Sen. Orrin Hatch endorses Jeb Bush for president

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Aug. 16, 2015 11:51 p.m.

One conservative (wink, wink) supporting another (wink, wink). What a surprise.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2015 8:09 p.m.

Trump will get him.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Aug. 15, 2015 3:03 p.m.

Bad endorsement. I'll chide Senator Hatch about this next time I see him, which should be soon.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Aug. 14, 2015 8:06 p.m.

I think the American people are sick and tired of just two choices, Coke or Pepsi? New blood please.

• Lilalips Attleboro, MA
    Aug. 14, 2015 3:14 p.m.

Orrin Hatch has served his constituents well. But it is time to let a new generation, that knows and respects the Constitution, lead. That would mean Ted Cruz tops the list. Though not a Constitutional scholar, Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson have the most experience in the areas that the country needs the most help in, business and healthcare. Jeb Bush would have more of the same entrenched political loyalties that keep Boehner and his gang in power. No thanks.

• kolob1 sandy, UT
    Aug. 14, 2015 1:18 p.m.

Jeb Bush doesn't even know who was responsible for the US pulling out of Iraq. He blamed Obama but it was really his Brother George Bush. Jeb Bush is really a non-war candidate who is spouting off at the garbels for war. Jeb Bush is tied politically to his brother whether he likes it or not. An endorsement for Jeb Bush is an affirmation for his brother George Bush. Hatch ,as usual is. behind the times.There is nothing in Hatch's endorsement for Utah. Probably a job with Bush if he wins.

• Lyn52 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 14, 2015 8:55 a.m.

Sen Hatch endorses Jeb! who suffers from a memory problem, seems Jeb! blames Hillary Clinton for the the rise of ISIS. Who invaded Iraq?? GWB Who signed an agreement for our troops to leave Iraq? GWB. Yep, Jeb! has a memory problem and it seems so does Sen Hatch.

• Jack from Ark Hensley, AR
    Aug. 14, 2015 8:27 a.m.

Are the Clinton's and Bush's the only family's in the whole country that can be president. I have decided I will not vote for any Bush or Clinton because I believe our country is better than that

• Light and Liberty St. George/Washington, UT
    Aug. 13, 2015 10:11 p.m.

I have only pity for Hatch! Unfortunately, most people would claim that there is a difference between Orrin Hatch, Harry Reid, Jeb Bush, and Barack Obama. I challenge anyone to define those differences. Every program, every vote, every guiding philosophy has guaranteed that they are the masters parading as servants. In the end, they have lost everything.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    Aug. 13, 2015 4:13 p.m.

I really thought Hatch would endorse Trump.

Surprised by this.... not!

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Aug. 13, 2015 12:58 p.m.

Jeb was OK till a few days ago when he accused Hillary of creating a rise in Islamic terrorism.

That one will backfire on him in a big way!

• liberate Sandy, UT
    Aug. 13, 2015 11:55 a.m.

Truth be told, I'm not too enamored of any of these candidates. BUT take away the whole Bush legacy and Jeb Bush actually doesn't seem like a bad candidate. He seems much more reasonable and well-spoken than his brother. He's also demonstrated the ability to get things done. That said, I don't know why Hatch is making his announcement now. Bush may not make it to the halfway point the way the polls are going.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Aug. 13, 2015 11:04 a.m.

If Hatch supports Jeb than it has to be good.

NOT!

• SlickMick Ashburn, VA
    Aug. 13, 2015 8:54 a.m.

Remember what good buddies Hatch was with Sen Byrd from WV? Establishment types look for their own. Kasich is looking better and better and he's starting to move in the polls.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    Aug. 13, 2015 8:06 a.m.

No surprise there. It is all part of the show. Maybe Hatch is hoping to become AG. LOL!

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Aug. 13, 2015 8:01 a.m.

Well that didn't take long. Establishment endorsing establishment. Now he can go back to work and balance the budget (ha).

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Aug. 13, 2015 7:07 a.m.

@ drich

"I see alot of individuals attacking our senator here and no denials...what?"

My thought was that I'm reading the comments of those that will once again ensure that a Democrat sits in the Oval Office.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 13, 2015 6:35 a.m.

One politician endorsing another of the same ilk. He missed a golden opportunity to endorse a great man and a NON-politician, Dr. Ben Carson. However, as noted before, Dr. Carson probably has too much common sense for the "average" voter.

• BB Santaquin, UT
    Aug. 13, 2015 5:58 a.m.

Hatch needs to go away...

• jalapenochomper albuquerque, NM
    Aug. 12, 2015 9:53 p.m.

I trust the union can survive without a Clinton or a Bush in the white house. I do not care if Bush would be great. History will judge his brother much better than contemporary media. Nevertheless, we simply need someone who can not only inspire Republicans, but can attract new voters. Running a old blue bloods is not going to do it. Running lackeys for 80 yr old Wichita John Birchers will not do it either. All the candidates seem so old to me, and I am 46. Can we not find a single dynamo in this party?

