Lost 10-year-old describes 29-hour ordeal as 'awesome'

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 25, 2015 3:55 a.m.

Glad this story has a nice, happy ending!

• terra nova Park City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2015 10:37 p.m.

Wonderful. Glad he was found. Glad he had the presence of mind to strain water and find shelter. Glad the weather wasn't too rough. Glad he didn't get hurt. Thanks to all who helped in any way.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 24, 2015 9:33 p.m.

NeilT is right. We can be relieved and grateful with his family that he was found. I remember when I was that age I wanted to go off and hunt for gold mines, and wild raspberres, and lizards, and whatever was popular in my fickle mind. Sometimes children don't even think about what they are doing when they wander off; they are being children. Just be thankful

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 24, 2015 8:58 p.m.

Whatever happened to carrying a whistle whemn hiking in the woods. Didn't this used to be a common practice? I am so glad he was found safe. No need to pass judgement on why he wandered off.

• Thinking_Man Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 24, 2015 4:46 p.m.

@patriot - article didn't say they "allowed" him to go, just that's what he did. All too often when taking kids in the outdoors they wander off on their own explorations. I know I did as a kid. Glad they family found this child alive and in good health.

• Jimbo Low PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Aug. 24, 2015 11:24 a.m.

I think what I would tell my kids is if you get lost in the mountains--stay put and make noise; the further he wanders, the higher the likelihood he won't survive, unfortunately.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 24, 2015 10:39 a.m.

"when he went to look for wild mushrooms about 10:30 a.m"

why in the world do you allow a little 10 year old boy to go looking by himself for wild mushrooms?? I pray that the family finds their little boy but good grief this should never ever happen. A parent should always be with their kids - the High Uinta mountains are easy enough for an adult to get turned around and lost let alone a little boy.