G-rated comedian chose values over fortune, fame (+video)

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• PositivityDoc Orem, UT
    Jan. 8, 2016 8:59 a.m.

Doug, this is absolutely the kind of story we need in a world that is saturated with negative media - kudos to you for a great article. As far as the subject matter, Jason Hewlett is the real deal. His integrity on and off the stage is the reason audiences really resonate with him - that and the little fact that he is hillarious!

• BBHELQUIST West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 7, 2016 4:51 p.m.

This is really uplifting and encouraging. I am so happy I found this article today. Never have heard of him before now, but now couldn't have been any better.

• Mountain Bird West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 7, 2016 3:24 p.m.

I think his audiences also need to ice sore muscles from laughing so hard. He certainly made my jaw hurt both times I saw him perform.

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    Jan. 4, 2016 2:00 p.m.

Way to go, Doug. Love the inspirational stories. My Grandson wants to be an actor. I told him he needs a Plan "B". He is going to college for a degree in Drama. He will face many disappointments, like Jason Hewlett, but when your dream is realized and is also the thing you are most happy doing, the world is yours. Thanks for the article.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 4, 2016 9:54 a.m.

In agreement with most of these comments; we all have to decide between popularity and morality often.

The great thing is, as much of the content of the article suggests, there is actually a huge demand for excellent, wholesome, clean comedy, though maybe not so much in Vegas. He just needs to find his audiences, as he seems to do. I would love to see this offered to a greater extent nationwide, on national television or through the internet, if he can find a public-spirited station or corporation etc willing to provide good, clean humor. In my childhood there were lots of subjects that were made the subject of humor, with no need for stooping to the base and vulgar. It was done then and it can be done again. Much of it was VERY funny. This man seems to know that.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Jan. 4, 2016 7:15 a.m.

This is a wonderful story that provides a glimmer of hope for the future. The example of this young man taking a stand against the modern entertainment industry is something we could use more of.

As this story points out, the modern entertainment industry has been infected with a desire to promote vulgarity and profanity. Indeed, the average comic uses language that would send a nun into cardiac arrest.

Enough of the depravity! In America, we should all take a stand against filth. The Founding Fathers would demand no less.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 4, 2016 7:14 a.m.

The author clearly doesn't understand the entertainment industry. Nobody is guaranteed success, fame or fortune. Certainly not in Las Vegas.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 4, 2016 7:01 a.m.

I first heard/saw Jason perform at Silver Crest Elementary School at an assembly. He held the audience (children from age 5-12) in side-splitting humor. I have never laughed so hard. Soon, every adult in the building including custodians, lunch ladies, etc. were drawn into that gym to find out what was going on! He was the funniest comedy act I have ever heard! And squeaky clean at that!

Later, he performed at our South Jordan Stake Center at a ticket-only event. I took some of my family. It was equally hilarious!

Losing track of him, it was wonderful to read this article and see that he has been able to hold to his core values. From his act I knew about his academic struggles to his going to college on a scholarship at BYU to entertain the team on the bus with his humorous routines to relieve the stress. He is a class act!

Thank you, Jason, for not bowing to the ways of the world and staying true to the Gospel principles that make you so wonderful. God Bless You!

• Fred T PHOENIX, AZ
    Jan. 4, 2016 12:51 a.m.

I always find it interesting, perhaps ironic, that whenever someone mentions "adult" as in 'adult entertainment' or adult beverage' etc... that the term always is used to describe something low brow, demeaning or conscious altertering.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    Jan. 4, 2016 12:38 a.m.

To be "in the world but not of the world." Kudos to you Sir.

• FelisConcolor Layton, UT
    Jan. 3, 2016 8:56 p.m.

He was the entertainment at my employer's yearly conference a few years ago. His act was awesome; everyone was dying of laughter.

A very funny man, and a very great person.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Jan. 3, 2016 8:46 p.m.

You are to be congratulated young man for holding on to your personal values over the big bucks especially in this world where people will sell their souls for the spot light and money, that usually ruins them because they do not have the solid moral base that you do.