Why people aren't going to the movies like they used to

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 3, 2015 3:36 p.m.

As a grownup, I've become more selective in what I movies attend. More character driven than car-chases or gun fights. There are movies you see on the Wide-Screen (Think Lawrence of Arabia or Doctor Zhivago) or those you watch on Netflix , rentals or second-run theaters.

One needs to separate the chaff from the wheat. Fortunately there are art-house movie theaters in SoCal that offer something new and something thoughtful that meet my movie wants and needs. Support the "Far from the maddening crowds" movies. Money talks in Corporate Hollywood. Your dollars send a loud and clear message to the Movie companies as to which new movie to green-light.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Sept. 3, 2015 9:06 a.m.

FanOfTheSith
    Vernal, UT

I never have had a problem eating my Subway sandwich in a movie theater. Or a pizza, chicken meal, taco bell, apollo burger, two litter of pop. I really do not know why anyone buys concessions at the theater. maybe the popcorn.
    If the prices we semi reasonable maybe I would buy something there. But they are not.
    The teenagers at the door could care less. Walk right by them with a big gulp.

• Acegrace Lilburn, GA
    Aug. 31, 2015 9:51 a.m.

I had to stop going years ago when my new husband could NOT abide the high volumes due to sensitivity to sound. Then the cost went up so much that going with a friend became less attactive along with the audience members' rudeness and the trasny mess under my feet most of the time.

Finally it went right out the window with the shooting in the Aurora CO incident.
    (I don't go to malls due to crowds and higher costs either.)

I miss goingin some respects, but we haven't invested in NetFlix or movie channels either
    and just wait for the movie to come on TV.
    If it's worth seeing, it will be there later.
    We spend that money going out to dinner with friends bi-weekly instead.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    Aug. 31, 2015 1:07 a.m.

Streaming online has been around for a while but why worry about driving somewhere when some of the websites are able to show it online? Pay a subscription and you can have any movie at your fingertips with a Subway sandwich in hand. With the way IT is headed, I do hope that we are not going to lose actual real time physical social interactions.

• Mom of Five Orem, UT
    Aug. 28, 2015 11:14 p.m.

For me, it is the cell phones. Someone texting in the middle of the movie right in front of me multiple times ruins the movie for me.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 25, 2015 7:30 a.m.

The experience of seeing a movie in a theatre is almost never worth the cost of that experience. Too much money for parking, concessions a ticket and a drink afterwards. Throw in the fact that someone will be talking or texting through the picture and it would take an amazingly talked about movie to get me to go. I used to see about twenty films a year at the movie theatre. Now I go maybe four times a year and that's usually to an art house film where there will be less kids and less rude behavior.

• Xpat1961 Oslo, Norway, 00
    Aug. 25, 2015 1:57 a.m.

We have Netflix and we watch it a lot, but when a good movie is on, it is really fun to get out of the house and into a movie theater to watch it on the big screen, eat some popcorn and have refreshments. We usually go to eat either before or after the film. Do we do this every week? No, of course not.
    I find it strange that people are complaining about the cost of movie tickets when I see what tickets to sports events cost. Movie tickets are a fraction of what it costs to go to a college or professional football game.
    The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit movies were a family event every Christmas for years. Took my daughters to see all the Marvel films (in many countries... Thor with french subtitles in Paris was great). They waited for Harry Potter and Twilight films. The list is very long.
    I haven't had a bad movie experience in many, many years and will continue to look for good movies to watch.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2015 10:30 p.m.

Sound level in theater's and all the commercials are enough to make you never go to one again. Cost as well.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Aug. 24, 2015 12:24 p.m.

"Lack of Originality in majority of movies . . "

Hate to break it to you, but originality has never, EVER been the driving force behind the film industry. Since the days of Chaplin, if a movie sold a bunch of tickets, you could bet that a sequel, imitation, ripoff, spinoff, or homage was on its way. Anyone who thinks "lack of originality" is a 21st century phenomenon doesn't know anything about film history.

". . there has been a boom of trashy films for the last ten years because of the added filth and boring plots of the movies. If you watch a rated R film from the 90's or earlier they are cleaner than most pg-13 movies."