• dski HERRIMAN, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 9:33 p.m.

I confess! I did vote for Hatch but now I wish we can recall him.

• drich Green River, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2015 8:16 p.m.

I see alot of individuals attacking our senator here and no denials...what?

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 6:57 p.m.

jeb or whomever...

Outside of Kasich, the remaining 16 reiterate the same talking points.

Pandering to the most extreme elements of the re-Publican political machine is job 1.

This piece is a simple reaffirmation of UTAH's dedicated role as a re-Publican ATM.

Wonderful.

• forward thinker Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 6:38 p.m.

Perhaps Mr. Hatch should work harder on his promised balanced budget amendment. He is the chair that powerful senate finance committee he campaigned about. He is best buddies with Mitch McConnell, so he should be able to get that to the floor. He has so many friends across the aisle, so he should be able to get it passed.

What is the hold up, Senator? Too busy endorsing Jeb?

• stuff Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 5:30 p.m.

I've been an Orin fan all my life but started to wonder about him the last few years. He just lost me, permanently.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 4:28 p.m.

The first Bush was a decent president. The second Bush was a total disaster. Third time is NOT a charm -- I wouldn't trust JEB to be a dog catcher.

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 4:24 p.m.

Senator Hatch, as with Governor Bush are both great compromisers, and in a nice world that would both be great. I have watched Senator Hatch throughout his political career and seen him do great things for Utah. When he first ran I thought he was like the nerdy high school buddy that always does the "correct" thing, so I voted for him. My level of respect never rose to the level of respect I held for a Jake Garn or a Ronald Regan. Those are the types of men we need now. We've compromised ourselves into some pretty tight spots, economically, militarily and also with many of the moral issues we've dealt with lately. Nobody like that ever seems to run against Senator Hatch, but I'm waiting...

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 3:48 p.m.

Surprise surprise. One big time establishment RINO endorses another big time establishment RINO.

Unfortunately, we here in Utah, Republican or Democrat, will have almost no impact to the Nominees, and Utah will have little to no impact on the eventual Presidential winner of 2016 if he or she were to be a Republican or a Democrat. If Jeb Bush manages to win the Republican nomination, I will send $ to a third party run by Paul or Trump. $ are the only impact we have left unless we could move our insane primary process to a week after IOWA.

• forward thinker Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 3:40 p.m.

THen he must be too liberal and to establishment for me.

(But then I could already see that from the day Jeb Bush announced)

And it isn't Trump either, unless of course he runs third party because the Rhinos nominate Jeb or Mitch, or Christie, or Huckabee. In those cases I would vote for Trump...

Unless the democrats could actually come up with a candidate that is mired up to her/his neck in lies, graft and deceit, and isn't a full blown socialist, or a race baiter.

I really hope that there is one candidate that I can feel good about voting for.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 12, 2015 3:39 p.m.

Mr. Hatch -

Why would you endorse someone with zero chance of winning?

• kranny utah, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 3:33 p.m.

All the more reason not to support Bush. I'm tired of the establishment, and it's time to take our country back from them!!

• axle Riverton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 3:21 p.m.

Would rather not see another Bush as president. The Bush's are just the Kennedy's warmed over. They think it is their God appointed right to be president. Don't like this endorsement Mr. Hatch.

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 3:14 p.m.

The blind leading the blind. No thanks to both.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 3:08 p.m.

Senator-for-life Orrin Hatch will endorse whatever candidate is most like Hillary (he made the right choice this time)and whatever candidate will help him "save" HAFB.

Even though HAFB STILL doesn't need saving.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 2:54 p.m.

Ernest,

no, bundy is not liberal enough for hatch and lyman isn't running.

• C J Alpine, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 2:50 p.m.

If Hatch tries to run again for office, he will lose the republican nomination. I remember in 2012, at my local caucus, people were not for him. One delegate said he would 'vote for Hatch, but I will hold my nose'. This was only because Romney was endorsing Hatch. Now that Hatch's lifeline is gone, if he tries to run again, the delegates will turn on him. They are tired of him.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:50 p.m.

Both are "Acts of Love" amnesty fans.
    No thanks.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:49 p.m.

I'm surprised that Senator Hatch did not endorse former Mormon, now turned Catholic, Marco Rubio. I wonder if Rubio will campaign in Utah? That would be an interesting question/answer meeting.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:40 p.m.

I'm surprised Orrin didn't endorse Cliven Bundy or Lyman the ATV professional.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:31 p.m.

Does this really surprise anyone?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:20 p.m.

RINO votes for RINO - no surprise.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:18 p.m.

Jeb is a proven leader sez Hatch. Same ol same ol.

• Benni SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:18 p.m.

Though I wouldn't want him as president anyway, I can now guarantee that I don't like Jeb. LOL