Elder Richard G. Scott, a gifted man who loved family, faith above all, dies at 86

• deniron Effurun/Nigeria, 00
    Sept. 25, 2015 12:52 a.m.

A mentor to me. A man that I can't do without his words. When I read his experience my is very clear and confirm to me that all those that obtain that seat are first hand with fellowship with the spirit. Farewell to his rest until we all meet in the FATHER'S presence.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Sept. 24, 2015 8:21 a.m.

I have a special place in my heart for this man. He will be missed.

@Chris. All of us who follow sports know that the only thing you are "proud" of is the UofU PAC12 membership.

But still, those are the nicest words I've seen you post.

• Meens Sierra Leone, 00
    Sept. 23, 2015 2:08 p.m.

Elder Scott. my mentor, i love but Heavenly Father Loves you most... till we meet again at Jesus Christ feet.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Sept. 23, 2015 1:16 p.m.

Wendell, it's not over, you can still have what you desired at one time. You can be more than just happy with your decision. I don't mean to sound simplistic, but all the Savior ever wanted any of us to do is just believe. One tiny little ingredient, maybe that is all you have ever needed, just the choice to believe. I would say that it is worth another try. Happy for your children!

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 23, 2015 11:52 a.m.

A powerful love story...

• Sand dune nut Lehi, UT
    Sept. 23, 2015 11:43 a.m.

Thanks to Chris B. If the family has time to read all of these comments, Chris, your telling them, "but peace to him and his family" is very appropriate at this time.

I liked Elder Scott and his advice "saved" one of my friends in a time of deep despair and she wasn't LDS either His advice and counsel was appropriate for all and he gave to all freely. What a wonderful life he led.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Sept. 23, 2015 11:02 a.m.

My Aunt often spoke of her love for Sister Scott, one of her Mission companions.

We will miss Elder Scott's measured, quiet, controlled, and peaceful tone in General Conference.

• cindy56k TOK, AK
    Sept. 23, 2015 9:59 a.m.

I came to love this man like no other. Such a gentle loving man with kind and loving words. I hope to see you again Elder Scott. I know your are happier now.

• wendell provo, UT
    Sept. 23, 2015 8:00 a.m.

Soon after being called as an Apostle, Elder Scott spoke at a meeting in which I was in attendance. As a young college student, I remember him challenging those of us who were struggling with our testimonies to do some very specific things in order to fully believe. If not for that particular talk, I likely would have left the church as an 18 year old and would have never returned.

I vowed then and there to do every single thing he suggested in order to gain a testimony of my own. I served a mission almost exclusively because of this particular talk. I remained an active, albeit unbelieving member for 21 more years before the disappointment of not gaining a testimony of my own became too much to handle and I made the decision to leave the church. While I am happy with my decision, I will always be grateful to Elder Scott for helping me remain a member long enough to have 5 incredible, fully-believing children, who very happily have testimonies of their own. Even though the LDS faith is not for me, I see the joy my children get from the gospel, and I thank Elder Scott for that.

• windsor City, Ut
    Sept. 23, 2015 2:27 a.m.

I've known for many years that I would cheer for Elder Scott when he got to go Home and be with his dear Jeanene again.
    He so faithfully held to his love for her and sacrificed to wait for her.
    I am so glad they are back together again.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 23, 2015 1:43 a.m.

Foucault
    Alpine, UT

Even an atheist can receive the Spirit of God and feel of it. When I first felt it, it started at the bottoms of my feet, traveled completely upward to the top of my head. I felt such a powerful, wonderful feeling that I could not speak. The tears flowed and I continued to have this wonderful, beautiful, powerful spirit throughout my body for an hour or so. I had no desire to do or think of anything wicked. I knew at that time that the Lord was testifying to me of the truthfulness of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and the veracity of the calling of the Prophet Joseph Smith and of the living Prophet at that time, President David O McKay. I still receive similar feelings to this day, however, not nearly so strong - but they are there and still bring tears to my eyes. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and my Redeemer, and that God, His and my Father, lives.He has given us this world and the air we breathe, and all of the blessings of this life on Earth.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 23, 2015 1:22 a.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

