8:25 a.m.

Miss Teaching

Most kids have an android device or iPad at least and the internet. Hopefully the state rather than giving an ipad to every student could help out with after school computer labs, or devices for loan for the truely needy etc.

As they say, "Don't let the perfect be in the way of the good."

• Oak Highland, UT
    March 18, 2016 10:43 p.m.

SAGE is an invalid test. It has never been independently validated. I pity the teachers and students who have had to suffer through all this. Wasted money and time. Instead of educating, we waste weeks of the school year to teach to a flawed and meaningless test.

• birder Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2016 10:29 p.m.

Testing in my district is way out of control. We spend far too much time preparing students for the SAGE test so that administrators can have bragging rights. I don't think the kids care, and the teachers are burned out with all of the testing emphasis. The testing should be cut way back, and we teachers should be allowed to teach again.

• teachermom6 Northern Utah, UT
    March 18, 2016 8:16 p.m.

SAGE is a joke plain and simple! My students scored far above the state average of 40%. My class average was in the upper 60%. The problem I have with the test is it is so difficult. An assessment should be used to test student growth, especially at the end of the year. How does making your brightest students feel stupid, growth? The math and reading portion gets so incredibly hard, that I as a teacher, have to strain my brain to figure out many of the questions. What message are we sending students, when a test makes them feel small and defeated? I believe in assessments, just not this one. If the USOE were to make the test reasonable, taking in accountability for their age and capabilities at that age I would be on board all the way. If the state were to align it with Utah standards, per grade level this would be a much more efficient test. Quit putting in items to assess knowledge, or make the two tests separate... unfortunately, "brighter" minds are at work who don't deal with small children everyday...

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 18, 2016 4:20 p.m.

In the old days we relied on report cards, and students were actually educated.

Today we rely on people from other countries to fill our skilled jobs.

• Goet Ogden, UT
    March 18, 2016 10:50 a.m.

I'm a teacher. Can I be honest?

I don't care about SAGE anymore. Since the bill recently passed that I'm not accountable for SAGE results, I'm done.

I am completely burnt out by being held responsible for things that are outside of my control. Holding my feet to the fire for test results where students can just randomly click buttons with no repercussions..... fogedaboutit!

I'm going to rewrite all my curriculum to NOT be SAGE based, but to be based on standards and FUN. After all, that's what draws the most complaints. Parents and students don't want technical, challenging curriculum. They want to have As and fun. They want to participate in sports and have little responsibility or concern about homework or learning. I've been doing this long enough to see the writing on the wall. At least now I can teach that way without fear of losing my job because of some arbitrary test score.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    March 18, 2016 7:35 a.m.

The SAGE test is hopelessly tainted by the fact that students have zero stake in the outcome. Why should they care about the SAGE test?

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    March 18, 2016 6:02 a.m.

Utah Teacher explained the main problem with this test. When teachers are told they can't even look at the test, how are they to effectively prepare students to perform well on it? Another problem is that teachers are encouraged to provide authentic writing opportunities for students, but that isn't what happens when the kids are tested on those writing skills. Hundreds of students have complained about the topics and prompts they are asked to write about, and the lack of interest most likely impacts the quality of their writing response.

Teachers are also asked to differentiate their teaching, but then they are to give all students a standardized test. How does that make sense?

• MissTeaching Layton, UT
    March 17, 2016 11:47 p.m.

2cmsense Your ideas sound wonderful, but what about children who have no access to the internet, no computers and other devices at home, and parents who don't care? Sad, but true.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    March 17, 2016 11:15 p.m.

News Flash. Kids don't even care about the sage test. My kids just put in answers and move on. They have enough tests to worry about that actually effect their grades, they could care less about the SAGE test. SAGE is a waste of time and money.

• Utah Teacher Orem, UT
    March 17, 2016 8:18 p.m.

I never even get to see what my students are being asked on the SAGE test. I don't know if it is a good test or a horrible test because I never get to see it. When the kids tell me they don't understand a questions (this happens a lot, especially with ESL kids), I can't help them at all. I can't even explain a word they might not know. I have to say, "sorry I can't help you understand a question."

Imagine being held accountable for teaching a test that I never even get to see or know what is on it.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    March 17, 2016 6:59 p.m.

I like that Utah with its SAGE is considered a "truth teller" state.

I would like the SAGE to not only inform teachers, the current year and the next, but also to give parents more actionable feedback, such as..."Johnny is currently doing 9th grade level math, but he struggled with fractions and long division in story format.. His reading comprehension was at the 65th percentile for his grade level. His use of proper punctuation and grammer is at the 45%.

Most of the "core" learning material doesn't really change from year to year. They could even have a free software program or App program set up like "Think Through Math" except for SAGE prep at home. Under the "learning mode" the program would know what you had struggled with the year before and allow practice questions that would give immediate feedback if you got a question wrong and why. They could even embed video teaching tutorials. Parents could have kids work on it an hour a day over the summer. No better or cheaper way to mass disseminate material than through the web.