How to carry the burden of the student loan beast

• Young Moderate Logan, UT
    Jan. 30, 2016 6:25 p.m.

Going into debt for an education isn't necessary. I worked hard in high school to get good grades. This led to a scholarship that paid for 2 years of schooling. Pell grants and a part time job while in school took care of the rest. I started an internship my last year of school. Once I got my 4 year degree I was hired on full time at the company I had my internship with. Next step is to get this employer, or a future one, to pay for an MBA. No student debt! Now I admit I am pretty fortunate. Some of it was luck but I was prepared to take advantage when luck came my way.

• msl man Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 30, 2016 3:21 a.m.

To think that student debt in the state of the economy is an idiot. Its like buying the Brooklyn bridge, its a hoax and our education system has pounded it into the heads of our children that jobs are easy to find. The fact is there are no job of any kind and education is forcing our children to waste years of their life and decades of debt is an investment.

Higher education is for those who can afford it and who can qualify to get into college to earn and learn professional education. Only 3%-4% of high school graduates qualify for college education. College education is nothing more than trade school class that can be learned equally as well while working and getting experience. Colleges triples the cost and puts student loans on 30 year debt contracts instead of 4 year repayment schedules.

Education savings accounts are delusional and most families with children cannot think of wasting food and rent costs on useless colleges. Parents are not liable or accountable to pay for a college education and OJT and experience is just as effective for education.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 29, 2016 12:07 p.m.

Being a good Father I co-signed a Student loan for my Eldest and a Second Son. Along the way my Wife divorced me and now my Boys don't recall having to have to take over these Loans once they get established. Long story short, I'll have the my last student loan paid off when I'm 71 or about 10 more years. My other Two kids feel slighted that I didn't take out Loans for them. "sk your Mom", I tell them, She has all the extra money

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 29, 2016 10:44 a.m.

Close to half our adult population owes on student loans.

Many people go to college for easy loans, and grants with little concern of earning a degree.

Payments can be delayed if you take a class once in awhile, and you may even qualify for additional funds, food stamps, etc.

Our country has transformed into a fraudulent society, and reflects in the kind of political leaders we vote in.

• dave4197 Redding, CA
    Jan. 29, 2016 10:39 a.m.

No Liberal Ted. No DN subscriber. Dealing with student debt I tell my kids to pay as slowly as possible, until and if their incomes after expenses (house, car, groceries, etc, living) allow an accelerated payback. Student loans are an investment; the investor doesn't deserve zero risk, nor a quick payback, neither can the investor require the debtor to sacrifice.
    So go to school, borrow if you have to, get a good marketable education. Go to work, pay bills by priority. As a parent I will help when I can. It'll all get done, maybe later than some think. And some investors will lose because not all students achieve enough to pay back a student loan.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 29, 2016 10:20 a.m.

Someone prone to sarcasm would suggest that the way to fix the student debt problem is to make college free for everyone, and just let the taxpayers pay for it.

But, some people would think that is a great idea!

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 29, 2016 7:47 a.m.

Why bother controlling debt? The federal government doesn't. Big banks don't. Big corporations don't. They then fail, and we're told by the elites that they're too big to fail, and if they fail then we lose all of our entitlement and lazy lifestyle.

The sound of work scares the peasants, so they're willing to delay, borrow and do anything but pay off debt. The attitude has gone to the next generation. They feel they should be able to borrow with zero consequences. Why can't they borrow themselves into oblivion and become a slave to the master of usury? After all, when you fail to land your six figure job from an art BS degree; you should be able to protest and sue the school for failing to find a job for you....

This country mentality is so sad and pathetic. People cannot wrap their heads around a budget.