AAU basketball a must for aspiring players, but can be overdone

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Uncle Sam West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 21, 2015 1:19 p.m.

For once, I agree 100% with Kobe Bryant. He is spot on with his comments!

• Osgrath Cedar Hills - Utah, UT
    Aug. 15, 2015 1:59 p.m.

"The worse vice is a virtue carried to an extreme." ~ Boyd K. Packer

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Aug. 15, 2015 10:15 a.m.

There is so much more to life than a single sport. My daughter made a tough, but very wise decision as a 16 year old to drop basketball because it was quickly becoming the only thing she was doing year round. She said, "Dad, I am not going to be playing professional basketball, so why invest all of my time in just this one part of my life?" She wanted to be a great student, had lots of friends in Choir, Band, Cross Country, Track, Theater, and school, and found that basketball had become more of a job than a sport. She and some other girls from the high school team put together a city league team the next year, and had a great time playing. It was fun again for her, and she was able to travel back east on a history tour, get straight A's in school, participate in two other sports, participate on our city youth council, and had time to just be a teenager.

It is sad that adults have turned high school sports into jobs for these kids that precludes anything else but the primary sport. This attitude has done way more harm than good.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2015 8:09 a.m.

I completely concur with Christensen that out-of-state AAU games get too rough. My son played a few years ago and the referees are largely there for decoration...and to collect a pay check. Nothing was called and the game really did become violent. It's pretty hard to get better when there is an uncalled foul on nearly every shot attempt. In fact, some referees even admitted that the overloaded schedule of games every day forces them to not call fouls in order to keep the games on schedule.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Aug. 15, 2015 7:36 a.m.

“These kids play so much that sometimes the effect of losing games is not that important to them,’’ I noticed that with Jabari Parker with Duke and other players who played at this school and Kentucky.

Another thing, what about Education? "One and Done" when playing college for one year and move on to NBA and forget about education. When those players are done with nba, what next?

• High5 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2015 11:29 p.m.

I remember watching Christensen coach an AAU team in the state championship several years ago (they always seemed to be in the championship). The game was close at the end when an opposing player took and barely missed a shot at the end. Christensen's players celebrated an AAU state championship. Right after the buzzer, Kurt made a b-line to the kid from the other team who had taken the shot and missed and put his arm around him and said something to him while his players were jumping around celebrating.

I asked the kid's parents what he said and they said Kurt told him that he admired his courage for taking the shot, that it almost went in and that he was a great player.

All these years later, my son who was with me talks about that. Thanks Kurt for that example. That's what AAU sports should be like.