Again, patently false. Ratings creep is a thing, but content hasn't changed as much as you state. I know it's fashionable 'round these parts to moan about the decline of morals in the world, but cussin', nudity and violence have been around in quantity for a long time.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2015 12:12 p.m.

Why I am going to fewer and fewer:

1. Better things to do with my time
    2. Cost
    3. Cost
    4. Wait till it comes on NetFlix or even Amazon or Red Box because of...COST

Oh, did I mention cost?

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    Aug. 24, 2015 10:32 a.m.

I know it's not very rational, but I wouldn't go to a movie theater these days because of the shootings that have occurred in them over the past few years. Statistically, I know I would be safe, but I would think about it kind of like a nervous flyer on an airplane would think about crashing. And just thinking about it would be enough to ruin the enjoyment of the movie.

• Old Enough To Know Better WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 24, 2015 8:47 a.m.

I quit several years ago, to disruptive with the cell phones and all. Also got tired supporting celebrities that have political views, best they keep those views to their selves. No matter what their opinion is they'll insult half the viewing public!

• Perry Newman Riverton, UT
    Aug. 22, 2015 5:59 p.m.

I am a movie buff, however not so much any more because of the quality of the product. While I don't mind spending money on entertainment, you have the feeling after the experience of being "ripped off." I like hamburgers and shakes, which at the local chain about a $17.00 deal with a drink. the ticket upwards toward $10.00. Time, gas, and the inconvenience of the theater experience, I think they are in trouble.

• Poqui Murray, UT
    Aug. 22, 2015 2:48 p.m.

My children dind't even know movies came out until they reached the dollar movies, we just kept telling them, "It'll be out soon". Once they got older and figured out our game they just laugh and patiently wait for the movie to come out in the dollar movie. There's no way I'm spending $50+ to take my family to the movies.

• Utah Keith Roy, UT
    Aug. 22, 2015 12:15 p.m.

Frankly, when I was a kid, a movie cost $4.50-$5.00 for an adult ticket, I think mine was $2.50 for a matinee, you throw in popcorn a drink and candy and I was out of the movie at $5.00. Now for my wife and I it's a $30-$45 experience and you asked yourself, why did I waste my money on that? That is how it is now days. I'm not into the big budget action thrillers, I just am not. I enjoyed Gatzby to some degree, and the last Oz movie, and the TCM "The Wizard Of Oz" which I took my kids to see, but those are the last three movies I went to see. I know, how sad many of you are thinking, but that's how I feel about the movies anymore, I'll wait till it comes out on netflix and watch it on my bigscreen at home. Soda is 10 times less expensive, I can buy cocoa nut oil, and make my own Movie Popcorn much cheaper, and why sit in my own recliner! With Surround Sound!

• Lyn52 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 22, 2015 6:34 a.m.

I don't go for these reasons, the cost, the volume (too high) the A/C is on high (you could swing meat in there) and last the movies are un-original. Also I detest being asked to reserve a seat, really??

• msl man Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 22, 2015 3:11 a.m.

I don't think that its quality of movie or who the players are or Netflix that is affecting the movie goers. The movie theaters are just another casualty of the economic depression and financial expense it has become. To take a family of 4 to a movie with all the drinks, popcorn, candies, etc, it cost well over $100 dollars for 2 hours of entertainment. Then you have parking, $10 and transportation and/or baby sitters for infants. Then you have all the financial fees of 20-30% to borrowing the $200+.

Compare this to movies from the 30's to the 70's when you could take a family of 4 to a movie for a few dollars cash. Then some family's make a night of it and go to dinner before or after a movies and another $100 so a family night out at the movies cost over $200 with a job paying less than $5 hour.

The non essential entertainment industry is in trouble at all venues including car racing and concerts, ball games, and Olympic events. Broadcast TV is becoming more popular and its free no cost family entertainment in the home.

• Dr. Thom Long Beach, CA
    Aug. 21, 2015 10:49 p.m.