Thank you, Chris, for your kind respect for Elder Scott. But, never say never. Strange things happen with the influence of the Spirit of our Father in Heaven. I'm sure Elder Scott's father might have said the same thing you are saying about not being a Mormon. If you open your heart to the Lord Jesus Christ and His Restored Gospel, I promise you and testify to you that you will receive blessings you have never considered, and those blessings will change your life for good. Not only will your life be blessed but also the lives of all of your posterity. I testify that Elder Scott was an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. Elder Scott has said many times that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is the greatest gift that has occurred on this planet we call Earth. Please pray about this and Heavenly Father will touch your heart with His spirit and you will feel it and know that He loves you and knows you personally.

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    Sept. 22, 2015 10:21 p.m.

I have immense respect for this dear man. The thing I loved the most about him is that he never remarried after his wife passed away. He stayed one hundred percent loyal to her to the end of his life. In fact towards the end it seems like nearly every talk mentioned his great love and longing for her. What a wonderful example for all of us to emulate.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 9:29 p.m.

Chris B
    Sending out some much needed love bro.

• Foucault Alpine, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 9:07 p.m.

I'm very much an atheist, but I sincerely hope there's an afterlife of some sort so Elder Scott may be reunited with his wife.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    Sept. 22, 2015 8:48 p.m.

The thing that impressed me most about Elder Scott was his devotion to his wife, both before and after she died. May he rest in peace.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 22, 2015 8:46 p.m.

I was privileged to sit about 15 feet from him during a conference in the Henry J. Kaiser auditorium in Oakland CA some years ago where he spoke in front of several hundred people. He was one of the greatest teachers I have ever listened to. He was short in stature, but a giant of a man. He was a true Latter-day Saint.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Sept. 22, 2015 6:08 p.m.

Though his death was not unexpected - his health had a downward turn about the same time that Elder Perry was diagnosed with cancer - he is mourned all the same.

We are grateful for his service as we turn towards what will come at this coming Conference. I trust we will all easily recognize the hand of the Lord in all these actions.

• LibertyMurf Canton, GA
    Sept. 22, 2015 5:28 p.m.

Elder Richard G. Scott I have been missing you for some time now, while your mortal body declined in health, you have helped & touched the lives of millions & you will be sorely missed by me & millions more. My hope & prayer is that all the General Authorities learn from your example, a master teacher you are, your talks have changed me, made me a better man, father, husband, etc... I shall always remember when we met while I was in the MTC, before I left to serve in The Ohio Cleveland Mission, it is my heartfelt prayer that I can rise to live a consecrated life that you showed through your example. I pray that peace & comfort attend your family on this side of the veil. I love you like the father I never had!!! I will miss you so very much!

~ Shawn Murphy

• ldsironrodder Mount Vernon, OH
    Sept. 22, 2015 5:20 p.m.

Thank you Elder Scott.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    Sept. 22, 2015 4:43 p.m.

Anybody that can survive Admiral Rickover is mentally tough! I will miss Elder Scott's talks on Gospel Principles.

• Marigold Provo, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 4:42 p.m.

I will miss the calm manner in which Elder Scott spoke and conducted his life. I miss him, but I know he is happy.

• ThinksIThink SEATTLE, WA
    Sept. 22, 2015 4:40 p.m.

As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be . . . . Elder Scott is seated in his rightful well-earned place.

• farmingtonhousewife Farmington, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 4:09 p.m.

We have lost valued and true disciples of our Savior but their messages and testimonies will be with us forever.

• rlsintx Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:54 p.m.

Condolences to his family and close friends and associates.
    Tough being alone all those years and to struggle at the end.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:42 p.m.

Great man. Will miss his Gen Conf talks.

• JinaYi87 Norman, OK
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:32 p.m.

Elder Scott came to my mission. One of the top three most amazing experiences I have ever had. He had a direct yet gentle way of saying things precisely.