Netflix, Redbox and the fact that most theaters wont allowed people with a CCW to enter the facility

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Aug. 21, 2015 4:16 p.m.

$12 - $15 a ticket
    times a Family of 6

Nearly $100

I can buy the Blu-Ray player AND the movie, and KEEP them - for that same price.

Hollywood knows that, and they are making more money than ever before.

Like Car dealers,
    It's the Theater owners [Dealerships] who are gouging the customers.

Anyone ever wonder why the Larry H. Miller groups own Car Dealerships AND Movie Theaters?
    Hint: It's not a co-incidence...

• drh3010 Draper, UT
    Aug. 21, 2015 2:30 p.m.

I rarely sit through an entire movie in one sitting. Can't do that without paying again at a theater.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Aug. 21, 2015 1:49 p.m.

Lagomorph
    Salt Lake City, UT

I like movies there as well. they seem to have more substance. I will have to run by there more.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Aug. 21, 2015 1:47 p.m.

patriot
    Cedar Hills, UT

I liked Mission impossible too! except for cartoons I think it is the only movie watched at a theater this summer. looking forward to specter

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2015 1:21 p.m.

patriot: "If the movie is from Spielberg or the Coen brothers you can pretty well bet the movie will be good and worth while."

Finally, something patriot and I can agree on. Who knew?

Just wondering if any of those complaining about the quality and cost of movies make any effort to take advantage of the offerings of the Salt Lake Film Society or the Utah Film Center. Both are nonprofits promoting thoughtful and artistic fare that eschews the Hollywood blockbusters. SLFS has membership levels with discounted or free admission. Plus they have the exceptional DVD collection at the Tower. UFC screening are usually free (except for the DTH fest) and often feature Q&A’s with the filmmakers.

• hapticz Passaic, NJ
    Aug. 19, 2015 10:52 p.m.

i haven't been to a movie house since ummm lemme think, "Dances with Wolves". and that was when it was in a small town bargain theatre for $2.00. That was spring of 1991. Since then i disposed of my TV, another waste of valuable time. No cell phone to intrude as well. Life is good. Being a hermit put lots of things in much better perspective. ;-))

• tholyoak Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 4:32 p.m.

There have been many times when I've thought it would be fun to take my family to the theater, only to look and see there is nothing appropriate currently available.

However, last week I took them to see Max. It was one of the most family friendly movies I have seen in years. I'd love to see more like it made.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 3:10 p.m.

Have only been to the movie theater once in the last 15 years. There is really nothing worth watching anymore. Life is too busy to waste several hours paying to watch something that is not worth watching in a place full of people that are noisy and rude (at times). If I watch a movie it is usually streamed into my home and it is usually an older movie that is not so offensive to my culture or beliefs. Even at that I probably only take time to watch about a half dozen movie at home each year. It is when I just need to relax. Theaters don't do that for me.

• heidi ho Fort Collins, CO
    Aug. 18, 2015 1:05 p.m.

I can't stand the loud noise in the action adventure movies and even the latest Lord of the Rings movies are full of negative images and violence and weird screaming noises, etc. I would much rather go on a quiet walk and commune with the Lord out on the prairie. Enough with the noise already!

• Eagles63 Provo, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 12:57 p.m.

In the 90s I would see 1 to 2 movies a week. 2000s probably closer to 1 to 2 a month. 2010s: one every two months till the past year where it is one every six months. The reasons are easy. I have a very nice home theater with very high quality sound, visual content and stadium seating. The cost to build wasn't that great when you think about today's cost of movies (I probably spend $100 to take my family to a show and get basic treats). Sure films currently take awhile to hit, but the studios may come around on that as well. I see one day where pay per view at home for the opening weekend is allowed, but we'll see. It may take more people shifting towards my style.

After all, I can now see a film from Amazon/Netflix for free or under $5. I can rent from the library for $0.50 for a week. Great popcorn at home with my popcorn maker and no distractions from talkers or cell phones. If we need a break, no problem. All in all, it is very hard to justify going to the megaplex.

• Philosopher Goose Creek, SC
    Aug. 18, 2015 12:51 p.m.

And, according to a recent Time article, "Theatre Madness", three shootings in the past three years, leaving 16 people dead and over 80 injured, may also be a movie attendance inhibitor.

• GANANA Athens, GA
    Aug. 18, 2015 12:20 p.m.

I would love to go to the movies more but it is the cost! Not just the cost of the ticket but EVERYTHING! The 2 theaters where we live have changed. The closest is now almost like going into a bar instead of a lobby. Seriously! The Lobby now is a bar with tables and chairs and under 21 can't go in that area. Not family friendly at all. To get popcorn or anything else you have to order from your seat and a waitress comes and takes the order so you feel you have to tip. the other one is half the sit and dine screens at $24 a person and has all the most current movies the other showings are things no one has ever heard of. So we just stay home.

• Anonymous100 Anywhere, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 12:15 p.m.

1. Quality of movies
    2. Cost
    3. Competing with cell phone glare in the middle of a movie (honestly, you can't sit for an hour and a half without checking your phone?) and other audience members who just won't be quiet.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 12:07 p.m.

Mission Impossible was a great movie and my wife and I loved it. The plot, the acting, the action the humor the suspence -- everything was first class. Sadly this is probably only one of a 100 movies each year that meet this quality. 90% of movies are vulger, immoral very dumb and predictable and thus most people over 30 don't go. I see the trailers and I just shake my head. Most people age 20-30 go to anything just because they like going. With the technology of 2015 a movie can be produced pretty quickly and pretty cheaply especially using computer software for special effects and thus most action or horror movies are just a bunch of computer special effects mixed in with some predictable and C grade acting and plot. If the movie is from Spielberg or the Coen brothers you can pretty well bet the movie will be good and worth while. Christopher McQuarrie directed Mission Impossible and did a great job too. Still a few good moives each year - not many - but a few.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Aug. 18, 2015 11:41 a.m.

Multiple screen experience needs to be considered in this conversation.

Many have become accustomed to surfing the internet and communicating on their phones while watching movies at home. "I want to watch a movie, but I really need to get my Christmas shopping done." If I stay home I can do all of that. Or, "we are watching a family movie tonight, If we stay home I can stream ESPN at the same time.

In my area the discount theaters are closing down and being replaced with spectacular theaters with reclining seats and dinner service. They are incredible complexes. Some find them overwhelming, and they crowd out the discount crowd.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Aug. 18, 2015 11:28 a.m.

I love movies. See at least (average) one per day. ALL AT HOME for less than the price of a movie theater ticket. To all the above comments about that, add using one's own bathroom, captioning, rewind, fast forward (through nudity, etc) and the DVD extras. And cost. The public library has EVERY film (even junk) -- FREE!

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 11:12 a.m.

I love movies but have not been going much this summer because there was very few movies that i wanted to see.
    Seems like they make too many R rated movies that evidence clearly shows make less money.

• BAKA Lindon, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 10:58 a.m.

I prefer to watch movies at home rather than the movie theaters for all the same reasons listed above, (outrages ticket prices, outrages food prices, travel, time constraints, convenience, etc) but I also feel safer at home. No one will come in with a gun and shoot me unless it is my wife for not mowing the lawn.

• RSL* Why, AZ
    Aug. 18, 2015 10:40 a.m.

Internet has changed how we watch movies. Streaming services like Netflix has made an impact but so has the increase in illegally downloading movies. These download websites get high quality versions of these movies before they ever go to DVD. You have a shorter wait and it is free.

• AST Orangeville, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 10:23 a.m.

Speaking only for myself, I hate going to movies because the sound is too loud. With all the THX effects booming, it becomes overwhelming and I can't tell what's being said. I may be an old codger, but I can't believe that anybody finds those sound barrages pleasant.

The last movie I watched in a theater was "Godzilla" and I came out with my ears ringing. Later on, I saw it on television and it was much more pleasant and I could follow the story a lot better.

Furthermore, movies today are getting so filthy, silly and offensive, I wouldn't go to many of them if I could.

• JRM Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 10:10 a.m.