• RichDaddy Lewis Center, OH
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:28 p.m.

Elder Scott was a kind and gentle man. I learned some of the greatest lessons of the gospel from his conference addresses.

• UGradBYUfan Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:30 p.m.

For purely selfish reasons, I am gong to miss Elder Scott! I know he has reunited with his dear wife and his loved ones and will soon, or possibly already has, experienced the embrace of his Savior

• Brad J West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:29 p.m.

@ Chris B

All your post now make since. Thank you for that clarity.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:26 p.m.

I always loved how Elder Scott talked about his wife. I am so glad their long separation is over.

• U of U Grad Orange County, CA
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:19 p.m.

I never related to Elder Scott - until I listened to an lengthy interview of him on the Mormon Channel a few years ago, "discovered" who he really was, and repented of my hard heart.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:21 p.m.

God's speed Elder Scott. You'll be missed.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:18 p.m.

Our Savior is at the helm. He has taken Elder Scott home.

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:14 p.m.

Elder Scott was my mother's favorite General Authority. She loved listening to his talks, as did the rest of us. Mom has been gone since 2004. I'll bet she will be among those who are greeting him now!

• Mr. Investigator South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:07 p.m.

Life is short. As a child we can all remember how the days seemed to last forever. Then you're 40, 50, etc. His teachings inspired many, because they echo the words of Jesus. God bless his family.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 3:03 p.m.

He had a great and caring personality. I will miss him.

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:56 p.m.

Listening to Elder Scott talk, you knew he loved and cared for the members of the church and for the world at large. He will be missed but I am sure he is happy to be reunited with family and freed from an ailing physical body.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:53 p.m.

Proud to not be a Mormon, and never will be - but peace to him and his family

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:46 p.m.

Dear dear Elder Scott will be so missed, but I rejoice that he is with his beloved wife again! When our son died 10 years ago, Elder Scott was amazing in his efforts to comfort and help us. He had given our son a blessing before his open heart surgery. Then seeing his obituary in the paper five days later, drove up to Farmington to stand in a long line to speak with us at Jordan's viewing. Though he did not know us personally, he did that for us, inviting us to come visit with him later in his office, where he gave us more words of comfort and love. I will never forget that kind of selfless service from a servant of God.

• MarkA Logan, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:44 p.m.

I always loved and appreciated his tenderness and kindhearted delivery of sermons. He will be missed.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:42 p.m.

I will dearly miss Elder Scott, but there is nobody happier than he is right now. How he missed his dear sweetheart. When I returned home from my mission in the fall of 1976, Elder Scott was a Regional Representative in the Washington, D.C., area. I attended a young single adult fireside at the Washington, D.C., stake center at which he spoke. He spoke tenderly and lovingly of the profound influence his wife had on his life. For example, one night as they were discussing their life's goals, she said that she was going to marry a returned missionary. So if he wanted to marry her, he needed to go on a mission. He did! And the rest, as they say, is history.

• Utah1014 Layton, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:40 p.m.

Enos 1:27 "And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen."

Elder Scott: a wonderful, loving man who magnified his calling of being a special witness of Christ, and now can rejoin his wife and parents in fulfilling his next assignment.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:39 p.m.

Sad to hear. Not unexpected. But sad nonetheless. Best wishes to his family.

• CH Cougar PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:39 p.m.

So next conference the church will be replacing 3 apostles--L Tom Perry, Boyd K Packer, Richard G Scott--those are some big shoes to fill.

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:37 p.m.

Truly a great man that has returned home to the God that gave him life. He will be missed.

• Brad J West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:34 p.m.

He is now experiencing the Love of his Savior Jesus Christ and his Family who passed before him. God Bless his Family

• Tom in MS Madison, MS
    Sept. 22, 2015 2:31 p.m.

Dear Elder Scott - we love you and we will miss you. You are revered as a prophet, seer and revelator, and an Apostle of the Lord. May He bless your memory!