If you have a big tv and surround sound, you can get a similar experience without the expense and hassle.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 18, 2015 10:01 a.m.

It's not cost. Look at how much people spend on Netflix. It costs way more than a handful of movies. No, it comes down to a few things:

- If I have Netflix, I don't have to get in my car and drive to a theater.
    - If I have Netflix, I don't have to wait for a specific showtime that may not work with my schedule.
    - If I have Netflix, I can pause the movie and resume later. I don't have to carve 3 straight hours out of my life.
    - If I have Netflix, I can get my own snacks. They cost way less and they're what I want.
    - If I have Netflix, I can be noisy or quiet. I can have my cell phone on.
    - If I have Netflix, I can sprawl out on my couch.

The bottom line is the movie theater is an outdated medium that no longer serves a purpose since the advent of streaming and movies on demand.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 18, 2015 9:47 a.m.

Once you go through the process of waiting for movies to come out on DVD it is no longer a big deal. Then you just have a steady stream of DVD releases you can watch. The vast majority of today's movies are "one watch" movies. That is, we want to see them once and then we are good, no need for a repeat.

The last movie our family went to see in a theater cost us over $120 (Avatar, iMax). Soon after we dumped cable TV, got Netflix and Redbox became our friend. All that money we started saving went into family adventures (and a few big screens at home). One of the best choices we ever made as a family.

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    Aug. 18, 2015 9:45 a.m.

When I go, I go knowing it will hit my wallet (so that is not an issue). It is usually to share something with family or friends.
    What I do find irritating is:
    1. The volume set so high that it hurts my ears.
    2. Commercials.
    3. Previews that do not take the main feature context into consideration (i.e. adult themed movie previews when I'm there with the grandchildren for Frozen).

Both local theaters do it. Neither responds to my suggestions/ complaints in those areas.

• Xbalanque DC, VA
    Aug. 18, 2015 9:23 a.m.

Echoing what has been mentioned before cost, cost, cost.

• Forizzle Ashton, ID
    Aug. 18, 2015 9:15 a.m.

I would definitely have to say cost. I was wanting to go see minions in Idaho Falls, but sadly it would have been over 35 dollars. It is more than the movie is itself. Also there has been a boom of trashy films for the last ten years because of the added filth and boring plots of the movies. If you watch a rated R film from the 90's or earlier they are cleaner than most pg-13 movies. Because of this I have to hear how the movie was before I waste my time.

• Al the Accountant Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 9:12 a.m.

I didn't read the article but saw the headline and felt like commenting. I think there are 3 reasons (in no particular order):

1. Cost
    2. Lack of Originality in majority of movies that come out in
    3. Streaming services (some of which that I don't use but have friends who have them even illegally allow people to watch movies that are in the theater at home)

And that's all I have to say about that.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 9:00 a.m.

During the Great Depression, people went to the movies to escape reality. During the Great Recession, people cannot afford it. In 1933 the cost of admission was $0.25 for an adult. In todays dollar, calculated for inflation, that would be $4.59. But the price of admission now is closer to $10.

I'll wait a month or so and watch a movie in a less expensive theater, or wait a bit longer for the release on DVD/BD and rent and watch at home.

The people in Hollywood should be smart enough to make the connection between cost and movie attendance. If not, they need to replace the economists they have working for them.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 8:29 a.m.

...cost.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Aug. 18, 2015 8:28 a.m.

Has someone who loves to watch movies.

Keep in mind some people love to watch movie, but hate going to a movie due to being around a ton of people, the cost of the ticket, food and needing to make time to go see a movie. Thus watching a movie at home is the best way to see a movie. If I go to see a movie it is because it has a great story and I do not want to wait until it is out on Bla ray.

IT comes down to if the movie is worth paying close to $10 to see. Avenges 2 no problem, Inside out no problem, Terminator and FF 4 glad I saw peoples reactions and did not waste the time or money on.
    Star Wars 7 I may wait for a few days so as to avoid the large group of people. I did EP3 at midnight and will never do that again.

Then when the Avengers 2 and Inside Out come out on blu ray I will enjoy watching them again.